[DISCONTINUED][STABLE][7.1.2][31 December 2017] Slim 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

nhatanh181

Nov 1, 2016
The default camera app on my kindle 7 doesnt' work. Is it an existing problem?
Edited: I tried again with the 8.9" the back camera works but the front camera is too dark

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi all. When playing via Bluetooth. Music stuttered.
Any tweaks can fix this?
Bluetooth support is dicey on this device. Some ROMs are fine (especially Android 4.x based) while others experience connectivity and/or stability issues. Lots of variability with different attached devices too. Some report issues w/input devices and BT audio...others have no problem.

Might take a look a Lineage to see if it works better for you.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Flashed this pup along with GAaps nano and SuperSU w/o incident. ROM performs as expected given Android 7.1 roots; Slim fans will feel right at home. Hardware integration was largely uneventful: rotation (sometimes problematic on Amazon devices), WiFi, bluetooth, camera all worked with occational glitches consistent with most HDX ROMs (eg: some Bluetooth devices not recognized; WiFi not reconnecting after doze/sleep [toggling airplane mode fixes it]; stock camera app connection issues; etc).

Briefly explored kernel configs but didn't immediately detect any meaningful differences from 'stock'. SELinux is set to permissive. Device dozes/sleeps efficiently - a nice change over CM 12.1 that features a parasitic kernel drain (0.3-0.4%/hr) that can not be eliminated.

That said, I will be sticking with LP/MM based ROMs for Xposed support. I would love to see a MM based Slim build for this device as LOS 13.x is unusable on many WiFi only devices (including HDX) due to long standing glitch with faux SIM card detection dating back to CM 13.

Edit: Appears this ROM also suffers from the "Select SIM Card" problem while attempting to use a WiFi enabled messaging app. Same as CM/LOS 13 (but not CM 12.1 or any of the KitKat based custom ROMs).

@ggow - with the arrival of 'official' Xposed Framework for Android 7.x I decided to give this ROM another whirl given its AOSP roots. However, I was dubious as previous testing (see above) suggested the "Select SIM Card" glitch from CM/Lineage/RR had somehow crossed over to Slim builds. To my absolute delight this problem did not resurface! I can only attribute this to one of two low probability differences:

- using latest 20170810 build
- performed a full wipe of device (including internal storage) before flashing Slim

Whatever happened last time is largely irrelevant. Still a bit of a head scratcher ...

I am totally stoked that migration to an Android 7.x based ROM is finally possible! Yes, my situation was rather unique (who uses messaging/calling apps on a WiFi only tablet?) but I wanted to reach out with my sincere appreciation for building this AOSP based ROM as an alternative to Lineage which is a fine choice for most and my 'goto' ROM in the absence of pure AOSP. I hope can find the the cycles to provide occasional updates but fully understand if that is out-of-scope for now.

Thanks again!

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
@ggow - with the arrival of 'official' Xposed Framework for Android 7.x I decided to give this ROM another whirl given its AOSP roots. However, I was dubious as previous testing (see above) suggested the "Select SIM Card" glitch from CM/Lineage/RR had somehow crossed over to Slim builds. To my absolute delight this problem did not resurface! I can only attribute this to one of two low probability differences:

- performed a full wipe of device (including internal storage) before flashing Slim

Whatever happened last time is largely irrelevant. Still a bit of a head scratcher ...

I am totally stoked that migration to an Android 7.x based ROM is finally possible! Yes, my situation was rather unique (who uses messaging/calling apps on a WiFi only tablet?) but I wanted to reach out with my sincere appreciation for building this AOSP based ROM as an alternative to Lineage which is a fine choice for most and my 'goto' ROM in the absence of pure AOSP. I hope can find the the cycles to provide occasional updates but fully understand if that is out-of-scope for now.

Thanks again!

Glad the migration worked out, as before on previous versions of the ROM, it looks like Slimroms have stopped updating Slim7 in order to work on Slim8.

I may spin up a nougat aosp rom if I can find a good base.

Reactions: davidk27 and DB126

Codemancjackson

Oct 18, 2017
I think I am interested in trying this Rom but I've never done it before and its my wife's tablet so I don't want to brick it. can anyone link me a step by step page preferably with the links ill need to get this installed?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I think I am interested in trying this Rom but I've never done it before and its my wife's tablet so I don't want to brick it. can anyone link me a step by step page preferably with the links ill need to get this installed?
If the device is still running FireOS (as delivered from Amazon) there is a fair bit of prepatory work required in advance of installing a custom ROM. It's not a step-by-step process for those unfamiliar with rooting, flashing, ADB, fastboot, etc. Bricking is a real possibility if errors are made. Think it over before diving in.

Codemancjackson

Oct 18, 2017
If the device is still running FireOS (as delivered from Amazon) there is a fair bit of prepatory work required in advance of installing a custom ROM. It's not a step-by-step process for those unfamiliar with rooting, flashing, ADB, fastboot, etc. Bricking is a real possibility if errors are made. Think it over before diving in.
I'm very technologically savvy but have never needed to do anything with tablets or phones. I've built pcs and installed various OS on them but since it's not mine it's best to go off of a proven method than searching for one that may not be. Since this isn't a pc and not mine I should tread with caution. I have a good idea of how this all works but not certain. My wife's just Fed up with her hdx 7 no longer getting updated even though it's still a very powerful tablet so I thought I'd try this before she goes buying a new one.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I'm very technologically savvy but have never needed to do anything with tablets or phones. I've built pcs and installed various OS on them but since it's not mine it's best to go off of a proven method than searching for one that may not be. Since this isn't a pc and not mine I should tread with caution. I have a good idea of how this all works but not certain. My wife's just Fed up with her hdx 7 no longer getting updated even though it's still a very powerful tablet so I thought I'd try this before she goes buying a new one.
Take a peek at this thread (OP in particular) which links here which is the primary bootloader unlock thread. You will need to root first which is typically accomplished via KingRoot although other methods exist. Note KingRoot is borderline malware; assume your device is compromised from the first execution of KingRoot until a custom ROM is installed (which wipes out KingRoot remnants). Also pay attention to this post which score drivers that have consistently worked with a variety of Windows platforms (Win XP -> 10). Ask questions as they arise; better to be sure than sorry. However, please post questions in one of the above threads as such discussion is not appropriate in this thread.

Suggestion: After rooting your device only execute Step #2 (skip #1 and #3) in the bootloader unlock procedure. Step #3 is problematic for many individuals; better to complete and validate step #2 before going any further.

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014

Thanks again!

FYI:
I have released a Aosp Nougat ROM in the original development section.

bigboolean

Mar 13, 2014
I'll definitely try this ROM later today, hey has anyone used Helium Backup with this? I'm asking because I can't use the backup function even though SuperSU allows root permissions on my current Marshmallow ROM.

Edit: I'm liking this ROM, and I love that sexy boot screen!

Last edited:

kindle1337

Nov 27, 2016
I flashed this onto my THOR today. Everything runs very smoothly, I just have one issue: there is no sound without headphones (with headphones it works fine, but there isn't any sound coming without them)

Anyone familiar with this problem and a solution for me?

Also, the camera doesn't work (it's showing an error message)

I don't care too much about the error, but sound without headphones is certainly a requirement for me

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I flashed this onto my THOR today. Everything runs very smoothly, I just have one issue: there is no sound without headphones (with headphones it works fine, but there isn't any sound coming without them)

Anyone familiar with this problem and a solution for me?

Also, the camera doesn't work (it's showing an error message)

I don't care too much about the error, but sound without headphones is certainly a requirement for me
I didn't encounter the sound issue during my brief time with this ROM. As for the camera simply grab the app of your choosing from the Play Store.

calden74

Sep 24, 2011
Wifi

This is driving me completely nuts, crazy, etc. It doesn't matter which ROM I try, the WiFi simply will not stay connected. It connects, sure, however it than drops, connects again, than drops and so on and so fourth. I beg you kind people, please help me. It took me 3 days to find a Google Apps package that would work, as every single ROM I tried refused to flash the standard GAPPS packages. I finally figured out how to unlock my boot-loader only to run into a brick wall of issues. A little background, I used the "aboot" trick to finally unlock the boot-loader, before that, I have been trying for the last 3 years, before that it simply wouldn't unlock. So please understand how exited I was on Thursday to finally unlock my kindle HDX 7", only to find out that ever single Android 7.1 ROM I would install, well, would have WiFi issues.

I will welcome any help but help I do desperately need. I'm currently using Slim 7.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
This is driving me completely nuts, crazy, etc. It doesn't matter which ROM I try, the WiFi simply will not stay connected. It connects, sure, however it than drops, connects again, than drops and so on and so fourth. I beg you kind people, please help me. It took me 3 days to find a Google Apps package that would work, as every single ROM I tried refused to flash the standard GAPPS packages. I finally figured out how to unlock my boot-loader only to run into a brick wall of issues. A little background, I used the "aboot" trick to finally unlock the boot-loader, before that, I have been trying for the last 3 years, before that it simply wouldn't unlock. So please understand how exited I was on Thursday to finally unlock my kindle HDX 7", only to find out that ever single Android 7.1 ROM I would install, well, would have WiFi issues.

I will welcome any help but help I do desperately need. I'm currently using Slim 7.
Appreciate the frustration. That said, everything you experienced over the past three years is irrelevant to the current WiFi issue.

Spontaneous WiFi disconnects on 3rd gen HDX devices rocking custom ROMs are typically the result of an AP broadcasting simultaneously on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. Usually it is the AP the device is currently connected to but can also result from a nearby AP broadcasting on both bands. This appears to be a kernel flaw which is why it is present on all custom ROMs (curious why FireOS seems unaffected).

The only known work around is to disable the 5 GHz transmission at its source or move to a different location. Killing the 2.4 GHz radio might work but HDX devices seems to like the lower band better. Not to mention potential impacts on older devices that do not support 5 GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http%3A%2F%2Fop.slimroms.net%2Fslimop%2Fslim7opnew.png

SlimROM is a custom android operating system. The main goal is to offer users a slimmed down but still feature rich alternative to other android operating systems.
    The entire SlimTeam works together to bring you this tailor-made beauty straight from Android Open Source Project (AOSP) source code.
    All of the sources can be publicly viewed through GitHub and Gerrit.