[DISCONTINUED][GSI][10] LineageOS 17.x GSI (all archs)

Should I build *vS variants (with PHH-SU)?

• Build *vS (SU), replacing *vN (no SU)

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build *vS alongside *vN

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Keep things as is

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Don't care

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
640px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

Background:
This is a natural continuation/extension of the LineageOS 16.0 GSIs I've been making since March 2019.
If you clicked in here, I bet you know what LineageOS is already, but just to fill the blank:
LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.
All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS GitHub repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

Disclaimer:
This is still mostly a LineageOS team / PHH @phhusson effort, credits to them and all associated for making all this possible.
No flashing instructions will be offered. If you're here in this forum, you should know what you're doing.
No guarantees that everything would work. This is a GSI, bugs are bound to happen.

Download:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/
Compressed as .xz archives - extract first.
Vanilla except for these changes:
  • Modifications needed to make it build/boot/feature-complete, see below
  • Revived navbar layout tuning via sysui_nav_bar tunable
  • Disabled "vendor mismatch" warning on boot
  • Signature spoofing support from MicroG (preliminary patch for Android 10)
  • Default stretch-to-fullscreen (force apps to render in 18:9)

Extra tip:
If you have a relatively low-end device and experience UI stutters, try this simple build.prop trick (technically a debug property, so use at your own risk). Thanks @SnapTheRipper for bringing it up!

Stuff on GitHub (builders-only):
Since builders' stuff aren't really interesting to end users, I decided not to separately document the modifications needed in this post; instead just check out the scripts/patches, where most things should be self-explanatory: treble_build_los, treble_patches (PHH's treble_patches adjusted for LOS). Not the cleanest code, but should help if you need some clues.

Donate?
https://paypal.me/AndyCGYan

Last edited:

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
Reserved

Couple of things to note:
  • Even on a device that runs Pie GSIs nicely, it's still possible to get broken media, camera, RIL or even flat-out no-boot on Android 10 ones. You are strongly advised to try PHH's AOSP first and identify/report issues there, before moving onto other GSIs that are based on his work. Please report bugs here only if it's specific to this GSI.
  • LineageOS 17.x has lost some features in the process of transitioning to Android 10, e.g. Privacy Guard and built-in SU.
  • If using Magisk on an A-only device, a modified Magisk is required.
  • exfat SD cards still don't seem to work. Any help related to this would be appreciated.
  • The feature "Re-enabled lockscreen shortcuts by default" has been dropped - not that it can't be done, but Google again made ugly changes to the lockscreen, and with the shortcuts turned on it looks asymmetric and adds to the ugliness. Lockscreen shortcuts themselves might still come back with a future upstream update, just like how it did in 16.0.
  • In the 16.0 GSIs I've included changes that allow for automatic front camera actions for Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro, but these have to be reworked for Android 10, and I'm not interested in doing so (in fact I prefer manual controls). Consider these changes abandoned for now.

Last edited:

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
Initial builds are based on PHH v204 and November security patches.
Building-related bits will be published when I have more time to clean them up.

EDIT: Due to some missing bits in LOS, the fix from v204 failed to apply. If you are having camera issue specific to this GSI, refer to this post for a temporary fix. Won't make a separate batch of builds just for this one issue.

Last edited:

Cees1958

May 4, 2019
Thanks great work i have at the moment bugs
The recents not working and the battery indicator and camera is not working
Galaxy J710FN

Last edited:

g0dzstar

Jan 10, 2016
Using ZTE Axon 7.

None of the camera apps work and fingerprint doesnt work. Other than that seems pretty okay for now.

eremitein

May 16, 2017
Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite
@AndyYan hello
i tried your fresh Los17 arm64ab build on the Mi A2 Lite

and faced with big issue - camera not works at all
and screen recorder, and torch
tried opencamera too

but it works in the AOSP v204 and Havoc 3.0 GSI

Attachments

• logs-daisy-los17.txt.zip
    198.7 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: ajislav

Skippy12359

Feb 28, 2018
Congrads to OP, arm Aonly build working well in moto g6 xt1925-6. Used magisk phh 19.3 to root. Seems very smooth, no noticeable lag and ambient display is bright and easy to see when phone is picked up. Very nice. Cheers

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
@AndyYan hello
i tried your fresh Los17 arm64ab build on the Mi A2 Lite

and faced with big issue - camera not works at all
and screen recorder, and torch
tried opencamera too

but it works in the AOSP v204 and Havoc 3.0 GSI

Seems the problem lies here:
Code:
02-04 19:00:13.397   827   827 E vndksupport: Could not load /vendor/lib/hw/camera.msm8953.so from default namespace: dlopen failed: library "libnativeloader.so" not found.
02-04 19:00:13.398   827   827 E HAL     : load: module=/vendor/lib/hw/camera.msm8953.so
02-04 19:00:13.398   827   827 E HAL     : unknown
02-04 19:00:13.398   827   827 E CamProvider@2.4-impl: Could not load camera HAL module: -22 (Invalid argument)
However I'm pretty sure this has been fixed by v204 already, which I did include (it fixed FP on one of my devices). Are you really using the 1117 build? If yes I'll consult PHH about it.

(I reckon you're in the Telegram group as well?)

Last edited:

eremitein

May 16, 2017
Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite
However I'm pretty sure this has been fixed by v204 already, which I did include (it fixed FP on one of my devices). Are you really using the 1117 build? If yes I'll consult PHH about it.

(I reckon you're in the Telegram group as well?)
yes, I'm sure it is 1117 build and I used same base for test. right now I'm on Havoc 3 by ExpressLuke and camera works fine

i like high speed of this los build, it's like a rocket:laugh:

please, fix this bug)) I'm in phh group too, and can test quick fixes if need (@eternityson)

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
yes, I'm sure it is 1117 build and I used same base for test. right now I'm on Havoc 3 by ExpressLuke and camera works fine

i like high speed of this los build, it's like a rocket:laugh:

please, fix this bug)) I'm in phh group too, and can test quick fixes if need (@eternityson)

You're likely right - I just checked the only Oreo vendor device I own and I'm seeing libnativeloader-related errors in log as well. Camera doesn't work on this device even on AOSP v204 so I assumed they were bugging out for the same reason; looks like that's not the case. Good thing I still have at least this Oreo vendor device on hand - this libnativeloader problem (and the corresponding fix in v204) was said to only target Oreo vendors.
I'll do some tests and/or consult PHH - the fix might not be immediate so if you need your phone don't hesitate to switch to other ROMs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    640px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

Background:
    This is a natural continuation/extension of the LineageOS 16.0 GSIs I've been making since March 2019.
    If you clicked in here, I bet you know what LineageOS is already, but just to fill the blank:
    LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
    LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.
    All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS GitHub repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

Disclaimer:
    This is still mostly a LineageOS team / PHH @phhusson effort, credits to them and all associated for making all this possible.
    No flashing instructions will be offered. If you're here in this forum, you should know what you're doing.
    No guarantees that everything would work. This is a GSI, bugs are bound to happen.

Download:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/
    Compressed as .xz archives - extract first.
    Vanilla except for these changes:
    • Modifications needed to make it build/boot/feature-complete, see below
    • Revived navbar layout tuning via sysui_nav_bar tunable
    • Disabled "vendor mismatch" warning on boot
    • Signature spoofing support from MicroG (preliminary patch for Android 10)
    • Default stretch-to-fullscreen (force apps to render in 18:9)

Extra tip:
    If you have a relatively low-end device and experience UI stutters, try this simple build.prop trick (technically a debug property, so use at your own risk). Thanks @SnapTheRipper for bringing it up!

Stuff on GitHub (builders-only):
    Since builders' stuff aren't really interesting to end users, I decided not to separately document the modifications needed in this post; instead just check out the scripts/patches, where most things should be self-explanatory: treble_build_los, treble_patches (PHH's treble_patches adjusted for LOS). Not the cleanest code, but should help if you need some clues.

Donate?
    https://paypal.me/AndyCGYan
    Reserved

Couple of things to note:
    • Even on a device that runs Pie GSIs nicely, it's still possible to get broken media, camera, RIL or even flat-out no-boot on Android 10 ones. You are strongly advised to try PHH's AOSP first and identify/report issues there, before moving onto other GSIs that are based on his work. Please report bugs here only if it's specific to this GSI.
    • LineageOS 17.x has lost some features in the process of transitioning to Android 10, e.g. Privacy Guard and built-in SU.
    • If using Magisk on an A-only device, a modified Magisk is required.
    • exfat SD cards still don't seem to work. Any help related to this would be appreciated.
    • The feature "Re-enabled lockscreen shortcuts by default" has been dropped - not that it can't be done, but Google again made ugly changes to the lockscreen, and with the shortcuts turned on it looks asymmetric and adds to the ugliness. Lockscreen shortcuts themselves might still come back with a future upstream update, just like how it did in 16.0.
    • In the 16.0 GSIs I've included changes that allow for automatic front camera actions for Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro, but these have to be reworked for Android 10, and I'm not interested in doing so (in fact I prefer manual controls). Consider these changes abandoned for now.
    Updated all variants with July security patches and in sync with PHH v221. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]

It's been a quiet month on both AOSP and PHH fronts...
    Updated all variants with February security patches and in sync with PHH v212. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]

All good and healthy here despite the coronavirus situation (naturally, I just stay indoors all day). Thanks for your concerns :)
    Updated all variants in sync with PHH v208. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]
    Skipped r18 (December patch) for aforementioned instability.
    No more updates for the rest of 2019! (lol)

BTW, here's a tip straight from PHH's TG channel, for those who are having trouble with GAPPS setup wizard:
    In ADB:
    adb shell settings put secure user_setup_complete 1
    adb shell settings put global device_provisioned 1
    This should skip the wizard entirely while also setting the proper flags.