[DISCONTINUED] TRANSPARENT Genie Widget from Android 4.1 JB (BLUE AND MIUI COLORS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

thunderteaser

Jul 22, 2010
Hello, guys!

I managed to mod an application to have a transparent background and it worked just fine, so I decided to share it with you. :)

This is the new News and Weather Widget from Google that works on Froyo and above on every ROM and every device. It has some new features such as displaying more information on the weather by clicking on the weather icon within the app (as you can see in the first picture) and a cool cerulean highlight effect when pressing on the widget.

Since 1.3.11 from Jelly Bean, it was updated to improve freshness and power consumption.

*UPDATE*

Updated GenieWidget to 1.3.11 from Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Now you can choose between 2 glow colors when pressing on the widget on the home screen: ORIGINAL BLUE or MIUI ORANGE!

Thanks to c3k for providing the Jelly Bean apk and to YOU FOR DOWNLOADING IT MORE THAN 10000 TIMES! I started sharing it just for fun, how could I've ever expected it? Thanks! :fingers-crossed:

*INSTRUCTIONS*

• Uninstall any previous version, if any (if it's a system apk, remove it using Root Explorer or any equivalent apk);
  • Download the version you desire (BLUE glow or MIUI glow);
  • Push it to /system/app with adb, or just copy it to your sdcard and install it as a regular apk;
  • Enjoy! :)

*TROUBLESHOOTING*

Having troubles or force closes? Please, remember that this is just a mod, I'm not the author of the original apk, so make sure your problems are coming from my mods *only* before asking! If you can't see anything wrong with an original GenieWidget version, please uninstall GenieWidget, reboot to recovery, clear caches, reboot and try installing it again.

*CHANGELOG*

• 11-15-2011: Initial mod from ICS 4.0.0;
  • 02-07-2012: Updated mod to 1.3.04, from ICS 4.0.3 which now includes ICS themed tabs and minor graphical changes overall. It also supports HD resolutions (e.g. Galaxy Nexus);
  • 07-23-2012: Updated to 1.3.11 from JB 4.1; added MIUI variant; removed ICS versions.
  • 06-15-2016: Discontinuing project since Google stopped supporting GenieWidget.

Attachments

• GenieWidget-TRANSPARENT_1.3.11_BLUE.apk
    955.1 KB · Views: 89,771
  • GenieWidget-TRANSPARENT_1.3.11_MIUI.apk
    955.3 KB · Views: 13,845
Last edited:

skomaroh

Oct 7, 2010
Did you have a previous GenieWidget? Uninstall it and install it again, it should work!

I made this, but result isn't change. Widget works, and app when starts - crash.

UPD: This isn't bug of this app, this is bug of cyanogemod. Because the same error in some another app, that connect to internet (Beautifull Widget - when search theme, etc)

Last edited:
Reactions: thunderteaser

skmlau

Feb 15, 2011
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
Hi im running onecosmic's port of ics on my i9000.
I couldnt find any options to set my widgets to transparent.
So im wondering if its ok for me to install this apk, assuming this apk was meant for froyo and gingerbread.

Edit:

Ive mistaken this for an ability to make all the widgets in ics to go transparent.

Is there a way to do this??

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

Last edited:

skmlau

Feb 15, 2011
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
:) . 1 thing tho. This go launcher ex is a bit slower than regular ics launcher, zeam and adw launcher.
It would be awesome if i could edit the ics launcher to have all transparent widgets.

Sent from my ics powered beast

thunderteaser

Jul 22, 2010
Sorry, I saw this too late!

It would be awesome if i could edit the ics launcher to have all transparent widgets.

That would simplify everyone's life, but backgrounds are built-in in the apks and need to be edited and 9patched, or decompiled, edited, recompiled and signed again. That's no job for a launcher, unfortunately. :(

Last edited:

Nailerdog

Jul 5, 2010
I'm trying to install the transparent version on my Galaxy Nexus with Astro. Looks like the existing has to be uninstalled. How do I uninstall as astro can't do it and when I try to uninstall with App Mgr it wont do it?

thunderteaser

Jul 22, 2010
I'm trying to install the transparent version on my Galaxy Nexus with Astro. Looks like the existing has to be uninstalled. How do I uninstall as astro can't do it and when I try to uninstall with App Mgr it wont do it?

If that's a system apk, you can't just uninstall it. You have to remove it manually: use Root Explorer or any equivalent app and make sure /system is set as R/W. You'll find that in /system/app.

Nailerdog

Jul 5, 2010
It is a system App.
Sounds like I need to root first, install root explorer, find and remove it and then install the transparent APK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, guys!

I managed to mod an application to have a transparent background and it worked just fine, so I decided to share it with you. :)

This is the new News and Weather Widget from Google that works on Froyo and above on every ROM and every device. It has some new features such as displaying more information on the weather by clicking on the weather icon within the app (as you can see in the first picture) and a cool cerulean highlight effect when pressing on the widget.

Since 1.3.11 from Jelly Bean, it was updated to improve freshness and power consumption.

*UPDATE*

Updated GenieWidget to 1.3.11 from Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Now you can choose between 2 glow colors when pressing on the widget on the home screen: ORIGINAL BLUE or MIUI ORANGE!

Thanks to c3k for providing the Jelly Bean apk and to YOU FOR DOWNLOADING IT MORE THAN 10000 TIMES! I started sharing it just for fun, how could I've ever expected it? Thanks! :fingers-crossed:

*INSTRUCTIONS*

• Uninstall any previous version, if any (if it's a system apk, remove it using Root Explorer or any equivalent apk);
    • Download the version you desire (BLUE glow or MIUI glow);
    • Push it to /system/app with adb, or just copy it to your sdcard and install it as a regular apk;
    • Enjoy! :)

*TROUBLESHOOTING*

Having troubles or force closes? Please, remember that this is just a mod, I'm not the author of the original apk, so make sure your problems are coming from my mods *only* before asking! If you can't see anything wrong with an original GenieWidget version, please uninstall GenieWidget, reboot to recovery, clear caches, reboot and try installing it again.

*CHANGELOG*

• 11-15-2011: Initial mod from ICS 4.0.0;
    • 02-07-2012: Updated mod to 1.3.04, from ICS 4.0.3 which now includes ICS themed tabs and minor graphical changes overall. It also supports HD resolutions (e.g. Galaxy Nexus);
    • 07-23-2012: Updated to 1.3.11 from JB 4.1; added MIUI variant; removed ICS versions.
    • 06-15-2016: Discontinuing project since Google stopped supporting GenieWidget.
    Can someone help me locate a jellybean genie widget 1.3.11 with stock theme that I can side load. I found a couple that fail install and I'm really not that good with dropping into system/app folder. I will appreciate anything you can do...

Do you mean a signed apk? Try the one attached to this post.
    Dear all, I'm glad that you liked my transparent mod and I admit I am stunned by seeing that some of you guys have been using it until a few days ago. Unfortunately, since this was just a graphical mod and I haven't touched a single string of code for the google server part, I guess Big G stopped supporting this app and there is nothing I can do about it. Time has come to say goodbye. :crying:

Thank you very much for using it and wish you all the best!

To any mods reading this: you can now close this thread.

Roger that, I will go ahead and close it for you.
    OP updated to 1.3.11 from Jelly Bean. Now you can choose between 2 glow colors! :highfive:
    Thanks Works Great!!