[DISCONTINUED][ROM][13.0]Evolution X - Xiaomi Mi 8 [dipper]

Search This thread

penguin_grapefruit

Nov 25, 2022
Following on from the font-related bug I posted yesterday, when I select a new font (in 'Settings -> The Evolver -> Themes -> Headline / Body font'), it is not being applied to menu headings, just the descriptions.
Is this expected or a bug or am I doing something wrong?
(Just using 'Cool Jazz' in my screenshot as it's pretty distinctive.)

ROM: evolution_dipper-ota-td1a.221105.001-11181320-unsigned.zip

Screenshot:

Screenshot_20221126-205626_Settings.png

I've seen some screenshots online (of older versions of Evolution X on other devices) where the selected font is being applied to menu headings so I'm just wondering what the expected behavior of Evolution X 7.3 on the Mi 8 is.

Thanks for any clarification you can give on this.

UnNamedChronos

May 1, 2018
Xiaomi Mi 8
Following on from the font-related bug I posted yesterday, when I select a new font (in 'Settings -> The Evolver -> Themes -> Headline / Body font'), it is not being applied to menu headings, just the descriptions.
Is this expected or a bug or am I doing something wrong?
(Just using 'Cool Jazz' in my screenshot as it's pretty distinctive.)

ROM: evolution_dipper-ota-td1a.221105.001-11181320-unsigned.zip

Screenshot:

View attachment 5770649

I've seen some screenshots online (of older versions of Evolution X on other devices) where the selected font is being applied to menu headings so I'm just wondering what the expected behavior of Evolution X 7.3 on the Mi 8 is.

Thanks for any clarification you can give on this.
You know I only take care of device stuff, make it work ON THE DEVICE. Now if you have problems with fonts and other things in the ROM, you should open a related issue for the ROM source. Good luck.

penguin_grapefruit

Nov 25, 2022
Sorry. I understand your role as a device maintainer but I was just following the 'Reporting a bug' instructions from the Evolution X Wiki.

Where can I report a bug?​

You can submit a bug report on your device's XDA thread. Please follow the required format and do not report a bug that has already been submitted.
There are no alternate instructions for bug reporting. I guess the WIki needs to be updated.
No worries. I'll try elsewhere. Thanks!

NEC0067

Jun 12, 2006
Excellent job!
thank you so much for the effort!
one thing only dont work here... face unlock cant recognize.
the front camera its in black and white and blurry although its just fine when you use it for a selfie for example

Attachments

• PSX_20221128_133336.png
    PSX_20221128_133336.png
    522.6 KB · Views: 28

MrSzwiderek

Jun 8, 2015
Excellent job!
the front camera its in black and white and blurry although its just fine when you use it for a selfie for example
It's because it uses IR camera (which can see in the dark for a cost of being a little blurry and black & white) for face recognization and "normal" one for selfies. Yes, our Mi8 has two front cameras in case you did not know.

Reactions: NEC0067

maormark

Jun 13, 2007
Excellent job!
I also have the same phenomenon, but I assume almost 100% that it is the screen protector. The hole of the IR camera is very small and covers the left side of the camera, so the brightness in the image is uneven.

A good opportunity if someone can recommend a glass screen protector with a free area in the notch

ShAnGoS

Jul 11, 2021
I have definitely left it impossible, not even flashing the firmware have I managed to get the data to work correctly, getting stuck on several occasions while on the street. I have tried to install pixelexperience and for now I do not have this error in the data. How weird isn't it?

NEC0067

Jun 12, 2006
g.m. guys! can you connect android auto to your car? I can't connect it to mine. Any setting maybe?

NEC0067

Jun 12, 2006
Excellent job!
I found what's the problem. it's not the screen protector, it's not whether it's dark or blurry, or whatever. it's the glasses. If you're wear presbyopic glasses, there's no way to recognize it. But I always wear when I'm using phones... in my age 🫣🙄

spacefrog.uk

Sep 2, 2022
Great ROM. Does anyone have incoming caller ID working while using volte or WiFi calling? I had the same issue with Lineage 19. I flashed miui 10 global via orangefox and wiped before installing the latest evolution X nightly. Got magisk working too so almost perfect for my needs

Irish_Dude

Dec 18, 2013
Amazing ROM, have been using it over 2 weeks and its flawless, A++

Is there any way to remove the google apps such as android auto, the google app, google photos etc without breaking the ROM?

spacefrog.uk

Sep 2, 2022
Great ROM. Does anyone have incoming caller ID working while using volte or WiFi calling? I had the same issue with Lineage 19. I flashed miui 10 global via orangefox and wiped before installing the latest evolution X nightly. Got magisk working too so almost perfect for my needs
I tried pixel experience and the same thing no caller ID on incoming calls while using volte or wifi calling. 3G caller ID works OK which is confusing. Would flashing the chinese Xiaomi ROM rather than the global one before hand make any difference?

jopl

Sep 30, 2010
Dear EvolutionX gurus,
just one surprising event ... when I entered google login data and verification process started, I could see "Huawei Nexus 6P" instead of "Xiaomi Mi8" (what I rather would expected) in my gmail account. Is there any explanation for this, please? But except this, everything is going like a charm ... Thanks. Josef.

kermittos

Sep 17, 2013
OnePlus 8
Hi guys. I tried to flash the rom yesterday, coming from global MIUI 12.0.3.0 Global.
First i flashed lastest OrangeFox img and zip and than A10 12.0.3 Global firmware, wiped Data/Cache/System
and flashed EvolutionX ROM. It all seemed to flash correctly afaik without errors but when i tried to reboot to system my mi8 was stuck on fastboot screen. I can boot to OrangeFox and when i go to "Backups" tab it says Storage mounted as read only.
Please help. What should i do?

When i connect mi8 to pc that's how internal storage looks:
internalstorage.jpg

edit. I formated data and i can access and copy files to internal storage now but still stuck in fastboot. Should I try to flash rom again?

Last edited:

penguin_grapefruit

Nov 25, 2022
Hi guys. I tried to flash the rom yesterday, coming from global MIUI 12.0.3.0 Global.
First i flashed lastest OrangeFox img and zip and than A10 12.0.3 Global firmware, wiped Data/Cache/System
and flashed EvolutionX ROM. It all seemed to flash correctly afaik without errors but when i tried to reboot to system my mi8 was stuck on fastboot screen. I can boot to OrangeFox and when i go to "Backups" tab it says Storage mounted as read only.
Please help. What should i do?
I got stuck in a Fastboot bootloop with OrangeFox, too.
I switched to "TWRP 3.7.0-12.1 V2 Unofficial by LuMorningStarr" (link in this post) and had no problems with this recovery.

Reactions: kermittos

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No. there's no way I'm going to make any more pitches for dipper. after heavy criticism of the way official updates are handled and how I handle updates for this device, I have decided to completely abandon any project for this device in specific. there will be no more updates from me and neither about recoveries nor unofficial builds.
    Just sad... Hope you stay on XDA instead of Telegram. Too toxic community.

Evolution X 7.4 for the Xiaomi Mi 8 [dipper]
    Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is void. Or valId, probably?
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, Ebolation X,
    * thermonuclear war, or the current economic crisis caused by you following
    * these directions. YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point your finger at me for messing up your device, I will LMAO at you.
    */

0KUV8YX.png

Keep Evolving
    Pixel UI, customization, and more, we are Evolution X!

- Team Evolution X -
    @joeyhuab
    @RealAkito
    @
    AnierinB

Reach us on Twitter! @EvolutionXROM

SRQCjQJ.png

Just flash and check "The Evolver". We have tons of features combined together from different ROMs.

CIrL2gb.png

* You tell me

DO NOT FLASH GAPPS, ALREADY INCLUDED

o2G52Ve.png

First Time Install / Clean Flash
    1. Reboot to Recovery (recommended Orange Fox recovery)
    2. Download the zip for your device
    3. Flash whichever recovery you desire and Flash
    A10 firmware
    4. Wipe Data/Cache/System
    5. Flash the ROM
    6. Format data / format factory
    7. Reboot to System and #KeepEvolving

Update / Dirty Flash
    1. Reboot to Recovery
    2. Download the update for your device
    3. Flash the ROM
    4. Reboot to System and #KeepEvolving

DO NOT FLASH MAGISK IF YOU USE BEFORE FIRST BOOT

Download
    Donate to me! / Official Chat / Device Support

XDA: DevDB Information
    Evolution X, ROM for Xiaomi Mi 8

Contributors
    joeyhuab
    Source Code: https://github.com/Evolution-X

ROM OS Version: Android 13
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.9.336
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 7.4
    Stable Release Date: 2022-10-17

Created 2022-10-17
    Last Updated 2022-12-26
    Hello everyone,

Dropping by here to clean this thread and remind everyone to read and follow the XDA Forum Rules. Posts violating the rules have been removed. Rules that have been violated are:

2.1 Language: XDA is a worldwide community. As a result, what may be OK to say in your part of the world, may not be OK elsewhere. Please don't direct profanity, sexually explicit language or other offensive content toward Members or their work. Conversely, while reading posts from other members, remember that the word you find offensive may not be offensive to the writer. Tolerance is a two-way street.

2.3 Flaming / Lack of respect: XDA is about sharing and this does not involve virtual yelling (flaming) or rudeness. Flaming or posting with a lack of respect is unacceptable. Treat new members in the manner in which you would like to have been treated when you were a new member. When dealing with any member, provide them with guidance, advice and instructions when you can, showing them respect and courtesy. Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.

2.4 Personal attacks, racial, political and / or religious discussions: XDA is a discussion forum about certain mobile phones. Mobile phones are not racial, political, religious or personally offensive and therefore, none of these types of discussions are permitted on XDA.

Please keep in mind that further violations will lead to infractions that will result in loss of access to the site for a particular period and may lead to a permanent ban. Read and follow the XDA Forum Rules.

Regards,
    theimpulson
    Rom is perfect, thank you for adding face unlock ! Huge thanks for your hard work !!!
    I have gladly donated more to those efforts than I have ever given to proprietary stuff.
    This is not maintaining, this is pudhing the device to the limits.
    845sdm is a BEAST. if you take out the small battery which can be swapped for like 10-20 euro, and the non 90-120Hz panel, this Mi8 is a beast for everyday tasks.