• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[DISCONTINUED][Root][SM-G950U/U1][SM-G950W][Snapdragon][V6_Bootloader][EDL_Method]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
Damn, sorry to hear that.
I wonder why it said that. Since it obviously does non-verizon phones, as it flashed sprint firmware onto my sprint S7 edge phone. Did you have custom firmware on it? Was any actual OS installed on the phone, or just safestrap? Was it a non-USA phone? Just really curious/disappointed/perplexed as to why it wouldn't flash firmware for you.

Anyway, it was worth a shot. Sorry it didn't work for you. It's still a good app to keep, for possible future issues/bricks.
Hopefully we get the v7 files soon, even if someone has to pay < $20 for a copy. I know jrkruse has no problem creating a new version, once he gets the v7 files. At least I assume so, since he's done it in his various safestrap threads. He's been pretty awesome about it, over the past 1-2yrs that I've been using his threads (I read through all the comments, even in other samsung 7 & 8 line phones.)
Yea. I've heard others say it works too.
I was trying to root just like the other fellar. I got a dm verity error. i Can literally boot only one system on pie. But my issue is corrupted cache I think. I can't flash any csc. And I can't put any sim in it. But I got an idea with my original xfinity firmware.
It's not really a big deal for me. It's a spare phone. A junk one pretty much. Cracked screen kinda.
I've had to edl test point it back to life about 500 times. I lose download mode. I lose recovery. I've had this I've had that. Mines. Booting right now. Just can't insert a sim. Or the please reboot to apply changes popup. I reboot. Please reboot to apply changes. I reboot. And so on.

Attachments

• 15813398342466354638344493919420.jpg
    15813398342466354638344493919420.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

sleepysys

Jan 20, 2020
Told me not compatible

Yea. I've heard others say it works too.
I was trying to root just like the other fellar. I got a dm verity error. i Can literally boot only one system on pie. But my issue is corrupted cache I think. I can't flash any csc. And I can't put any sim in it. But I got an idea with my original xfinity firmware.
It's not really a big deal for me. It's a spare phone. A junk one pretty much. Cracked screen kinda.
I've had to edl test point it back to life about 500 times. I lose download mode. I lose recovery. I've had this I've had that. Mines. Booting right now. Just can't insert a sim. Or the please reboot to apply changes popup. I reboot. Please reboot to apply changes. I reboot. And so on.

I don't know if it'll make any difference, but I have one last idea or 2. I have maybe 25% faith either will work.

If you can both get into the OS with flashing certain files, of mixed versions as you can't flash CSC. To check which CSC is installed using the dialer codes (I can look up from the semi-extensive list I made), then flash the other 3 to match that CSC. Once they all match, to then try the Verizon app again. I know the phone it's won't install OTA updates if you have mismatched files (I've done that on purpose to prevent upgrades). But, I think the VZN app could really care less what's actually installed on the device, as I've used it after getting that BSOD telling me that I modified it, and needed to bring it to a carrier and pay them to recover the phone.

My 2nd grasping for straws idea, is if you believe the cache is corrupted. To extract the cache.img from the full stock firmware version you flashed above, and flash that within safestrap, if you still have access to it (or if you think it works, to have one of us upload our cache via safestrap from the same version, if it's compatible like that??) . That being said, I don't have any experience with ever having needed to effectively flash it.

That being said, both of you seem to have a more extensive knowledge than me. Especially if one/both of you are jumping the mobo itself for the EDL test points, among other things you've tried. So, I'm sure you either already tried both of those, or didn't think they would work at all. I just figured brainstorming couldn't hurt. I've pulled many hail mary's from ideas I had zero faith in, and only proceeded out of desperation.

Also @TheMadScientist: I don't know if the deal is still active, or if it's still worth it on such an old phone, but a couple weeks ago Sprint started a $49 screen replacement deal, regardless of if you were a customer. I can check the deal thread if interested. If it was an S8+/Note 8, S9, S10, It would definitely be worth it. I didn't bother on any of the S7 edges I have with broken screens (I purposely purchased them for $38-$55 over the past couple years, just to use as a wifi hotspot). Nor did I do it on my S8, since it's an old phone w/ some cracks in spots I don't touch regularly, and in the corners that I colorless/clear epoxied well...with no OLED damage at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMadScientist

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
I don't know if it'll make any difference, but I have one last idea or 2. I have maybe 25% faith either will work.

If you can both get into the OS with flashing certain files, of mixed versions as you can't flash CSC. To check which CSC is installed using the dialer codes (I can look up from the semi-extensive list I made), then flash the other 3 to match that CSC. Once they all match, to then try the Verizon app again. I know the phone it's won't install OTA updates if you have mismatched files (I've done that on purpose to prevent upgrades). But, I think the VZN app could really care less what's actually installed on the device, as I've used it after getting that BSOD telling me that I modified it, and needed to bring it to a carrier and pay them to recover the phone.

My 2nd grasping for straws idea, is if you believe the cache is corrupted. To extract the cache.img from the full stock firmware version you flashed above, and flash that within safestrap, if you still have access to it (or if you think it works, to have one of us upload our cache via safestrap from the same version, if it's compatible like that??) . That being said, I don't have any experience with ever having needed to effectively flash it.

That being said, both of you seem to have a more extensive knowledge than me. Especially if one/both of you are jumping the mobo itself for the EDL test points, among other things you've tried. So, I'm sure you either already tried both of those, or didn't think they would work at all. I just figured brainstorming couldn't hurt. I've pulled many hail mary's from ideas I had zero faith in, and only proceeded out of desperation.

Also @TheMadScientist: I don't know if the deal is still active, or if it's still worth it on such an old phone, but a couple weeks ago Sprint started a $49 screen replacement deal, regardless of if you were a customer. I can check the deal thread if interested. If it was an S8+/Note 8, S9, S10, It would definitely be worth it. I didn't bother on any of the S7 edges I have with broken screens (I purposely purchased them for $38-$55 over the past couple years, just to use as a wifi hotspot). Nor did I do it on my S8, since it's an old phone w/ some cracks in spots I don't touch regularly, and in the corners that I colorless/clear epoxied well...with no OLED damage at all.
The sprint deal I think ended yesterday.
I might buy see if I can buy the edl 7 files I updated mine today to bit 7. Xfinity 100% stick still the same I'm not hard bricked but it will be. Like I said mines just a junker sitting there. I quit trying to modify my good one as it's my daily for now. About time to upgrade. Had mine for 2 + years now. New battery perfect time to sell it

sleepysys

Jan 20, 2020
I don't know. I thought one said they was for like 20 bucks

I was using that as a universal price, since that's what people say they normally cost, in various threads. You should check the Note 8 (N950) thread, and possibly the S8+ (G955) threads, as someone said they could get the files. The reply chain in that thread went as far as seeing how if jrkruse would create it, and he said yes. Along with all the details in between.

According to the what they said in that thread, the V7 EDL files were available for that device, so I assumed the S8 would also. I had googled it earlier, but never clicked the links. Clicking links now, seems mainly to be just fake sites (ie. just text dump, spa sites with text dumps, etc. Sorry about the ambiguity with my earlier comment about it. I assumed it was available. Maybe you can have better luck w/ the keywords you google, or ask that guy from the other thread, with friends at samsung.

So far I found a site with bit 7 combo file for $4, but haven't found EDL yet (unless EDL is in the combo files. I have minimal knowledge of the technical side of combo files)

Last edited:

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
I was using that as a universal price, since that's what people say they normally cost, in various threads. You should check the Note 8 (N950) thread, and possibly the S8+ (G955) threads, as someone said they could get the files. The reply chain in that thread went as far as seeing how if jrkruse would create it, and he said yes. Along with all the details in between.

According to the what they said in that thread, the V7 EDL files were available for that device, so I assumed the S8 would also. I had googled it earlier, but never clicked the links. Clicking links now, seems mainly to be just fake sites (ie. just text dump, spa sites with text dumps, etc. Sorry about the ambiguity with my earlier comment about it. I assumed it was available. Maybe you can have better luck w/ the keywords you google, or ask that guy from the other thread, with friends at samsung.

So far I found a site with bit 7 combo file for $4, but haven't found EDL yet (unless EDL is in the combo files. I have minimal knowledge of the technical side of combo files)

I will look after while. I posted up a bit 7 combo file. I got ahold of that one. Half the battle. ??? I got a few reputable sources that can get edl files and junk I'll ask em all again. I don't mind paying for em unless they are like 100s of bucks. ??? but if they are like 10 to 30 bucks I'll most def throw down. I saw you post it and was like screw it I'm down. But we will see. No probs man. We will find it eventually. We always do. Normally about the time next bit comes out is when the one previous is found or released

sleepysys

Jan 20, 2020
I will look after while. I posted up a bit 7 combo file. I got ahold of that one. Half the battle. I got a few reputable sources that can get edl files and junk I'll ask em all again. I don't mind paying for em unless they are like 100s of bucks. but if they are like 10 to 30 bucks I'll most def throw down. I saw you post it and was like screw it I'm down. But we will see. No probs man. We will find it eventually. We always do. Normally about the time next bit comes out is when the one previous is found or released

I assumed the EDL wasn't part of the combo files, but after not having luck in my first quick attempt, it got me questioning myself.

I'll google EDL files when I have free time tonight. Hopefully I'll have some luck w/ better search terms. If both our methods fail, you could always reach out to the guy in the other thread...the people on this site always seem to help each other out, which is amazing. The combo files are a joke to find online, if only EDL was that easy

sleepysys

Jan 20, 2020
there is a lot of conflicting information in your post. Can you use this method to flash lineageOS on the SMG950W version?

Where is it conflicting about lineageOS or the W?
Did you use the search function?

Please quote these posts, and I'll be more than happy to help you answer it

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
there is a lot of conflicting information in your post. Can you use this method to flash lineageOS on the SMG950W version?

As stated. No. Lineage is a custom rom. which requires unlocked boot loader. The g950 U U1 and W are all of the same model. Which are unable to unlock bootloader. You can root depending on which bootloader you are currently on. In build info. 5th digit from far end is build revision. 1 through 6 are currently rootable. 7 may be in the future but right now it is not.

Reactions: sleepysys

sleepysys

Jan 20, 2020
As stated. No. Lineage is a custom rom. which requires unlocked boot loader. The g950 U U1 and W are all of the same model. Which are unable to unlock bootloader. You can root depending on which bootloader you are currently on. In build info. 5th digit from far end is build revision. 1 through 6 are currently rootable. 7 may be in the future but right now it is not.

Bah! I wanted to see this supposed conflicting info. Or to at least educate about the search button.

The thread was full of so many posts saying it's impossible. Even sarcastic jokes pretending to ask if it was possible [often w/ emoji's], as it was approaching the equivalent of meme status. Since no one ever searched or read past replies.

---------- Post added at 04:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 AM ----------

Way too funny! This thread is comical. The next question will be about flashing lineage roms lol

Maybe banny21 was trying to make a joke?

Last edited:

evilarceus

Apr 19, 2015
Will the "Make Your Own System Image" part work with a bootloader version 7 firmware? Just wondering, since all of these Samsung firmware sites are a pain in the ass to download from and SamFirm only gets the latest firmware :/

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
Will the "Make Your Own System Image" part work with a bootloader version 7 firmware? Just wondering, since all of these Samsung firmware sites are a pain in the ass to download from and SamFirm only gets the latest firmware :/

As for what? The make your own system img I believe is a 7.0 system. As of right now there is not root on a bit 7 firmware. So you couldn't even flash the build your own. If we had the needed files for root. yea it would

evilarceus

Apr 19, 2015
As for what? The make your own system img I believe is a 7.0 system. As of right now there is not root on a bit 7 firmware. So you couldn't even flash the build your own. If we had the needed files for root. yea it would

Meant for this:

Make Your Own System Image
Download
G_950_PIE_ROM_CREATE.zip Will add Safestrap on OMC CSC files to system image. Do not try and flash the nougat zip with root on Pie system.img it will not work as you cannot root pie
G_950_NOUGAT_ROM_CREATE.zip Will add Safestrap, Flashfire, Root, Busybox and OMC CSC files to system image

1. Download firmware extract the system.img.ext4 from the AP file .If system image is in system.img.ext.lz4 format you will need
to extract image from lz4. You can google how to do this
2. Rename system.img.ext4 to system.img and copy to phone
3. Reboot to safestrap and flash system.img
4. Flash Rom Create zip to match your system
5. Reboot to download flash proper bootloaders to match your rom. You may need to make your own

Could I use a system.img.ext4 from a firmware with bootloader version 7 (which I assume is what you mean by "bit 7") in these steps, and install it on an S8 installed with Safestrap? Just asking since I don't know if there would any incompatibilities due the bootloader version mismatch.

(Basically: will downloading G950USQS7DTA3 from SamFirm, extracting and flashing system.img.ext4, and then flashing G_950_PIE_ROM_CREATE.zip work?)

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
Meant for this:

Could I use a system.img.ext4 from a firmware with bootloader version 7 (which I assume is what you mean by "bit 7") in these steps, and install it on an S8 installed with Safestrap? Just asking since I don't know if there would any incompatibilities due the bootloader version mismatch.

(Basically: will downloading G950USQS7DTA3 from SamFirm, extracting and flashing system.img.ext4, and then flashing G_950_PIE_ROM_CREATE.zip work?)

Yea. The systems are not incremental like the bootloader is. Should work just fine.

sleepysys

Jan 20, 2020

1st Question, do you already have safestrap installed?
If not, the safestrap install process hasn't been created for BL7 yet, due to a lack of v7 EDL files.
If you already have safestrap installed, then proceed.

Yea. The systems are not incremental like the bootloader is. Should work just fine.

I thought the rom creation tool didn't work on newer versions?
When I failed at creating my own bit 6 U1 system.img using this method, jrkruse had said it didn't work on BL6. I had assumed that he meant it only worked until v5 (or possibly prior)

For that, I was instructed to use SuperR's Kitchen to create my own system.img using the stock firmware. Something I still had issues with, and will need to revisit when I have time.

Since v6 bootloaders you have to create a system image using super r kitchen or some equivalent of making system images and when you size it you have to size it off of the system folder size and not the stock image size. You also must make system image raw not sparse

Last edited:

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
1st Question, do you already have safestrap installed?
If not, the safestrap install process hasn't been created for BL7 yet, due to a lack of v7 EDL files.
If you already have safestrap installed, then proceed.

I thought the rom creation tool didn't work on newer versions?
When I failed at creating my own bit 6 U1 system.img using this method, jrkruse had said it didn't work on BL6. I had assumed that he meant it only worked until v5 (or possibly prior)

For that, I was instructed to use SuperR's Kitchen to create my own system.img using the stock firmware. Something I still had issues with, and will need to revisit when I have time.

**** that's right. I never used it. I always did my own system img then added root and junk after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Root][SM-G950U/U1][SM-G950W][Snapdragon][V5_Bootloader][EDL_Method][Safestrap]

Rooted Nougat Rom​
    This is last nougat rom made for S8 it is prerooted with flashfire and safestrap preinstalled. It has CSC stuff for all carriers added. Its debloated slightly with knox removed. Some stuff may not work but im not sure as I cannot test but this stuff may include fingerprint and or face recognition. If stuff doesnt work it probably related to using pie modems and non-hlos on a nougat rom which you have no choice.​

Downloads
    Rooted_G95*USQS3BRB1.rar
    BL_G950_NOUGAT_V7.tar.7z
    Includes Fingerprint and Face Unlock fix for above nougat rom. Just flash in BL slot in odin after everything else
    Safestrap-4.10-B03-DREAMQLTE-PIE.zip Will boot straight to safestrap only for pie roms
    Safestrap-4.10-B03-DREAMQLTE-NOUGAT.zip Will Give you the safestrap splash screen on boot

Directions
    Safestrap Method
    1. Extract system.img from the Rooted_G95*USQS3BRB1.rar and copy to phone reboot to safestarp and flash system image reboot to download and flash BL_G950_NOUGAT_V7.tar.md5 in odin
    @jrkruse
    I followed you with s5. My hero
    However, I am a little slow, could you or anyone explain what does this do exactly?

Its just what the description says. Once the bootloaders were updated on S8 it lost the ability to flash modified system images in odin. There for loosing ability to gain root or use safestrap recovery. This method will get that ability back

Sent using some kind of device I modified
    Nice! You always seem to come up with some way to make things work.
    Congrats on the great work!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If I don’t find a way I ask you and then you usually do. I have alot of great people help me out along the way

[Root][SM-G950U/U1][Snapdragon][V5_Bootloader][EDL_Method][Safestrap]

Now I got through into SafeStrap recovery. I would want to flash nougat image since I want to root it, but which nougat image should I flash? I have G950U.

In therory the AP from partcyborgs room and the Rev 5 combo bootloader I believe.

Thats right you could extract the system.img.ext4 from partcyborg rom rename it to system.img copy to phone and flash as image in safestrap. You are on combo bootloader already so the rom should boot. You might have to wipe data