• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[DISCONTINUED][ROM][V4 18.11.2016] Android 7.1 Nougat AOSP (NDE63X) for SGP611/SGP621

Search This thread

ux50jp

Oct 23, 2010
After uninstalled Lux Lite, I don't have even a single soft reboot for the past 2.5 days of heavy use.
And the battery life is excellent during standby(enabled zzmoove & noop, +Naptime).

bogdaniux

Sep 13, 2012
I never installed Lux Lite, and I still have random reboots. Sometimes in minutes, sometimes after 16h. Tried both boot.img.
And I could never make it recognize the microsd(128GB evo+). Corrupted. Some say that it is so because I left it inside while unlocking the bootloader and that somehow it changed the size. I cannot tell... I tried reinitializing, deleting partition and recreating it. Used AParted mostly. Also TWRP doesn't detect it. Actually, if I boot to recovery while the microsd is in, TWRP freezes until I remove the card. If I stick it in after recovery has booted, then 0MB. Nothing worked. EVERY other microsd works in my tablet, and my microsd works in ALL other devices. Just this combination doesn't work. Pretty frustrating.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: ux50jp

Bladeinger

Nov 22, 2010
I came from 5.1.1 Stock/Rooted, (23.4.A.1.264).
Doing a logcat will be difficult, as the reboots are absolutely unpredictable.
Sometimes 3 or 4 reboots per hour, sometimes half a day without any problem...

ux50jp

Oct 23, 2010
How do I enable noop?

Just install Kernel Auditor and change the settings.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

I never installed Lux Lite, and I still have random reboots. Sometimes in minutes, sometimes after 16h. Tried both boot.img.
And I could never make it recognize the microsd(128GB evo+). Corrupted. Some say that it is so because I left it inside while unlocking the bootloader and that somehow it changed the size. I cannot tell... I tried reinitializing, deleting partition and recreating it. Used AParted mostly. Also TWRP doesn't detect it. Actually, if I boot to recovery while the microsd is in, TWRP freezes until I remove the card. If I stick it in after recovery has booted, then 0MB. Nothing worked. EVERY other microsd works in my tablet, and my microsd works in ALL other devices. Just this combination doesn't work. Pretty frustrating.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I have exactly the same problem from the beginning with this kernel and twrp combination. Initialized with Ubuntu, W10, Mac, SD manufacturer's fix & formatter but no luck.:crying: I did everything I can think of...and still thinking:cool:

lowtraxx

Sep 20, 2007
Augsburg
blog.toshsoft.de
Could the people who have reboot issues try installing my boot image and enable zzmoove cpufreq governor? Install Kernel Toolkit or Kernel Auditor and set it as default. If that does not help, try also setting noop as default I/O scheduler. I have had not a single crash since I started using V3 and I had both of them set since the beginning.

Earlier today I did a clean flash of V3. I will not change anything kernel related and just use it as such, in the hopes that I can reproduce crashes or reboots and finally figure out, where they come from.

Bladeinger

Nov 22, 2010
As the reboots were the same with the unmodified boot image, I reinstalled the modified one this morning and tried to get a logcat from a reboot.
Since now (after about 8 hours) not a single reboot - devil is a squirrel, as we say in Germany... ;)

I just set the governor to zzmove, according to your recommendation.

thommcn

Aug 2, 2011
Must be murphy's law but I have no reboots.
Previously I came from Paranoid Android to version 1, upgraded to 2 then to version 3 (scorpion_windy-nougat-7.1-v3.zip) then loads of reboots.
This time I installed the latest cyanogenmod nightly (cm-12.1-20161016-NIGHTLY-scorpion_windy.zip) then installed scorpion_windy-nougat-7.1-v3.zip, installed all my apps, adb logcat to my computer and waited to see what I could do to make it crash - still waiting :)

Bladeinger

Nov 22, 2010
Yes, it's really weird.
Since I switched back to the modified boot.img, after one day testing the unmodified one, I also didn't have a single reboot (for 24 hours now).
Is it possible, that simply switching the bootimages back and forth solves the problem? Sounds crazy to me... :silly:

NTRNSTR

Jul 30, 2016
One reboot so far after enabling noop and zzmoove, on a clean install of v3. Still have that weird kernel wake lock after a full charge though.

bogdaniux

Sep 13, 2012
Can't seem to be able to provoke a reboot while charging, even USB charging. I played today for hours while adb logcat was waiting. Nothing. Also, I wasn't able to get a crash when battery was over 50%. I find that interesting. Is it the same for you guys?

Sent from my Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact(AOSP) using Tapatalk

Bladeinger

Nov 22, 2010
No, for me it was definitely not like this.
While my Tab had the reboot issue, it also rebooted while charging and also when battery was over 50%.
The reboots stopped after switching back to the modified boot.img and trying to do a logcat from a reboot.
Now 3 days without a reboot, one day with interactive, two days with zzmove. So the problem seems also not to be governor-related.

thommcn

Aug 2, 2011
I think why we're getting random reboots because we're installing this rom without wiping the device before install. If we're installing a custom rom in TWRP the most stable route is to: wipe -> advanced wipe -> select Dalvik, System, Cache, Data and then Swipe to Wipe. Then we would go to Install and install our rom ie. aicp, omnirom and so on.

http://androidforums.com/threads/guide-how-to-flash-a-nexus-factory-image-manually.706533/

This is what I did this morning. I put my tablet in boot mode and executed the following commands.
Wipe
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata

Flashing:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader

fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot flash FOTAKernel twrp-3.0.2-0-scorpion_windy.img

If only updating your device, flash boot.img and system.img
Then before your device boots, go in twrp, -> wipe -> advanced wipe -> select Dalvik, Cache and then Swipe to Wipe. Then Reboot System.

thommcn

Aug 2, 2011
I did all the stuff I mentioned in my previous post, just booted it for the first time and it's just crashed after making a simple language change from U.S. English to U.K. English. I hadn't even got around to hook it for an adb logcat.

michael_hamada

How to update?

@lowtraxx;
Fist of all, THX so much for your great work. It's so amazing and I haven't imagined I can run Nougat on my old SGP611.
Honestly, the ROM is very simple compared with CM14, but it's ok and I love it.
I haven't encountered serious issue so far, but I wonder how can I play around with next V4?
Should I do same procedure again? Boot PC, flash "img" using fastboot, flash TWRP, get root and reinstall apps all over again?:confused:
My only hope is we could have the version which is TWRP flashable like CM and so on...so that we won't need to reinstall apps.:fingers-crossed:

Anyway, I have to thank you again, lowtraxx. You are the Savior! :good:

thommcn

Aug 2, 2011
@lowtraxx;
Fist of all, THX so much for your great work. It's so amazing and I haven't imagined I can run Nougat on my old SGP611.
Honestly, the ROM is very simple compared with CM14, but it's ok and I love it.
I haven't encountered serious issue so far, but I wonder how can I play around with next V4?
Should I do same procedure again? Boot PC, flash "img" using fastboot, flash TWRP, get root and reinstall apps all over again?:confused:
My only hope is we could have the version which is TWRP flashable like CM and so on...so that we won't need to reinstall apps.:fingers-crossed:

Anyway, I have to thank you again, lowtraxx. You are the Savior! :good:

To upgrade from V3 to V4 all you need to do is repeat part of the initial install process. Extract the boot.img and system.img files and flash them over to your tablet.

Then reboot into TWRP recovery, go to Wipe, then to Advanced Wipe, select Dalvik, Cache and then Swipe to Wipe. Then Reboot System.

Reactions: michael_hamada

michael_hamada

To upgrade from V3 to V4 all you need to do is repeat part of the initial install process. Extract the boot.img and system.img files and flash them over to your tablet.

Then reboot into TWRP recovery, go to Wipe, then to Advanced Wipe, select Dalvik, Cache and then Swipe to Wipe. Then Reboot System.

THX mate;
I'm so glad to hear that!
I thought flashing by 'fastboot flash' process includes somewhat like re-partitioning with *.img so that I must flash boot/system/data whole thing.
Now I can see that 'fastboot flash (only) system.img' is much like flashing rom.zip by TERP without 'wipe data'.

THX!

lowtraxx

Sep 20, 2007
Augsburg
blog.toshsoft.de
I did all the stuff I mentioned in my previous post, just booted it for the first time and it's just crashed after making a simple language change from U.S. English to U.K. English. I hadn't even got around to hook it for an adb logcat.

Sorry to hear that it still does crash on you :( Without logs my only idea that is left is, that as you are not using GApps, it is related to the widevine codecs having problems without those.

@lowtraxx;
Honestly, the ...

@thommcn is right, but do not forget you also need to reflash GApps (if you use them) and all other modifications to /system you have made if you flash a new system.img, otherwise you end up without them ;) Also if you flash a new boot.img you need to reflash Magisk and Superuser (if you use them). But as long as you do NOT flash userdata.img, your data should be safe ;)

Reactions: michael_hamada

lowtraxx

Sep 20, 2007
Augsburg
blog.toshsoft.de
V4 is here :)

New Update is here: 18.11.2016 - V4:
- Integrated newest Android Patches from Sony and Google.
- New binaries from qcom (camera, sensors, display, ...)
- Custom kernel with additional fixes, FMRadio patches (not working yet) and zen I/O scheduler
- Fixes and Enhancements here and there

I tested functionality on my SGP621. Everything seems to work fine. SGP621 and SGP611 images are online now.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This ROM is no longer maintained. Sadly the last provided zip files got deleted by accident. If anyone can provide them, I will re-upload.

Disclaimer: Flash at your own risk! Backup your data before flashing! I am not responsible for bricked devices, World War III or your exploding cats!
    Warning: The SGP611 images are not tested, but just built by me, as I do not own the device. But as the two devices are the same except for the 4G Modem, it should work. If not, please let me know.

About:
    As my beloved SGP621 was just collecting dust, I decided to try porting Android 7.1 AOSP onto it.
    And voila, with a few tweaks here and there, it works (for the most part).

What works:
    - Display
    - Sound
    - WiFi
    - 4G Data
    - Bluetooth
    - NFC (somewhat flakey, but much better with fixes in V4)
    - LED
    - Magnetic Cover Sleep/Wake
    - WideVine DRM
    - Double-Tap to wake

What doesn't work:
    - FM Radio (working on it)
    - Camera (Taking Pictures works, but sometimes the camera is not able to connect. Taking a video crashes the mediaserver.)
    - You tell me

I have used it for the last few weeks. Battery life near optimal now and I had no crashes up until now. If your battery depletes rapidly, please disable NFC and check if it betters things. Then comment here, so I can look into it.

Keeping your data:
    If you come from an earlier version of this ROM it should suffice to only flash boot.img and system.img. Coming from Stock or another ROM you could try to not flash userdata and see if it would keep your data, but I think it will not work in most cases.

Flashing:
    Flashing userdata it is like doing a wipe. So BACKUP your data! You have been warned!
    To flash it, you need to put your tablet into fastboot mode (VolUp + plugging in USB-Cable) and then flash the three image files from the zip file in the provided link like:
    Code:
    fastboot flash userdata userdata.img

gapps and/or root:
    If you want Google Apps and/or root you need to download official twrp for scorpion windy (or inofficial for scorpion) from here and flash it to the FOTAKernel partition with the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash FOTAKernel twrp-3.0.2-0-scorpion_windy.img
    After that you can boot into recovery by hitting VolUp multiple times once the LED flashes purple until it turns orange.
    From there you are able to flash
    - gapps for Nougat 7.1 arm (nano confirmed working, others could be problematic)
    - Magisk-V8 and phh-SuperUser (confirmed working)

Tips for better battery life:
    I installed Naptime to trigger deep doze as soon as the tablet goes to sleep. I also enabled zzmoove cpu gov and noop scheduler in the kernel options. Because of the high display brightness, I installed Lux Lite, to dim the screen if it is darker. This leads to me getting standby battery consumption of around 1.2% per hour (measured with GSam Battery Monitor) which is nearly the same amount I got with stock.

Changelog:
    18.11.2016 - V4:
    - Custom kernel with additional fixes, FMRadio patches (not working yet) and zen I/O scheduler
    08.11.2016 - V3:
    - Integrated newest Android Version NDE63X from earlier today.
    - Integrated and enabled WideVine DRM, so that Google Play Movies is now working.
    - Custom kernel with additional zzmoove governer and adreno_idler patches to lengthen battery life
    04.11.2016 - V2:
    - switched the Camera subsystem to HAL1 after discussion with the sony camera guys
    - fixed most of the camera related crashes and hangs. Quality of the preview is poor, but pictures are okay.
    - Taking a Video crashes the mediaserver and yields no playable result as of now.
    - added build for SGP611, which is untested as I do not own the device. But it should work.
    02.11.2016 - V1:
    - Initial release: Everything except Camera is working. Camera uses HAL3.

- Sony, for providing awesome AOSP support on github

Downloads (currently not available):
    V4 - GDrive - SGP621: scorpion-nougat-7.1-v4.zip
    V4 - GDrive - SGP611: scorpion_windy-nougat-7.1-v4.zip

Older Downloads:
    V3 - GDrive - SGP621: scorpion-nougat-7.1-v3.zip
    V3 - GDrive - SGP611: scorpion_windy-nougat-7.1-v3.zip
    V4 is here :)

New Update is here: 18.11.2016 - V4:

I tested functionality on my SGP621. Everything seems to work fine. SGP621 and SGP611 images are online now.
    Added build for SGP611, but the following Warning applies
    Warning: The SGP611 images are not tested, but just built by me, as I do not own the device. But as the two devices are the same except for the 4G Modem, it should work. If not, please let me know.
    Have fun testing ;)
    New V3 build is here.

If you come from an earlier version of this ROM it should suffice to only flash boot.img and system.img. Afterwards you need to reflash Superuser as well as GApps again (There are new opengapps available for today!).

Changelog:
    08.11.2016 - V3:
    - Integrated newest Android Version NDE63X from earlier today.
    - Integrated and enabled WideVine DRM, so that Google Play Movies is now working.
    - Custom kernel with additional zzmoove governer and adreno_idler patches to lengthen battery life

Tips for battery life:
    I installed Naptime to trigger deep doze as soon as the tablet goes to sleep (needs root). I also enabled zzmoove cpu gov and noop scheduler in the kernel options. Because of the high display brightness, I installed Lux Lite, to dim the screen if it is darker. This leads to me getting standby battery consumption of around 1.2% per hour (measured with GSam Battery Monitor) which is nearly the same amount I got with stock.
    Tried with many different samples from mplayerhq with many different codecs. In VLC with hardware and software decoding as well as with firefoxes internal playback. They all played back fine and without color distortion. Maybe your player app is not yet compatible with 7.1?

my fault I only tried playing with the gallery. other apps work well and I forgot to mention that I've installed this rom on my SGP611. thanks!

@lowtraxx

Is this also for the WiFi only Z3 Tablet? (Scorpion Windy)

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk
    Well this is a surprise. Since I never used NFC and the Cameras with the tablet and always got rid of the corresponding apks in /system this would actually be a daily runner for me right now :D
    Sadly I only have a SGP611, so no love for me right now...

Anyway, top notch work, keep it up!

I've installed this rom on my SGP611 and it works well. Give it a try, everything is working fine :D