• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Discontinued][KERNEL][AOSP][Linux 3.0.101] Sultan kernel [r44.5 10/29/2013]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

fyremedik

Aug 12, 2010
West Palm Beach
So far I can't seem to resize my widgets in ADW launcher EX.

This kernal seems very fast and smooth so far. Good work!

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354936039245.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354936039245.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 13,704
Last edited:

psycho693

Mar 4, 2011
Tillsonburg
It won't boot for me and if its not too much can you make a version that has 1512 and badass governor?

I'm just asking like you said I should :) thanks for your work so far

Sent from my Sensation using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Sultanxda

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
It won't boot for me and if its not too much can you make a version that has 1512 and badass governor?

I'm just asking like you said I should :) thanks for your work so far

Sent from my Sensation using Tapatalk 2

Ouch, your Sensation can't handle 1.728GHz. I'll make a 1.512GHz on boot version (assuming my laptop won't act stupid, it shouldn't take that long) but I'm a little reluctant to add Badass because its primary goal is to save battery, and when I used it my phone went really slow. If enough people agree with you, however, then I'll add it.
UPDATE: 1.512GHz version added in the Download section! Enjoy!

Last edited:

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
Hthere, can somebody advice if this kernel can be used in SENSE ROM ? Thanks.

This is not for Sense because there are no Sense ROMS based off of Jelly Bean. Even then, this kernel was not designed for Sense ROMS (nor was it designed for Ice Cream Sandwich) and I have not tested it on a Sense ROM. You can still try it on a Sense ROM and see if the Wi-Fi works as I am pretty confident it'll at least boot up.

haifish9999

Nov 22, 2011
Ha Noi
Ouch, your Sensation can't handle 1.728GHz. I'll make a 1.512GHz on boot version (assuming my laptop won't act stupid, it shouldn't take that long) but I'm a little reluctant to add Badass because its primary goal is to save battery, and when I used it my phone went really slow. If enough people agree with you, however, then I'll add it.
UPDATE: 1.512GHz version added in the Download section! Enjoy!

+1
I've totally agree, badass govenor only for good battery life but not enough good for performance. I never badass govenor to choose for using some kernel. For me ondemamd govenor is the best,give me a balance between battery life and performance. Try downloading,flashing it and report later. Thanks for hardwork.

chihliouma

Feb 3, 2008
This is not for Sense because there are no Sense ROMS based off of Jelly Bean. Even then, this kernel was not designed for Sense ROMS (nor was it designed for Ice Cream Sandwich) and I have not tested it on a Sense ROM. You can still try it on a Sense ROM and see if the Wi-Fi works as I am pretty confident it'll at least boot up.

OK, I've tested in the SENSE ROM, and it WORKS well so far including the WIFI. Thanks and will see if any advantage of this kernel compared with the others.

PS. just found out that the USB connect to PC won't work. I feel this kernel is very smooth and it will be highly appreciated if you can make some modification to make USB work ? Thanks.

Last edited:

valefour

Sep 18, 2011
I second the installation of badass. I love performance but with that comes battery drain and I use my phone a lot while I'm away from chargers. It would be nice to have a choice to save battery when I know I won't be able to get to a charger for a while.
Thanks for your work.

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
OK, I've tested in the SENSE ROM, and it WORKS well so far including the WIFI. Thanks and will see if any advantage of this kernel compared with the others.

PS. just found out that the USB connect to PC won't work. I feel this kernel is very smooth and it will be highly appreciated if you can make some modification to make USB work ? Thanks.

That could be ROM related. If it isn't ROM related then it's probably due to fact that my kernel isn't designed for Sense. Try installing a different kernel like Bricked to see if USB works. If it works with Bricked and it doesn't work with my kernel then sorry, I can't do anything about it.

Reactions: Mesaman2012

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
I second the installation of badass. I love performance but with that comes battery drain and I use my phone a lot while I'm away from chargers. It would be nice to have a choice to save battery when I know I won't be able to get to a charger for a while.
Thanks for your work.

Once/if the number of users increases, I'll start a poll asking whether or not badass should be added (maybe a few days to a week from now). Thanks for your feedback :)

valefour

Sep 18, 2011
Once/if the number of users increases, I'll start a poll asking whether or not badass should be added (maybe a few days to a week from now). Thanks for your feedback :)

That sounds fair enough.
Just installed and tested the 1.7 and it seems super quick. Everything seems to be working well. Good job!
Edit: I'm on paranoid android by dragonkorr

HunnyBearLewis

Mar 21, 2011
Though I do like badass governor, if the kernel is meant primarily for performance, I for one would like to see OnDemand included. It's always worked well in performance terms for me. Thanks for sharing buddy :good:

DragunKorr

May 10, 2012
Hell ON Earth
www.dragunkorr.com
Performance governor is just that wide open quick response only if willing to have serious battery drain!

From my personal exp.
Badass,smartass,ondemand,brazilianwax,Lionheart,Wheatley etc. These govorners have a broader range for specific needs!

1152-6 is best overclock and is considered the kernel sweet spot
Anything more beyond this level is more cumbersome and can and will cause freezing in selected devices!

Here is my old kernel got for dev with 20 or so governors he can use if he chooses
https://github.com/R-M-S/RMS_DragunKernal_V.10-MAX-8-29-2012_3.0.42/tree/master/drivers/cpufreq

Sent from my DKOSP 3.1P using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

rush420

Feb 14, 2011
aiken
So far so good checked to see if USB worked an it does it just didn't ask just connected open c drive up an there it was cool good job!!

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is very old, and as such, is discontinued.
    Discontinued.
    I might, just might, have time to look at the 3.4 kernel later this weekend. Shouldn't be too hard to get it up and running.
    Sooo did you by any chance have time to look at the3 new kernel :)?

Yes, I did. But only briefly. I usually take the following steps when porting a newer kernel;

1. Identify all of the components used (Like, which chips are used.. e.g, noise cancellation, light sensor, proximity. etc.)
    2. Add the machine to the machine id-list
    3. Copy + Paste old board files
    4. Copy + Paste/Look for newer chip-drivers
    5. Start working on the board-files to work with the newer kernels. (Like, when I ported 3.0 to QSD8K (Used 2.6.38 before) all of the irq's had been changed to use irq_set_irq instead of just set_irq.)
    6. Get it compiling
    7. Get it to reboot before reaching not working code
    8. Get it to give me a log
    9. Get it to boot
    10. Get it stable
    11. Win.

Probably missed a couple. Anyhow, porting a kernel isn't a one-day-job. And the existing 3.4 kernel is basically a copy + paste from Ville C2.. Not very clean. I thought it was a job done from the ground but I was wrong, so it will take me a while.. If I even decide to do this.

Edit: https://github.com/nikez/android_kernel_htc_qsd8k/commits/3.0-wip if you'd like to see a "job done from the ground".
    Edit 2: I started working on it. I won't be using XDA for it. I'll be posting through Twitter. (@LaidbackNikez on Twitter).
    After nearly 3 months since the last stable kernel release :eek:, r24 stable has finally been completed (hopefully it's stable for everyone :p). Enjoy! :)