Here's what's different to the main tree (See changelog for latest changes in case I forget to update this)
- Packaged to be compatible with cedesmith's new style initrd for easy installation on builds using it
- CIFS support via a module
- mac address patch for wifi/bt by mdebeljuh. See http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=819819
- Built without support for ext3 and yaffs
- Optimized for speed rather than size
- Removed some debug features the average user isn't capable of using anyway (dmesg/logcat still work)
- G-sensor workaround by mdebeljuh & jdivic (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=9208297#post9208297)
- Smartass governor added as default
- Sysfs interface for optional under/overvolting (see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=821372) (800-1350mV)
- Optional overclocking (via SetCPU or similar) to 1536MHz - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - it may damage your phone
- Optional older battery driver with my patch to support the official HTC extended battery (eb version)
Extended battery users extra WARNING!
r8.3+ version with "eb" supports extended batteries using the old driver. r7.7+ temperature reporting for extended batteries is reasonable but NOT accurate. Please see this post for more information.
As of r8.5.3 versions without eb in the name have EXPERIMENTAL (ie it has known bugs) support for extended batteries using a patch to the new driver. More information.
Use this at your own risk.
How to Install the kernel
Download the latest from here:
Release r8.6 - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11373163/Kernels/update.kernel.hastarin.16.12.2010.zip
(Overclock and Undervolt enabled but defaults to normal speeds and voltages)
Release r8.6_eb - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11373163/Kernels/update.kernel.hastarin.eb.16.12.2010.zip
(as above but with older battery driver with extended battery support)
Undervolt 925mV - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11373163/Kernels/update.kernel.hastarin.undervolt925mV.15.12.2010.zip
(optional update to undervolt to 925mV, edit as needed)
NOTE: It would be nice to see a few more clicks of that Thanks button folks.
In the past I've suggested donating to your favorite charity instead of me.
But I've decided due to the amount of time this is now taking to accept some donations. I encourage you to still consider a charity first, such as:
So far I've had enough donations to buy an official HTC extended battery for testing purposes. Future donations will probably be spent on beer, coffee or junk food.
Please only donate if you can spare the money. NOTE: I've all but given up getting extended battery support working with the new driver!
I also can't make any guarantees on how long I can keep investing time in the kernel so please consider any donations to be for past work done, not what I might do in the future.
Finally please note I'm building a kernel here and working on the odd bit of code. The bulk of the work is done by others:
and no doubt more I've missed
Donations to some of them can be made here:
Anyone having issues with this kernel. PLEASE before you post them here, try the following:
- Make sure you reboot twice after installing so files get updated (or manually update them then reboot if your build won't auto update)
- Actually reading the README.txt provided!
- Reading my FAQ
- If that doesn't work try a stock EVO kernel
- If you still have issues with the stock EVO kernel it's nothing I've done and we may have to wait for the devs to fix it.
- If that still doesn't work, then don't use any task killers, and try a clean format of your SD card.
- If that still doesn't work you're out of luck.
A note on the included lights fileFurther Information
- I am running Autokiller (despite it's name this is not an automatic task killer) set to Optimum.
- I do recommend System Panel Lite to be able to see what processes are using your CPU. I DO NOT recommend using any automatic task killer.
- I do recommend using EBL with a 3 sec timeout
- Further recommendations can be found in My FAQ
I talked to gauner1986 (author of the new lights file) and the filename comes from the build.prop file.
It is the ro.board.platform=xxxxxx line in the build.prop file.
xxxxx is also your lights filename. (lights.xxxxx.so)
For example my desire hd build has msm7x30
others I have seen are htcleo, default, qsd8k, ace, bravo.
So you have to rename the lights.htcleo.so that is in hastarins root\system\lib\hw folder to match your builds filename if you want it to work.
Old camera driver versions for builds that haven't been updated to support the new driver yet:
Release r8.5.3_oldcam - http://www.multiupload.com/KTF4ULINT3
(as per base but with old camera driver)
Release r8.5.3_eb_oldcam - http://www.multiupload.com/X6ZTQ9S2ER
(as above but with older battery driver with extended battery support)
- This should work with any build that can use the EVO kernel.
- Data will not work on RMNET based builds.
- For anyone else complaining about no data issues make sure you installed the kernel AND modules correctly, and if you're using an older build you may need to update your WiFi firmware and/or your radio.
- If it's no data over 3G also check your APN settings.
[I]Release r8.6 - 16/12/2010[/I] - Patched Wifi driver to match main tree (fixes wakeup lag when wifi is on) - Thanks Markinus - Updated init script to update calibration data (fixes mac address not working) - Thanks OSM - Enabled extreme overclocking and included speeds from mdeejay's kernel. USE THESE AT YOUR OWN RISK I DO NOT recommend overclocking, you will see little benefit in daily use. [I]Release r8.5.3 - 09/12/2010[/I] - EXPERIMENTAL support for extended battery users (NOT for daily use yet) See http://bit.ly/eDLk0g for more information - REMOVED initrd.gz & haret.exe (by now all recent builds are updated anyway) - REMOVED LeTama's new PPP wrapper and aussiebum's suggested ppp options The latest builds incorporate these changes anyway, and you can get them from the original thread - http://bit.ly/92IBH6 - Modified package to suit cedesmiths initrd.gz - http://bit.ly/foZ1j3 - Trimmed changelog to only include recent changes - Yet another smd_tty patch test [I]Release r8.5.1 - 26/11/2010[/I] - Included LeTama's patch to fix music skipping when turning the screen on - Included root folder structure with LeTama's new PPP wrapper and aussiebum's suggested ppp options ****** WARNING ************ WARNING ************ WARNING ************ WARNING ************ WARNING ****** Includes new camera driver you may need a new camera APK and libraries, etc HTC Desire (Sense) Camera APK - http://www.multiupload.com/0YVTSSQO79 (Thanks mdeejay) Libraries for Desire/Nexus builds - http://www.multiupload.com/1UDF24Y28R (Thanks michyprima) ****** WARNING ************ WARNING ************ WARNING ************ WARNING ************ WARNING ****** [I]Release r8.5 - 23/11/2010[/I] - Reverted my toolchain due to a wierd bug causing increased power drain in r8.4 after calls - Updated smd_tty - This is still experimental but the Beta had 900+ downloads with largely positive feedback - Changed default governor to smartass [I]Release r8.4 - 18/11/2010[/I] - WARNING from 8.3 still applies, see below. - Updated my toolchain to latest CodeSourcery one - Commit messages follow for the rest. Thanks to huanyu for finding most of the patches so I could just git cherry-pick them, and to mdeejay for pointing me to huanyu's git tree. b02a70d Tweak smartass for better performance 260b0ba Added some extra debug info for vdd_level being set on bootup, and fixed another warning in WiFi driver. e9c3ac0 Optimized ARM RWSEM algorithm fea4f78 increase IDLE_TIMEOUT within kgsl_yamato_idle (kgsl_yamato.c) f248e15 msm: kgsl: Remove support for mmap from the kgsl driver. 031a7f7 [ARM] msm: qsd8k: audio 7304611 cpufreq: interactive: Changes to interactive governor c8cec4c cpufreq: interactive: Fix potential division by zero c69e698 msm_kgsl: Optimize TLB flushing 9e35440 msm_kgsl: Move kgsl_sharedmem_init to module load [I]Release r8.3 - 17/11/2010[/I] - Added smartass governor (use SetCPU if you want to try it) - Added sysfs interface for undervolting (see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=821372) - Added g-sensor workaround by mdebeljuh & jdivic (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=9208297#post9208297) - Merged main tree - WARNING: Includes new camera driver with auto white balance bug (but auto focus/zoom works) [I]Release r8.2 - 11/11/2010[/I] - Minor update to enable App2SD again (yes Angry Birds should install without unmounting SD) - Merged main tree as usual (nothing of immediate use in there though) [I]Release r8.1 - 07/11/2010[/I] - Merged main tree again (light sensor changes, lowered verbosity of battery driver, etc) - Included latest liblights to go with the light sensor changes - Removed NFS support - Moved CIFS support to a module - Built with support for tunneling (GRE), may help those with VPN issues [I]Release r8 - 30/10/2010[/I] - MAJOR CHANGES = now closer to main tree - Removed gauner1986s video driver tweaks (they were causing issues merging the main tree) - DOES NOT support extended batteries due to the new ace based driver (until I can figure out a fix, best bet for eb users is to catch myself and/or Markinus on IRC over the next week or so and we may be able to test further) - DOES NOT support Overclocking/Undervolting/AXI My testing shows they provide minimal benefit in day to day use, and tend to cause unpredictable errors that will make troubleshooting remaining issues (like data issues) harder. I may release a kernel with these things when everything is running smoothly, but until then I won't even be running one on my phone. - Perflocked = You can't even underclock with SetCPU. My reasoning is the same as above. - Merged main tree (updated battery driver from Desire HD kernel, plus a tweak to help prevent oom errors) - Updated wifi.mac patch by mdebeljuh (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=8828147) - Added PPP patch from http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/2212 (no this does not fix everything with PPP)