Re: [KERNEL][LINARO][-O3][Linux 3.0.38] Sultan kernel [r1 2/19/2013]

Great to see a kernel dev here! Downloading now

Sent from my HTC Holiday using xda premium

bproulx

Jan 5, 2012
Ajax
Google Pixel 3 XL

Omg..super excited. Already downloaded but gotta watch walking dead. Will test tomorrow and report back. Woot! This is gonna be awesome!

Sent from my Vivid 4G using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Sultanxda

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
Great to see a kernel dev here! Downloading now

Sent from my HTC Holiday using xda premium

Omg..super excited. Already downloaded but gotta watch walking dead. Will test tomorrow and report back. Woot! This is gonna be awesome!

Sent from my Vivid 4G using xda app-developers app

Whoa there are still people here in this forum! Look at the future changelog for r2 ;) I would've preferred adding these to r1 but I don't own a Vivid so other people will have to test those features to make sure that they work.

mg2195

Dec 5, 2011
RSM

For jellybean...your gonna want to base the source off this https://github.com/htc-msm8660/android_kernel_htc_msm8660 it contains a lot of fixes that the outdated kangbang source doesn't have...

Btw, great to have another dev around :D look forward to your work...maybe you can help with the call volume issues since your used to MSM8660 devices...then again our vivid seems to always have unique fixes

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: lucasryan

dsp26

Aug 23, 2009
Brisbane
Will vouch for android1234567 as i have been using his kernel since the sensation. I guarantee none of you will get rid of the vivid once you feel the full sultan kernel with crossbreeder and frandom support.

will pledge another donation for when it. catches up to tje senny r20.8 :)

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
For jellybean...your gonna want to base the source off this https://github.com/htc-msm8660/android_kernel_htc_msm8660 it contains a lot of fixes that the outdated kangbang source doesn't have...

Btw, great to have another dev around :D look forward to your work...maybe you can help with the call volume issues since your used to MSM8660 devices...then again our vivid seems to always have unique fixes

I didn't want to use Intervigilium's source because Intervigilium decided to make his source as close to stock as possible. What that means is no voltage control, overclock, GPU overclock, etc., basically nothing unique. Also, since I don't actually own a Vivid, patching that source with all those features would be difficult because I'd have to be testing everything after adding a feature (to make sure that it's working properly and that it boots up).

I also looked at the commit history and there isn't any fix that's crucial or necessary for the Holiday, so there is no downside to using KangBang source. If I find a commit that's interesting in Intervigilium's commit history then I'll just patch the KangBang source with it.

Will vouch for android1234567 as i have been using his kernel since the sensation. I guarantee none of you will get rid of the vivid once you feel the full sultan kernel with crossbreeder and frandom support.

will pledge another donation for when it. catches up to tje senny r20.8 :)

R1 already has frandom support :) Most of the performance features from my Sensation kernel are in r1, but there are still a few left that I'll have you all test.

dsp26

Aug 23, 2009
Brisbane
I didn't want to use Intervigilium's source because Intervigilium decided to make his source as close to stock as possible. What that means is no voltage control, overclock, GPU overclock, etc., basically nothing unique. Also, since I don't actually own a Vivid, patching that source with all those features would be difficult because I'd have to be testing everything after adding a feature (to make sure that it's working properly and that it boots up).

I also looked at the commit history and there isn't any fix that's crucial or necessary for the Holiday, so there is no downside to using KangBang source. If I find a commit that's interesting in Intervigilium's commit history then I'll just patch the KangBang source with it.

R1 already has frandom support :) Most of the performance features from my Sensation kernel are in r1, but there are still a few left that I'll have you all test.

so its different to the test3 you sent earlier... thee goo. im server is currently down... either way cant wait.

kernel tuner tells me that mpdecision turns off... knowing the issues with the senny il uninstall it and keep an eye with system panel lite instead

antutu gave me a score of 8192 on your test3 release with 1566mhz cpu

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
so its different to the test3 you sent earlier... thee goo. im server is currently down... either way cant wait.

kernel tuner tells me that mpdecision turns off... knowing the issues with the senny il uninstall it and keep an eye with system panel lite instead

antutu gave me a score of 8192 on your test3 release with 1566mhz cpu

Goo.im is working for me right now :confused:

And yes, r1 has quite a bit more features than the test3 I sent you ;)

dsp26

Aug 23, 2009
Brisbane
Goo.im is working for me right now :confused:

And yes, r1 has quite a bit more features than the test3 I sent you ;)

"Server Offline. Please hang tight while we get this resolved."
just got home... oh well happy to wait :) :victory:

also you probably may want to include the original crossbreeder link to your op as not many kernels support it and not many even knowing about it:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2113150

as i'm selling both my sensations, i never really got to try that swap you added.. will read about it in the other thread.. i'm guessing its different or supplementary to the other mod with swap in cache?

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
"Server Offline. Please hang tight while we get this resolved."
just got home... oh well happy to wait :) :victory:

also you probably may want to include the original crossbreeder link to your op as not many kernels support it and not many even knowing about it:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2113150

as i'm selling both my sensations, i never really got to try that swap you added.. will read about it in the other thread.. i'm guessing its different or supplementary to the other mod with swap in cache?

Whaaaat Goo.im is down again :eek:

The Aroma installer for r20.8 of my Sensation kernel has an option for softswap, however, because I don't have a physical device to test, an Aroma installer is out of the question with this kernel. With an Aroma installer I have to check if the settings will work, which mods work with the phone, the directories for all the settings, etc. Sorry =\

ALSO, all kernels support CrossBreeder but very few kernels support frandom. Frandom makes CrossBreeder much faster; this is feature #5 of CrossBreeder:
5. Frandom support - CrossBreeder now supports linking both your random devices to the extremely fast alternative - Frandom ( http://billauer.co.il/frandom.html ). This module is orders of magnitude (10-50 times) faster than the standard character devices ( Check this out - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37409586&postcount=134 ). The erandom character device also installed by Frandom doesn't use up system entropy at all on top of being fast. You will need to ask your ROM developer to develop the kernel module for you and then place it in /system/lib/modules. CrossBreeder will then try and load it and if successful, make all the necessary adjustments so that both /dev/random and /dev/urandom are pointing to /dev/frandom and /dev/erandom respectively. The speed benefits are to be seen to be believed. But since each ROM requires a unique kernel module, this option is left optional ( but auto detect ).

Last edited:

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer

:good: :victory:

Antutu and quadrant scores in my sig.

however, cpu1 is staying in ondemand 384mhz=1566mhz

Download No-frills CPU Control and in the settings for No-frills prevent other apps from changing the CPU settings.

Sent from my Sensation using xda app-developers app

ess.boyer

Jun 11, 2012
Saint John, NB
Awesome! I'm trying this out currently. Seems VERY fast! I'll give it a couple days to see what the battery life is like. I am skeptical that we can get THIS much performance increase without battery life going into the toilet, but I'm hopeful anyway.

One thing I was hoping for would be increased in-call volume, which seems to be the same so far. Volume controls still don't affect the vol level in-call. No confirmation on if the echo is gone for the person you're speaking to. I'll update when I find out.

Either way, it's GREAT to have more options :) Thanks for your hard work, especially considering you don't even have a Vivid!

EDIT: Update - CRT-Off is missing (or excluded)

Last edited:

mg2195

Dec 5, 2011
RSM

For jellybean...the in call Mic was fixed...not sure if you implemented the fix into your kernel...but if you haven't that's a pretty crucial thing

Anyways like I said earlier glad to have another dev around..especially a kernel dev :D

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer

Awesome! I'm trying this out currently. Seems VERY fast! I'll give it a couple days to see what the battery life is like. I am skeptical that we can get THIS much performance increase without battery life going into the toilet, but I'm hopeful anyway.

One thing I was hoping for would be increased in-call volume, which seems to be the same so far. Volume controls still don't affect the vol level in-call. No confirmation on if the echo is gone for the person you're speaking to. I'll update when I find out.

Either way, it's GREAT to have more options :) Thanks for your hard work, especially considering you don't even have a Vivid!

EDIT: Update - CRT-Off is missing (or excluded)

Battery life should be better because I ripped out all the debugging garbage I could find. Does CRT-off work with Intervigilium's kernel?

For jellybean...the in call Mic was fixed...not sure if you implemented the fix into your kernel...but if you haven't that's a pretty crucial thing

Anyways like I said earlier glad to have another dev around..especially a kernel dev :D

Could you check and see if the in call mic works? Thanks.

Sent from my Sensation using xda app-developers app

XxSHaDoWxSLaYeRxX

Apr 26, 2012
Houston
www.ps3hax.net

.? Hey bro could you help me get started on making a kernel for this device

Sent from my Vivid 4G using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

In call mic works

Sent from my Vivid 4G using Tapatalk 2

l0000l

Jan 1, 2012
None of vivid kernel don't have OTG Host support.
it will be great if you add this to your kernel.

i have try to add this to an htc source kernel, it work but some modules like wifi,.. don't work after that (don't have enough knowledge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is very old, and as such, is discontinued.
    Changelog

Discontinued.
    i've been in the habit of once in a while pushing a microscopic dab of silicone grease into the tip of the male connector before plugging it into the phone. Do it often enough to keep the connectors lubed.

In my testing of r4b3, it has been a bit less stable than the stock CM10 kernel. i notice that after a day or two the app i use to switch governors, CPU Tuner, seem to have problems. Phone starts to feel a bit dicky after that. Sometimes it locks up and it's time to pull the battery. Mebbe i'll try some kindo OC daemon.

Battery use with r4b3 on my phone can go down to 76-78mAh during sleep. The latest CM10 kernel will go down to 56-60mAh.

The phone is speedier to use with the Sultan kernel.

Edit: i was so happy to find the USB port on the Vivid is a replaceable part, not soldered onto the circuit board. Buttons seem to be separate as well from the circuit board; i found the part for sale when i was cruising ebay for the USB port, which was around $9USD plus shipping.

Tomorrow is my last day of school (and finals!). Instead of working on the kernel immediately I'm going to try and get CM10.1 booting for you guys. So far I got it to build without errors but it doesn't boot :(

PS: I may have found a way to increase the call audio from the ROM ;) Going to test it on my Sensation first to see if it works
    I made a boot.img of the r1 kernel for s-on (Not sure if i did it right.. first boot.img i made and all i did was replaced zImage in my rom boot.img.) It flashed for me so it should work... I'm running a sense 4.1-4+ rom and you should also add the modules from the flashable zip after flashing as well so wifi works

Well, there's a problem. The S-ON version requires a boot.img file instead of a zImage and I have no idea how to make a boot.img, plus I'd need the ramdisk file to make a boot.img. How did you create that boot.img? For now I'll upload r2b1 S-OFF (I spent the last 4 hours working on r2b1 :eek:).

UPDATE: R2b1 uploaded! Download link is under beta in the Download section of the OP. If r2b1 doesn't boot up then I am going to scream :eek:

I have spring break next week, so I'll have some more free time to work on this kernel :)