• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[DISCONTINUED][STOCK][LOCKED] Safestrap v4.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I tried flash rollback 3.2.8 on stock rom slot 1 but stuck in grey logo and fastboot text on reset. Is there a way I can reboot back in safestrap? I got a backup and stock rom is on nexus 42
Nope - device is bricked. Lessons for others:
- everything happens in the stock slot; secondary slots are bad news
- rollbacks are dangerous - a leading cause of bricks if mishandled
- ask before deviating from posted guidance

Schdeefan

Jul 10, 2016
almost-bootloop?

Hi everybody,

I have lately picked up my apollo again to see if there has been any changes recently. I did research and decided to go for Safestrap v4 and FireNexus.

This is what I did:
- device was/is on 14.4.5.2
- got root and followed the "initial install" in the first post, which finished all with positive return code.

So far; so good. My problem is now, that I cant boot into Safestrap, even though it seems to be installed. I tried two ways:
1. if I use the button "Reboot to recovery" in the Safestrap- app inside FireOS the device reboots, I see the grey "kindle" background and this is where it stops. I waited up to 10 min, then eventually brought my device back to live by pressing the Powerbutton many times long.
2. if I do a cold reboot, I am shown the safestrap- bootscreen with the info "Safestrap Status: Disabled"
- if I choose "Continue" (or just wait) the booting will progress and FireOS is loaded
- if I choose "Recovery" the outcome is same as in 1.

I tried "adb logcat" what returned "waiting for device" (adb with same setup from inside FireOS works flawlessly)

I am almost sure this is something extremely simple and/or I just overlooked something, but I just don't see it :( Especially the "Disabled" makes me wonder...

Any help would be greatly apprechiated

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi everybody,

I have lately picked up my apollo again to see if there has been any changes recently. I did research and decided to go for Safestrap v4 and FireNexus.

This is what I did:
- device was/is on 14.4.5.2
- got root and followed the "initial install" in the first post, which finished all with positive return code.

So far; so good. My problem is now, that I cant boot into Safestrap, even though it seems to be installed. I tried two ways:
1. if I use the button "Reboot to recovery" in the Safestrap- app inside FireOS the device reboots, I see the grey "kindle" background and this is where it stops. I waited up to 10 min, then eventually brought my device back to live by pressing the Powerbutton many times long.
2. if I do a cold reboot, I am shown the safestrap- bootscreen with the info "Safestrap Status: Disabled"
- if I choose "Continue" (or just wait) the booting will progress and FireOS is loaded
- if I choose "Recovery" the outcome is same as in 1.

I tried "adb logcat" what returned "waiting for device" (adb with same setup from inside FireOS works flawlessly)

I am almost sure this is something extremely simple and/or I just overlooked something, but I just don't see it :( Especially the "Disabled" makes me wonder...

Any help would be greatly apprechiated
Disabled is expected as no work has been inside the recovery environment. Wondering if you inadvertently installed the Thor version of Safestrap. If you are confident of the version:
- uninstall, reboot, reinstall and test (probably won't help but risk free and easy to try)
- consider allowing your device to update to 4.5.5.1 which is rootable and supports the latest version of Fire Nexus (there are two variants)
- there have been a few instances where Safestrap recovery simply won't start; the above step should address the problem if your device falls into that category

Schdeefan

Jul 10, 2016
This was fast! Thanks!

I tried the reinstall- procedure first and it fixed it! Went right to safestrap as supposed. I used the same .apk from sdcard as before. It's the proper version for apollo.

I was going to go for the "KTU84Q" Version by ggow since it's newest and most active. I simply didn't read far enough back in the changelog yet, since safestrap wasn't even working yet. Thanks for the hint! I will do the upgrade through FireOS now.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
This was fast! Thanks!

I tried the reinstall- procedure first and it fixed it! Went right to safestrap as supposed. I used the same .apk from sdcard as before. It's the proper version for apollo.

I was going to go for the "KTU84Q" Version by ggow since it's newest and most active. I simply didn't read far enough back in the changelog yet, since safestrap wasn't even working yet. Thanks for the hint! I will do the upgrade through FireOS now.
Be sure to remove Safestrap before attempting to update FireOS. You'll also need to unblock OTA updates if needed.

spaghettibounce

Aug 21, 2016
*** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THINGS GO WRONG. ***

*** IF ANY OF THE INFORMATION ON THIS THREAD IS MISUSED IT CAN RESULT IN A BRICKED DEVICE ***

Introduction
- BEFORE PROCEEDING READ THROUGH CAREFULLY, IF THERE IS ANY DOUBT THEN ASK BEFORE PROCEEDING
- Safestrap provides TWRP like recovery capabilities for locked devices.
- This is based on the original work of Hashcode.
- This is for Apollo and Thor devices only.

Known Issues
- Secondary slots boot, but the WiFi module does not load
- Since the secondary slots work but have no WiFi, you will need to flash Nexus v4 to the stock slot for now

Compatible ROMS
- HDX Nexus ROM v4
- CM-11
- Fire Nexus ROM

Prerequisites for Installation
- You must be on FireOS stock firmware 4.5.2, 4.5.3, 4.5.4, 4.5.5 or 4.5.5.1 <- Please confirm this before proceeding <-
- You must have root access

Installation
- Install the app
- Grant root access if needed
- Read user agreement and accept to proceed
- Then click install recovery
- When recovery is installed click reboot to recovery
- You should eventually end up in safestrap recovery.

Download
*** Please do NOT create any mirrors ***
- Safestrap for THOR
- Safestrap for APOLLO

Thanks to my Testers
- Davey126
- kudoz83
- lekofraggle
- zamtang
- paul26rem

XDA:DevDB Information
Safestrap KK, Device Specific App for the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7" & 8.9"

Contributors
ggow

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 4.0.1
Stable Release Date: 2015-06-18

Created 2015-06-18
Last Updated 2016-02-27

Crap! I accidentally flashed a ROM without factory resetting, and now I think it's stuck in a bootloop (the android animation is playing forever) how do I get back into the recovery??

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Crap! I accidentally flashed a ROM without factory resetting, and now I think it's stuck in a bootloop (the android animation is playing forever) how do I get back into the recovery??
- long press power button to shut down
- restart
- Safestrap splash screen should pop up with option to enter recovery

Edit: please don't quote OP when posting.

mobgateway

Oct 18, 2015
Unable to mount internal storage

I'm using safestrap 4.0.1 on HDX thor.
When I boot into recovery and tried to flash the latest CM11 firware.
But in the "Mount" --- "Select Partions to Mount" section I could only click "Cache" and "System". I tried to click "Internal Storage" and "Date" but it's not responding.

When I tried to flash the new firmware, it gives error messsage.

E: Unable to mount '/cache'
E: Unable to mount '/data'
E: Unable to mount '/system'
E: Unable to mount '/devlog'
E: Unable to mount '/emmc'
E: Unable to mount internal storage

It seems to be the same symptom like

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2612772&page=7

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2651368

Anyone can help please?

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I'm using safestrap 4.0.1 on HDX thor.
When I boot into recovery and tried to flash the latest CM11 firware.
But in the "Mount" --- "Select Partions to Mount" section I could only click "Cache" and "System". I tried to click "Internal Storage" and "Date" but it's not responding.

When I tried to flash the new firmware, it gives error messsage.

E: Unable to mount '/cache'
E: Unable to mount '/data'
E: Unable to mount '/system'
E: Unable to mount '/devlog'
E: Unable to mount internal storage

It seems to be the same symptom like

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2612772&page=7

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2300511

Anyone can help please?
Links were shortened (note dots) so couldn't research what appears to be similar symptoms. It 'feels' like wrong the Safestrap build was installed. You mentioned HDX Thor which obviously requires the Thor build. If you have the larger 8.9" HDX make sure you use the Apollo build.

Suggested actions:
- reboot to FireOS
- uninstall Safestrap recovery (from within the Safestrap app) followed by the Safestrap app itself
- verify you are running FireOS 4.5.5.1; if not an update is needed
- redownload Safestrap v4 app taking note of the build and MD5
- (optional) verify MD5 using ES File Explorer or similar tool
- reinstall Safestrap app and Safestrap recovery
- reboot to Safestrap recovery and attempt to take a backup of current FireOS build; note any errors
- perform a 'factory reset' from the Wipe menu
- try to flash CM11 (don't forget SuperSU and GAaps)

Note you should be flashing CM to the STOCK slot; do not create or populate any secondary slots. Also make sure CM11 (or Nexus) zip remains in an accessible location, preferably in the root of SD Card. It is a critical life preserver if the rom in the stock slot becomes unstable. Finally; never perform a 'factory reset/refresh' from within FireOS or from the stock recovery menu with Safestrap recovery installed. Device will brick.

jedibob7

Dec 5, 2010
I may have done something immensely dumb. I rebooted to system on a blank slot thinking I was on the base slot and now the device won't respond to the power button.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I may have done something immensely dumb. I rebooted to system on a blank slot thinking I was on the base slot and now the device won't respond to the power button.
Long press the power button (up to 30 sec). Device should either power up or turn off depending on current state. If necessary short press (1-2 sec) to restart. You should the be able to reenter Safestrap recovery.

Caution: do NOT perform any actions from the stock recovery menu. A factory reset will brick the device. You should never access that menu when Safestrap is installed.

jedibob7

Dec 5, 2010
Long press the power button (up to 30 sec). Device should either power up or turn off depending on current state. If necessary short press (1-2 sec) to restart. You should the be able to reenter Safestrap recovery.

Caution: do NOT perform any actions from the stock recovery menu. A factory reset will brick the device. You should never access that menu when Safestrap is installed.
I guess I didn't hold the button for long enough, thank you very much.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I have installed 4.5.5.2 on my HDX ( Thor ). How can i downgrade to 4.5.5.1 ?

THX
Christian
You can't - save one untested possibility: rollback to FireOS 3.2.8 and then do a controlled upgrade to 4.5.5.1. This is a risky procedure with several opportunities to permanently brick your device. In your shoes I'd wait for root to become available for 4.5.5.2.

Fallingwater

Jan 26, 2012
I have a HDX 7 Thor with a locked bootloader which I can't currently unlock (version 3.2.4).

The recovery title bar says: Safestrap 3.75 (TWRP v2.7.1.0). I installed this so long ago I completely lost any memory of how I did it.

The current ROM is Nexus ROM 2.0.4 (4.2.2 Jellybean) installed in the stock slot - I removed FireOS entirely to recover some space after having decided it was utterly useless.

I'd like to install Safestrap 4.01 so I can get CM11 running, but I have a problem as this is listed as a prerequisite:

- You must be on FireOS stock firmware 4.5.2, 4.5.3, 4.5.4, 4.5.5 or 4.5.5.1 <- Please confirm this before proceeding <-

As mentioned before I no longer have FireOS installed in the device at all, and I've long forgotten what version it used to have back then. How can I install Safestrap 4.01? Can I install the app and flash the recovery through the currently installed Nexus 2.0.4?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I have a HDX 7 Thor with a locked bootloader which I can't currently unlock (version 3.2.4).

The recovery title bar says: Safestrap 3.75 (TWRP v2.7.1.0). I installed this so long ago I completely lost any memory of how I did it.

The current ROM is Nexus ROM 2.0.4 (4.2.2 Jellybean) installed in the stock slot - I removed FireOS entirely to recover some space after having decided it was utterly useless.

I'd like to install Safestrap 4.01 so I can get CM11 running, but I have a problem as this is listed as a prerequisite:

As mentioned before I no longer have FireOS installed in the device at all, and I've long forgotten what version it used to have back then. How can I install Safestrap 4.01? Can I install the app and flash the recovery through the currently installed Nexus 2.0.4?
There is an explicit process for migrating from FireOS 3.2.4 (regardless of whether it is currently installed) to FireOS 4.5.5.1 which is the recommended version for Safestrap 4.0.1. However, a new approach to unlocking the bootloader is rapidly evolving which will open your device to a wider array of ROMs and eliminate the need for Safestrap. If you can wait a week or two it would be best to see where that goes.

slothdabski

Aug 3, 2015
Chicago
There is an explicit process for migrating from FireOS 3.2.4 (regardless of whether it is currently installed) to FireOS 4.5.5.1 which is the recommended version for Safestrap 4.0.1. However, a new approach to unlocking the bootloader is rapidly evolving which will open your device to a wider array of ROMs and eliminate the need for Safestrap. If you can wait a week or two it would be best to see where that goes.
Does this mean that rose of use stuck with locked bootloaders due having fireos 4.5x may he blessed with unlocked bootloaders in the near future!?!?!?! Of this is true omg I'm so excited. Either way, thanks for all you do to maintain this device for us @Davey126 :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Does this mean that rose of use stuck with locked bootloaders due having fireos 4.5x may he blessed with unlocked bootloaders in the near future!?!?!?! Of this is true omg I'm so excited. Either way, thanks for all you do to maintain this device for us @Davey126 :)
Looks very promising. Only perquisites at present are: 1) 3rd gen HDX; and 2) device must be rooted. But your "thanks" are misplaced. I'm simply a messenger and occasional troubleshooter. Devs and other device wizards deserve the credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ***PLEASE UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER INSTEAD. ***

*** IF ANY OF THE INFORMATION ON THIS THREAD IS MISUSED IT CAN RESULT IN A BRICKED DEVICE ***

Introduction
    - BEFORE PROCEEDING READ THROUGH CAREFULLY, IF THERE IS ANY DOUBT THEN ASK BEFORE PROCEEDING
    - Safestrap provides TWRP like recovery capabilities for locked devices.
    - This is based on the original work of Hashcode.
    - This is for Apollo and Thor devices only.

Known Issues
    - Secondary slots boot, but the WiFi module does not load
    - Since the secondary slots work but have no WiFi, you will need to flash Nexus v4 to the stock slot for now

Compatible ROMS
    - HDX Nexus ROM v4
    - CM-11
    - Fire Nexus ROM

Prerequisites for Installation
    - You must have root access

Installation
    - Install the app

Download
    *** Please do NOT create any mirrors ***
    - Safestrap for THOR
    - Safestrap for APOLLO

Thanks to my Testers
    - Davey126
    - kudoz83
    - lekofraggle
    - zamtang
    - paul26rem

XDA:DevDB Information
    Safestrap KK, Device Specific App for the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7" & 8.9"

Contributors
    ggow

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 4.0.1
    Stable Release Date: 2015-06-18

Created 2015-06-18
    Last Updated 2019-10-02
    OK well good news from me at least, I am up and running nexus v4.02 from stock FireOS 4.5.4 HDX 7" Locked bootloader

I will type up the steps I did and what happened and post a reply.

1. Download 3.2.8 rollback rom and put it in root folder of tablet
    https://mega.co.nz/#!os4mFaiJ!FSYI8kmeNyRVNdG5keIJes5aRfsD-HJz2lfdyACscA4
    2. Put tablet in airplane mode and run the system update and install the 3.2.8 rom
    3. Skip connecting to wifi during the initial setup wizard on the first boot into 3.2.8,
    or put tablet in airplane mode again after the wizard
    4. Download the 4.5.2 stock rom and put it in root folder of tablet
    https://kindle-fire-updates.s3.amazonaws.com/update-kindle-13.4.5.2_user_452004120.bin
    5. install the 4.5.2 rom and after it boots back into 4.5.2 put into airplane mode again

Now the offical step 6 to root is to install the cve20147911.apk (and click gimme root twice once in the program) via adb but that did not work for me for some unknown reason,
    so my step 6 was install kingroot 4.1.
    now be very careful at this point because I nearly screwed it all up, kingroot will need brief access to the internet to be able to root,
    you have to stay very aware because while u are connected the system will try upgrading to 4.5.3 in the background.
    (I thought I had disabled ota because I adb shell renamed DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk so I was surprised to see it downloading in the notification area).
    My eyes nearly popped out a bit so I quickly put the tablet back into airplane mode to prevent the system finishing the download of 4.5.3, and went back to kingroot and it was happily working away and the root was successful, I think kingroot only needs a short 5-10 second connection to the net to download whatever it needs.

7. Download the Nexus ROM for thor and GAPPS and put them in the root folder of the tablet
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire-hdx/development/rom-hdx-nexus-v4-0-1-t3125808
    8. Install safestrap v4.01
    9. I then installed the Nexus ROM and the GAPPS and was searching around for a factory reset in safestrap but I couldnt find one so I just wiped dalvik/cache then I powered tablet off and on.
    10. It got stuck on the dots moving around to form the logo stage for about 10-15 minutes I thought oh damn.
    11. I then powered off the tablet then holding the volume up key and the power at same time for about 5 seconds and waited then it came up with a File System Recovery i selected Reset to Factory Defaults.
    12. Rebooted then yayyy!!! after the customary first time boot of a new OS on an android system taking longer than usual I was in Nexus!!!
    13. Installed kingroot again to root Nexus v4.02.

.....so yeah that is my experience folks going from FireOS 4.5.4 Bootloader locked HDX 7" to Nexus v4.02

:D :D :D
    Does anyone know if there are plans for CM12 or any lollipop ROMs to be ported for safestrap? Not gonna lie, for this reason I'm jealous of those with an unlocked BL!

- CM-12.1 might be possible for Safestrap however:
    - We would need FireOS 5 Amazon Update
    - We would need root access which may not be easy at all because of how locked down it will be
    - Then there is simply no guarantee that Safestrap can be ported to FireOS 5
    - We will have to wait to see what Amazon does for us.
    Hi, I got the cm11 running on my hdx 7 and was happily playing pokemon go on it up until now. Unfortunately the latest version of the app uses SafetyNet to filter rooted devices and previous versions are not supported anymore. So I reinstalled cm11 w/o root and hoped It would pass the check, since I read about cm12 without root was able todo so. But no luck, I cannot log in. Even rooted and unrooted with SuperSu just to make sure.
    Anyone else got it to work or knows a way to pass SafetyNet with cm11?
    Thanks
    For awareness it is now possible to unlock the bootloader on *any* 3rd gen HDX which will allow you to choose from a broader array of custom ROMs inclusing Nexus, CM 12.1 and CM 13. I'm not prepared to offer a tutorial but there are other threads in the HDX forum that detail the procedure.
    Safestrap v4 has been shown to be compatible with FireOS v4.5.5.1 on 3rd gen devices with no persistent issues reported to date. However, the developer has not made any statements regarding SS v4 compatibility with any version other than 4.5.2.

Based on the above and numerous user reports I feel Safestrap v4 on FireOS 4.5.5.1 is a reasonable choice given complexities/risks associated with the alternative (rollback/upgrade FireOS to 4.5.2).

- I can confirm Safestrap v4.0.1 is compatible with FireOS versions 4.5.2 to 4.5.5.1.
    - CM-11 and Fire Nexus ROM in the next versions will switch to using the latest 4.5.5.1 binaries.
    - Nexus HDX ROM will remain frozen as is

EDIT: Updated OP with Compatible FireOS versions