DISCONTINUED - [ROM][02-june-11][patch update] A7Comb (Honeycomb 3.0) v0.2a

Search This thread

Dexter_nlb

Feb 12, 2009
Copenhagen
The adaption of the newly released VegaComb / honeycomb 3.0 for our tegra2 brothers (advent vega and Adam) and is getting to a state where its usable and the latest alpha4 release for Vega is working quite well on Folio100 as well. with a few modifications of course...

I cannot take full credits for the intensive work done on this honeycomb 3.0 , that is primarily done by NotionInk Adam and Advent Vega developers , which are: MrGuy , newbe5 , corvus , HomerSp I added some kernel changes and image adjustments to support A7.

Download A7Comb 0.2a patch update here
installs like any other "Update.zip", rename the downloaded file to Update.zip

Download A7Comb 0.2 full image update here
installs like any other "Update.zip" (extract the Update.zip from this downloaded zip file) and make sure you "wipe" / factory reset.

Alternate kernel, with original softkeys enabled can be downloaded here
this is also used when you change density setting to 130, so you get the "gingerbread" launcher running instead.
Rename this download to Update.zip and copy directly to sdcard. no unpacking for this is required.

So what is status on a7 port.
- Wifi works, you need to reboot the first you enable it, and it will scan correctly.
- touchscreen seems 100% ok. (did not test multitouch apps)
- Adobe Flashplayer blank (just keep pressing upper left corner like normal to get fullscreen and it works)
- too many apps in the apps list makes them go outside screen.. one solution might be to change density. see build.prop and maybe try 110 instead of the current 120.

You can write whatever status or reported finding, but please check, its not already in the advent/vega issue list, as it share alot with their image.

I will do what is possible to bring it to a better state, but i cannot promise anything and maybe patches from vega/adam might actually work on A7 depending on what they change. (if its a patch)

v0.2a
- Increased 2d/3d performance
- polaris office fixes
- brightness control fix

v0.2 updates
- using newest updates from VegaComb (Gmail and other googleapps now shows correctly)
- Market can now be used for login with an Googleaccount.

Last edited:

rombold

Feb 22, 2011
I did get bigrushdog to take a look into making us a kernel he is the one who has been working on them for the xoom.

amwilliams9

Aug 28, 2010
Little Elm
Been playing with it for a few hours. touch on the screen is hit or miss at best. Market is a non-starter. Titanium Backup is crashing every other app install. Unable to load Amazon App Store anymore (just stuck in a non-ending registering cycle) But on a good note looks great in landscape, Portrait not so much. Wifi started right up after restart and found my network just fine. Will play a little bit more.

tumpy

Dec 17, 2010
DFW
Had to revert back to 1.42, no soft key work. Will wait for new update..

Sent from my A7-040 using Tapatalk

Dexter_nlb

Feb 12, 2009
Copenhagen
Had to revert back to 1.42, no soft key work. Will wait for new update..

softkeys disabled.. Honeycomb do not use them anymore :)

Look at the bottom left, thats your control buttons.. thats pretty much what as example "motorola xoom with honeycomb 3.0" looks like now.. so its no error , i disabled those on purpose..

problem is that you got half the screen size of a "certified" tablet, so not much room for pressing buttons and resolutions very low.. so you're missing alot due to the lack of space.. and thats pretty much why A7 is never getting a proper honeycomb when minimum requirements are 1280x800

rombold

Feb 22, 2011
Soft keys were removed If I had read correctly due to the fact HC has them and dex seen no reason to have two of them. I like the idea of not having them means you don't have to worry about hitting them on accident

Dexter_nlb

Feb 12, 2009
Copenhagen
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/179...otloader-froyogingerhc-works-for-notion-roms/

adams kernel was this the basis a source you used to make changes to ours?

no, i used StreamTVNetwork's released source from their website..
you cannot use other devices unless you once again try to adapt the drivers to the kernel, which is a big one, since no one did, you can imagine how much work it takes..

you modifiy the existing kernel you got for your device, which the git changes where possible into your existing code, and update where it requiress it.

So we could maybe get the 1.5Ghz update, but im not sure if i can extract and diff it so we can implement into the a7 kernel.

rombold

Feb 22, 2011
I wasn't meaning did you use that kernel. I guess I could have been a bit clearer. What I meant was seeing how that kernel is adapted to be used with HC could that be off benefit to a dev for our a7. Using it as a guide to some degree

amwilliams9

Aug 28, 2010
Little Elm
This may be a silly question but...with a dedicated gpu could not the ROM resolution actually be resized to fit the A7? I mean this is not a case of trying to increase resolution (at its native resolution you can't get more than it can reproduce) but down converting it. In other words (This may be a bad example) a standard 720p television that can receive a 1080p signal but down-converts it to 720p.

Dexter_nlb

Feb 12, 2009
Copenhagen
This may be a silly question but...with a dedicated gpu could not the ROM resolution actually be resized to fit the A7? I mean this is not a case of trying to increase resolution (at its native resolution .
with the next update, im uploading in some hours you can use Market, then download the "Density" app, which can change density (not resoluion) but everything becomes smaller and its harder to hit the soft buttons in lower left side, so you know (as i tried it)

ming_a

Jul 27, 2009
Hi Dexter: Thanks for your work. I m new w A7 and try yet this update but bluetooth not turn on...
wait for you new release. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Dexter_nlb

Feb 12, 2009
Copenhagen
v0.2 is online

V0.2 is online. Got Googleapps login fixed, so you can use Market and Gmail (Using apps from latest VegaComb)

Hi Dexter: Thanks for your work. I m new w A7 and try yet this update but bluetooth not turn on...
wait for you new release. thanks again.
i can almost say 100% Bluetooth will never work on this rom!

so don't wait for it, then you can start looking for a new tablet with 3.0 :)

tumpy

Dec 17, 2010
DFW
Notice the 02 image is much smaller than previous image, about to test this one..I think GB will be out best bet for the A7, I am satisfied with froyo, if HG is out of our reach how about Gingerbread..is it possible Dexter?..

Dexter_nlb

Feb 12, 2009
Copenhagen
Notice the 02 image is much smaller than previous image, about to test this one..I think GB will be out best bet for the A7, I am satisfied with froyo, if HG is out of our reach how about Gingerbread..is it possible Dexter?..

no, basically a7 is stuck on in 2.2. a 2.3 release still require a formal 2.6.36. kernel which vendors do not adapt drivers for, so if any 2.3 arrive, it will be like this one, using a 2.6.32.9 kernel. maybe with a few patches upto 2.6.32.34 or so, but still using the old drivers vendors delivered..

the guys found out several "libs" of 40MB+ were not needed at all, so i removed them as well..

I<3Android

Jan 25, 2011
Milton,Fl
Weird, Upon first install i recived " Installation aborted" Due to some E:Can't find entry for META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary. Any ideas? Trying install again from fresh download.

Update: No go 2nd time around..... ?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The adaption of the newly released VegaComb / honeycomb 3.0 for our tegra2 brothers (advent vega and Adam) and is getting to a state where its usable and the latest alpha4 release for Vega is working quite well on Folio100 as well. with a few modifications of course...

I cannot take full credits for the intensive work done on this honeycomb 3.0 , that is primarily done by NotionInk Adam and Advent Vega developers , which are: MrGuy , newbe5 , corvus , HomerSp I added some kernel changes and image adjustments to support A7.

Download A7Comb 0.2a patch update here
    installs like any other "Update.zip", rename the downloaded file to Update.zip

Download A7Comb 0.2 full image update here
    installs like any other "Update.zip" (extract the Update.zip from this downloaded zip file) and make sure you "wipe" / factory reset.

Alternate kernel, with original softkeys enabled can be downloaded here
    this is also used when you change density setting to 130, so you get the "gingerbread" launcher running instead.
    Rename this download to Update.zip and copy directly to sdcard. no unpacking for this is required.

So what is status on a7 port.
    - Wifi works, you need to reboot the first you enable it, and it will scan correctly.
    - touchscreen seems 100% ok. (did not test multitouch apps)
    - Adobe Flashplayer blank (just keep pressing upper left corner like normal to get fullscreen and it works)
    - too many apps in the apps list makes them go outside screen.. one solution might be to change density. see build.prop and maybe try 110 instead of the current 120.

You can write whatever status or reported finding, but please check, its not already in the advent/vega issue list, as it share alot with their image.

I will do what is possible to bring it to a better state, but i cannot promise anything and maybe patches from vega/adam might actually work on A7 depending on what they change. (if its a patch)

v0.2a
    - Increased 2d/3d performance
    - polaris office fixes
    - brightness control fix

v0.2 updates
    - using newest updates from VegaComb (Gmail and other googleapps now shows correctly)
    - Market can now be used for login with an Googleaccount.
    Dexter is continuing his work over at tabletroms.com

Here is the A7 Link: www.tabletroms.com/forums/elocity-a7-general-discussion/

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App
    A7 3.0

Hi Dexter,

After spending some quality time with the A7 3.0, its not a bad match to the actual Xoom experience. Granted screen size and type significantly hinder its capabilities, but the actual OS itself wasn't bad at all. Quite honestly, I liked playing a few of the games I have on the 7" vice the 10". I must say, LCD Density is a requirement, and I had mine set at 100 I think.

I did run into a variety of bugs (wifi disconnects, touch response, need volume controls, etc), but many of these items can be fixed in time. The biggest issue I see is the screen size itself, as the Apps menu was overly sensitive, and even with LCD Density some Apps wouldn't show up. Another oddity I ran into was that larger size games (20-40mb) would act as if they installed, but then when clicking on the shortcuts to open they said they were not installed. I tried a few times to confirm.

the bottom line, I think it's a solid port of Honeycomb, but some some things will need to be addressed to make this a fully functional Rom. However, I will be leaving this on my A7 for awhile to see if I can find some tweaks, to make this more useable.

Thanks again, for all your hard work, and I look forward to future projects.
    Let me know if you need an A7 guinea pig, as I'm not afraid to test on mine since it's not my primary tablet anymore.

Oh yeah, I noted some folks were complaining about the screen freezes, and I noticed that if you click the power button as if to go into sleep mode the screen comes back to life, not sure why, or how, it just worked.
    0.2a patch is ready

Added a patch to fix some issues found..

- better 2d/3d performance.
    - polaris office crash fix
    - brightness control is working again.
    reserved for me