[Discontinued]Dirty Unicorns[UNOFFICIAL][09.12.2018][S9/S9+/N9]

Search This thread

CodeFox

Sep 7, 2014
Manchester
https%3A%2F%2Fdirtyunicorns.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F08%2Fmaxresdefault-1-1.jpg

Dirty Unicorns Semi GSI for Samsung Devices
By CodeFox & OpenSauce9810

What is this?
This is a Semi Generic System Image. That means it's a generic system image that's been optimized as much as possible for our Samsung Devices.

How the heck do I flash this?
It's slightly different than flashing a zip, so here's what you need to do.
  • Download the image file
  • UNCOMPRESS IT .xz is a compressed file. So you can uncompress it with zarchiver from the playstore or 7zip/winrar.
  • Flash the ARH6 Vendor Image to your Vendor Partion from TWRP (Press the Install Image button at the bottom right of where you usually select a flashable zip)
  • Flash the System Image to your System Partition
  • Optional if you want root (but reccomended): Reboot to recovery again then flash your choice of Magisk. I use 17.1 as I can get galaxy wear to work with that version.
  • Reboot your device and you should be good to go! No need to flash gapps as they're included.

• Initial Release

• Updated sources to 9.0 r21 release. (December Security Patch)
  • Gapps included, (dialer and messenger also included so you won't start without a phone or sms app)
  • Bootanimation changed to reduce boot times
  • Tweaks to ambient play ticker so it clears when you clear media notifications
  • Further performance tweaks thanks to @malinathani animations transition smoother now.

• Keystore fixed - You can now use fingerprint within apps (once you've passed safetynet with hideprops module)

Screenshots

YQNnhul.jpg

8BmI4CL.jpg
[/YOUTUBE]
jOf4FqY.png

TlPQqiX.png

2JE3zHi.png

Video Review Thanks to @vmb265
Click here to view video review

Downloads:
System Image GDrive
Vendor Image

Support & Feedback
I'm happy to provide as much support as possible. Through XDA here or you can get in touch with me and the rest of OpenSauce9810 + our community at our Telegram group here
Our telegram also has a bot which will provide you with the latest builds.

If you're happy with the work I've put into this (endless amounts of hours trying to perfect GSI building) then a simple thanks here or clicking the thanks button below is very appreciated!

Credits and Thanks
Dirty Unicorns (The best ROM ever)
Ivan - Thank you for helping me out every now and then when I'm being stoopid.
Rainbow_Dash - Pointing me in the right direction with regards to fixing the errors.
malinathani- For the UI Jank Fix (Used widely in other GSI's now)
GRaf - best tester
The guys in telegram as a whole, thank you for the feedback and support.
phhusson - thank you for your work on project treble.

XDA:DevDB Information
[Discontinued]Dirty Unicorns[UNOFFICIAL][09.12.2018][S9/S9+/N9], ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Contributors
CodeFox, Rainbow_Dash, malinathani, phhusson, Dirty Unicorns, Ivanmeler,
Source Code: https://github.com/DirtyUnicorns/android_manifest

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
ROM Firmware Required: Vendor ARH6
Based On: Dirty Unicorns

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1
Stable Release Date: 2018-12-03

Created 2018-12-03
Last Updated 2019-01-07

@CodeFox Thanks for this rom. I used to make my own Du builds for nexus device. It was sucha an amazing experience.
Would love to try DU for note 9.
Just a couple of questions -
- Does any of the Touch wiz features like, pen related features ( bluetooth control work ) ?
- Phone related features by flashing csc files for specific network still doable ?

PieceofSlice

Oct 27, 2013
Seattle
@CodeFox Thanks for this rom. I used to make my own Du builds for nexus device. It was sucha an amazing experience.
- Does any of the Touch wiz features like, pen related features ( bluetooth control work ) ?
- Phone related features by flashing csc files for specific network still doable ?

Pretty much all Samsung features are lost on AOSP however there are a lot of alternative apps that can "revive" the Spen.

Reactions: CodeFox and Techvir

CodeFox

Sep 7, 2014
Manchester
I flashed this twice. Both times I couldn't get the setup wizard to show up. There are no gapps in the app drawer either.

Can someone confirm? I'm pretty sure I did everything right with the flashing process..

Gapps aren't included. You'll need to download a package from opengapps. Arm64 9.0. I recommend nano.

Don't forget to download a phone and SMS app too.

I copied and pasted from my PE thread so I need to take out the gapps included part. My bad, sorry about that.

Gapps aren't included. You'll need to download a package from opengapps. Arm64 9.0. I recommend nano.

Don't forget to download a phone and SMS app too.

I copied and pasted from my PE thread so I need to take out the gapps included part. My bad, sorry about that.
No problem. Also, the .xz file needs to be extracted and the IMG file in it needs to be flashed to the system partition. I noticed you haven't included this in the flashing instructions ;)

Thank you for the ROM btw

CodeFox

Sep 7, 2014
Manchester
No problem. Also, the .xz file needs to be extracted and the IMG file in it needs to be flashed to the system partition. I noticed you haven't included this in the flashing instructions ;)

I'll update the posts tomorrow. I'm looking after 4 threads at the minute as there's 2 more in the s9 forum ? it's proving to be challenging haha.

You're welcome. This one is a lot smoother than pixel experience.

I'll update the posts tomorrow. I'm looking after 4 threads at the minute as there's 2 more in the s9 forum ? it's proving to be challenging haha.

Haha I can understand. Btw I just restored the galaxy wearable, Samsung accessory service, gear s plugin and Samsung health using titanium backup and I didn't have to reset my gear. It just connected right away and it's working fine now. The backup I made using titanium backup was on Pixel Experience right before I flashed this rom.

I hope it doesn't do a freak reset later.. Too good to be true? :silly:

CodeFox

Sep 7, 2014
Manchester
Haha I can understand. Btw I just restored the galaxy wearable, Samsung accessory service, gear s plugin and Samsung health using titanium backup and I didn't have to reset my gear. It just connected right away and it's working fine now. The backup I made using titanium backup was on Pixel Experience right before I flashed this rom.

I hope it doesn't do a freak reset later.. Too good to be true? :silly:

Hmm thanks for letting me know. I'll give it a go. I really do need to start using titanium backup more often. I usually have problems with apps not notifying me of new posts anymore or them being stuck in the past though.

Hmm thanks for letting me know. I'll give it a go. I really do need to start using titanium backup more often. I usually have problems with apps not notifying me of new posts anymore or them being stuck in the past though.
I agree with you on those issues. Apps like whatsapp are affected with the delayed notifications so I avoid backing it up with titanium backup. Still, the fact that Gear doesn't need to be reset is a big thing. I even toggled Bluetooth on and off multiple times and it still connects to it without any prompt for reset

Leeum

Sep 30, 2014
Straya
I'll update the posts tomorrow. I'm looking after 4 threads at the minute as there's 2 more in the s9 forum it's proving to be challenging haha.

Damn just Flased PixelExperience last night. Will definitely be installing this. I found pe was smooth enough so the fact that this is a lot smoother is really nice. Thanks mate

I agree with you on those issues. Apps like whatsapp are affected with the delayed notifications so I avoid backing it up with titanium backup. Still, the fact that Gear doesn't need to be reset is a big thing. I even toggled Bluetooth on and off multiple times and it still connects to it without any prompt for reset

The ability to restore gear with titanium is something new ... I could not do that till very recently but last week when I did a restore, there was no need to reset the watch and I was amazed..

Imr76

Jun 19, 2016
Hello there. Iam new to. Gsi roms. Needed to ask the flashing steps. Iam on light rom right now with dual sim model.
1. In twrp clear everything. Cache data system
2. Flash vendor image
3. Flash system image

So i was able to boot this rom and everything was working included dual sim. then i downloaded viper for android ,flashed in magisk, restarted and kept in boot loop since.:)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https%3A%2F%2Fdirtyunicorns.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F08%2Fmaxresdefault-1-1.jpg

Dirty Unicorns Semi GSI for Samsung Devices
    By CodeFox & OpenSauce9810

What is this?
    This is a Semi Generic System Image. That means it's a generic system image that's been optimized as much as possible for our Samsung Devices.

How the heck do I flash this?
    It's slightly different than flashing a zip, so here's what you need to do.
    • Download the image file
    • UNCOMPRESS IT .xz is a compressed file. So you can uncompress it with zarchiver from the playstore or 7zip/winrar.
    • Flash the ARH6 Vendor Image to your Vendor Partion from TWRP (Press the Install Image button at the bottom right of where you usually select a flashable zip)
    • Flash the System Image to your System Partition
    • Optional if you want root (but reccomended): Reboot to recovery again then flash your choice of Magisk. I use 17.1 as I can get galaxy wear to work with that version.
    • Reboot your device and you should be good to go! No need to flash gapps as they're included.

• Initial Release

• Updated sources to 9.0 r21 release. (December Security Patch)
    • Gapps included, (dialer and messenger also included so you won't start without a phone or sms app)
    • Bootanimation changed to reduce boot times
    • Tweaks to ambient play ticker so it clears when you clear media notifications
    • Further performance tweaks thanks to @malinathani animations transition smoother now.

• Keystore fixed - You can now use fingerprint within apps (once you've passed safetynet with hideprops module)

Screenshots

YQNnhul.jpg

8BmI4CL.jpg
    [/YOUTUBE]
    jOf4FqY.png

TlPQqiX.png

2JE3zHi.png

Video Review Thanks to @vmb265
    Click here to view video review

Downloads:
    System Image GDrive
    Vendor Image

Support & Feedback
    I'm happy to provide as much support as possible. Through XDA here or you can get in touch with me and the rest of OpenSauce9810 + our community at our Telegram group here
    Our telegram also has a bot which will provide you with the latest builds.

If you're happy with the work I've put into this (endless amounts of hours trying to perfect GSI building) then a simple thanks here or clicking the thanks button below is very appreciated!

Credits and Thanks
    Dirty Unicorns (The best ROM ever)
    Ivan - Thank you for helping me out every now and then when I'm being stoopid.
    Rainbow_Dash - Pointing me in the right direction with regards to fixing the errors.
    malinathani- For the UI Jank Fix (Used widely in other GSI's now)
    GRaf - best tester
    The guys in telegram as a whole, thank you for the feedback and support.
    phhusson - thank you for your work on project treble.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [Discontinued]Dirty Unicorns[UNOFFICIAL][09.12.2018][S9/S9+/N9], ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Contributors
    CodeFox, Rainbow_Dash, malinathani, phhusson, Dirty Unicorns, Ivanmeler,
    Source Code: https://github.com/DirtyUnicorns/android_manifest

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Vendor ARH6
    Based On: Dirty Unicorns

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1
    Stable Release Date: 2018-12-03

Created 2018-12-03
    Last Updated 2019-01-07
    New build released. see OP for details.

Pretty much all Samsung features are lost on AOSP however there are a lot of alternative apps that can "revive" the Spen.

Discontinued as we'll be releasing device specific roms as soon as we can get our hands on the OneUI Kernel Source.