2023 SM-G950U/U1/W Rev8 Root Method Android 9 (snapdragon models) Via Bootloader Unlock Token

Search This thread

Rayray967

Mar 22, 2021
disregard my last message. My real question is why is the system/app folder completely full after all this? The only reason i'm rooting is to convert apps to system apps but I'm unable to because all of the space is used on this rom. Is there any roms available that don't use all of the system storage?

jrkruse

Recognized Contributor
Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
Well its been a fun ride for the 8 series but from here on out I do not support or encourage rootIng this device. A good number of devices have become hard bricked from simply flashing the combo firmware. I don't know why this happens to only some phones possible a past OTA corrupted a partition on the phones or something. Whatever the reason I have decided to pull the method and will no longer support it. Please don't ask for files or help I will provide neither. I will leave rooted and non rooted safestrap roms up for those that still have a rooted 8 series.

Dash_k

Jun 26, 2018
It's bad day to our device..but we have to deal with and move on ..thanks for your hard work bro we appreciate your all effort

gmkhamisani60

May 6, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S8
Vivo V20 SE
20210508_165130.jpg

passionicon

Jun 5, 2013
los angeles
I have a spare s8 which I don't mind bricking. It's not my main device. But I'm interested in rooting for fun. Does your method still work for my type of device?

I'm on pie, g950usqu5drl7, January 1 2019 security patch.

Just need a working robot method if any exists. Don't mind the risk at all.

Thanks

jay___jw

Aug 20, 2016
I have a spare s8 which I don't mind bricking. It's not my main device. But I'm interested in rooting for fun. Does your method still work for my type of device?

I'm on pie, g950usqu5drl7, January 1 2019 security patch.

Just need a working robot method if any exists. Don't mind the risk at all.

Thanks
hey, did he ever send you any files or anything. i got a new s20 fe 5g and also dont mind bricking my cracked device. :)

Reual

Aug 14, 2021
so my phone is on the latest update sadly. basebandversion G50U1EU8DUD3 and as I understand it, it's not a v7 bootloader but v8. Is there anything I can do?

Reual

Aug 14, 2021
What are you trying to do??
would like to remove bloatware (can't even disable some of it) try out a few custom roms, and there's other adjustments I'd like to make as well. (looking into adding switch controller support via usb c. There's no support for it via usb c. Using bluetooth regardless of applications i've found at this point to adjust the bluetooth connection, still offer poor performance/laggy inputs with it, hence the reason I'm looking for doing that. Which most definitely requires root acess)

butchieboy

Feb 15, 2012
springfield.il
would like to remove bloatware (can't even disable some of it) try out a few custom roms, and there's other adjustments I'd like to make as well. (looking into adding switch controller support via usb c. There's no support for it via usb c. Using bluetooth regardless of applications i've found at this point to adjust the bluetooth connection, still offer poor performance/laggy inputs with it, hence the reason I'm looking for doing that. Which most definitely requires root acess)

Reual

Aug 14, 2021

Top Liked Posts

New unlock & root method worked great. Fastest root I've ever done.

Process for my G950U1 (special steps 5-7):
    1. In download mode flashed BL_G950USQU8DUA2.....md5
    2. Phone auto-rebooted to System, ran quick setup (maybe didn't need to?)
    3. In download mode flashed the purchased token AP_G950U1_[myDIDnum].tar in AP slot
    4. Rebooted to download mode, no Prenormal, all good
    5. Powered off, inserted SIM card (again this is for the U1)
    6. Flashed SM-G950U1UEU8DVD4_UNLOCKED_Firmware without AIO (empty Userdata slot)
    7. Rebooted to system, connected to Wifi & ran setup
    8. Rebooted to download mode, no Prenormal
    9. Flashed AIO (the FORCE_WIPE one) in Userdata slot (with "Auto Reboot" checked)
    10. Phone rebooted to TWRP and executed some stuff, and then booted to System. Done. (y)

Between steps 3 & 4 (after flashing the unlock token) I might have rebooted to system before going to download mode. Can't remember, sorry.

I got a lilttle nervous at step 7. With the SIM card inserted, right after I started setup (with Internet) the phone said it needed to reboot to install something... ??? ... but whatever it did, no problem. Finished setup without a hitch. (Note, I use Ting Mobile which works on either T-Mobile or Verizon, depending on which SIM card is in the phone. I used a T-Mobile SIM from my daily phone.)

@jrkruse, super great deal not only keeping this thread alive but making it A#1 for Snapdragon owners. MEGA THANKS for always being here for us man. :coffee:
    New unlock & root method worked great. Fastest root I've ever done.

Process for my G950U1 (special steps 5-7):
    1. In download mode flashed BL_G950USQU8DUA2.....md5
    2. Phone auto-rebooted to System, ran quick setup (maybe didn't need to?)
    3. In download mode flashed the purchased token AP_G950U1_[myDIDnum].tar in AP slot
    4. Rebooted to download mode, no Prenormal, all good
    5. Powered off, inserted SIM card (again this is for the U1)
    6. Flashed SM-G950U1UEU8DVD4_UNLOCKED_Firmware without AIO (empty Userdata slot)
    7. Rebooted to system, connected to Wifi & ran setup
    8. Rebooted to download mode, no Prenormal
    9. Flashed AIO (the FORCE_WIPE one) in Userdata slot (with "Auto Reboot" checked)
    10. Phone rebooted to TWRP and executed some stuff, and then booted to System. Done. (y)

Between steps 3 & 4 (after flashing the unlock token) I might have rebooted to system before going to download mode. Can't remember, sorry.

I got a lilttle nervous at step 7. With the SIM card inserted, right after I started setup (with Internet) the phone said it needed to reboot to install something... ??? ... but whatever it did, no problem. Finished setup without a hitch. (Note, I use Ting Mobile which works on either T-Mobile or Verizon, depending on which SIM card is in the phone. I used a T-Mobile SIM from my daily phone.)

@jrkruse, super great deal not only keeping this thread alive but making it A#1 for Snapdragon owners. MEGA THANKS for always being here for us man. :coffee:
    Root Method And Bootloader Unlock For S8 Snapdragon
    Bootloaders can be unlocked via unlock token this is a paid service and more information found out below

Before unlocking bootloader preparations
    Downloads
    Odin3_v3.14.1_3B_PatcheD.7z

BL_G950USQU8DUA2_CL17214672_QB37456207_REV01_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5

Instructions
    USB 2 mini hub will probably be needed

Flash the above BL file in Odin BL slot and reboot
    Flashed purchased token from above site
    After token unlock make sure your phones KG status is not prenormal you can chek this status in download mode. If it is prenormal reboot to phone and connect to a network.

Once Bootloaders are unlocked use below file to root
    Full Firmware

SM-G950USQU8DUJ1_UNLOCKED_FIRMWARE.7z
    SM-G950U1UEU8DVD4_UNLOCKED_FIRMWARE.7z -- See Instructions Below
    SM-G950WVLU8CUF3_UNLOCKED_FIRMWARE.7z

Stand Alone AIO

USERDATA_AIO_G950U_U1_W_ALL_CSC_ZYGISK_FORCE_WIPE_2023_08_22.tar.md5
    USERDATA_AIO_G950U_U1_W_ALL_CSC_ZYGISK_NO_WIPE_2023_08_22.tar.md5

Instructions

USB 2 mini hub will probably be needed
    Flash Firmware if you want to update to the latest in appropriate Odin slots.
    If you want to stay on current choose the stand Alone AIO and flash in Userdata slot
    Phone will reboot to twrp and format data and install root
    Phone will reboot to setup

Instructions For U1 Firmware
    U1 firmware you need to install the firmware first without using the AIO make sure sim you are using is in the phone. Once phone is booted connect to internet go through setup the reboot back to download mode and flash the stand alone AIO by itself in odin. If you dont do this you will get service provider update and wont be able to git rid of it

Additional Help Found On My Telegram Channel

Old Root Method For S8 U/U1/W Series Phones Rev8 Locked Bootloader

This method only gives you root on Nougat if you want to root Pie you must use and pay for above method!!
    One Click Method Brought To Everyone By oakieville He provide this free of charge so If you like maybe give him a little donation
    Paypal email is oakieville209@gmail.com

Before Starting This Process Get A USB2 Mini Hub You Are Most Likely Going Too Need It. Do Not Come In Here And Post This Is Not Working Until You Have Tried It With The USB2 Mini Hub!

You Must Start From Stock U Firmware. IT Seems To Be The Less Likely To Brick Your Device As Explained In The Disclaimer!

Disclaimer Please Read!!

This may brick your device there is a problem especially with s8 and note 8 models where the tz partition becomes corrupted and on some occasions after flashing combination firmware your phone will become bricked and as of now there is no way to fix it. There is no way to predict if it will happen. It doesn’t seem too happen very often on s8+ but it does occasionally happen on the other 2 models so do this at your own risk. I would say it probably happens 10 percent of the time on s8 and note 8 especially when on bit 6 or higher firmwares. S8+ it rarely happens too but it still may. If you take the risk and it happens do not pm me asking how to fix it as of time I posted this there is no way to fix it

Please Read Notes

OEM Toggle Does Nothing On US Model Phones

You will most likely need a USB 2 mini hub for Odin to work if using windows 8 or higher. I would temporarily disable windows defender or antivirus software while performing the procedure with your computer.

You cannot have root on any rom except a nougat rom also flashing custom boot images cannot be done or using systemless magisk. Hiding root or running modules cannot be done. There is no oem unlock and even if there is you cannot unlock your bootloaders or run any aosp based roms.

You can be on any firmware to achieve safestrap but to run a rooted rom you will be limited to using a special nougat android 7 rom. You can have safestrap on pie android 9 which gives you some ability to modify system files flash zips etc and have access too data and other partitions that are normally blocked but you can not run root on android 9 because root on android 9 requires a modified boot image

Anything here with a .7z extension will get unzipped before using
    Anything here with a .zip extension will get flashed a zip in safestrap
    Anything here with a .tar or .md5 gets flashed in odin
    Anything here with a .img extension gets flashed as image in safestrap

Additional Help Can Be Found In The Telegram Channel
    Telegram Channel For 8 Series Root

Downloads

Odin3_v3.14.1_3B_PatcheD.7z
    SM-G950U_VZW_G950USQU8DUJ1.7z -- Stock U Firmware Flash First In Odin
    SAFESTRAP_S8_GUI_INSTALLER.7z - GUI 1 Click Method-Recommend!

Alt Method

Safestrap_S8_Cmd_Line.7z - Command Line 1 Click

Directions Once On Stock U Firmware

If using Safestrap_8_Series_Cmd_Line follow instructions on Cmd screen.

1. Download files and unzip SAFESTRAP_S8_GUI_INSTALLER.7z

2. Plug phone into computer and allow access too phone data

3. Run the SAFESTRAP_8_SERIES.exe file. In program choose your model of phone in drop down box then click Root Button and select COMBINATION_FA70_G950USQU8ATG1.tar.md5 file too flash it is packed in the zip you downloaded from above. Everything else is automatically done for you just follow any pop up that come up.
    image_2023-03-01_19-19-11.png

4. Phone will reboot too download and flash combo firmware and then reboot. Click dialog stating that it has rebooted and it will inject safestrap all automatically

5. When done you will have a minimal system with safestrap recovery

Instructions For Installing Rom

System Images
    system_g950_nougat.7z - Nougat Image That Can Be Rooted
    Pie With Safestrap Stock Roms Un Rooted Found Here
    Canadian Roms Found Here

1. From here you will either a nougat or pie system image to your phone which will be flashed in safestrap. Reboot to safestrap using the safestrap control app once in safestrap choose wipe then advanced wipe and wipe data. Then goto home screen of safestrap using install tab and the the flash image tab at bottom. Choose system image you copied to phone. System images get flashed too system partition.

2 My nougat system images are not pre rooted if you want for root you will also need too flash a root zip in safestrap.

Root Zips For Nougat Image

EFTSU_System-v20.4_12_28_22.zip

SuperSU_System_12_28_22.zip

Phhs_SuperSU_S8_S9_Series.zip

3. You can enter safestrap anytime on nougat by simply rebooting to recovery which will enter safestrap or by using the safestrap control app

Fingerprint Fix For Nougat Roms
    SM_G950U_FINGERPRINT_FIX.exe

4. If fingerprint not working reboot phone too download mode and run this SM_G950U_FINGERPRINT_FIX.exe

Pie With Safestrap Roms
    Full Guide found Here
    Video Tutorial
    Thank You Liset Pedraza
    Method In This Video To Obtain Safestrap Has Changed But The Process Of Using Safestrap Still Pertains

Credits
    klabit87 - Basically Everything
    GSMCHEN - The root method
    elliwigy -The root method
    afaneh92 -Safestrap and too much too mention[/MEDIA]
    oakieville - 1 click method
    Thank you guys for keeping this nice device alive.
    I'm just glad we was able to stick it to em once again ???
    rooted nougat rom added to post 2
    This method will work?
    Im on bit 7, how can i find a Stock Pie Rom with safestrap installed?

I will make one this weekend

Sent from some device I modified