• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[DISCONTINUED][ROM] [4.4.4] [STABLE] HDX Nexus v4.0.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
My device is HDX 7" Thor. So far it worked fine, but today Play Shop cannot start due to it updated by automatically. Any solution?
Support for this ROM is discontinued. The direct replacement can be found here. Wipe the system/dalvik/cache partitions before flashing. The data partition containing your apps/data can be retained. The Play Store should work fine after the ROM is updated. Might take a few reboots for everything to stabilize.

Goonswoon

Feb 14, 2017
Support for this ROM is discontinued. The direct replacement can be found here. Wipe the system/dalvik/cache partitions before flashing. The data partition containing your apps/data can be retained. The Play Store should work fine after the ROM is updated. Might take a few reboots for everything to stabilize.

Hi!
I currently have a Kindle HDX 7 3rd gen Thor with this particular rom already installed as a gift. It has Twrp 2.8.6.0 and the latest Supersu installed. I do not want this rom anymore so I tried to reflash it with the amazon latest update to get it back to stock, using twrp. The flash fails with E: error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/Update.zip stating that this package is for "thor" products; this is a cm_thor". Where can I find the correct package for my kindle? I am no longer interested in roms and would like to just use the kindle as stock like using amazon services. Can I be pointed in the right direction to achieve this?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi!
I currently have a Kindle HDX 7 3rd gen Thor with this particular rom already installed as a gift. It has Twrp 2.8.6.0 and the latest Supersu installed. I do not want this rom anymore so I tried to reflash it with the amazon latest update to get it back to stock, using twrp. The flash fails with E: error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/Update.zip stating that this package is for "thor" products; this is a cm_thor". Where can I find the correct package for my kindle? I am no longer interested in roms and would like to just use the kindle as stock like using amazon services. Can I be pointed in the right direction to achieve this?
You can't flash Amazon binaries as you discovered. Flash the latest version of FireOS from this thread. Your device won't be entirely stock (not possible) but close enough.

Goonswoon

Feb 14, 2017
You can't flash Amazon binaries as you discovered. Flash the latest version of FireOS from this thread. Your device won't be entirely stock (not possible) but close enough.

Ok..thanks! Just to make sure I know what I am doing, I use the same method as I did using the amazon binary but substitute for the thor file in that thread? I actually read through some of that thread and there are reports of it not working. Does that thread contain the latest stable? I'm just a little nervous going forward. I'd rather have an unwanted rom than a bricked kindle.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Ok..thanks! Just to make sure I know what I am doing, I use the same method as I did using the amazon binary but substitute for the thor file in that thread? I actually read through some of that thread and there are reports of it not working. Does that thread contain the latest stable? I'm just a little nervous going forward. I'd rather have an unwanted rom than a bricked kindle.
Give me a day. I want to browse that thread to see if any recent/unusual risks have been identified.

Goonswoon

Feb 14, 2017
Give me a day. I want to browse that thread to see if any recent/unusual risks have been identified.

Sure thing. I didn't know going back to stock was going to be this tricky. Although this was meant as a gift being rooted and all, I did not know it also meant giving up the amazon services. I suppose that is the price of gamble. I will await your reply. Please let me know what your findings are. Thank you.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Sure thing. I didn't know going back to stock was going to be this tricky. Although this was meant as a gift being rooted and all, I did not know it also meant giving up the amazon services. I suppose that is the price of gamble. I will await your reply. Please let me know what your findings are. Thank you.
Be aware you do not have to sacrifice most Amazon Services on a custom ROM. What functions/services do you use? Shopping, Kindle books, music, video?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Yes. Those services are what I would like to use. Is that possible with a custom rom?
Sorry to for the delay; on the road responding from my mobile (awkward). Yes, Amazon's Underground app provides 95% of the capability of similar apps bundled with FireOS. Among the few exceptions are Kindle book sharing and the lending library. The standard Kindle book reader/library, music, video, app store and general shopping are fully supported.

You will need to upgrade Fire Nexus to a supported version and install the Underground app. Both are relatively easy to do. You can sample the latter via the linked download (or search for it if not comfortable clicking a random link). Not sure everything will work on the build of Nexus currently on your device.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get/android/ref=mas_gs_slp_redir?ie=UTF8&campaign=angu

Goonswoon

Feb 14, 2017
Sorry to for the delay; on the road responding from my mobile (awkward). Yes, Amazon's Underground app provides 95% of the capability of similar apps bundled with FireOS. Among the few exceptions are Kindle book sharing and the lending library. The standard Kindle book reader/library, music, video, app store and general shopping are fully supported.

You will need to upgrade Fire Nexus to a supported version and install the Underground app. Both are relatively easy to do. You can sample the latter via the linked download (or search for it if not comfortable clicking a random link). Not sure everything will work on the build of Nexus currently on your device.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get/android/ref=mas_gs_slp_redir?ie=UTF8&campaign=angu

Ok. I will need to update this current rom to use the app? Also so I am clear, the modified stock rom option is a no go?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Ok. I will need to update this current rom to use the app? Also so I am clear, the modified stock rom option is a no go?
I don't see anything risky around attempting to flash a modified FireOS 4.5.5 image from here. There are some reports of it not working (refusing to install) but nothing suggesting bad outcomes. Be sure to grab the Thor build (for 7" model).

To upgrade Nexus flash the latest image from this thread. If you prefer to retain existing apps/data on the device do not perform a 'factory rest' as advised in the OP. Only wipe the 'system' partition (not 'data') then flash Nexus. Should boot up fine.

As a precaution you should unlock the bootloader BEFORE flashing a new ROM which will facilitate recovery efforts should something go wrong (unlikely, but better prepared than sorry). Since TWRP is installed/working the device already has a vulnerable bootloader. Simply follow steps #1 and #3 from this post (skip step #2). Bootloader unlocking poses no risk to your device. It will either work or not. Step #2 is the only risky element; that's already been done.

Post back once Nexus has been updated (if you choose that path). I can then help you through the Amazon Underground install. Feel free to ask questions as needed.

Goonswoon

Feb 14, 2017
I don't see anything risky around attempting to flash a modified FireOS 4.5.5 image from here. There are some reports of it not working (refusing to install) but nothing suggesting bad outcomes. Be sure to grab the Thor build (for 7" model).

Ok. I installed the modified thor stock rom. Everything went smoothly no problems....except the device will not register so none of the apps will work. I tried looking around to see what the issue could be and it seems that the serial number is all zeros? What happened to the serial number and how do I get it to show up?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Ok. I installed the modified thor stock rom. Everything went smoothly no problems....except the device will not register so none of the apps will work. I tried looking around to see what the issue could be and it seems that the serial number is all zeros? What happened to the serial number and how do I get it to show up?
Well that's not good. I've heard about devices that won't register with Amazon but never persued it further. At this juncture my recommendation is to forego FireOS and install the previously linked version of Fire Nexus.

Goonswoon

Feb 14, 2017
Well that's not good. I've heard about devices that won't register with Amazon but never persued it further. At this juncture my recommendation is to forego FireOS and install the previously linked version of Fire Nexus.

Oh wow..ok. I am sort of confused why the serial wouldn't show up on my kindle? It is a modified rom that has worked for many others. I have also searched the forum and have not found another case like it using this rom. It leads me to believe something may have went on error somewhere while flashing? I have no idea how to trouble shoot further and I also have run out of steam with this kindle. I am not new to flashing roms but, it seems the process to get this working is overkill. I am thinking I should just sell this kindle and buy a regular one. Thanks anyway for all of your help.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Oh wow..ok. I am sort of confused why the serial wouldn't show up on my kindle? It is a modified rom that has worked for many others. I have also searched the forum and have not found another case like it using this rom. It leads me to believe something may have went on error somewhere while flashing? I have no idea how to trouble shoot further and I also have run out of steam with this kindle. I am not new to flashing roms but, it seems the process to get this working is overkill. I am thinking I should just sell this kindle and buy a regular one. Thanks anyway for all of your help.
Understand your frustrations. Flashing Fire Nexus only takes a few minutes and will liberate the device from FireOS v4. Amazon Underground will grant access to Amazon's ecosystem. Don't think you will be disappointed.

Serial number is hard coded into the device. No idea why FireOS is not finding/exposing it.

Goonswoon

Feb 14, 2017
Understand your frustrations. Flashing Fire Nexus only takes a few minutes and will liberate the device from FireOS v4. Amazon Underground will grant access to Amazon's ecosystem. Don't think you will be disappointed.

Serial number is hard coded into the device. No idea why FireOS is not finding/exposing it.

EDIT: I just went ahead and flashed the kindle back to a back up of the nexus rom that was originally on the kindle so it is functional as an android tablet once again. I really wanted the modified rom to work but it cannot find the serial at all.
I downloaded the underground app just to take a look before I put this kindle out to pasture and it is ok. It does not give the Fire os interface that I was looking for. It is just an app to get into the store, videos or what ever. I appreciate you providing it for me, though.

I think it's best that I just go buy a regular one. I also have an amazon echo, fire stick and I plan on getting Amazon Prime shortly. I do not think an android infused kindle will compliment this set up. Did I mention that my phone is an android making this kindle kind of redundant in the long run.

On another note, I see how you are all around these threads helping out everyone who asks and while I think that is so awesome of you, why doesn't anyone else try to help others....like the developers of these roms? Do they just churn them out and leave you to help test and work out the bugs? I do not mean this in a bad way towards the developers but surely you need help with the loads of inquires?

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
EDIT: I just went ahead and flashed the kindle back to a back up of the nexus rom that was originally on the kindle so it is functional as an android tablet once again. I really wanted the modified rom to work but it cannot find the serial at all.
I downloaded the underground app just to take a look before I put this kindle out to pasture and it is ok. It does not give the Fire os interface that I was looking for. It is just an app to get into the store, videos or what ever. I appreciate you providing it for me, though.

I think it's best that I just go buy a regular one. I also have an amazon echo, fire stick and I plan on getting Amazon Prime shortly. I do not think an android infused kindle will compliment this set up. Did I mention that my phone is an android making this kindle kind of redundant in the long run.

On another note, I see how you are all around these threads helping out everyone who asks and while I think that is so awesome of you, why doesn't anyone else try to help others....like the developers of these roms? Do they just churn them out and leave you to help test and work out the bugs? I do not mean this in a bad way towards the developers but surely you need help with the loads of inquires?
I understand. FireOS is not evil has its place in an Amazon centric ecosystem. We use many Amazon products/services and have a couple Amazon branded devices that remain fully stock. Most run custom ROMs and interface well with Amazon services.

If you do opt for a new tablet suggest going with a 5th or 6th gen device that runs FireOS v5 or above. 3rd/4th gen devices are dated and likely will not support the latest Amazon offerings (eg: Alexia). 3rd gen HDX models are somewhat unique as they were positioned as affordable premium devices and remain competitive in that segment three years later. Amazing.

The volunteer HDX developers (one primary) have unselfishly gifted the HDX community with their time and talents without compensation other than the occasional thanks posted by XDA contributors. Life balance is hard.

Goonswoon

Feb 14, 2017
I understand. FireOS is not evil has its place in an Amazon centric ecosystem. We use many Amazon products/services and have a couple Amazon branded devices that remain fully stock. Most run custom ROMs and interface well with Amazon services.

If you do opt for a new tablet suggest going with a 5th or 6th gen device that runs FireOS v5 or above. 3rd/4th gen devices are dated and likely will not support the latest Amazon offerings (eg: Alexia). 3rd gen HDX models are somewhat unique as they were positioned as affordable premium devices and remain competitive in that segment three years later. Amazing.

The volunteer HDX developers (one primary) have unselfishly gifted the HDX community with their time and talents without compensation other than the occasional thanks posted by XDA contributors. Life balance is hard.

I know it is extremely hard for the developers here. I in no way meant my reply to be ungrateful or bashing against them at all. I was just looking at it from a side glance point of view recognizing all of your hard work also.

So.........1 last time just to make sure I did everything I was supposed to with flashing this rom. What are the actual steps I am required to take to flash the modified stock os for my Kindle HDX 7in Thor? Can you list them? I want to see if by chance I could have made a mistake that caused the serial to not be recognized. I have a backup of the nexus rom to use already stored in TWRP so I am not worried about losing any data or settings so I can at least leave it functional if the reflash still wont produce the serial. It was very easy for me to restore using this backup. Thanks so much for your help.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I know it is extremely hard for the developers here. I in no way meant my reply to be ungrateful or bashing against them at all. I was just looking at it from a side glance point of view recognizing all of your hard work also.

So.........1 last time just to make sure I did everything I was supposed to with flashing this rom. What are the actual steps I am required to take to flash the modified stock os for my Kindle HDX 7in Thor? Can you list them? I want to see if by chance I could have made a mistake that caused the serial to not be recognized. I have a backup of the nexus rom to use already stored in TWRP so I am not worried about losing any data or settings so I can at least leave it functional if the reflash still wont produce the serial. It was very easy for me to restore using this backup. Thanks so much for your help.
Since you are not concerned about existing data:
- from TWRP Advanced menu wipe System/Data/Dalvik/Cache partitions
- from TWRP Install menu flash modified FireOS 4.5.5 ROM

That's it. If FireOS can not 'see' the serial number the device may have been black listed by Amazon and/or altered at the hardware level before you acquired it.

Remote possibility the OTA block is creating an issue. You can remove it following the guidance in this and this post. If successful the device will try to download an OTA update but will not be able to apply it as it has dependencies on stock recovery which has been replaced by a custom recovery (TWRP).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction
    - This ROM is for all variants of the 3rd generation Kindle HDX tablets and provides Full AOSP KitKat Functionality :D.
    - This is compatible with devices that have either an unlocked bootloader with TWRP recovery installed or Safestrap 4.0.1

Goals
    - Stability
    - Performance
    - To provide a more customisable experience than Amazon FireOS

Bug Reports
    - TBA - will use Mantis going forward - Details to follow

Fresh Installation
    - Flash the ROM File
    - Flash the GAPPS File
    - Flash the latest SuperSU package if you want root
    - Factory Reset
    - Reboot
    - Enjoy!

Downloads
    *** Please do NOT create any mirrors ***
    - HDX Nexus ROM for Apollo
    - HDX Nexus ROM for Thor
    - HDX Nexus GAPPS for Both Models
    - Dolby Digital Addon

Source Code
    - Kernel Source: Kindle HDX stock kernel, build number 1314.4.5.2

Finally
    - Thank you to everyone for your ongoing support.

XDA:DevDB Information
    HDX Nexus ROM KitKat, ROM for the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7" & 8.9"

Contributors
    ggow
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: AOSP KTU84P

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 4.0.4
    Stable Release Date: 2015-06-20
    Beta Release Date: 2015-06-02

Created 2015-06-03
    Last Updated 2016-04-07
    Update - Nexus ROM

For version 4.0.2 I am aiming for:
    - Youtube, facebook and other video rendering to be fixed
    - Youtube working and video in general working correctly over Miracast connection
    - Try and reduce latency on Miracast
    - ro.build.characteristics=tablet
    - Safestrap compatibility (more details later)
    - Low audio volume on headphones fix

4.0.2 will mark the release of the first stable version.

For version 4.0.3, there will be only one goal:
    - Enable LTE

I will aim to get version 4.0.2 out by the end of this week.
    Progress Update

- Fire Nexus ROM will be the new name of HDX Nexus ROM
    - I will be porting to any and all Amazon Devices I can get my hands on
    - I have ported a new version based on Google's latest AOSP KitKat branch to the Fire Phone which I have released here
    - Also I have released a lollipop variant of the same ROM for the Amazon Fire Tablet 7" 2015
    - There will be a Marshmallow version coming for Thor and Apollo later
    - Started looking good now and much more maintainable going forward.
    - Next I will start merging changes required for the Thor and Apollo HDX devices
    Changelog

v4.0.5
    - Fix bug in RIL Radio Detection that prevented LTE from coming up on v4.0.4

v4.0.4
    - Fix RIL Radio Detection
    - Battery Stats (radio detection)
    - Hide 3G/LTE icon and settings automatically

v4.0.3
    - LTE Support

v4.0.2
    - Video Rendering Fixes
    - ro.build.characteristics=tablet
    - Busybox and nano editor integrated
    - Battery Stats Fixed
    - Error executing updater binary when Flashing - Fixed
    - Increased volume output on Headphones

v4.0.1
    - Initial Release
    Update

- Headphones working again properly
    - Tested new volume settings for headphones - nice and loud now.
    - I will build for thor and test then go for release today.