• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[DISCONTINUED] [STABLE] Lineage-11.0 for Safestrap v4 [21 Dec 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I am not sure is this battery issue?
I have not used the kindle for 6 hours and battery was used up to 12%
Oi - this has been discussed soooooo many times! Doesn't anyone read anymore? Or just post and wait for the answer to be delivered on a spoon.

You installed CM11 in a secondary slot. Reinstall it in the stock slot and delete any/all secondary slots. Safestrap v4 compatible roms should only be installed in the stock slot; secondary slots should not be used.

Reactions: XtheWiz

Tellllly

Sep 19, 2015
Ok guys I am really new to this and i don't wanna do something wrong.
I have the Kindle Fire HDX7" 3. Generation running OS 4.5.5.1
1. So I Root with Kingroot and disable OTA
2. Install Safestrap and follow your instructions?
And what is Gapps and SuperSu do i need it?
So after all i will have my device running only CM11 but no more stock amazon?
What about Google Play Store can i download it after installing CM11 and play like online games and so on? :confused:
Thanks for your help :eek:

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Ok guys I am really new to this and i don't wanna do something wrong.
I have the Kindle Fire HDX7" 3. Generation running OS 4.5.5.1
1. So I Root with Kingroot and disable OTA
2. Install Safestrap and follow your instructions?
And what is Gapps and SuperSu do i need it?
So after all i will have my device running only CM11 but no more stock amazon?
What about Google Play Store can i download it after installing CM11 and play like online games and so on? :confused:
Thanks for your help :eek:
Please don't cross post in multiple threads (although not identical covered similar material). Keep reading; most of your questions have been answered in previous posts. First few posts in custom rom threads typically contain links to recommended packages.

_Alex_

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 21, 2005
San Jose, CA
For those that are bootloader unlocked, have you ever noticed the advanced reboot option, reboot to recovery just hangs? I've noticed this is only a problem with CM11 and not any other ROM by ggow (e.g.. CM13)...

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 using Tapatalk

jeryll

Dec 23, 2010
Realme GT
For those that are bootloader unlocked, have you ever noticed the advanced reboot option, reboot to recovery just hangs? I've noticed this is only a problem with CM11 and not any other ROM by ggow (e.g.. CM13)...

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 using Tapatalk

Yes, I have Apollo with unlocked BL and can confirm this... currently using for reboots small utility called SimpleReboot from Playstore, which works flawlessly...

Likesoft

Apr 5, 2015
I think there's memory leaking on CM11.
I have an Apollo 64GB with LTE model. and I'm using 3G connection and Wi-Fi both.
I've spotted this memory problem more than 3 month.

Just right after booting, my Apollo has about 1.1GB of free memory(Settings-Apps-Runnings).
But Now I'm using it about 60 hours without rebooting, It has only 550~600MB of free memory.
I've spotted 290MB of free memory after using my apollo without rebooting about 100 hours(infact, 130 hours or more).
When it has only 290MB of free memory, I've experienced reloading launcher repeatedly, not working back button on nav bar on Chrome browser or something.

Sometimes it reboots by itself(not fully. I can see only CM logo when it reboots by itself.), I think the reason of rebooting is memory leaking.

My apollo is 64GB with LTE. I'm using both of 3G connection and Wi-Fi, I've changed build.prop setting of "ro.build.tags=" from test-keys to release-keys, I'm using Kennel Auditor app to change cpu governor from performance to ondemand, enable MPdicision, and some energy saving options.

(I have no idea if there's same problem on Amazon's FireOS. I have very little time of using FireOS.)

I'm sorry if this is well-known problem. I wasn't able to read all replies of this thread.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I think there's memory leaking on CM11.
I have an Apollo 64GB with LTE model. and I'm using 3G connection and Wi-Fi both.
I've spotted this memory problem more than 3 month.

Just right after booting, my Apollo has about 1.1GB of free memory(Settings-Apps-Runnings).
But Now I'm using it about 60 hours without rebooting, It has only 550~600MB of free memory.
I've spotted 290MB of free memory after using my apollo without rebooting about 100 hours(infact, 130 hours or more).
When it has only 290MB of free memory, I've experienced reloading launcher repeatedly, not working back button on nav bar on Chrome browser or something.

Sometimes it reboots by itself(not fully. I can see only CM logo when it reboots by itself.), I think the reason of rebooting is memory leaking.

My apollo is 64GB with LTE. I'm using both of 3G connection and Wi-Fi, I've changed build.prop setting of "ro.build.tags=" from test-keys to release-keys, I'm using Kennel Auditor app to change cpu governor from performance to ondemand, enable MPdicision, and some energy saving options.

(I have no idea if there's same problem on Amazon's FireOS. I have very little time of using FireOS.)

I'm sorry if this is well-known problem. I wasn't able to read all replies of this thread.

Possibly - but unlikely given the number of CM11 installs on HDX devices and the lack of similar observations. As you probably know Android has many receivers which can quietly allow apps to launch in the background on various events. Android itself also caches much of its code over time to improve performance. Unlike older operating systems free memory is a poor indicator of overall system health. Android is quick to swap out older items if the foreground application needs more resources. 75-80% memory utilization reflects an appropriate use of resources; 'free' memory does you no good.

Storage capacity, governor and scheduler tweaks, hotplug algorithms, etc. have little to do with memory performance (KSM might; don't recall if this is available on CM/HDX). You need to expand your repertoire of tools (eg: 'process stats' under developer options; third party apps, etc.) to focus on running processes and services to identify the true culprits. Possible one or more may be OS related suggesting a memory leak; seems doubtful. A potential wild card is LTE as not many Kindles devices are configured this way so not many data points to draw on. Something to look at.

Likesoft

Apr 5, 2015
[/HIDE]
Possibly - but unlikely given the number of CM11 installs on HDX devices and the lack of similar observations. As you probably know Android has many receivers which can quietly allow apps to launch in the background on various events. Android itself also caches much of its code over time to improve performance. Unlike older operating systems free memory is a poor indicator of overall system health. Android is quick to swap out older items if the foreground application needs more resources. 75-80% memory utilization reflects an appropriate use of resources; 'free' memory does you no good.

Storage capacity, governor and scheduler tweaks, hotplug algorithms, etc. have little to do with memory performance (KSM might; don't recall if this is available on CM/HDX). You need to expand your repertoire of tools (eg: 'process stats' under developer options; third party apps, etc.) to focus on running processes and services to identify the true culprits. Possible one or more may be OS related suggesting a memory leak; seems doubtful. A potential wild card is LTE as not many Kindles devices are configured this way so not many data points to draw on. Something to look at.

Yes, I know what you mean about android memory using policy. but I think 290MB of free memory is weird and when I've got that situation, I clearly surffered from lack of performance.
Another weird thing is, free memory is generally recovered just after killing apps by app killer. but there's no recover for me. the only way is rebooting.

I've found some way to check if there's memory leak, and I did "dumpsys meminfo" from terminal.
This is the result of "dumpsys meminfo" after 73 hours running without rebooting.
Total RAM: 1761980 kB
Free RAM: 557676 kB
Used RAM: 680958 kB
Lost RAM: 523346 kB

I think it's abnormal that the Lost RAM is more than 500MB. but I have no idea how to find the reason of occuring the "Lost RAM".

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Yes, I know what you mean about android memory using policy. but I think 290MB of free memory is weird and when I've got that situation, I clearly surffered from lack of performance.
Another weird thing is, free memory is generally recovered just after killing apps by app killer. but there's no recover for me. the only way is rebooting.

I've found some way to check if there's memory leak, and I did "dumpsys meminfo" from terminal.
This is the result of "dumpsys meminfo" after 73 hours running without rebooting.
Total RAM: 1761980 kB
Free RAM: 557676 kB
Used RAM: 680958 kB
Lost RAM: 523346 kB

I think it's abnormal that the Lost RAM is more than 500MB. but I have no idea how to find the reason of occuring the "Lost RAM".
Agreed. There are a few posts referencing large blocks of "Lost RAM" from CM11 users on various devices. But no more than from stock users. So it could be CM, KitKat or just 'noise'. Perhaps the best way to isolate is backup your current config (TWRP or SafeStrap), clean flash CM11 sans GAaps/apps and monitor over 24-48 hours. If things seem stable begin adding apps/services until the culprit is found. Could also do the same thing with a different rom (eg: Nexus v4). Or just reboot daily - PiTA but not especially time consuming.

CM11 is getting long in the tooth; I don't think the HDX maintainer will spend a lot of time debugging unless there is a clear smoking gun. Hopefully CM12.1 will become available in the coming months for those with locked bootloaders (via Safestrap or FlashFire). CM13 is available today for those with unlocked devices.

Reactions: EncryptedCurse

W99DEY

Jun 21, 2009
CM11 seems pretty stable for me. Only have to recharge every 4 days or so, reading a lot of ebooks

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

saltanar

Nov 26, 2008
I have a problem with Google play books, I can't import many .epub books on it. Do you know if there is a way to fix this?

saltanar

Nov 26, 2008
I use play books on fire 2015 with cyanogen mod 12.1 without problems. For now I use moon+ reader with this tablet.

M-A-X

Sep 29, 2011
Works like a charm. Installed with TWRP 3.0.0 on Thor with unlocked bootloader and i used 'pico' gapps

Gesendet von meinem Kindle Fire HDX 7 mit Tapatalk

bbert

Feb 18, 2015
I installed cm 11 on my device with unlocked bootloader and TWRP. It runs comfortable, fast and with less battery drain. All my apps are running fine. Only Amazon Prime Video doesn't show pictures and Titanium Backup cannot save backups. Changing folder doesn't help. But Easy Backup works well.
For Amazon Video not showing pictures, do you plan to change build.prop (mentioned a page ago) for a forthcoming update?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I installed cm 11 on my device with unlocked bootloader and TWRP. It runs comfortable, fast and with less battery drain. All my apps are running fine. Only Amazon Prime Video doesn't show pictures and Titanium Backup cannot save backups. Changing folder doesn't help. But Easy Backup works well.
For Amazon Video not showing pictures, do you plan to change build.prop (mentioned a page ago) for a forthcoming update?
- Prime Video can be enabled by installing latest Underground app then following instructions when video playback is selected.
- I do not favor a default identity change in build.prop. Device is what it is, not a Nexus or some other phone/tablet. Individual users can make changes if they wish.
- Most compatibility issues with the Play Store can be addressed via sideloading or Market Helper.

bbert

Feb 18, 2015
- Prime Video can be enabled by installing latest Underground app then following instructions when video playback is selected.
- I do not favor a default identity change in build.prop. Device is what it is, not a Nexus or some other phone/tablet. Individual users can make changes if they wish.
- Most compatibility issues with the Play Store can be addressed via sideloading or Market Helper.

Yes, I understand.
Prime Video streaming is working with a normal install, only the preview pictures don't show.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Yes, I understand.
Prime Video streaming is working with a normal install, only the preview pictures don't show.
Yep - same issue on multiple devices w/custom roms. Kinda silly Amazon (content providers) impose such restrictions - intentionally or not.

Mr.Nik

Mar 10, 2007
Novosibirsk
To my regret, I have not got the correct operation of LTE on my device.
modem version in the settings indicates true!
APN profile appears and works correctly when installing the SIM card into the device. After a few minutes, APN settings and fading respectively communicate with the operator, too. If the SIM card distort everything is repeated. Work with intrnet no opportunity.
Screenshots attached.
Sorry for my English, I use Google translator.
Ready to provide any logs to solve the problem.
Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-14-14-43-05.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-14-14-43-05.png
    172.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Screenshot_2016-03-14-14-44-41.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-14-14-44-41.png
    71 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_2016-03-14-16-05-04.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-14-16-05-04.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 142
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2880px-Lineage_OS_logo.svg.png

Code:
    [COLOR="gray"]
    /*
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
     * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
     * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
     * in the products you find here before flashing it!
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
     */
    [/COLOR]
    General Information
    - This ROM is for all variants of the 3rd generation Kindle HDX tablets.
    - This is primarily for users of Safestrap 4.0.1, however
    - This will also work on devices with TWRP however you must also unlock your bootloader.

What's working
    - Everything including LTE and SMS
    - Phone calls are not working but not sure if they can or not.

Bug Reports
    - Please report bugs here.

Fresh Installation
    - From Safestrap, go into Wipe Menu and Swipe to perform a factory reset.
    - Flash the ROM File
    - Flash any ARM, 4.4 version of Open Gapps you want
    - Flash SuperSU 2.4.6
    - Reboot
    - Enjoy!

Upgrading to a new version
    - Flash the ROM
    - Flash Gapps
    - Flash SuperSU 2.4.6
    - Reboot
    - Enjoy!

Downloads
    - LineageOS Builds for Thor
    - LineageOS Builds for Apollo
    - Open Gapps
    - SuperSU 2.4.6

Source Code
    - Kernel Source: Kindle HDX stock kernel, build number 1314.4.5.5.3

XDA:DevDB Information
    Lineage-11.0 for Safestrap v4, ROM for the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7" & 8.9"

Contributors
    ggow
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Stock base of .4.5.5.3 and Safestrap v4
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2015-06-28
    Last Updated 2019-10-02
    New Build is Up

- Dated 12 Dec 2015
    - Change log on Post #2
    New Build is Up

- Dated 2015-11-24
    - Fixed a bug in yesterday's build with reversed x-axis in motion sensor
    - Noticed it playing NFS Most Wanted.
    - The Safestrap series of ROM's all use the stock 4.5.2 kernel and stock ramdisk
    - There are differences in the way stock FireOS handles the hsic control of BT and WiFi
    - Because we can't modify the ramdisk on these ROM's I can't control the handling of BT and WiFi the way I should or want to
    - The Safestrap series of ROM's will probably always have this limitation on battery management as essentially it is a hack (an excellent one).
    - On a very positive note, because of Safestrap and the ROM's we can say bye bye to FireOS even on a locked bootloader
    - I did these ROM's for one reason, and that was to help out those with bootloaders that can't be unlocked.
    - Now potentially everyone can run a custom/hacked ROM.

Yes very good points. It's a miracle you managed to get safestrap and nexus rom working at all on the hdx so people should just be extremely happy with the results we have. I for one, am extremely happy with the hard work you have done and if all someone has to do to get the best out of this device is charge it a bit more often, then that is a Very small price to pay!
    Some points to consider

- The Safestrap series of ROM's all use the stock 4.5.2 kernel and stock ramdisk
    - There are differences in the way stock FireOS handles the hsic control of BT and WiFi
    - Because we can't modify the ramdisk on these ROM's I can't control the handling of BT and WiFi the way I should or want to
    - The Safestrap series of ROM's will probably always have this limitation on battery management as essentially it is a hack (an excellent one).
    - On a very positive note, because of Safestrap and the ROM's we can say bye bye to FireOS even on a locked bootloader
    - I did these ROM's for one reason, and that was to help out those with bootloaders that can't be unlocked.
    - Now potentially everyone can run a custom/hacked ROM.