[DISCONTINUED][MINIMALISM] Google Play 3.10.10 | Market ONLY Gapps

Spleeno

Sep 18, 2012
I'm using f-droid now, so no need for custom/small gapps anymore ;)
If you're still looking to downsize your gapps, feel free to check out stuff like this as mentioned by b1k3rdude in the last post

Old Post Below:

So, you just installed this fresh ROM (most likely CyanogenMod-based) and you want to start using the market, but installing the stock gapps gives you alot of stuff that you plan on deleting and/or downloading anyway?

Fear not!

I present to you 4 update-scripts that will simply and only install Google Play without bloat on ROMs with no gapps installed - all the libs in the gapps-zips are left intact.
So you can start getting only those gapps you need via market and not waste precious space on /system.

Gingerbread (2.3.x): http://code.google.com/p/no-bloat-market/downloads/detail?name=gb-signed.zip
Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.x): http://code.google.com/p/no-bloat-market/downloads/detail?name=ics-signed.zip
Jelly Bean (4.1.x): http://code.google.com/p/no-bloat-market/downloads/detail?name=jb41-signed.zip
Jelly Bean NEW (4.2.x): http://code.google.com/p/no-bloat-market/downloads/detail?name=jb42-signed.zip

If you are fine with leaving out the libs/permissions/etc (and maybe not being able to run all the gapps from the market...) you can just load the matching zip and adb push the 2/3 minimum requirements to /system/app
Thats the no-bloat version to just get the newest market and save even more space, but use it at your own risk.
The minimum needed apks are...

For Gingerbread:
Code:
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
Vending.apk
For Ice Cream Sandwich/Jelly Bean:
Code:
GoogleLoginService.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
Phonesky.apk
All credit goes to the CyanogenMod-Team and RootzWiki for their Gapps-zips

Last edited:

Spleeno

Sep 18, 2012
so, did you clean the cache and dalvik cache after pushing the files to /system/app?
and if you're using the script to push the files: I didnt include any delete routine, so you have to delete all of the preexisting files from the filelist (its meant for a clean cyanogenmod install after all...)

bergs89

Feb 22, 2012
so, did you clean the cache and dalvik cache after pushing the files to /system/app?
and if you're using the script to push the files: I didnt include any delete routine, so you have to delete all of the preexisting files from the filelist (its meant for a clean cyanogenmod install after all...)
THANK YOU! :laugh: i didn't clean anything! i'll try as soon as i can!

ibub

Oct 22, 2012
Louisville,Ky
No, the new version is great. Was just making an observation.

the thanks button is a good quick way to acknowledge that you've read a post. :thumbup: sent from the p509 that I thought I killed... just a temporary setback :cool:

mmittelb

Oct 22, 2012
Permissions

Hey thanks for your the zip. It works well. But I found a little misstake. You need to copy over the /etc/permission files otherwise a few apps in the market wont work (Incompability). At least for me they didn't.

Spleeno

Sep 18, 2012
The original idea was to waste as little space as possible and tbh I didnt think anyone would install a debloated gapps zip and afterwards load all those gapps via market :D
Main problem that I see here is that the size difference is quite a big one, like if I just replace the 3 apks in a stock JB 4.2 cm-gapps zip, get rid of all the unused apks and leave all of the libs/etc it goes down to 86 MB (from 104 MB) while my JB 4.2 zip is just 6 MB to start with...
I'll look into it for the GB zip, but not so sure about the JB ones.

Last edited:

mixednuts

Sep 30, 2007
You need to copy over the /etc/permission files otherwise a few apps in the market wont work (Incompability). At least for me they didn't.
The original idea was to waste as little space as possible and tbh I didnt think anyone would install a debloated gapps zip and afterwards load all the google apps via the market :D
I believe that quite a number of users want to have just the Play Store going, after a fresh ROM install, so that they have the opportunity to install the apps, including Google ones, as user apps.

Main problem that I see here is that the size difference is quite a big one, like if I just replace the 3 apks in a stock JB 4.2 cm-gapps zip and leave all of the libs/etc it goes down to 86 MB (from 104 MB) while my JB 4.2 zip is just 6 MB...
Didn't realize the permission files were that large, so d'you think the libs are required as well?

Reactions: ibub

Spleeno

Sep 18, 2012
Didn't realize the permission files were that large, so d'you think the libs are required as well?
I'm not sure if all the libs get installed when installing gapps via google play, so its easier to play it save and just keep everything (except for the unused gapp apks so I can free up the /system a bit)
Will look into the whole thing over the weekend, expect some updates on sunday...