• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[DISCONTINUED!!!][ROOT] [Extreme Syndicate] [Snapdragon][N950U/U1][V8 Bootloaders]

Search This thread

jrkruse

Recognized Contributor
Aug 9, 2009
Well its been a fun ride for the 8 series but from here on out I do not support or encourage rooted the device. A good number of devices have become hard bricked from simply flashing the combo firmware. I don't know why this happens to only some phones possible a past OTA corrupted a partition on the phones or something. Whatever the reason I have decided to pull the method and will no longer support it. Please don't ask for files or help I will provide neither. I will leave rooted and non rooted safestrap roms up for those that still have a rooted 8 series.

Reactions: stonedpsycho

butchieboy

Feb 15, 2012
springfield.il
I have had this on my devices for ages. Trading Note 8 in, flashed stock firmware with Odin. It installs and passes but device just bootloops. Can get to stock recovery and download without issue

Homefix

Jan 30, 2010
Rolled the dice and very CHARMED. Thank you for all you efforts!

EDIT: Fist post in a while, really need to update my old device list. (I had kids).

Homefix

Jan 30, 2010
sprint network fails after 2 days.....hmmmm...repeated 2 times(root method), works fine for 2 days then network fails, both dialout and internet. Now im back to stock, unfortunate.

Heathmcdonald

Nov 4, 2012
I'm not sure if this will work for anyone else but I was able to disconnect my battery and hold the power button for a few seconds to discharge any caps then reconnect the battery and boot to download mode when I previously got no response at all. I thought my phone was hard bricked. Hope this helps someone. It's a little tricky to remove the back without breaking it but they are $7 on Ebay and you should do yourself a favor and change the battery while you're there.

Ashimwe

Jul 9, 2021
Installed on At&t Note 8. Worked like a charm. Only posting pic to show everything went without issue. Installed pre rooted Nougat rom. Thank you very much sir. Hope you dont mind that I posted pic.[ ATTACH]4963365[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
But how did you do it cause I tried on my n950u att carrier which I flashed in n950u1 unlocked but bootloader remains locked then I was trying to root it i came up to this thread but i think i am the one who is doing it badly cause you said it was successfully so how did you do it my bootloader v8 help me and any one who know how I can root n950u model can tell me I tried many ways but still failed

butchieboy

Feb 15, 2012
springfield.il
It doesn't unlock your boot loader, and you can't unlock the bootloader. How I did it was follow the steps that are in OP. But I did have issues going back to stock so I'm not sure if the developers still reccomend using this methed.

Ashimwe

Jul 9, 2021
⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️before i perform this my phone was having pie even after installing the image it remained the same and there was no root please explain how to fix this help us

Wilsonb

Nov 23, 2010
Austin
Hi Guys..
Yes, I still have this old phone.. Been wanting to upgrade to (MAYBE) OnePlus 9 Pro , but might wait it out for next release to see if they release something better. Think I'm over the Samsung craze.

Downgrading from Pie - Extreme Syndicate to back to Syndicate NoUgat .
Did not see what version of ODIN is used.. Please post link to ODIN version used in instructions above.

Wilsonb

Nov 23, 2010
Austin
The instructions are not accurate.
After following instructions and coming from stock firmware..

Additionally, when using Odin 3.13.3 , get
Initialzation..
FAIL! SHA256 is invalid
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

BL_N950U_NOUGAT_V8.tar.md5

The instructions are not accurate.
After following instructions and coming from stock firmware..

Additionally, when using Odin 3.13.3 , get
Initialzation..
FAIL! SHA256 is invalid
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

BL_N950U_NOUGAT_V8.tar.md5
I don't think you will get any help bro, the OP does not recommend this as some people are bricking their phones randomly, I refer you to what the OP said above -

Wilsonb

Nov 23, 2010
Austin
I don't think you will get any help bro, the OP does not recommend this as some people are bricking their phones randomly, I refer you to what the OP said above -

Was just hoping to prevent others from even trying. I think the OP should take it down since instructions don't make sense with the added recommended upgrade with Stock firmware. People don't know where to go from there.

Wilsonb

Nov 23, 2010
Austin
I guess it's definitely time to move on with a bricked Note 8.
Since Samsung is such a pain w/ the CAt & Mouse game about root, moving on to something different.

Looking to jump on OnePlus 9 Pro, at least I can root (only lose is wont have AT&T at 5G)

Reactions: stonedpsycho

Heathmcdonald

Nov 4, 2012
I guess it's definitely time to move on with a bricked Note 8.
Since Samsung is such a pain w/ the CAt & Mouse game about root, moving on to something different.

Looking to jump on OnePlus 9 Pro, at least I can root (only lose is wont have AT&T at 5G)
I had luck with removing the back cover, disconnecting the battery and holding down the power button for a few seconds (like the trick ppl used on laptops) and plugging the battery back in. Was getting the weird USB qsl device or whatever and no response and I'm typing from the same phone as we speak

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well its been a fun ride for the 8 series but from here on out I do not support or encourage rootIng this device. A good number of devices have become hard bricked from simply flashing the combo firmware. I don't know why this happens to only some phones possible a past OTA corrupted a partition on the phones or something. Whatever the reason I have decided to pull the method and will no longer support it. Please don't ask for files or help I will provide neither. I will leave rooted and non rooted safestrap roms up for those that still have a rooted 8 series.
    [ROOT] [Extreme Syndicate] [Snapdragon][N950U/U1][V7 Bootloaders]

Rooted Nougat Rom

This is last nougat rom made for note 8 it is prerooted with flashfire and safestrap preinstalled. It has CSC stuff for all carriers added. Its debloated slightly with knox removed. Some stuff may not work but im not sure as I cannot test but this stuff may include fingerprint and or face recognition. If stuff doesnt work it probably related to using pie modems and non-hlos on a nougat rom which you have no choice.

Downloads
    system_n8_brb4.7z
    BL_N950U_NOUGAT_V8.tar.7z
    Includes Fingerprint and Face Unlock fix for above nougat rom. Just flash in BL slot in odin after everything else
    Magisk_System-v21_4.zip This is system magisk not the normal systemless magisk so magisk hide and modules will not work!
    SuperSU_System.zip
    Safestrap-4.10-B03-GREATQLTE-PIE.zip Will boot straight to safestrap only for pie roms
    Safestrap-4.10-B03-GREATQLTE-NOUGAT.zip Will Give you the safestrap splash screen on boot
    SM_955_Mods_Safestrap_NOUGAT.zip Will fix volte icon

Directions
    If you didnt upgrade to V8 bootloaders using odin. I recommend flashing full stock firmware with V8 bootloaders even if you are already on V8 bootloader via OTA update. I feel that maybe something in the OTA from V7 bootloaders to V8 may have corrupted a bootloader file and some people have experienced bricks with trying to update to V8 bootloaders from V7 using the below method so I recommend flashing full stock V8 firmware in Odin before trying this method and just understand there has been a risk of bricking device. Full stock can be found on Sammobile or updato or any other service you can find it. You will have to reroot of course. If you Updated to V8 bootloaders using odin method already then no need to do so again

Safestrap Method
    1. Extract system.img from the system_n8_brb4.7z and copy to phone also copy either SuperSu_System.zip or Magisk_System-v20.4.zip reboot to safestarp and flash system image
    2. Flash either SuperSu_System.zip or Magisk_System-v20.4.zip
    3. Reboot to download and flash BL_N950_NOUGAT_V8.tar.md5 in odin
    4. If you get constant rebooting to safestrap flash Nougat safestrap zip while in safestrap

New V8 Pie Rom With Safestrap For The N8 SM-N950U/U1 Can Be Found In The New Threads Below

DTI1 Pie Rom With Safestrap
    You guys could try flashing the s8+ system image on the note 8 and see if that works. I know the note 8 system image will boot on the s8+ so it should work vice versa. Xposed works on the s8+

Sent from some device I modified
    Installed on At&t Note 8. Worked like a charm. Only posting pic to show everything went without issue. Installed pre rooted Nougat rom. Thank you very much sir. Hope you dont mind that I posted pic.[ ATTACH]4963365[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    It has the battery bug that only charges at 80% after installing the root

If you look in the s8 threads I have a hack to pass the 80% charge limit It is not a bug It is a safety feature so you dont blow your fingers off