• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[DISCONTINUED] TWRP Flashable .3.2.3 Bootloader Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

AmazonLeaker

Nov 20, 2014
I guess what I'm wondering is whether the update image for this version
(and 1x.3.2.7) was ever publicly released, since pretty much all earlier versions
I've tried can still be downloaded from Amazon at the URL

https://kindle-fire-updates.s3.amazonaws.com/

alternatively

https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindle-fire-updates/

followed by 'update-kindle-LONG_VERSION.bin',
which kind of makes sense considering that there
_could_ be devices out there with any version...

These "milestone" versions are all still available:

1x.3.1.0_user_310079820 (first[?] root)
1x.3.2.3.2_user_323001720 (latest with RSA bug)
1x.3.2.6_user_326001820 (latest with no rollback protection?)

SO, my question is -IF you have a 1x.3.2.8- did you receive it as normal OTA,
or are these rollback-protected images distributed only to those that didn' t
want 4.x.x... I'm just speculating here, of course.

It looks like I've gotten an answer in the meantime..

Well for me its a roll back firmware and for your question about the availability ill let you known some information soon.

Also if you really need the img / update file you mentioned (that cant be downloaded) id sincerely ask you to contact amzn support

Edit / Update @draxie : unfortunately i cant extract any information for 8.9 - pre 4.0 OS, sadly all i have is 4.0 & above info for 8.9, however i do have info about hdx 7 from 13.x.x (if it helps), Thor 13.x.x had only 2 sw updates that were not to all but few, also i strongly suspect that same is the case with hdx 8.9 but 13.3.2.8 isn't the one "released to only some customers"

Again my honest advice to you would be approach a correct person via customer care abt 13.3.2.8 and get a ticket raised or have a contact of lab126 or some dev team

Last edited:

mxzwhx

May 19, 2011
is there has a version of fire os named 13/14.3.2.3.2 ?(not 13/14.3.2.3)If there is ,could it be rootable and install twrp and flash @ggow's rom ?where I can find it ?

Sent from my MI 2SC using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

MinerBoy004

Jan 14, 2015
*** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THINGS GO WRONG. ***

*** IF YOUR SYSTEM IS WORKING AS EXPECTED THEN YOU DO NOT NEED THESE FILES ***

Hello all,

Here are some bootloader upgrade images which allow you to upgrade your system to .3.2.3.2 without flashing the full amazon stock firmware image.
The reason you might want to do this is because a few people have reported graphical glitches/black screen issues while trying to run HDX Nexus ROM.

Updating to .3.2.3.2 seems to fix the problems.

These update images will flash the bootloaders on your system.
They will NOT flash the modem, /boot , /recovery or /system partitions.

*** PLEASE CHECK THE MD5 OF THESE AFTER DOWNLOADING AND BEFORE FLASHING ***

I have tested both of them Apollo and Thor respectively.

Instructions
- Copy the file to your /sdcard on your device
- Flash the file with TWRP
- Reboot

Downloads
- Apollo Update Image - md5 = 13dcf20721561c75cea9ed1e6fb128df
- Thor Update Image - md5 = ac1548910032f4ce4060bb41ff8a5c5c

Doesn't work for me. Anytime I flash it, it restarts TWRP w/o the zip check on, and w/ it on it fails to flash it,

gorthon

Oct 13, 2012
I have two questions about this:
- does this require the bootloader to be already unlocked / will it change the unlock state?
- can anything happen if I apply this on a bootloader >3.2.6 ? I don't know my bootloader version and have no way of finding out (no FireOS installed anymore).

sergtot

Jun 22, 2012
They will NOT flash the modem, /boot , /recovery or /system partitions.
How can I flash modem to downgrade it to 3.2.3.2 too?
I made that http://forum.xda-developers.com/kin...-to-unbrick-kindle-fire-hdx-firmware-t3277197 and now I want to flash the file from this thread to become more "3.2.3.2", because as ONYXis said now I've got "aboot from 3.2.3 , other components of bootchain (sbl, modem. tz, rpm) from 4.5 after that procedure."
I've got some wi-fi issues and want to try to fix them.

Last edited:

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
How can I flash modem to downgrade it to 3.2.3.3 too?
I made that http://forum.xda-developers.com/kin...-to-unbrick-kindle-fire-hdx-firmware-t3277197 and now I want to flash the file from this thread to become more "3.2.3.2", because as ONYXis said now I've got "aboot from 3.2.3 , other components of bootchain (sbl, modem. tz, rpm) from 4.5 after that procedure."

I'll look into it this week.

Reactions: DB126 and sergtot

sergtot

Jun 22, 2012
Hello!
Could you please make the same zip, but with sbl1, tz, rpm (+ modem if it's possible) from 4.5.5.2? Leaving aboot 3.2.3 of course.
That can be a good alternative for those who want to have all possible stuff as up to date as it's possible :)

Last edited:

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
Hello!
Could you please make the same zip, but with sbl1, tz, rpm (+ modem if it's possible) from 4.5.5.2? Leaving aboot 3.2.3 of course.
That can be a good alternative for those who want to have all possible stuff as up to date as it's possible :)

There is really no need to do this. The bootloaders from .3.2.3.2 have proven stable. Also this is a risky process so I won't be making such a flashable zip. I did it before because the .3.1.0 bootloaders caused WiFi and Graphical Glitches.

Reactions: DB126 and sergtot

sergtot

Jun 22, 2012
There is really no need to do this. The bootloaders from .3.2.3.2 have proven stable. Also this is a risky process so I won't be making such a flashable zip. I did it before because the .3.1.0 bootloaders caused WiFi and Graphical Glitches.
Oook.
Can you include in your zip modem from .3.2.3.2?

sergtot

Jun 22, 2012
Curious - what's your thinking around the modem?
After ONYXis procedure for unbricking I've got modem from .4.5.5. I flashed the file from that thread to become more .3.2.3, because I had WiFi issues. After flashing the file my modem remained the same.
Yes, my WiFi issue has disappeared itself after time, I always see 2.4 Ghz net now. It's rather enough. But I want to try .3.2.3 modem. May be it can let me always see 5 Ghz net too.
So, I want to make some tests with WiFi when I will become fully .3.2.3 and fully .4.5.5, except aboot of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: DB126

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
After ONYXis procedure for unbricking I've got modem from .4.5.5. I flashed the file from that thread to become more .3.2.3, because I had WiFi issues. After flashing the file my modem remained the same.
Yes, my WiFi issue has disappeared itself after time, I always see 2.4 Ghz net now. It's rather enough. But I want to try .3.2.3 modem. May be it can let me always see 5 Ghz net too.
So, I want to make some tests with WiFi when I will become fully .3.2.3 and fully .4.5.5, except aboot of course.

Your best bet for getting to a full .3.2.3.2 is loading amazon's stock firmware. The firmware update process is not as straightforward to enable me to include the modem firmware.

I believe the modem firmware update is handled as a special case where a second kernel image is used to load the modem firmware.

Reactions: DB126

sergtot

Jun 22, 2012
Your best bet for getting to a full .3.2.3.2 is loading amazon's stock firmware. The firmware update process is not as straightforward to enable me to include the modem firmware.

I believe the modem firmware update is handled as a special case where a second kernel image is used to load the modem firmware.
I wanted to test Wifi at CM13. It's a strange case to flash amazon's stock firmware to do that.
OK.

I want to understand the mechanism of update by your zip. So, I've got 2 questions:
1. I see "NON-HLOS.bin" in your zip. What is it for if modem isn't flashed as a result?
2. If I've got sbl1, tz, rpm, sdi, NON-HLOS.bin from the newer amazon's firmware, can I replace files in your zip by them and will the resulted file successfully flashable?

Last edited:

mathso

Oct 3, 2016
Bricked my HDX 8.9

So, after messing around quite a lot with custom roms and android, I finally managed to produce my first brick - formely known as Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 - following the steps in this thread.
Well, I possibly shouldn't have done that, since I don't know which firmware I was on... But as I was not abled to get a running CM12.1 and CM13 (both stuck in a boot loop), I finally was desperate enough to try this method as a last resort.

So, I started out with a used HDX 8.9 that I bought from ebay with an up-to-date OS version probably installed via OTA. What I had so far was an unlocked bootloader, following this method here, a running TWRP (3.x) and I was abled to flash roms back and forth - but only the stock 4.5.5.2 and the CM11 would boot up and work. Then, I read somewhere, that maybe the bootloader version was the cause for the boot loop, so I started messing around and finally produced the brick. It's not starting up anymore, no kindle fire logo, no adb, no fastboot.

However, I can still connect my tablet to my pc as QHUSB_BULK or in qdloader 9008 mode on windows and ubunutu. That gave me at least some hope.

Now, I first tried the method here which is for older firmwares... and thus didn't work. Then, I hoped I could maybe flash my old aboot.mtb or the old recovery following this thread here. But I can't see no partitions in ubuntu - getting something like "no mtp device recognized" in the syslog.

Well... maybe there's just no hope anymore and it stays a brick forever. Now I just wanted to know, what happend exactly? And if anybody has any idea whatsoever - I'll give it a try. I also read, that changing the wifi module might help? Why would this help?

So far... I would be very happy, if I could bring it back to live. Otherwise, if anybody needs a brick or can use it for any other purpose, we'll probably find a way to ship it to you... Keep up the good work here!

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
So, after messing around quite a lot with custom roms and android, I finally managed to produce my first brick - formely known as Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 - following the steps in this thread.
Well, I possibly shouldn't have done that, since I don't know which firmware I was on... But as I was not abled to get a running CM12.1 and CM13 (both stuck in a boot loop), I finally was desperate enough to try this method as a last resort.

So, I started out with a used HDX 8.9 that I bought from ebay with an up-to-date OS version probably installed via OTA. What I had so far was an unlocked bootloader, following this method here, a running TWRP (3.x) and I was abled to flash roms back and forth - but only the stock 4.5.5.2 and the CM11 would boot up and work. Then, I read somewhere, that maybe the bootloader version was the cause for the boot loop, so I started messing around and finally produced the brick. It's not starting up anymore, no kindle fire logo, no adb, no fastboot.

However, I can still connect my tablet to my pc as QHUSB_BULK or in qdloader 9008 mode on windows and ubunutu. That gave me at least some hope.

Now, I first tried the method here which is for older firmwares... and thus didn't work. Then, I hoped I could maybe flash my old aboot.mtb or the old recovery following this thread here. But I can't see no partitions in ubuntu - getting something like "no mtp device recognized" in the syslog.

Well... maybe there's just no hope anymore and it stays a brick forever. Now I just wanted to know, what happend exactly? And if anybody has any idea whatsoever - I'll give it a try. I also read, that changing the wifi module might help? Why would this help?

So far... I would be very happy, if I could bring it back to live. Otherwise, if anybody needs a brick or can use it for any other purpose, we'll probably find a way to ship it to you... Keep up the good work here!

This one is a permanent brick.

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
OK. Sad to hear that. Could you please say why you think it's bricked?
If the appropriate files would be available, would it be possible to unbrick it using some tools to flash the files like here?

A couple of thoughts:

1. Did you try holding the power button down for about 20-30 seconds. Then release and try powering it on again?

2. If you had bootloaders from version .3.2.3.2 installed prior to brick you could try this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/kin...-to-unbrick-kindle-fire-hdx-firmware-t3277197

mathso

Oct 3, 2016
A couple of thoughts:

1. Did you try holding the power button down for about 20-30 seconds. Then release and try powering it on again?

2. If you had bootloaders from version .3.2.3.2 installed prior to brick you could try this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/kin...-to-unbrick-kindle-fire-hdx-firmware-t3277197

Yes. I've already tried that. In fact my previously posted link was on that topic, but on the wrong post :)
The flashing is stuck at the "Opening port" as expected. So, it seems like my bootloader version was not .3.2.3.2.
I'm really not sure what bootloader version I was on and I found no method how to check my bootloader version.

But I dd'ed the aboot_vuln.mtb from this thread here. Is this also the bootloader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    - Discontinued.
    - This was only really useful for people that unlocked on firmwares older than xx.3.2.3.2.
    - It should no longer be needed

If your bootloader is not unlocked OR you are running Safestrap 4.xx, please walk away now​
    Android-Phone-Rooting-qtkznc-273x3001.png

Disclaimer
    Code:
    [COLOR="gray"]
    /*
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
     * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
     * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
     * in the products you find here before flashing it!
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
     */
    [/COLOR]

Hello all,

Here are some bootloader upgrade images which allow you to upgrade your system to .3.2.3.2 without flashing the full amazon stock firmware image.
    The reason you might want to do this is because a few people have reported graphical glitches/black screen issues while trying to run HDX Nexus ROM.

Updating to .3.2.3.2 seems to fix the problems.

These update images will flash the bootloaders on your system.
    They will NOT flash the modem firmware, /boot , /recovery or /system partitions.

*** PLEASE CHECK THE MD5 OF THESE AFTER DOWNLOADING AND BEFORE FLASHING ***

I have tested both of them Apollo and Thor respectively.

Instructions
    - Copy the file to your /sdcard on your device
    - Flash the file with TWRP
    - Reboot

Downloads
    - Discontinued.
    - This was only really useful for people that unlocked on firmwares older than xx.3.2.3.2.
    - It should no longer be needed
    Okay thanks a lot for the answer, as i have root access can i downgrade by fooling system that i have a lower build (editing build prop) and then updating the lower build.

In short ill make build prop edit to a lower version than .3.2.4 or so and then sideload update the .3.2.3 Firmware. ?

Err, don't think that's going to work. If it were that easy folks would be downgrading from 3.2.7/3.2.8 in droves (and certainly the devs would have supplied a tool for the masses). Best catch up by reading through the forums and learning what can and can't be done with your device given the current firmware level.
    Hello!

How can I flash modem to downgrade it to 3.2.3.3 too?

I'll look into it this week.
    Thor HDX 7" bricked as well. Everything was working fine, wanted to install the KK Fire Nexus ROM but TWRP was giving me error 7, something about build dates not being able to install a newer over an older one (even after I flashed TWRP again), so i tried flashing this, rebooted, and now black screen and QSHL USB thing showing up in device manager.

I had an unlocked bootloader completely, so that wasn't the problem.

Last 30 posts in this thread are people saying that this bricked their devices, really makes you think huh.