[DISCONTINUED][ZS620KL] LineageOS 19.1 (Android 12.1) for the Asus Zenfone 5z

Search This thread

ThE_MarD

Recognized Developer
Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4
Heyyo ammzul, glad you're a fan of LineageOS for Z01R! :)
My 1st / First Set of Queries! (My Handset is ZS621KL (Asus Zenfone 5z - 8 GB - 256 GB)

Would like to understand, whether the Lineage OS 19.x will support the standards features of Qualcomm 845 Chipset?

1. Cellular LTE Carrier Aggregation Support - 2x20 MHz carrier aggregation (Up-Load), 5x20 MHz carrier aggregation (Download).

I'm on Jio Network and I have CA supported SIM. Standard Asus ROM used to indicate 4G+ as the network indicator. Will Lineage OS support 2CA for Upload and 5CA for download?

2. Wi fi Support - Does it support Peak 256 QAM Wi-Fi, MU-MIMO & Multi-gigabit Wi-Fi. For MU-MIMO, is it 2x2 or 3x3?

3. Will Lineage OS support Qualcomm® Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 4 technology?

4. Does Lineage OS support all the APIs - Vulkan® 1.1, OpenCL™ 2.0 Full, DirectX® 12 & OpenGL® ES 3.2?

5. Will Lineage OS support Qualcomm® aptX™ audio playback support & Qualcomm® aptX™ HD?
So for fancy carrier stuff? I did have to ask the community as I don't get access to a lot of those features in Canada... we really suck for service providers, oof...

1. Yes it does work. It does seem to be very picky depending on the carriers though.

2. Z01R supports MIMO 2x2

3. Z01R supports Quick Charge 3 and it is implemented into LineageOS, so you can get up to 18 Watts of charging power

4. Yes to all of those except DirectX 12 as that is on Windows OS only hehe. Android uses Vulkan or OpenGL for graphic APIs

5. Yes aptX and aptX HD are supported

My 2nd / Second Set of Queries!

These set of queries are from your initial logs #

1. Is the ViLTE working now?

2. any plans to enable 4K UHD Video recording in LineageOS Snap Camera app itself?

3. Is there anyway to activate Widevine L1 using some method - from any other Asus Phone or any other 845 Chipset model or something of that sort? Will writing to Asus through email or Asus Forums help? I can attempt, in case if it's feasible!
1. ViLTE is very tempermental on any device running a custom ROM... and afaik? It's very picky per carrier on Z01R especially since Asus didn't really enable it even on stock ZenUI ROM...

2. Unfortuantely no... LineageOS Snap Camera is dead on 19.1, so it's just the AOSP camera2 app and it sucks lol... so I highly recommend switching to a gcam mod or a different camera app.

3. This is definitely an Asus problem. They wipe DRM keys on bootloader unlock... so we are stuck on Widevine L3. There is some guides about doing QMSCT back to oreo stock and relocking the bootloader and then flashing fastboot ROMs to even earlier builds of ZenUI but be very careful if you wish to attempt this as some users have bricked their devices and then had to QMSCT and lose IMEI and then it's a struggle to get everything working again... so if you do try it? I definitely recommend writing down your IMEI's first and even perform a QCN backup too.
My 3rd & Final Set of Queries!
1. Lineage OS Updates - When I check for updates in Lineage OS, I see the update files listed as full 900 MB or so - which means it's a full file download.

Not only it takes bandwidth, but, it seems to rewrite the whole code once again and not merely update the changes alone.

The official upgrades used to be incremental and small in size - where-in I know that it only updates the relevant part of the code which requires change.

Is my understanding right or am I off the standard lineage logic?

I'm also worried that one such FULL LINEAGE update one day will knock off my data and will start as if it's going to be a FRESH upgrade! it will disturb my day to day life an hence such questions!

2. Since I will be moving to Lineage OS, is there any app - which If I install in mobile will keep sending the errors / bugs as log file to the developer? This will help pass the bugs issues / automatically!

If my understanding is right, then the lines in the log file will be (possibly) coloured differentially - which means all error lines will be RED in colour which will help you to address the issues!

Point 2 above is just my wish list and hence was checking if an option of that sort is possible - either automatically or manually!
1. LineageOS only provides full ROM files, no deltas. LOS updates will never nuke data as the userdata partition is never modified on OTA. Any LOS version upgrades (ie, 18.1 to 19.1) the users must always perform manually anyways too since it also requires reflashing any addons like GApps anyways.

2. For bug reports? You can send them here on XDA for me or the gitlab issue tracker which there is links to in on the LOS wiki The colored lines in logcat is more dependent on what app you use to read the logs. I just use VisualCode on my PC because it does everything I need and I can always toss on some plugins if I want extra functionality. There isn't any auto bug report submission so it will be up to you to record anything I might need to help diagnose any issues.

Also, you mentioned upgrading to a 5G device.... from everything I've seen in Canada? Eh, I wouldn't rush lol... not unless you came upon some killer deal... in Canada 5G has mainly so far lowered the latency of the connection and hasn't boosted the speeds... plus since the signal waves are a higher frequency than LTE? The signal strength tends to be lower too unless where you are is a big city with lots and lots of antennas everywhere... Then again, historically this was also true with LTE when it first launched in Canada but after a few years? It definitely was superior to 3G. This is just my experience though, maybe in India it'll be handled faster and better than Canada heh

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Incoherent Ian

ammzul

Jan 24, 2014
Chennai
Asus Zenfone 5Z
Thank-you for taking you time - patiently and clearly. I'm from India - and hence few questions may be specific to India. I should have added up more info - but alas, yours is good one.

One more request - let me know which handset you will be moving to next - I will try to target that - you know, I can use it for 3-4 years easily when you support it!

Few added questions based on your answers - not handset specific but generic #

1. After installing Lineage & Gapps, if I have to install gcam mod, should i follow the same procedure as gapps installation? meaing, first install lineage OS, then gapps & thengcam mod, sort of? Will it replace existing camera app or will it reside in addition to existing camera apps?

2. Any specific app that I should install in the mobile for the log to be captured and emailed to you? Also, for installing the logging app, should I root it permanently?

3. On installing Lineage OS FULL Updates, am I expected to reinstall Gapps too? or will the 1st installation of gapps will work?

@ThE_MarD

ThE_MarD

Recognized Developer
Dec 10, 2014
Grande Prairie
LeEco Le Max 2
Moto X4
@ammzul you're welcome friend! Always glad to help (y)

As mentioned earlier my zippo is dead but I intend to continue supporting zippo and Heart for the foreseeable future.

My next device is a Motorola Edge 30 (dubai) as Motorola was kind enough to send me one to work on :love: tbh just two days ago I finally got it booting into LineageOS 19.1! I still need to fix a lot of things though heh so I haven't even released any beta builds yet

Gcam mods are completely separate from the stock camera app but please only ever have one installed at a time as I've heard that installing multiple gcam mods can screw up as they sometimes share app names or resources.

Tbh I haven't used a logcat app in a long time as I always use adb logcat. Magisk can especially screw up any selinux logcat results as root permissions is a bypass of security anyways. I do remember catlog being good though

First install of GApps will carry through. It is only A/B partitioned devices where add-ons cannot be automatically backed up and restores on manual updates. Automatic OTA updates via the Lineage Updater will work correctly for add-ons for A and A/B partitioned devices though

Feb 4, 2017
Following on from various gcam mod mentions -- I've gone with the one mentioned here and wow, what a difference. Definitely recommend. LineageOS stock camera is so, so bad...

Beyond that, continued thanks @ThE_MarD ! Recently updated to the 20220919 nightly and my 5Z continues to perform brilliantly on it.

Reactions: ThE_MarD
Appreciate all the work @ThE_MarD
Please excuse my ignorance but I just wanted to clarify; the official repo (https://download.lineageos.org/Z01R) only lists this as a nightly version rather than any stable, would I be better sticking to the stock os for stability considering this would be my daily driver? I see you're doing regular updates which is awesome, but I'd hate to lose my phone/files in the rare case there is a bug!

I'd also love to clarify if there are any issues with Widevine DRM after unlocking the bootloader and flashing LOS19.1, but this probably isn't the right spot!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restores the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Code:
    #include

/*

* Your warranty is now void.

* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,

* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please

* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM

* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if

* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

*/

SUPPORTED DEVICES

- ZS620KL (Asus Zenfone 5z)

- ZS621KL (Asus Zenfone 5z)

HOW TO INSTALL LINEAGEOS WITH LINEAGE RECOVERY

Please follow the official LineageOS Wiki instructions for our device

HOW TO UPDATE LINEAGEOS WITH LINEAGE RECOVERY

Please follow the official LineageOS Wiki instructions for our device

HOW TO INSTALL LINEAGEOS WITH TWRP

- Unlock the bootloader and install TWRP.

- Download LineageOS. (see Downloads)

- Boot into TWRP.

- Copy the downloaded zip files to the internal SD card.

- Perform a backup of your current ROM. (Optional)

- NOTE! If you're coming from stock ROM? You MUST format data. Wipe > "Format Data" button > type "yes" > keyboard checkbox

- RECOMMENDED: Do a factory reset (clean wipe)! No support if you didn't! (Wipe System, Cache and Data)

- Flash LineageOS zip.

- Flash TWRP installer zip.

- Reboot to TWRP.

- Optional: Install the Google Apps add-on package. (see Downloads)

- Reboot to system.

HOW TO UPDATE LINEAGEOS WITH TWRP

- Download the LineageOS zip(s). (see Downloads)

- Copy the LineageOS zip to the internal SD card.

- Reboot to TWRP.

- Flash LineageOS. (Wiping Cache is optional, but recommended)

- Reboot to TWRP.

- Optional: Install the Google Apps add-on package. (see Downloads)

- Reboot to system.

MAIN DOWNLOADS

Lineage:

- Official:

- Unofficial:

TWRP for Z01R: Official:

GOOGLE APPS (GAPPS) DOWNLOADS

GOOGLE CAMERA (GCAM) DOWNLOADS

Google Camera:

5z's configuration can be found in his configs:

DEVELOPER RESOURCES

HOW TO CONTRIBUTE?

Send your patches up for review: https://review.lineageos.org/

Read the guides on the LineageOS Wiki: https://wiki.lineageos.org/

Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS
    Features over Stock
    FM Radio, File-Based Encryption (which allows power-off Alarm to actually work and no annoying PIN prompt half-ways through boot), QTI Bluetooth stack

KNOWN BUGS
    • ViLTE does not work
    • 4K UHD Video recording does not work in LineageOS Snap Camera app. (A workaround is to use other camera apps like OpenCamera or Gcam Mods)
    • Touch sometimes doesn't work in Lineage Recovery. The workaround is to use the volume buttons to move around the menu and power to select or to reboot to recovery.
    • SafetyNet does not pass (Unfortunately, this is not possible as your SoC has hardware attestation... the workaround is to use unsupported mods like Magisk which tbh I haven't tried myself as I don't root my devices, but other users said that plus the SafetyNet Magisk mod works)
    Frequently Asked Questions
    • Is there a different way to unlock the bootloader than the Asus official method? You can try the unofficial bootloader unlock here
    Heyyo, a new test build is going up! It will be ready within 10 minutes of this post. lineage-19.1-20220406-UNOFFICIAL-Z01R is stable and pre-official! This is what the official builds will be like whenever 19.1 goes live (whenver that is? No idea lol). Offline charging bug is fixed and QTI bluetooth too thanks to Edward's kernel.

Heyyo @semuabaik, yes we are official now! One of 19 devices that got official builds of 19 heh (y)

You will need to manually update to official as OTA via Lineage Updater only works if you're already on an official build that is the same version. Upgrading versions must be done manually as any additions like GApps would need to be updated too.
    Heyyo @Incoherent Ian , thanks for the kind words and glad you're enjoying LOS on Z01R! :)