• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[discontinued][ROM][unlocked][ford,austin] Fire Nexus ROM [26 MAY 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Ziona

May 4, 2019
Caribbean
Thanks for the reply. So, I am not sure what I did, BUT it's stuck in a loop(when it starts up this ROM). I think I can get it into Amazon Recovery Mode. Any advice? It's been a while since flashing ROMS. Thanks!
UPDATE: So, I thought I bricked the device BUT I found a video by ROOTJUNKY and was able to restore it to an Amazon Device. Now, need to flash another ROM(I can't stop).

lineage 12.1 with sd card support or 14.1 which is fast but still in beta no sdcard support as yet are good options. :good:

sandman512

Nov 12, 2007
Thanks for the reply. How can I tell if I have the Ford version. FWIW, I just flashed it back to stock. Thanks.

EDIT: Just saw that it is a 5th generation with OS 5.3.6.4

Last edited:

mishroot

Dec 11, 2019
Do I need to change the boot loader if I've already rooted my 5th gen device? I currently had an old cyanogenmod ROM on this device. I just dusted it off and I'm looking at flashing this ROM on it.

Edit: Actually I am running lp-fire-nexus-rom-20171217
Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: greeneyez15o

mrmazak

Jun 16, 2013
Do I need to change the boot loader if I've already rooted my 5th gen device? I currently had an old cyanogenmod ROM on this device. I just dusted it off and I'm looking at flashing this ROM on it.

Edit: Actually I am running lp-fire-nexus-rom-20171217
Thanks

Yes, have root is not enough to install these ROMs. You must be unlocked.

Reactions: DB126

iguanabob

Feb 26, 2020
Would this ROM allow for overclocking the CPU or GPU on the fire tablet? I'm trying to use a 5th gen Fire 7 as a video monitor for Ring cameras and video is quite choppy/freezes. Was wondering about overclocking using a custom firmware to see if that would help performance, but as I already have the rest of the automation working on the stock FireOS without root I didn't want to go down this route if overclock was not possible.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Would this ROM allow for overclocking the CPU or GPU on the fire tablet? I'm trying to use a 5th gen Fire 7 as a video monitor for Ring cameras and video is quite choppy/freezes. Was wondering about overclocking using a custom firmware to see if that would help performance, but as I already have the rest of the automation working on the stock FireOS without root I didn't want to go down this route if overclock was not possible.
- you can not overclock this device
- even if you could the underlying chipset is incapable of appreciably higher performance/throughput regardless of clock rate, voltage, etc.

BcNexus

Feb 13, 2009
The tablet (Ford) is my dad’s and he wants to start using it again because he going to an Android class tomorrow to catchup on Android because I replaced his old LG Fuel Tracfone running 4.something (I think) with a Pixel 3a so he could use Live Transcribe because he’s hard of hearing.

Anyway, the tablet is running the 05 May 2018 version of this rom. The last time I tried installing Magisk, I had to reflash from scratch. I think that was before the warning about Magisk was at the beginning of this thread.

Anyway, how do I update to the May 2019 version of this ROM using Flash Fire and then get Magisk working? TIA!!!

Edit: I previously did not have to use Linux and unlock the boot rom. But is that the case now? I can’t just use Flash Fire?

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
The tablet (Ford) is my dad’s and he wants to start using it again because he going to an Android class tomorrow to catchup on Android because I replaced his old LG Fuel Tracfone running 4.something (I think) with a Pixel 3a so he could use Live Transcribe because he’s hard of hearing.

Anyway, the tablet is running the 05 May 2018 version of this rom. The last time I tried installing Magisk, I had to reflash from scratch. I think that was before the warning about Magisk was at the beginning of this thread.

Anyway, how do I update to the May 2019 version of this ROM using Flash Fire and then get Magisk working? TIA!!!

Edit: I previously did not have to use Linux and unlock the boot rom. But is that the case now? I can’t just use Flash Fire?
Can't use Flashfire; latest ROMs require an unlocked bootloader.

Reactions: BcNexus

Echoecho33

Jan 9, 2017
I found this thread from https://www.thepolyglotdeveloper.com/2016/05/install-better-custom-rom-amazon-kindle-fire/

I have asked this question elsewhere on the XDA site, but it seems this thread might be of the most help to me.
I will delete the other posting of this question after I get an answer.

Years ago I rooted my 5th Generation Kindle Fire (2015) by using a thread on this very forum.
I am not really a developer, so I rely on your expertise to make sure I am doing the best I can.

I have Google Play, SuperSU, System App Remover, Root Checker, Chrome, Firefox, etc. already installed on my Kindle.
Well, as I kept this Kindle from updating, most of the Amazon apps themselves have become useless (including Prime Video AND the Amazon shopping app itself- which I get a message to just use a browser. I didn't mind doing this for either Amazon service.) (In fact, I kind of hate the AppStore from Amazon)
But I still liked my "Kindle" [Fire] as a Kindle e-reader. (especially for all the Amazon specific content that I both own and borrow from public libraries -Overdrive, etc. I have [Google] Play Books, and ReadEra installed on the device too, but like I said Amazon just has more content. (and since I have a Prime account, I won't "lose" my bought books even if I can not currently access them via this device)

Yesterday I stupidly got pissed off at the "Kindle" app and tried to update it. Which then made it crash. So I tried to download the "Kindle App for Android" off of Google Play which also crashes. Then I (under bad advice) removed the whole Kindle system app from the device (using System App Remover) AND (also under bad advice) when I rebooted the device, that file that was in the recycle bin was gone.
I have tried using an APK site for an older version of "Kindle App for Android" which also does not work.

So now I am looking for help doing one of two things:
1.) Either get the original Kindle [system] app back on this device
Or
2.) what would probably be preferred at this point: change the whole OS to some form of Andriod OS that will accept the "Kindle App for Android" app
BUT in my research of how to do this option, every forum I have found (including wikihow.com & thepolyglotdeveloper.com* has only given instructions of how to do this by starting over completely. Do I really need to start over completely as my Kindle is already (and is still currently) rooted?

I can (and did) download FlashFire from the Google Play store.
What would be the steps from this point?

I would be happy to give anyone more specific information to help me in my quest. (Quick! before my Overdrive book is due back to the library!)

Thank you in advance for any advice or redirection to existing threads/articles you can give me.

EDIT: Since my device is already rooted and I have Google Play, can I install Flashfire from Google Play and install a better OS from there?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    [COLOR="gray"]
    /*
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
     * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
     * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
     * in the products you find here before flashing it!
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
     */
    [/COLOR]

Information + Features
    - Pure AOSP Experience
    - Also ideal for customisation through Xposed

- EVEN MORE IMPORTANT: As of January 2019 this ROM only works on devices using the bootloader hack. See <<< HERE >>> to unlock your devices.

- IMPORTANT: Do not update Magisk via the Magisk Manager App, your device will enter a bootloop if you do. Instead update Magisk via TWRP only. If you do this by accident then it is recoverable by just flashing the latest version of the ROM again (with gapps etc as required).

Rules
    - Please search the thread before asking questions
    - Please try to stay on topic, I know it's not always possible
    - Please report bugs here
    - Report only one issue per bug report
    - When reporting bugs please post a logcat and/or dmesg containing pertinent information regarding the issue...
    - Saying something isn't working without proper explanation will not attract any attention.

Prerequisites for Installation
    - Unlocked Bootloader
    - TWRP Installed

Downloads
    *** Please do NOT create any mirrors ***
    - Fire Nexus ROM for Amazon Fire 7"

Source Code
    - Kernel Source: https://github.com/ggow/android_kernel_amazon_mt8127-common

Credits
    - Google / AOSP
    - Lineage
    - CAF
    - Temasek

XDA:DevDB Information
    lp-fire-nexus-rom, ROM for the Amazon Fire

Contributors
    ggow
    ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2016-01-25
    Last Updated 2019-05-26
    Change log / Release Notes

[tbd] August 2019
    - ASB August 2019 patches (sec. string 2019-08-05)
    - Update Chromium WebView to 76.0.3809.111
    -

26 May 2019

- ASB May 2019 patches (sec. string 2019-05-05)
    - Fixed video recording
    - WiFi: Use hardware MAC address
    - Bluetooth: Use hardware MAC address
    - Fixed swype functionality when using AOSP keyboard

03 May 2019

- Fix certificate store issue which prevented connections to google servers.

01 May 2019

- ASB Apr 2019 patches (sec. string 2019-04-05)
    - Upstreamed kernel to 3.10.108
    - Add support for Austin Fire 7 7th Gen
    - Updated webview
    - Removed AOSP Calculator
    - Tested with Latest OpenGapps Pico
    - Tested with Magisk 19.1
    - Unlocked bootloader only
    - Gapps no longer included
    - Root no longer included
    - Enjoy!

02 June 2018
    - ASB May 2018 patches (sec. string 2018-05-05)
    - Android System Webview updated to M66

05 May 2018
    - Port relevant security patches up to April 2018
    - Update chromium-webview: 59.0.3071.92 -> 65.0.3325.144

17 December 2017
    - Port relevant security patches to up December 2017

02 December 2017
    - Port relevant security patches to up November 2017
    - Switch to using FireOS 5.4.0.0 update-kindle-37.5.7.9_user_579225620 binaries and boot.img
    - Fixed backlight becoming stuck on minimum setting. This needs more users to test. It works for me so far :)

02 October 2017
    - Port relevant security patches to up September 2017
    - Includes all bluebourne patches
    - Standalone build is now available in the same download location
    - First standalone filename is "lp-fire-nexus-rom-ford-standalone-20171002.zip"

22 July 2017
    - Upgrade ROM base LMY49M
    - Port security patches up to July 2017
    - Integrate Prebuilt webview.apk from CM-14.1
    - Compile ROM using Snapdragon LLVM 3.8.8
    - Upgrade to open_gapps-arm-5.1-nano-20170702.zip
    - Tested flashing from Lineage-12.1 -> Fire Nexus ROM via FlashFire 0.57
    - Tested upgrading from 08 FEB version to this via FlashFire 0.57

08 February 2017
    - Switch to using FireOS 5.1.4 update-kindle-37.5.4.4_user_544271020 binaries and boot.img
    - Fix Miracast
    - Fix-up camera and video camera connect and recording problems.
    - Re-tested:
    • Snapshot Camera
    • Video Camera
    • Google Services
    • VLC
    • Miracast
    • Video Playback
    • Audio Playback

02 February 2017
    - Fixed bug causing google play services to repeatedly crash
    - Fixed supersu.apk disappearing
    - Updated SuperSU to 2.79
    - Updated gapps to open_gapps-arm-5.1-nano-20170202.zip

Older HIstory
    24 November 2016
    - November 2016 AOSP Security Patch Level
    - Switch to using lastest FireOS 5.3.2 - update-kindle-global-37.5.6.0_user_560177220 binaries and boot.img
    - Fix Video Recorder bug [Cannot connect to camera]
    - Fix bug in OMX causing freeze of video

04 November 2016
    - October 2016 AOSP Security Patch Level
    - Fix x265 video playback - Thanks @jeromeof

23 September 2016
    - September 2016 Security Patch Level
    - Updated integrated gapps to open_gapps-arm-5.1-nano-20160923
    - Switch to using lastest FireOS 5.3.1 - update-kindle-global-37.5.5.2_user_552153420 binaries and boot.img

12 August 2016
    - August 2016 Security Patch Level
    - Updated integrated gapps to open_gapps-arm-5.1-nano-20160812
    - Fix audio lag issue in games - thanks @$ideWinder

28 July 2016
    - July 2016 Security Patch Level
    - Fixed SuperSU update binary problem
    - Updated integrated gapps to open_gapps-arm-5.1-nano-20160728
    - Upgrade SuperSU to 2.76 Stable

15 June 2016
    - June 2016 Security Patch Level
    - Added CIFS Support (Instructions here)
    - Fix Swipe for stock keyboard
    - Fixed failure to mount /system partition error due to change in build system
    - Switch to using lastest update-kindle-37.5.4.4_user_544271020 binaries and boot.img

19 May 2016
    - May 2016 Security Patch Level

20 April 2016
    - Add app name to "Android is Upgrading..." dialog
    - Fix sdcard write access
    - Enable Bluetooth LE

05 April 2016
    - Includes April 2016 Security Patch Level
    - Update to android-5.1.1_r37
    - Switch to using lastest update-kindle-global-37.5.4.2_user_542168620 binaries and boot.img

29 March 2016
    - Includes 01 March 2016 Security Patch Level
    - Upgrade SuperSU to 2.65 Stable

29 Feb 2016
    - Fixed Downloads App Crash
    - Updated integrated gapps to open_gapps-arm-5.1-nano-20160228

09 Feb 2016
    - Fixed AOSP Keyboard Swype functionality
    - Location Services Fixed
    - Screen Rotation Glitches Fixed

07 Feb 2016
    - Built in SuperSU
    - Updated codebase to android-5.1.1_r34
    - Includes 01 February 2016 Security Patch Level
    - Upon installation open SuperSU and update binary via the Normal Method following the prompts

27 Jan 2016
    - Fix Screenshot capture by rotating memory buffer according to ro.sf.hwrotation
    - Fixed camera/media/stagefright issues causing inability to save images
    - Fixed sdcard access, tested from ES File Explorer

25 Jan 2016
    - Initial Release
    New Build is Up

- Dated 22 July 2017
    - Upgrade ROM base LMY49M
    - Port security patches up to July 2017
    - Integrate Prebuilt webview.apk from CM-14.1
    - Compile ROM using Snapdragon LLVM 3.8.8
    - Upgrade to open_gapps-arm-5.1-nano-20170202.zip
    - Tested flashing from Lineage-12.1 -> Fire Nexus ROM via FlashFire 0.57
    - Tested upgrading from 08 FEB version to this via FlashFire 0.57
    Progress for Next version

- I'm working on an update which should fix up the previous borked release.
    - This ROM relies on gapps been included to work correctly so will not be releasing without it
    - I've fixed a bug in one of the last security updates I back-ported. Google services using the latest gapps now seems stable.
    - I wanted to check over a few more things and do some testing before release.
    - Hopefully should be done within the next couple of days.
    New Build is Up

- Dated 17 December 2017
    - Port relevant security patches to up December 2017