• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Disable or uninstall MYfaves

Search This thread

SGTDavePwnage

Nov 9, 2008
Ive just updated to the modded rc30 on a uk handset, all seems to be working ok SO FAR apart from Myfaves.

We dont have Myfaves in the UK and my phone keeps sending sms messages to t-mobile Myfaves server. These arnet costing me anything but they all show on my bill (and my bill is now super long).

Ive tried uninstalling it from my phone within the apps section but i cant find the option.

Anyone got an idea of how to disable / uninstall Myfaves??

This would be a great help to anyone in the UK.

Cheers
Dave

*** Have just renamed Myfaves.apk and Odex, my phone stopped syncing data and i lost all my contacts ***
Looks like people in the UK will just have to put up with the SMS messages going onto the bill??

Last edited:

tgranber

Nov 13, 2006
we should have a post to show how to uninstall all applications just in case we install another IM program or something like that. I dont know about you all but I dont want 2 IM programs on my machine if I can uninstall the default one.

SGTDavePwnage

Nov 9, 2008
rm -r /data/data/com.tmobile.myfaves

rm /system/app/MyFaves.odex

rm /system/app/MyFaves.apk

Thanks for the idea....
I renamed those files and it stopped my G1 synching with google.
Have had to rename them back.

I can't advise that its a good idea to put rc30 on a uk handset, no idea whether I will ever get it back onto a uk firmware.

Everything apart from this issue seems to be ok atm.
Will keep you posted if I get any issues, for now its nice to have all the things that the UK rc07 is missing.

bad_one

Jan 7, 2005
Singapore
This would be really bad...

Does this means, all G1 are doing this? What about the users who have a foreign Sim in the phone (like I use my G1 with a Hong Kong Sim).
kind regards
bad_one

mrboyd

Nov 8, 2008
WARNING: It does send SMS on no T-MO network

Does this means, all G1 are doing this? What about the users who have a foreign Sim in the phone (like I use my G1 with a Hong Kong Sim).
kind regards
bad_one

Well I just checked and it seems that it does. (I'm in Dubai, using Etisalat)
I restarted the phone and the log files shows that:

I/MyFaves ( 141): starting service with intent: Intent { comp={com.tmobile.myfaves/com.tmobile.myfaves.MyFavesService} (has extras) }
I/MyFaves ( 141): handleMessage(11)
I/ActivityManager( 49): Stopping service: com.tmobile.myfaves/.MyFavesService
I/MyFaves ( 141): starting service with intent: Intent { flags=0x4 comp={com.tmobile.myfaves/com.tmobile.myfaves.MyFavesService} (has extras) }
I/MyFaves ( 141): handleMessage(0)
I/MyFaves ( 141): sending msg: 16358279011485110001000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 to 453
I/MyFaves ( 141): SMSStatusReceiver.onReceive(extras: Bundle[{id=100}]; resultCode: 1); action: sent
I/MyFaves ( 141): starting service with intent: Intent { comp={com.tmobile.myfaves/com.tmobile.myfaves.MyFavesService} (has extras) }
I/MyFaves ( 141): handleMessage(11)

And again and again... I've been looking at logcat for 5 or 6 minutes and it's the second time I see it trying.. this really sucks.
My provider here is an ass and I'm pretty sure that I'm getting charged even for failed SMS to 453...

So I guess my only option will be to update to the "cracked" RC30 version to be safe and try to remove that piece of junk.

Guys, I think you should stick that high for everyone not using T-Mo to see or there will be some really bad surprise on some bill at the end of the month... I can't believe that **** app is so poorly written it can't check what network it's running on.. :mad:

And that's why we need root! Thanks to everyone who makes it possible.

SGTDavePwnage

Nov 9, 2008
I think everyone who's not using a T-mobile sim needs to look into this ASAP.
If this service is constantly sending out text messages it could be costing people a fortune?????

In the uk people using US rc30 have these texts appear on the bill too, but having spoken to t-mobile they have told me that im not getting charged for them.
I dont imagine that would be the case for none T-mobile customers

Could anyone whos running a non t-mobile sim have a look into this and see if theyre G1 is sending these texts automatically as part of the MyFaves service, and if so are they being charged!!!

neoobs

Retired Moderator
Mar 25, 2008
I tried deleting the apk and odex... it resulted in my contacts being deleted. Boy did that suck LOL... I am going to see what I can do... I have a tmobile sim and still don't like it cause I don't use myfaves.

SGTDavePwnage

Nov 9, 2008
Same happpened to me when I renamed it. I lost all my contacts and my phone wouldn't sync with google at all.

You think this could be a big problem for none t-mobile sims in the g1?
It could cost people loads if its constantly sending sms to another network.

Think we should get this thread renamed and stickied?

humble

Dec 17, 2007
me either there may be a temp solution(but it still will take up space and you'll have to do it every time you turn on the device)

su
root first

ps
(this gives a list of all running services and applications)

then you use the PID number in this code

ex.
kill 1

up above is just an example its kill, space-bar, number(s):D

Might save some money for the time being
(if no t-mobile)

dont know if it works try and let us know
(it will kill the service that much i know)

Last edited:

neoobs

Retired Moderator
Mar 25, 2008
me either there may be a temp solution(but it still will take up space and you'll have to do it every time you turn on the device)

su
root first

ps
(this gives a list of all running services and applications)

then you use the PID number in this code

ex.
kill 1

up above is just an example its kill, space-bar, number(s):D

Might save some money for the time being
(if no t-mobile)

dont know if it works try and let us know
(it will kill the service that much i know)

Doesn't work... the myfaves runs every n minutes

SGTDavePwnage

Nov 9, 2008
I don't think we can just disable it or kill it, contacts dissapear and g1 won't sync anything if its stopped.

I assume this will be affecting everyone who has an unlocked g1 with a diff providers sim in?
If that's the case we really need this fixed asap and people need to be told about this.

Actually....If someone has asked t-mobile to unlock the phone, shouldn't t-mobile tell people that the phone does this?

Anyone any other ideas?

Last edited:

SGTDavePwnage

Nov 9, 2008
Yes, the uk ota doesn't have myfaves on.
Don't know when a new ota will be out over here tho, we are getting no support at all from t-mobile at the moment.

People here (including me) have resorted to installing the US ota just to get some support.
Do we have a download link for rc7 anyway?

I'm happy to backup my rc7 g1 if this will help someone find a way round this.

Got a phone call this week with the uk t-mob android dev team (I threw a massive ***** fit at support), will ask them about a way roind this.....

bad_one

Jan 7, 2005
Singapore
That would be nice, but I am far far away of being a profi in those things, I am happy that I was able to install the update for the modified RC30 on my G1.
I just think a lot of users with foreign simcards will have a bad surprise after the 1st month when they receive the invoice of the telco provider...
I do not need to sync, maybe someone can tell me how to rename those files, I only receive the msg "read-only" file-system.
br
bad_one