Disappointed in Lollipop implementation by Samsung ( CameraV2 API, RAW support etc )

Search This thread

galaxynote2

Sep 26, 2012
Buenos Aires - Argentina
i heard even nexus 6 dont have those camera controls on stock, is it true?

You heard false facts, mate. Actually, Camera API 2.0 is only supported in two Nexus devices: 5 and 6.

There are great improvements in Lollipop, but they are core improvements, not everything we wanted
We have Material Design! Yay! Cool, it's what we were waiting for.
We have new animations, faster transitions, a much more faster device, bright colors (Mm, Amoled fans, White UI is nice and It doesn't drains the battery. Come on, you're not navigating in the settings app everytime), and more.
There's no new API to the camera, the UI still feels old, and Touchwiz ditched the original Lollipop Statusbar from old builds (see photo below) and more. I hope to have these additions in future updates. Come on! We still have 2 years of support! (or even more, look at the Note 2 getting Lollipop soon!)
Right now I like how it looks. At least better than kitkat...
Waiting for the S6 so we can start porting the new UI to our phone :good:

Reactions: bala_gamer

PieOfJustice

Feb 15, 2011
Error: GPS Unavailable
I'm just hoping they fix the focus problems that are really noticeable on the N910W8 models. In general I'm not happy with the camera. My i5 takes really nice photos and spec wise the Note 4 blows it away yet they look awful. Also the inability to properly lock focus and the amount of noise on pictures is awful. I feel I need a super-nova of light just to get decent pictures.

Blackwolf10

Nov 14, 2012
Duhok
the only problem i have with the new version is the battery life from 100-0 seems to be done by brembo brakes , and i think most of the previous UI looked much better example is the dialer app seems to be a part of kids mode or something , the phone is pretty much lag free and the new keyboard is pretty good

galaxynote2

Sep 26, 2012
Buenos Aires - Argentina
I'm afraid very hard to port because S6 is using entirely new Exynos 7420 and it is not just porting the camera.apk, u gonna port the kernel camera driver and some /system files related.
Camera? No... I know it would be hard. If it was hard to port the Note 2 camera to the GS3 which both had the same processor, I can't imagine in this case. I was talking about the new Touchwiz btw. If Samsung didn't remade the framework from scratch, maybe different apps could be compatible with our Lollipop roms.

jetbruceli

May 8, 2011
Bamberg, Germany
I hate the camera app on the nexus 5. Or should I say the Google camera. It's boring with no features.
At least with Samsung we have some options. And now the camera app has a standard setting for 1080p 60fps.
I do believe before on Kk we could do 60fps on 1080p and below but now I think it's locked to 1080p

Sublation

Jan 5, 2013
My Graphics 3D perfomance drops 50% with Lollipop, same as Multitasking that lost 2000 points, the rest it's better or the same as was on Kitkat, Samsung needs to optimize the GPU on Lollipop right now !

Antutu is garbage. Even on Kitkat I could run it and get 39K, run it immediately again and get 50K.

Any benchmark that runs solely from the phone will not be accurate in the least.

Lollipop is new... there's still a lot of optimization that needs to happen. Especially for 3rd party apps.

Gaming apps are the bottom of the rubbish bin in terms of quality support and development.

Oh but it's all samsungs fault some buggy benchmark software gave you a low score.

Jonathan-H

Sep 27, 2014
Is tbe gallery lag still there when opening from camera . Drives me nuts

On mine, I get this the very first time I go to a picture from the camera. Every single time after that it loads instantly. If you are constantly clearing apps via recents button, this makes it load again and it will keep happening.

As for camera, RAW on a camera phone is a complete waste of time. It's hardly needed for amateur photographers on SLR's either although no one is going to admit it. Too many photo masters in phone forums to admit RAW is overrated lol.

So far lollipop on Note 4 is okay.

Reactions: wintermute000

willowpc

Jul 22, 2013
Linhares
Antutu is garbage. Even on Kitkat I could run it and get 39K, run it immediately again and get 50K.

Any benchmark that runs solely from the phone will not be accurate in the least.

Lollipop is new... there's still a lot of optimization that needs to happen. Especially for 3rd party apps.

Gaming apps are the bottom of the rubbish bin in terms of quality support and development.

Oh but it's all samsungs fault some buggy benchmark software gave you a low score.

Yeah, i solved the problem... full wipe + Wanan 2.0 Lollipop ROM + BOB4 Bootlooader and Modem via ODIN...

Now i can get 48~50k on AnTuTu, bad 3D graphics yet, but better than before, (now i'm with 13.000 points and yesterday i was with 7k points in 3D graphics), not so good as was on Kitkat but acceptable. :silly:

Menneisyys

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2005
www.winmobiletech.com
Raw? DSLR? Carry a camera. It's like you're asking the Note 4 to do it all.

Actually, at least under KitKat, on Snap805-based Note4, you could export RAW-like images from Snap camera HDR. Needless to say, they (assuming good lights) are of much higher quality than out-of-camera JPEG's.

You don't believe this? Just check out my direct comparisons at http://xdaforums.com/note-4/general/shooting-light-best-image-quality-note-4-t3012008

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

As for camera, RAW on a camera phone is a complete waste of time. It's hardly needed for amateur photographers on SLR's either although no one is going to admit it. Too many photo masters in phone forums to admit RAW is overrated lol.

Absolutely wrong. Check out my comparisons linked above.

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

At least with Samsung we have some options. And now the camera app has a standard setting for 1080p 60fps.
I do believe before on Kk we could do 60fps on 1080p and below but now I think it's locked to 1080p

I don't really get what you say. In the stock client, under KitKat,

1, you can use both 30p and 60p while shooting 1080p.
2, you can't use anything over 30p in higher resolutions (hardware restriction). That is, don't expect 4Kp60 or anything.

marleyb

Oct 17, 2007
Amsterdam
instagram.com
Actually, at least under KitKat, on Snap805-based Note4, you could export RAW-like images from Snap camera HDR. Needless to say, they (assuming good lights) are of much higher quality than out-of-camera JPEG's.

You don't believe this? Just check out my direct comparisons at http://xdaforums.com/note-4/general/shooting-light-best-image-quality-note-4-t3012008

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Absolutely wrong. Check out my comparisons linked above.

Great article @Menneisyys :good:

droidelec

Nov 20, 2014
I am really happy with my N910C, faster, more stable, no lag and issues. Lollipop 5.0.1 flying at mine. So many new features, amazing work from Samsung. Actually with this build of 5.0.1 LP I start to like TouchWiz.

Reactions: rj3005

jetbruceli

May 8, 2011
Bamberg, Germany
I don't really get what you say. In the stock client, under KitKat,

1, you can use both 30p and 60p while shooting 1080p.
2, you can't use anything over 30p in higher resolutions (hardware restriction). That is, don't expect 4Kp60 or anything.[/QUOTE

Here is my orginal text
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbruceli

Notice I said 60FPS on 1080p and below? I found out that before if you selected 720p and then selected smooth motion it would lock the resolution to 1080p.
Now they just made it more noticeable

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Samsung not pushing updates? people unhappy. Samsung pushes updates? people unhappy.
    Raw support? on a phone? if you know how to use raw and what its for, you most likely have a DSLR.

Complaints! Complaints everywhere ! :laugh:
    After a day playing with LP on the Note 4 I'm a bit disappointed in Samsung's implementation. For me, the wait for LP was actually only for core feature (as I was perfectly happy with KitKat); Better camera support with LP !! The Note 4 has pretty amazing camera hardware for a phone, which was under KitKat limited by the OS.

Well things have NOT changed with Lollipop. Still no shutter speed control, no support for RAW. It's not LP Camerav2 API compatible Not even with thirdparty camera apps, who do support this on lollipop on other devices. According some developers I spoke (for instance from Camera FV-5) this is because Samsung has been cutting corners (again?) with result that these enhanced options probably will never be available on the Note 4 devices. If they manage to work around it, it will be probably by the time I already have my S6 and Note 5. Yes I know its only a phone camera, but with more (manual) control you can create amazing effects and with RAW support touching up a picture is so flexible and easy in light-room or Photoshop.

Another annoying thing in KK was the recent app button lag. Its a little better but still it lags (I rather think this is touchwiz UI related and not Android related). Finally a crazy move of Google, is to remove the silent mode and replace it with a "partly" broken notification priority schema and Samsung made this even worse by removing scheduled priories from this new feature.

So yes, the phone feels a little snappier in use then when I was running KK, but this limited LP implementation is a bummer for everyone who uses the Note camera regularly. For me it's for sure not what I expected nor I had hoped for. :( Some other things that are not implemented in the Samsung's lollipop release is the Multi-user option and Ambient light option. Honestly I would have rather waited for a month (or two) to receive a proper (more complete and less bugs) Lollipop then what it is now

EDIT: FIX for recent apps button lag in TouchWiz props to @2000Hugo works on kk and lp
    http://xdaforums.com/note-4/help/fix-recent-apps-button-lag-touchwiz-lp-t3033000

my 2 cents :p:p
    Hey everyone I want to tell you my two cents.
    I had the nexus 5 before this n910f, the note 3 before the nexus.
    When the nexus 5 received android 5.01 it was super fast and smooth. But there were a lot of things that I didn't like with the stock rooted Rom.
    Recent tab didn't have a close all
    The notification drop down takes to long to get to the toggles.
    No built in USB otg support. Basically needed an app and root.

Now the note 4 on lollipop is really what I wish the aosp had. Our recent tabs has a close all, the notification has our toggles there and of course native otg USB.
    Plus since I use nova launcher tw isn't harming me.
    This device is for anyone who needs a multi support and who needs the perfect work horse. Not to mention a great camera.
    We can have multi windows, we have a camera that beats anything out there right now. Tw isn't the problem. The problem is the home launcher.
    Just get Google launcher or nova and you should be good to go.

Also the battery is great on lollipop.
    No OEM has implemented the Camera 2 API (L API).
    HTC One M7 - No
    HTC One M8 - No
    LG G3 - No
    Moto X - No
    Moto G - No
    Moto E - No
    Galaxy S4 - No
    Galaxy S5 - No
    Note 3 - No
    Nexus 4 - No
    Nexus 7 - No
    Nexus 10 - No
    Nexus 5 - Yes
    Nexus 6 - Yes

See a common thread? Nothing outside of 2 Nexus phones utilize it, not even Motorola. That tells me that the implementation is very difficult, so difficult that even the closest to Nexus experience Moto X doesn't support it.

I did however read something that said the Note 3 and Note 4 are capable of running it should a developer decide to play with it, but I wouldn't expect the Camera 2 API to be released with any other phones but those that launch with Lollipop.

Edit - don't get upset at OEMs, get upset at Google for yet again dropping the ball on requiring OEMs support new features in OS updates
    Marley, I cannot find any way to make my phone silent at night, other than to turn it OFF.
    I put it on airplane mode last night, and at 2am my phone woke me buzzing... to notify my battery is full.
    ANNOYING!!!
    So please tell me how to do it, I do not see how.

tx

@fredphoesh
    First select which events are priority (interruption) events (in other words, what will NOT be silenced in priority mode ) I don't silence for instance phone calls from some contacts (girlfriend and daughter) then switch on the Interruption priority mode (it will show a star icon in the statusbar ,so you know that NOT configured priority notifications are silenced now) Clock alarm are ALWAYS configured as a priority notification. If you want total silence (not even Alarms that have been set) then set priority to none (circle icon in status bar). If you want to get all notifications again set priority too all (is switched off) Actually it's pretty simple , but stupid that you can't hold the powerbutton to activate the different interruption scheme