• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[DISCONTINUED][ROM] [4.4.4] [STABLE] HDX Nexus v4.0.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Goonswoon

Feb 14, 2017
Since you are not concerned about existing data:
- from TWRP Advanced menu wipe System/Data/Dalvik/Cache partitions
- from TWRP Install menu flash modified FireOS 4.5.5 ROM

That's it. If FireOS can not 'see' the serial number the device many have been black listed by Amazon and/or altered at the hardware level before you acquired it.

Remote possibility the OTA block is creating an issue. You can remove it following the guidance in this and this post. If successful the device will try to download an OTA update but will not be able to apply it as it has dependencies on stock recovery which has been replaced by a custom recovery (TWRP).

So a serial number of zeros indicate a blacklisted kindle? What part has been removed to alter the serial? Then kindle does not appear to have been opened before at all. It looks to be new besides the android os being installed.

I never did an advanced wipe with the initial Fire os flash. I just did the factory wipe is there a difference?

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
So a serial number of zeros indicate a blacklisted kindle? What part has been removed to alter the serial? Then kindle does not appear to have been opened before at all. It looks to be new besides the android os being installed.
Sorry - original post contained a typo (should have read 'may' vs. 'many'):
...if FireOS can not 'see' the serial number the device may have been black listed by Amazon and/or altered at the hardware level before you acquired it.

It was speculation not a statement of fact.

A 'factory reset' omits the system partition where the ROM resides. While unusual neglecting the wipe the system partition can result in instability and/or unusual behavior of the recently installed ROM. In most cases it simply fails to boot if not an incremental update to the existing ROM.

Goonswoon

Feb 14, 2017
Sorry - original post contained a typo (should have read 'may' vs. 'many'):
...if FireOS can not 'see' the serial number the device may have been black listed by Amazon and/or altered at the hardware level before you acquired it.

It was speculation not a statement of fact.

A 'factory reset' omits the system partition where the ROM resides. While unusual neglecting the wipe the system partition can result in instability and/or unusual behavior of the recently installed ROM. In most cases it simply fails to boot if not an incremental update to the existing ROM.

I have attempted the fire os flash again, unfortunately with the same result. I do notice that even though I executed the wipe step stated as per your instructions, when the Fire os loads I see the couple of pictures I downloaded while on the Nexus rom. It is like it is still using parts of the android rom. Is that standard for this type of flash?

EDIT: I also received the symlinks failed error in the initial install. The tip about changing the mount state of system allowed it to fully install but still no serial.

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I have attempted the fire os flash again, unfortunately with the same result. I do notice that even though I executed the wipe step stated as per your instructions, when the Fire os loads I see the couple of pictures I downloaded while on the Nexus rom. It is like it is still using parts of the android rom. Is that standard for this type of flash?

EDIT: I also received the symlinks failed error in the initial install. The tip about changing the mount state of system allowed it to fully install but still no serial.
TWRP wipes preserve the media folder where pictures/videos reside.

I don't have any great ideas around serial number issue. My recommendation is to flash a supported version of Nexus and call it a day. Restore the backed up Nexus build if you want to preserve any content other than pics. Otherwise a 'clean' install is the best option.

Sorry this didn't work out the way you hoped.

Goonswoon

Feb 14, 2017
TWRP wipes preserve the media folder where pictures/videos reside.

I don't have any great ideas around serial number issue. My recommendation is to flash a supported version of Nexus and call it a day. Restore the backed up Nexus build if you want to preserve any content other than pics. Otherwise a 'clean' install is the best option.

Sorry this didn't work out the way you hoped.

I have been poking around and I saw some threads where plain stock roms were offered. I will lurk those threads and see what others have done. I actually found a thread where someone had the same desire as I do with this rom on a HDX. You also commented with help for them ( although the instructions were a little different) and they were successful. I would post that thread but I am not sure how to. I also wonder if I would have made my own thread instead of under this old discontinued thread I would have maybe received help from other contributors that may have an idea of what is happening or if I am doing something wrong.

In any event,
I thank you for all of your assistance. I appreciate it. Cheers.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I have been poking around and I saw some threads where plain stock roms were offered. I will lurk those threads and see what others have done. I actually found a thread where someone had the same desire as I do with this rom on a HDX. You also commented with help for them ( although the instructions were a little different) and they were successful. I would post that thread but I am not sure how to. I also wonder if I would have made my own thread instead of under this old discontinued thread I would have maybe received help from other contributors that may have an idea of what is happening or if I am doing something wrong.

In any event,
I thank you for all of your assistance. I appreciate it. Cheers.
Sure. Hope you are able to find a solution. Keep in mind the device does not have a stock recovery which limits options for restoring stock FireOS. Good luck; feel free to post questions if you find something that looks promising.

(Don't neglect to consider Amazon Underground w/Nexus which should yield much of the functionality you seek; unfortunately, no Alexa)

aaronkatrini

Feb 20, 2012
rome, italy
Since i unlocked my bootloader 4-5 days ago I've been trying almost every Rom. Nougat based have some problems regarding the WiFi and the Camera seems a bit dark. These are huge deal-breakers for me, since I use the tablet for streaming and Skype. Same goes with the WiFi on the Marshmallow builds. And I tried this Rom, a bit old and now discontinued, but to me is the best. Very stable, while not as buttery smooth as Nougat, it works "fine". No problems with Wifi or Camera or whatsoever. The only major concern is the security issue, not being updated to latest security patches remains open to many vulnerabilities. Another "non-issue" is the fact that many new apps today require at least Lollipop to run, but older apks can be found on the internet.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Since i unlocked my bootloader 4-5 days ago I've been trying almost every Rom. Nougat based have some problems regarding the WiFi and the Camera seems a bit dark. These are huge deal-breakers for me, since I use the tablet for streaming and Skype. Same goes with the WiFi on the Marshmallow builds. And I tried this Rom, a bit old and now discontinued, but to me is the best. Very stable, while not as buttery smooth as Nougat, it works "fine". No problems with Wifi or Camera or whatsoever. The only major concern is the security issue, not being updated to latest security patches remains open to many vulnerabilities. Another "non-issue" is the fact that many new apps today require at least Lollipop to run, but older apks can be found on the internet.
I am familiar with this ROM having used it as my daily driver for nearly a year. I recommend you try the immediate successor (here) which still receives occational updates. Same KitKat base, same developer/maintainer. It remains the 'go-to' choice for those seeking a fully functional HDX ROM w/o the camera and radio issues you noted. Also works with an unlocked bootloader which is a benefit to some.

Reactions: aaronkatrini
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction
    - This ROM is for all variants of the 3rd generation Kindle HDX tablets and provides Full AOSP KitKat Functionality :D.
    - This is compatible with devices that have either an unlocked bootloader with TWRP recovery installed or Safestrap 4.0.1

Goals
    - Stability
    - Performance
    - To provide a more customisable experience than Amazon FireOS

Bug Reports
    - TBA - will use Mantis going forward - Details to follow

Fresh Installation
    - Flash the ROM File
    - Flash the GAPPS File
    - Flash the latest SuperSU package if you want root
    - Factory Reset
    - Reboot
    - Enjoy!

Downloads
    *** Please do NOT create any mirrors ***
    - HDX Nexus ROM for Apollo
    - HDX Nexus ROM for Thor
    - HDX Nexus GAPPS for Both Models
    - Dolby Digital Addon

Source Code
    - Kernel Source: Kindle HDX stock kernel, build number 1314.4.5.2

Finally
    - Thank you to everyone for your ongoing support.

XDA:DevDB Information
    HDX Nexus ROM KitKat, ROM for the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7" & 8.9"

Contributors
    ggow
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: AOSP KTU84P

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 4.0.4
    Stable Release Date: 2015-06-20
    Beta Release Date: 2015-06-02

Created 2015-06-03
    Last Updated 2016-04-07
    Update - Nexus ROM

For version 4.0.2 I am aiming for:
    - Youtube, facebook and other video rendering to be fixed
    - Youtube working and video in general working correctly over Miracast connection
    - Try and reduce latency on Miracast
    - ro.build.characteristics=tablet
    - Safestrap compatibility (more details later)
    - Low audio volume on headphones fix

4.0.2 will mark the release of the first stable version.

For version 4.0.3, there will be only one goal:
    - Enable LTE

I will aim to get version 4.0.2 out by the end of this week.
    Progress Update

- Fire Nexus ROM will be the new name of HDX Nexus ROM
    - I will be porting to any and all Amazon Devices I can get my hands on
    - I have ported a new version based on Google's latest AOSP KitKat branch to the Fire Phone which I have released here
    - Also I have released a lollipop variant of the same ROM for the Amazon Fire Tablet 7" 2015
    - There will be a Marshmallow version coming for Thor and Apollo later
    - Started looking good now and much more maintainable going forward.
    - Next I will start merging changes required for the Thor and Apollo HDX devices
    Changelog

v4.0.5
    - Fix bug in RIL Radio Detection that prevented LTE from coming up on v4.0.4

v4.0.4
    - Fix RIL Radio Detection
    - Battery Stats (radio detection)
    - Hide 3G/LTE icon and settings automatically

v4.0.3
    - LTE Support

v4.0.2
    - Video Rendering Fixes
    - ro.build.characteristics=tablet
    - Busybox and nano editor integrated
    - Battery Stats Fixed
    - Error executing updater binary when Flashing - Fixed
    - Increased volume output on Headphones

v4.0.1
    - Initial Release
    Update

- Headphones working again properly
    - Tested new volume settings for headphones - nice and loud now.
    - I will build for thor and test then go for release today.