[DISCONTINUED][ROM][STABLE] LineageOS 16.0 (unofficial) for ZTE Axon 7 Mini (aka tulip)

Search This thread

TheSSJ

Feb 25, 2010
OnePlus Nord
Unfortunately the hoster where my build server is located raised the fees and i had no way to download a backup of my data... As i can't afford it now i had to delete everything. With a heavy heart I have to discontinue this great ROM for a great phone..

- first of all, thanks to @tdm for his tremendous effort to have us all enjoy LineageOS in the first place, without his contribution this thread would never exist. Also thanks for tdm's Lineage 14.1 where I took this post's layout from :) -
logo-teal.png

Gentlemen,

The time has come to share what's due to be shared.

Supported devices
* US model running 7.1.1 b14 firmware
* EU model running 7.1.1 b12 firmware

Pre-requisites
  • Make sure to have at least this TWRP version installed
  • Patience as first start takes a while

First time install Instructions
Use these instructions when coming from any other ROM (stock, AOKP, LineageOS 15.1, etc.)
  • Download ROM.
  • Download GAPPS if desired.
  • Boot into recovery.
  • Backup your current data.
  • Format/Wipe 'Dalvik/ART Cache', 'System', 'Data' and 'Cache'
  • Flash ROM.
  • Flash GAPPS if desired.
  • Reboot.

Upgrade instructions
  • Use these instructions when upgrading from a previous Lineage 16.0 build.
  • Download ROM.
  • Boot into recovery.
  • Flash ROM.
  • Reboot.

Flashing instructions
There are two main ways to flash files onto your phone: local and sideload. Most people are only familiar with local, but sideload is much quicker and easier if you are at a PC.

Sideload
Download the ZIP file(s) to your PC. In TWRP, select advanced and then sideload. Swipe the slider to begin, then on your PC run "adb sideload <filename>".

Local
Download and/or copy the ZIP file(s) to your phone. Note whether they are on internal storage (the default) or the sdcard. In TWRP, select install, find your file, and select it.

Status
This is currently stable quality

Known issues
  • Very minor graphical glitches
  • sometimes videos don't play, you have to remove the relevant all from your recent app list and restart (e.g. WhatsApp)
  • AKM DAC is not supported
  • Selinux permissive

To Do list
  • Implement Camera2 API Thanks for customizing libraries and not sharing any code or insight ZTE
  • Get DSP to kick in for high quality audio again

Download
Google Drive

* works well with open gapps

Sources
Device tree
Kernel
Vendor

Note: please refrain from requesting other Android distributions from me, like AOKP, AOSP, etc - this is most likely not going to happen from my end. As I provided all my sources you can fork the stuff yourself and try to build :)

Special thanks
@R3bornD4rth for having provided me an axon 7 mini for my testing/debugging, which is heavily in use and doing great so far
@tdm for his original work on this
@armandop_ for his ZMAX Pro Repo and help getting LiveDisplay to work (flawlessly, thanks mate)
intervigilium aka Ethan Chen for his work on HTC One A9 (hiae) (which shares the same chipset as our phones)

Last edited:

Holyoblation

Jan 4, 2012
:cool:

Working well with open gapps 9 micro.
Play store works
Pixel launcher fc.

Camera works. The app doesn't. Download any other camera and you're good.

Looking great so far

Thanks

Last edited:

koktey14

Nov 5, 2017
Works great with opengapps pico too :) i am using this for a day and there is not a big issue i will share if any unexpected issue happens. Thx for your effort :)

EDIT: I think there is still a problem with camera. i tried it with 2 applications and one game.
I have problem with instagram videos i cant play them.
Cant open flashlight from quick settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSSJ and bius88

TheSSJ

Feb 25, 2010
OnePlus Nord
Works great with opengapps pico too :) i am using this for a day and there is not a big issue i will share if any unexpected issue happens. Thx for your effort :)

EDIT: I think there is still a problem with camera. i tried it with 2 applications and one game.
I have problem with instagram videos i cant play them.
Cant open flashlight from quick settings.

I see 2 issues here to be fixed. first with the video playing will be added to my known bugs post, the flashlight thing is related to the camera not working (pretty sure at least)

Reactions: koktey14 and bius88

TheSSJ

Feb 25, 2010
OnePlus Nord
Small update: unfortunately I can't find a reason why GPS is not working on LOS16, but worked in LOS15.1, even just taking the files from 15.1 and placing them in 16 didn't help. The error messages in the log are not disclosing enough information what exactly the issue could be, just getting loads of invalid handle errors. Comparing with other msm8952 chipsets I don't really see any differences, so I am clueless now :(

Reactions: bius88

koktey14

Nov 5, 2017
Small update: unfortunately I can't find a reason why GPS is not working on LOS16, but worked in LOS15.1, even just taking the files from 15.1 and placing them in 16 didn't help. The error messages in the log are not disclosing enough information what exactly the issue could be, just getting loads of invalid handle errors. Comparing with other msm8952 chipsets I don't really see any differences, so I am clueless now :(

Can there be a chain problem with sim card, graphics or camera maybe

TheSSJ

Feb 25, 2010
OnePlus Nord
Can there be a chain problem with sim card, graphics or camera maybe

Well, this really looks like it - I reverted back to the state where I took over from tdm and applied just the modifications to make nfc, wifi, bt, radio to work. Now GPS works, but wifi went back to sometimes fail to start where you have to reboot to make it actually work again.. it seems something I added along the lines fixed the issue with wifi and another one broke GPS

I am trying to fix wifi now somehow to make it behave stable again, then we can enjoy even a fixed GPS phone :)
Next stop is camera (after I repaired wifi)

TheSSJ

Feb 25, 2010
OnePlus Nord
Well, this really looks like it - I reverted back to the state where I took over from tdm and applied just the modifications to make nfc, wifi, bt, radio to work. Now GPS works, but wifi went back to sometimes fail to start where you have to reboot to make it actually work again.. it seems something I added along the lines fixed the issue with wifi and another one broke GPS

I am trying to fix wifi now somehow to make it behave stable again, then we can enjoy even a fixed GPS phone :)
Next stop is camera (after I repaired wifi)

Apparently I fixed wifi :) I rebooted 15 times to be sure and it always turned on, GPS still functioning as well!

I will update the OP and proceed with cam (which is so broken that not even 3rd party apps work at the moment)

EDIT: Notification lights fixed as well

Last edited:

k500zm

Aug 5, 2013
London
@TheSSJ -Great Work man!

Will try it out as soon as I get a chance :)

edit - is the TWRP version the same as Oreo or a newer one ?

edit 2 - Are you building an Aokp version ?

Last edited:

koktey14

Nov 5, 2017
k500zm;79544339 [user=2388665 said:
@TheSSJ[/user] -Great Work man!

Will try it out as soon as I get a chance :)

edit - is the TWRP version the same as Oreo or a newer one ?

edit 2 - Are you building an Aokp version ?

Twrp is the same with oreo i installed it.

I was thinking about aokp too but didnt want to put pressure on you. you are already busy. @TheSSJ what do you think about this?

koktey14

Nov 5, 2017
Now i installed the new build but i have a problem. First i made an update but i wasnt able to open get through lock screen after that i made a clean install but now it is too laggy always freezing. Its too difficult to use this build.

TheSSJ

Feb 25, 2010
OnePlus Nord
Now i installed the new build but i have a problem. First i made an update but i wasnt able to open get through lock screen after that i made a clean install but now it is too laggy always freezing. Its too difficult to use this build.

Strange,i just clean installed and it is working really fast
Can you provide dmesg and logcat please, then I can check

Reactions: bius88

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unfortunately the hoster where my build server is located raised the fees and i had no way to download a backup of my data... As i can't afford it now i had to delete everything. With a heavy heart I have to discontinue this great ROM for a great phone..

- first of all, thanks to @tdm for his tremendous effort to have us all enjoy LineageOS in the first place, without his contribution this thread would never exist. Also thanks for tdm's Lineage 14.1 where I took this post's layout from :) -
    logo-teal.png

Gentlemen,

The time has come to share what's due to be shared.

Supported devices
    * US model running 7.1.1 b14 firmware
    * EU model running 7.1.1 b12 firmware

Pre-requisites
    • Make sure to have at least this TWRP version installed
    • Patience as first start takes a while

First time install Instructions
    Use these instructions when coming from any other ROM (stock, AOKP, LineageOS 15.1, etc.)
    • Download ROM.
    • Download GAPPS if desired.
    • Boot into recovery.
    • Format/Wipe 'Dalvik/ART Cache', 'System', 'Data' and 'Cache'
    • Flash ROM.
    • Flash GAPPS if desired.
    • Reboot.

Upgrade instructions
    • Use these instructions when upgrading from a previous Lineage 16.0 build.
    • Download ROM.
    • Boot into recovery.
    • Flash ROM.
    • Reboot.

Flashing instructions
    There are two main ways to flash files onto your phone: local and sideload. Most people are only familiar with local, but sideload is much quicker and easier if you are at a PC.

Sideload
    Download the ZIP file(s) to your PC. In TWRP, select advanced and then sideload. Swipe the slider to begin, then on your PC run "adb sideload <filename>".

Local
    Download and/or copy the ZIP file(s) to your phone. Note whether they are on internal storage (the default) or the sdcard. In TWRP, select install, find your file, and select it.

Status
    This is currently stable quality

Known issues
    • Very minor graphical glitches
    • sometimes videos don't play, you have to remove the relevant all from your recent app list and restart (e.g. WhatsApp)
    • AKM DAC is not supported
    • Selinux permissive

To Do list
    • Implement Camera2 API Thanks for customizing libraries and not sharing any code or insight ZTE
    • Get DSP to kick in for high quality audio again

Download
    Google Drive

* works well with open gapps

Sources
    Device tree
    Kernel
    Vendor

Note: please refrain from requesting other Android distributions from me, like AOKP, AOSP, etc - this is most likely not going to happen from my end. As I provided all my sources you can fork the stuff yourself and try to build :)

Special thanks
    @R3bornD4rth for having provided me an axon 7 mini for my testing/debugging, which is heavily in use and doing great so far
    @tdm for his original work on this
    @armandop_ for his ZMAX Pro Repo and help getting LiveDisplay to work (flawlessly, thanks mate)
    intervigilium aka Ethan Chen for his work on HTC One A9 (hiae) (which shares the same chipset as our phones)
    Another update: Camera should be fixed for usage with the Snap Camera app provided by LineageOS itself. the only remaining bits are to get the flashlight working (it works in the camera app, but not by itself via accessing the settings drawer)
    Hotspot is still broken as well

Edit: uploaded, I have to troubleshoot why Camera2 and Snap are now both installed (with the same misleading name), but Snap works a charm

Edit2: I discovered that you have to open the camera with a third party camera app first for Snap to start working (like turning the key of a car to start the engine), I will look into this to see how this can be avoided. Since yesterday this ROM became my daily driver, good battery life I must say :)

Edit3: Next build is up, added DozeService (not sure if it works), pinned critical system components to increase stability, still no luck with hotspot though
    Found the error
    Next build features:
    Videos playing again(tested with YouTube and prime Video)
    Memory issues fixed (reason for lags)
    Camera working with 3rd Party apps
    Graphical glitches gone

EDIT: uploaded, enjoy
    quick update
    i think i got 90 percent done by now
    fingers crossed

edit: preview works! shouldn't take long until taking pictures and saving them will work
    so i finally let go off the camera, camera2 is off the table

currently building August security patch set, will let you know :good:

edit: it's up, finally