• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[DISCONTINUED] TWRP Flashable .3.2.3 Bootloader Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Mr McBoatface

Dec 31, 2016
:fingers-crossed:Hi Guys, Would like to add my experience to the thread. I had been running my HDX 7 on safestrap and the nexus KK rom. Prior to installing safestrap from what I recall it was on amazon OS 4.5.5. which at the time I couldn't root so downgarded to OS v3.2.8 followed by manually upgraded to 4.5.2 which was rootable. Ran safestrap without issue, in late December I seen the new roms developing and decided to go down the unlocked bootloader and twrp path.

I was successful in following the procedure as per ONYXis unlocking guide and was able to install the newer ROMs. I didn't actually have any graphical issues or any problem but having removed safestrap and with a unlocked bootloader I decided I'd update the bootloader using the image on this thread. I followed all steps, verifed md5 and flashed with twrp. Unfortunatly got a brick as a result, black screen after reboot.

I've since picked up another HDX on ebay it was on 4.5XXX i just rooted the device with kingroot and unlocked it using ONYXis unlocking guide and I am using customs roms with no issue, nexus KK is my daily rom, it just works 100% :) .

I also picked up a cheap replacement hdx motherboard on ebay, which arrived today :) Installed it in the bricked HDX, not easiest task but not too bad. I didn't have to remove screen as suggusted by others, the ribbons on lcd and digitiser can be reconnected without removing the screen from the frame, the longer LCD ribbon can be moved from it's original position in the frame to gives the extra length needed to connect both lcd and digitiser to m/b. I actually cut out a bit of the frame which probally wasn't needed but it meant i could relocate the ribbon back to where it came from without taking screen off....probably should have taking a photo to show what I mean. After charging for 10 mins the tablet booted up fine, had a pin code from the previuos owner so just reset the device from amazon recovery. Rooted with kingroot and unlocked bootloader.

So I bricked a HDX but it wasn't the end of the world and it was cheap enough to repair, albeit with a little effort. I cant say why it got bricked but maybe because it was on a 4.5xx OS at one stage ? Can't see it being safetrap issue in my case as it had been completly removed maybe the was something left behind ?

EDIT : Image of what ribbon cable to move and where to cut frame added

Last edited:
Reactions: DB126

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
:fingers-crossed:Hi Guys, Would like to add my experience to the thread. I had been running my HDX 7 on safestrap and the nexus KK rom. Prior to installing safestrap from what I recall it was on amazon OS 4.5.5. which at the time I couldn't root so downgarded to OS v3.2.8 followed by manually upgraded to 4.5.2 which was rootable. Ran safestrap without issue, in late December I seen the new roms developing and decided to go down the unlocked bootloader and twrp path.

I was successful in following the procedure as per ONYXis unlocking guide and was able to install the newer ROMs. I didn't actually have any graphical issues or any problem but having removed safestrap and with a unlocked bootloader I decided I'd update the bootloader using the image on this thread. I followed all steps, verifed md5 and flashed with twrp. Unfortunatly got a brick as a result, black screen after reboot.

I've since picked up another HDX on ebay it was on 4.5XXX i just rooted the device with kingroot and unlocked it using ONYXis unlocking guide and I am using customs roms with no issue, nexus KK is my daily rom, it just works 100% :) .

I also picked up a cheap replacement hdx motherboard on ebay, which arrived today :) Installed it in the bricked HDX, not easiest task but not too bad. I didn't have to remove screen as suggusted by others, the ribbons on lcd and digitiser can be reconnected without removing the screen from the frame, the longer LCD ribbon can be moved from it's original position in the frame to gives the extra length needed to connect both lcd and digitiser to m/b. I actually cut out a bit of the frame which probally wasn't needed but it meant i could relocate the ribbon back to where it came from without taking screen off....probably should have taking a photo to show what I mean. After charging for 10 mins the tablet booted up fine, had a pin code from the previuos owner so just reset the device from amazon recovery. Rooted with kingroot and unlocked bootloader.

So I bricked a HDX but it wasn't the end of the world and it was cheap enough to repair, albeit with a little effort. I cant say why it got bricked but maybe because it was on a 4.5xx OS at one stage ? Can't see it being safetrap issue in my case as it had been completly removed maybe the was something left behind ?

EDIT : Image of what ribbon cable to move and where to cut frame added
Excellent read - thank you!

Synthesized

Oct 26, 2013
Thor HDX 7" bricked as well. Everything was working fine, wanted to install the KK Fire Nexus ROM but TWRP was giving me error 7, something about build dates not being able to install a newer over an older one (even after I flashed TWRP again), so i tried flashing this, rebooted, and now black screen and QSHL USB thing showing up in device manager.

I had an unlocked bootloader completely, so that wasn't the problem.

Last 30 posts in this thread are people saying that this bricked their devices, really makes you think huh.

Reactions: DB126

Mr McBoatface

Dec 31, 2016
Thor HDX 7" bricked as well. Everything was working fine, wanted to install the KK Fire Nexus ROM but TWRP was giving me error 7, something about build dates not being able to install a newer over an older one (even after I flashed TWRP again), so i tried flashing this, rebooted, and now black screen and QSHL USB thing showing up in device manager.

Last 30 posts in this thread are people saying that this bricked their devices, really makes you think huh.

That issue was related to the TWRP. I had that problem with the latest build. Downgrading sorted that, did you follow the unlock any bootloader method by ONYXis ? I posted in that thread a couple of days ago that the bootloader it flashes and the bootloader from this thread are the same... so no point in risking this

I thought I cross posted here but must have not hit the submit reply button.

Sorry to say but a motherboard replacement is the only fix.

AT THIS POINT I DON'T THINK ANYONE SHOULD FOLLOW THIS METHOD ANYMORE

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
AT THIS POINT I DON'T THINK ANYONE SHOULD FOLLOW THIS METHOD ANYMORE
FYI - I reached out to @ggow earlier today. Not 100% convinced the failure is related to newer TWRP builds. If confirmed it would be a simple matter to update installation guidance. That said, I still lean towards pulling this recognizing it does offer a potential benefit to devices that started with very old builds of FireOS v3 (becoming increasingly rare). Also have to be mindful of the varied communities XDA serves.

Mr McBoatface

Dec 31, 2016
FYI - I reached out to @ggow earlier today. Not 100% convinced the failure is related to newer TWRP builds. If confirmed it would be a simple matter to update installation guidance. That said, I still lean towards pulling this recognizing it does offer a potential benefit to devices that started with very old builds of FireOS v3 (becoming increasingly rare). Also have to be mindful of the varied communities XDA serves.

Sorry I should have been more specific, the twrp error I was referring to was the build date error the poster had while trying to flash nexus.

That said there could be something to do with twrp. I noticed that when I downgraded to twrp to 3.0.0.1 I could copy all of my backup image created with twrp including the boot image to pc. Previously with newer versions could only copy system , data, the boot img couldn't be copied, like it was read write protected. Maybe something similar happen in reverse ... boot image not written during flash ? Speculation on my part.

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Sorry I should have been more specific, the twrp error I was referring to was the build date error the poster had while trying to flash nexus.

That said there could be something to do with twrp. I noticed that when I downgraded to twrp to 3.0.0.1 I could copy all of my backup image created with twrp including the boot image to pc. Previously with newer versions could only copy system , data, the boot img couldn't be copied, like it was read write protected. Maybe something similar happen in reverse ... boot image not written during flash ? Speculation on my part.
There is a known permissions error with TWRP 3.0.2.x-3.0.3.x that prevents boot.img from being copied; annoying but easily remedied. Seems unlikely that would extend to flashing but I suppose anything is possible. See what shakes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    - Discontinued.
    - This was only really useful for people that unlocked on firmwares older than xx.3.2.3.2.
    - It should no longer be needed

If your bootloader is not unlocked OR you are running Safestrap 4.xx, please walk away now​
    Android-Phone-Rooting-qtkznc-273x3001.png

Disclaimer
    Code:
    [COLOR="gray"]
    /*
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
     * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
     * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
     * in the products you find here before flashing it!
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
     */
    [/COLOR]

Hello all,

Here are some bootloader upgrade images which allow you to upgrade your system to .3.2.3.2 without flashing the full amazon stock firmware image.
    The reason you might want to do this is because a few people have reported graphical glitches/black screen issues while trying to run HDX Nexus ROM.

Updating to .3.2.3.2 seems to fix the problems.

These update images will flash the bootloaders on your system.
    They will NOT flash the modem firmware, /boot , /recovery or /system partitions.

*** PLEASE CHECK THE MD5 OF THESE AFTER DOWNLOADING AND BEFORE FLASHING ***

I have tested both of them Apollo and Thor respectively.

Instructions
    - Copy the file to your /sdcard on your device
    - Flash the file with TWRP
    - Reboot

Downloads
    - Discontinued.
    - This was only really useful for people that unlocked on firmwares older than xx.3.2.3.2.
    - It should no longer be needed
    Okay thanks a lot for the answer, as i have root access can i downgrade by fooling system that i have a lower build (editing build prop) and then updating the lower build.

In short ill make build prop edit to a lower version than .3.2.4 or so and then sideload update the .3.2.3 Firmware. ?

Err, don't think that's going to work. If it were that easy folks would be downgrading from 3.2.7/3.2.8 in droves (and certainly the devs would have supplied a tool for the masses). Best catch up by reading through the forums and learning what can and can't be done with your device given the current firmware level.
    Hello!
    Could you please make the same zip, but with sbl1, tz, rpm (+ modem if it's possible) from 4.5.5.2? Leaving aboot 3.2.3 of course.
    That can be a good alternative for those who want to have all possible stuff as up to date as it's possible :)

There is really no need to do this. The bootloaders from .3.2.3.2 have proven stable. Also this is a risky process so I won't be making such a flashable zip. I did it before because the .3.1.0 bootloaders caused WiFi and Graphical Glitches.
    How can I flash modem to downgrade it to 3.2.3.3 too?
    I made that http://forum.xda-developers.com/kin...-to-unbrick-kindle-fire-hdx-firmware-t3277197 and now I want to flash the file from this thread to become more "3.2.3.2", because as ONYXis said now I've got "aboot from 3.2.3 , other components of bootchain (sbl, modem. tz, rpm) from 4.5 after that procedure."
    I've got some wi-fi issues and want to try to fix them.

I'll look into it this week.