Disabling "scoped storage" via ADB on Note 10+ updated to Android 11

paggps

Feb 13, 2006
Hello,
I would like to know, for those who already received stock Android 11 on their Note 10/Note 10+, if the ability to disable the new "scoped storage" via ADB, on a "per-app" basis is really available and working, as described in this article:
The Storage Access Framework is the only way for apps to work with all your files in Android Q. And it’s terrible

At the bottom of the article, ADB commands for disabling / enabling scoped storage are depicted:
Disable:
adb shell cmd appops set your-package-name android:legacy_storage allow && \
adb shell am force-stop your-package-name

Enable:
adb shell cmd appops set your-package-name android:legacy_storage default && \

Did someone try these ADB commands? Teoretically, with these one can fix any compatibility issue with Android 11.

Thank you.

Tanis64

Apr 23, 2010
Mainz
So far for me it didn't work.
Using my Note10+ (Exynos Variant) with Android 11 OnUI 3.0 last updatet by end of january to the second Android 11 release for this device.
Full Samsung Stock and not rootet.
What did I test?
With Samsung's own File Explorer (My Files) on pre Andorid 11 Firmware you have fully access to the Android/data folder on the SD-Card (External Storage).
Since Google mandatory Scoped Storage with Android 11, the Samsung's File Manager My Files only shows an empty directory here.
But via adb shell I have read access to all folders in the directory Android/data on my SD-Card (External Storage)
with ls -lah --color i can see all the subfolders that containing the specific app Data.
Unfortunately the adb shell rm commend doesn't work.
So if there is any Applikation writing to the Android/data/nameofApp Folder this could be running in problems with less storage.
If the App has the option build in to move or delete files from this location this will help, but if not I see no way tzo delete that zombie files from the sd-card, except to remove the card from the device and try to access it via an adapter from the PC or Mac. But this will only work on non encrypted sd-cards!

So i give it a try with the adb shell
after connecting to my device i opened the shell for adb with te command adb shell

Bash:
d2s:/ $ cmd appops set com.sec.android.app.myfiles android:legacy_storage allow && \
> am force-stop com.sec.android.app.myfiles
so i guess the force close was necassary for overtaking the changed app options.

This doesn't change anything, so for me it doesn't work.

The only way, in my opinion, is that samsung is going to request a special Access (MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE) by google for their app my files, as mentioned at the end of the linked youtube video.

Last edited:

blackspy_

Nov 29, 2011
Disable:
adb shell cmd appops set your-package-name android:legacy_storage allow && \

Enable:
adb shell cmd appops set your-package-name android:legacy_storage default && \

Did someone try these ADB commands? Teoretically, with these one can fix any compatibility issue with Android 11.

Thank you.
hi out there

i did try these commands and they worked for Osmand and Sygic, as well as for Root Explorer. of course you have to be rooted.
i am still struggling with windows, not seeing /Android/data on the SDcard though.
would anyone happen to know, to which apps i have to apply those commands to allow windows to write to external/android/data/ ?

what i absolutely do not understand: this scoped storage was introduced to raise security, in the way that apps can't see other apps data. but: looking at internal storage Android/data/ i see all files and i can also overwrite them.

i assume, that these changes will be gone, once you update the apk and you will have to re-apply them. also this is a temporary behaviour - i assume google will in the future prevent these modifications.

conclusion: if i want to use two apps like Guru Maps and Osmand, both of them store around 50 GB of data just for Europe, i have to have all those maps in the internal memory. let's assume i only have 128 GB ... Or, as far as i understood, you can still have the data on the sdcard (some apps can), but everytime you startup the app, it will copy the data to a temp directory to internal memory - which is in fact the same as having the data in internal: you NEED to have the space. i tried with Osmand - it works, but it takes ... around 20 minutes until the app starts.

all this seems not to be very handy to me

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
hi out there

i did try these commands and they worked for Osmand and Sygic, as well as for Root Explorer. of course you have to be rooted.
i am still struggling with windows, not seeing /Android/data on the SDcard though.
would anyone happen to know, to which apps i have to apply those commands to allow windows to write to external/android/data/ ?

what i absolutely do not understand: this scoped storage was introduced to raise security, in the way that apps can't see other apps data. but: looking at internal storage Android/data/ i see all files and i can also overwrite them.

i assume, that these changes will be gone, once you update the apk and you will have to re-apply them. also this is a temporary behaviour - i assume google will in the future prevent these modifications.

conclusion: if i want to use two apps like Guru Maps and Osmand, both of them store around 50 GB of data just for Europe, i have to have all those maps in the internal memory. let's assume i only have 128 GB ... Or, as far as i understood, you can still have the data on the sdcard (some apps can), but everytime you startup the app, it will copy the data to a temp directory to internal memory - which is in fact the same as having the data in internal: you NEED to have the space. i tried with Osmand - it works, but it takes ... around 20 minutes until the app starts.

all this seems not to be very handy to me
Scope storage is a resource hog and serves little or no purpose for experienced users.
Know what you load, monitor, and use a VNP firewall like Karma Firewall* to enforce security.

I refuse to leave Pie for the psuedo security bs of Q and 11. It's performance impact is less noticeable on the even faster cpu's/ram of the newest phones but it's stealing their edge too.

*Karma's logging feature appears to not work with Q and above... you know for security🤣

Tanis64

Apr 23, 2010
Mainz
Scope storage is another 'milestone' on Google's way, which in my opinion goes in the absolutely wrong direction, of taking away more and more rights from the Android user over his device and patronizing the user more and more.
With this, Google takes away a not to be underestimated advantage of its operating system compared to IOS, in addition completely unnecessary because the security of private data can also be ensured in a much simpler way.
For whatever reason Google is going down this path, it once again looks as if this is a side blow against expandable memory, SD cards have always been a thorn in Google's side.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Scope storage is another 'milestone' on Google's way, which in my opinion goes in the absolutely wrong direction, of taking away more and more rights from the Android user over his device and patronizing the user more and more.
With this, Google takes away a not to be underestimated advantage of its operating system compared to IOS, in addition completely unnecessary because the security of private data can also be ensured in a much simpler way.
For whatever reason Google is going down this path, it once again looks as if this is a side blow against expandable memory, SD cards have always been a thorn in Google's side.
Lol, another depth marker as Google heads to crush depth.
Google must be smoking Bill Gates bad stash and are power mad. They want to control everything and everyone. A malignant cancer at this point.

Anyone thinking about loading 11 better read this.
Quick summary; it's a lick on you.

Last edited:
Reactions: winoles