[DISCONTINUED][RAM] darkstone SuperRAM Sense v0.1 [kernel: Hastarin EB]

Search This thread

DarkStone1337

Nov 19, 2006
leepriestenator said:
MODERATOR WARNING!

All of us here are ecstatic that DS is back. This new Build marks the next level in Android Development for WinMo phones. It's a very exciting time but there are a few things we all need to keep in mind.

1) No THANK YOU Posts. Anyone found doing so on high volume threads will be given as infraction. We have implemented a new THANKS button here at XDA. Use that to convey your gratitude.

2) The first few pages of this thread have already informed us of this build being incredibly fast. Everyone knows it now which means NO more "This is so FAST!" posts.

3) There are several issues with this build, which have come to light over the last 30 pages. Check to see if your problem has been listed (Chances are that 999 out of 1000 are already listed). If it is, then you are not allowed to post asking for a solution to the same problem.

4) STRICTLY NO REQUESTS!
Any discussions in this thread have to be limited to the build provided here. No discussions and arguments about the pros and cons of Sense Builds.

5) NO asking for ETA of the next build.

Any deviation from the above will result in an Infraction.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------
SuperRAM Sense by darkstone1337
Version 0.1
Release: 30-December-2010
Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=10180198[/SIZE][/U][/B]

If you don't know anything, SEARCH GOOGLE FIRST.

What is SuperRAM Sense?
- It is a Sense rom with some modifications added, but kept as close to stock as possible. The only thing that is modified is the keyboard, camera and some icons.

What is special about this build?
- What is special about this build is parts of the Android O/S filesystem are stored in RAM before it is booted.

What does this mean?
- Well, RAM is faster than NAND(ROM) and SD Card which in turn will make the build superfast too! Very fast. Very very fast!

I don't understand what NAND(ROM) or RAM is!
- NAND is a slower memory type (ROM) which is designed to hold data even after the phone is turned off. This is where your Windows Mobile operating system is stored.
- RAM is a much faster memory type which is designed to hold information on a temporary basis. After your phone is turned off, the data in RAM is lost.
- Running Android on your HD2 does not touch your ROM in any way! So when you turn off the phone and turn it back on, Windows Mobile will be loaded. No changes are made to ROM.

Does this mean I'm going to lose the stuff that I put in Android when my phone goes off or crashes?!
- NO. Only the operating system files for this build will be stored in RAM. User data and downloads will be saved to your SD card in a special file called data.img
- Remember if your phone crashes in Android, nothing will affect your Windows Mobile operating system since this build runs off RAM.

What other advantages does this build have?
- Unlike normal builds which are ran from the SD card, this build will not stress your SD card nearly as much. This will allow faster transfer speeds and less chance of data corruption.
- Battery usage will be less than SD card based builds as the operating systems files will be accessed from RAM instead of the SD card.
- Quick android boot!

Something isn't working properly!
- First of all check the build thread by SEARCHING FIRST to see if there is a solution to your problem or if it is already listed as a known issue. If there is no solution and the problem has not been posted by someone else, ONLY THEN should you post here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=10180198
- Please include details about the issue, such as how to replicate the problem.

Installation and Setup:

Make sure that you do not have another Android folder on your SD card. If you do, then either rename the folder or back it up to another location and delete the folder.

Copy the folders named Android and media to the ROOT of your SD card. If you don't know what the root of the SD card is, look here: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080521052942AAMW3kA

On your HTC HD2, use file explorer to browse to the Android folder on your SD card. Run the program CLRCAD.EXE (nothing is supposed to show up when you run this program.). Then run haret.exe.

You will now see a green HTC logo on a black background for a couple of seconds, then you will see nothing but a blank screen for a couple of seconds.

After this, you will see the HTC Sense unlock screen.

Notes:

- My own personal thought. I don't know if Sense was worth putting into RAM, I guess I like challanges so I gave it a go. I'm not promising amazing speed with this build.

- Upon booting, your HTC Sense launcher will contain no widgets or icons. It is up to yourself to add widget and icons.

- I have included a 1GB data.img, however you can use any size that you wish if you have your own data.img.
- I highly recommend starting with a new data.img regardless of whether you have used this build previously. There are some changes that may conflict with your current image.

- If you wish to make changes to the build, use the file structure in Android/root/ on your SD card to put your modified files in. They will be copied upon boot. Do not worry if they are not deleted, this is normal.

- Robot voice issue may occur when in a call. If this happens, during the call ENABLE THE LOUDSPEAKER, then DISABLE THE LOUDSPEAKER then END THE CALL. Do this exactly and every call after will no longer have this issue.

- You are left with around 250MB+ free RAM after booting the build. This is enough memory for anything!

- Build.prop is easy to modify, I have included a copy in /Android/root/system on the SD card. Modify this as you with and your changes will be copied over upon the boot of Android. If you mess something up, just delete the file and the changes won't be applied upon next boot. This goes for any file you put in the Android/root/ folder.

- I'm not going to be like other chefs and say "THE BATTERY LIFE IS EXCELLENT I PROMISE" etc. Everyone's setup is different, just test the build for yourself!

- Forget quadrant scores! If you're judging this build by quadrant scores then I pity you. This type of build is different from other builds, yes the quadrant scores may not be in the 2000+ range, but honestly, can you actually say to me that this build is slower than other builds that have a higher score? I sure hope not.

- The base rom is from Lambros Custom Rom r4 Desire rom which has been modified by myself: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=745447
- The initrd and CSSync updates is based on that from cedesmith. However, I've modified the initrd for my own build.
- The PPP wrapper update is from LeTama's thread, version 0.7
- The HaRet loader is custom made by NetRipper, thanks to him for helping me increase the initial ramdisk size limitation!
- The HTC EVO keyboard is from motoman234 : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=810338
- The modified HTC EVO Camera is from iamgpc : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=829534
- Thanks to LeTama for providing a way to create my own htcleo.acdb file!

For developers only:
- The kernel included is hastarin's r8.6 eb kernel, taken from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=787588
- Kernel source: http://www.gitorious.com/~hastarin/linux-on-wince-htc/hastarins-linux_on_wince_htc

Bugs Fixed in version 0.1:
- No more data corruption. I have enabled sync in initrd.
- Robot voice is very rare now during calls. It should only happen once when you boot for the first time.
- No more high battery drain during sleep! Refer to my post here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=10179562&postcount=2293

Bugs Remaining:
- Notification LED's only blink once, use LED me know from market if you want LED notifications. Be warned, power consumption will rise with this.
- Rare robot voice bug
- PPP data should now work correctly for EVERYONE [UPDATE, turns out it's not...]. Thanks to MAsterokki and DutchDanny for pointing out the issue! Take a look here and see if there is a solution to your data problem: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=892079

Thanks to everyone at #htc-linux, #htc-linux-chat and at xda-developers for your help, guidance and support!
Thanks to my beta testers! Thanks to Hastarin for pointing out the toolchain issue which cases high power usage in sleep!

The first boot will take under a minute, subsequent boots will take much less time.

I am running HTC HD2 Stock rom 3.14.405.2.
My radio is 2.15.50.14, I have NO robot noise issue with the combination.

Download: http://www.multiupload.com/UA7FCEFW5T

Last edited:

DarkStone1337

Nov 19, 2006
Screenshots

CAP201012300127.jpg
CAP201012300131.jpg
superram_senseCAP201012300132.jpg
CAP2010123001311.jpg
CAP2010123001312.jpg
CAP201012300138.jpg

Last edited:

MCSCHMIDD

Oct 9, 2008
Screenhots would be sweet :) I love the continuing development, but I'm gonna stick to the non-Sense build of DS.

Still, thx for the effort.

Yanardag

Jan 23, 2005
Cool thx good News. I hope the roms for sd card works on cottullas bootloader.

Last edited:

$t0Rm

May 31, 2010
Chicago
I Hope darkstone has quick internet so this get uploaded quickly cause i can't wait, This is going to be best android build thanks a million for your amazing work and for returning. since i been using your builds from the start. :D

Edit opps sorry for the "thank you" post just really excited.

Reactions: Malous and ricky103

teddyforms

May 23, 2010
Arizona USA
I think we said that Sense would never be possible? May I ask why it is possible now? Is this a stripped version of sense? What changed?

dratengon

May 5, 2010
Ok...Except from Sense.... everything should be similair to SuperRAM_Froyo_1.5....right?
Sorry folk... tried so many diff rom.... a bit confuse... maybe too much turkey, ham....

Last edited:

curiousGeorge

Feb 17, 2008
Saint Paul, MN
DarkStone1337 said:
which in turn will make the build superfast too! Very fast. Very very fast!
DarkStone1337 said:
I'm not promising amazing speed with this build.

Haha, I love a guy with a sense of humor. ;) You never cease to entertain (and of course your builds never cease to amaze).

It's interesting you opted to stick with hastarin's EB. That specific (old) driver invariably shuts down my phone at about 9% battery remaining (despite numerous attempts to calibrate and erase entrained charge data), so I was wondering if this build, like many others, can withstand a simple zimage swap with the non-EB kernel. Since this particular thread and build are both so new, I thought it a prime time to ask before ruining something and coming back to complain or whatnot. :cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    leepriestenator said:
    MODERATOR WARNING!

All of us here are ecstatic that DS is back. This new Build marks the next level in Android Development for WinMo phones. It's a very exciting time but there are a few things we all need to keep in mind.

1) No THANK YOU Posts. Anyone found doing so on high volume threads will be given as infraction. We have implemented a new THANKS button here at XDA. Use that to convey your gratitude.

2) The first few pages of this thread have already informed us of this build being incredibly fast. Everyone knows it now which means NO more "This is so FAST!" posts.

3) There are several issues with this build, which have come to light over the last 30 pages. Check to see if your problem has been listed (Chances are that 999 out of 1000 are already listed). If it is, then you are not allowed to post asking for a solution to the same problem.

4) STRICTLY NO REQUESTS!
    Any discussions in this thread have to be limited to the build provided here. No discussions and arguments about the pros and cons of Sense Builds.

5) NO asking for ETA of the next build.

Any deviation from the above will result in an Infraction.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

SuperRAM Sense by darkstone1337
    Version 0.1
    Release: 30-December-2010
    Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=10180198[/SIZE][/U][/B]

If you don't know anything, SEARCH GOOGLE FIRST.

What is SuperRAM Sense?
    - It is a Sense rom with some modifications added, but kept as close to stock as possible. The only thing that is modified is the keyboard, camera and some icons.

What is special about this build?
    - What is special about this build is parts of the Android O/S filesystem are stored in RAM before it is booted.

What does this mean?
    - Well, RAM is faster than NAND(ROM) and SD Card which in turn will make the build superfast too! Very fast. Very very fast!

I don't understand what NAND(ROM) or RAM is!
    - NAND is a slower memory type (ROM) which is designed to hold data even after the phone is turned off. This is where your Windows Mobile operating system is stored.
    - RAM is a much faster memory type which is designed to hold information on a temporary basis. After your phone is turned off, the data in RAM is lost.
    - Running Android on your HD2 does not touch your ROM in any way! So when you turn off the phone and turn it back on, Windows Mobile will be loaded. No changes are made to ROM.

Does this mean I'm going to lose the stuff that I put in Android when my phone goes off or crashes?!
    - NO. Only the operating system files for this build will be stored in RAM. User data and downloads will be saved to your SD card in a special file called data.img
    - Remember if your phone crashes in Android, nothing will affect your Windows Mobile operating system since this build runs off RAM.

What other advantages does this build have?
    - Unlike normal builds which are ran from the SD card, this build will not stress your SD card nearly as much. This will allow faster transfer speeds and less chance of data corruption.
    - Battery usage will be less than SD card based builds as the operating systems files will be accessed from RAM instead of the SD card.
    - Quick android boot!

Something isn't working properly!
    - First of all check the build thread by SEARCHING FIRST to see if there is a solution to your problem or if it is already listed as a known issue. If there is no solution and the problem has not been posted by someone else, ONLY THEN should you post here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=10180198
    - Please include details about the issue, such as how to replicate the problem.

Installation and Setup:

Make sure that you do not have another Android folder on your SD card. If you do, then either rename the folder or back it up to another location and delete the folder.

Copy the folders named Android and media to the ROOT of your SD card. If you don't know what the root of the SD card is, look here: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080521052942AAMW3kA

On your HTC HD2, use file explorer to browse to the Android folder on your SD card. Run the program CLRCAD.EXE (nothing is supposed to show up when you run this program.). Then run haret.exe.

You will now see a green HTC logo on a black background for a couple of seconds, then you will see nothing but a blank screen for a couple of seconds.

After this, you will see the HTC Sense unlock screen.

Notes:

- My own personal thought. I don't know if Sense was worth putting into RAM, I guess I like challanges so I gave it a go. I'm not promising amazing speed with this build.

- Upon booting, your HTC Sense launcher will contain no widgets or icons. It is up to yourself to add widget and icons.

- I have included a 1GB data.img, however you can use any size that you wish if you have your own data.img.
    - I highly recommend starting with a new data.img regardless of whether you have used this build previously. There are some changes that may conflict with your current image.

- If you wish to make changes to the build, use the file structure in Android/root/ on your SD card to put your modified files in. They will be copied upon boot. Do not worry if they are not deleted, this is normal.

- Robot voice issue may occur when in a call. If this happens, during the call ENABLE THE LOUDSPEAKER, then DISABLE THE LOUDSPEAKER then END THE CALL. Do this exactly and every call after will no longer have this issue.

- You are left with around 250MB+ free RAM after booting the build. This is enough memory for anything!

- Build.prop is easy to modify, I have included a copy in /Android/root/system on the SD card. Modify this as you with and your changes will be copied over upon the boot of Android. If you mess something up, just delete the file and the changes won't be applied upon next boot. This goes for any file you put in the Android/root/ folder.

- I'm not going to be like other chefs and say "THE BATTERY LIFE IS EXCELLENT I PROMISE" etc. Everyone's setup is different, just test the build for yourself!

- Forget quadrant scores! If you're judging this build by quadrant scores then I pity you. This type of build is different from other builds, yes the quadrant scores may not be in the 2000+ range, but honestly, can you actually say to me that this build is slower than other builds that have a higher score? I sure hope not.

- The base rom is from Lambros Custom Rom r4 Desire rom which has been modified by myself: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=745447
    - The initrd and CSSync updates is based on that from cedesmith. However, I've modified the initrd for my own build.
    - The PPP wrapper update is from LeTama's thread, version 0.7
    - The HaRet loader is custom made by NetRipper, thanks to him for helping me increase the initial ramdisk size limitation!
    - The HTC EVO keyboard is from motoman234 : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=810338
    - The modified HTC EVO Camera is from iamgpc : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=829534
    - Thanks to LeTama for providing a way to create my own htcleo.acdb file!

For developers only:
    - The kernel included is hastarin's r8.6 eb kernel, taken from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=787588
    - Kernel source: http://www.gitorious.com/~hastarin/linux-on-wince-htc/hastarins-linux_on_wince_htc

Bugs Fixed in version 0.1:
    - No more data corruption. I have enabled sync in initrd.
    - Robot voice is very rare now during calls. It should only happen once when you boot for the first time.
    - No more high battery drain during sleep! Refer to my post here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=10179562&postcount=2293

Bugs Remaining:
    - Notification LED's only blink once, use LED me know from market if you want LED notifications. Be warned, power consumption will rise with this.
    - Rare robot voice bug
    - PPP data should now work correctly for EVERYONE [UPDATE, turns out it's not...]. Thanks to MAsterokki and DutchDanny for pointing out the issue! Take a look here and see if there is a solution to your data problem: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=892079

Thanks to everyone at #htc-linux, #htc-linux-chat and at xda-developers for your help, guidance and support!
    Thanks to my beta testers! Thanks to Hastarin for pointing out the toolchain issue which cases high power usage in sleep!

The first boot will take under a minute, subsequent boots will take much less time.

I am running HTC HD2 Stock rom 3.14.405.2.
    My radio is 2.15.50.14, I have NO robot noise issue with the combination.

Download: http://www.multiupload.com/UA7FCEFW5T
    I'm uploading my full magldr sd setup for people having trouble doing it, it should be available soon.

Here it is (MagLdr only!):

http://www.multiupload.com/VOI2W8TY9Y

LeTama
    Hey guys!

Ok, I don't know what the deal with the SD card is, I'll take a look into it. For now, use the Panasonic format tool which has been suggested in this thread.

I'm going to change to a newer rom base, I don't really like this base that I've used. Lot's of problems it seems...
    Hey guys,

small update for people with MAGLDR.... LeTama just replied back and told me that he is working on this to get it working :D

So, dont give up hope yet :D

Hello guys!

Here is the modified initrd.gz to boot it from magldr, it works fine on my hd2.

To use it, copy it to the android directory with an appropriate kernel. Current kernel doesn't have rmnet compiled in, you need one with rmnet compiled statically if you want data.

I also had the sdcard issue, I fixed it with the attached vold.fstab, current one does only works if sdcard is partitioned. To use it, you can push it to the device with adb like this:

adb.exe push vold.fstab /systemboot/etc/vold.fstab

I presume it also helps for haret build.

I'm uploading my full magldr sd setup for people having trouble doing it, it should be available soon.

LeTama