[DISCUSS] [POLL] Sony Ericsson Xperia Play - A Breakthrough for Android gaming?

Will the Xperia Play help Android raise the quality of Games in the future?

• Yes, more developers will start developing for Android

Votes: 50 62.5%
  • Not sure if the Xperia Play will have any effect in terms of gaming standards on Android

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • No, developers will still forget about Android and focus on iOS

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Locster126

Feb 13, 2011
LONDON
Does anyone else think that due to SE releasing an Android based "PSP" phone we will finally get to see more and more high-quality games on our android phones?

Personally I won't be buying the Xperia play but I strongly believe that due to it's release a lot more developers will jump on the android gaming bandwagon, which will then obviously benefit a range of Android phone owners (Desire HD anyone?:D)

So whats your opinion? Will the Xperia play help Android reach or even exceed the gaming quality we have seen on the Iphone? (no fart apps, in terms of 3D FPS, RPG, etc....). Will the Xperia be such a breakthrough that developers will (finally) dump iOS and develope for Android first!?

Last edited:

souljaboy

Apr 30, 2009
I really hope the games reeased on the Play will have no soft keys and all the leaching oppurtunisists will finally buy atleast the consolse

vetvito

Dec 31, 2007
No, games are coming anyways. Especially now that Nvidia has there own app/market for quality games.

vbetts

Jun 21, 2010
Toledo Ohio
No, games are coming anyways. Especially now that Nvidia has there own app/market for quality games.

Problem is Tegra Zone only works with Tegra devices. The Xperia play is built on snapdragon scorpion.

The Xperia Play will bring a different crowd in. One of the benefits of it is there will be Playstation games you can download and play, and that some games on Android are optimized for the controller. It really won't bring anything major in though, since as far as gpu goes it's not all that much faster than what we have now.

vbetts

Jun 21, 2010
Toledo Ohio
Correction-Tegra Zone is available to any device with a resolution of 480x800, and running Android 2.1.

Nov 7, 2010
I think it's brilliant. But I also call it the Emulator Phone. I'm going to rock it ASAP since no one will release a decent Bluetooth gamepad.

Sent from my Liberty using XDA App

Step666

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 13, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Yes and no.

I've tried one and it's very nice, the gameplay is surprisingly smooth.
The one clear advantage it has is the bespoke gaming controls. In that respect no other Android handset can compete.

The problem with it, as with SE in general, is the tech is behind the curve.
There are handsets being released with much more processing capability that would provide a better gaming experience if properly utilised.

If SE had made used some sort of dual-core CPU or better yet the same CPU as the NGP will use then it would undoubtedly be the cream of the crop for gaming on Android, as it is it will face stiff competition and content is likely to be the deciding factor. In that respect, SE have a slight edge as they're using Sony's existing ties with games developers to bring in exclusive titles to the Play but I would imagine that a lot of games developers will also look to bring their games to a wider market as well.
Only time will tell how successful SE's strategy will be...

silvacrest

Feb 20, 2010
Yes and no.

I've tried one and it's very nice, the gameplay is surprisingly smooth.
The one clear advantage it has is the bespoke gaming controls. In that respect no other Android handset can compete.

The problem with it, as with SE in general, is the tech is behind the curve.
There are handsets being released with much more processing capability that would provide a better gaming experience if properly utilised.

If SE had made used some sort of dual-core CPU or better yet the same CPU as the NGP will use then it would undoubtedly be the cream of the crop for gaming on Android, as it is it will face stiff competition and content is likely to be the deciding factor. In that respect, SE have a slight edge as they're using Sony's existing ties with games developers to bring in exclusive titles to the Play but I would imagine that a lot of games developers will also look to bring their games to a wider market as well.
Only time will tell how successful SE's strategy will be...

as someone on engadget said, i think the reason SE went with "lower end hardware" is because they wanted the lowest common denominator for the PS suite games, if the PS suite games are built around the play's processor/GPU it should mean higher end phones can run the games without issue

Step666

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 13, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
as someone on engadget said, i think the reason SE went with "lower end hardware" is because they wanted the lowest common denominator for the PS suite games, if the PS suite games are built around the play's processor/GPU it should mean higher end phones can run the games without issue
Given their clearly-stated intention to restrict compatibility to a small range of 'certified' handsets, that point is moot IMO.
They could easily have used higher-spec hardware themselves and only certified equally high-spec handsets.

As it stands, the Play aside, the only phones that will definitely be able to play the Playstation branded games are Tegra2 handsets, which are definitely better specced than the Play.

MJ_QaT

Feb 25, 2009
London
Those are 10 games out the 50 that will be available... keep in mind that those games are re-designed to work with the game-pad

Link

NeoTechni

Dec 6, 2010
Hamilton
sites.google.com

That was me! I said that!

Also, I voted yes cause I'm going to develop for android cause of it.
I just need to find a quick-start guide

I tried the android emulator, but its slow as hell on my PC...

Unrealwolf

Jan 10, 2007
Saint-Petersburg
Gaming on android is improving, more and more developers are starting to port their games to droids. However, it has nothing to do with Xperia Play - it's sales are very low, hardware is not good enough, etc.

Techdread

Apr 27, 2010
London
Gaming on android is improving, more and more developers are starting to port their games to droids. However, it has nothing to do with Xperia Play - it's sales are very low, hardware is not good enough, etc.

How is the hardware not good enough?

Nova 2, Cordy, Backstab, Asphalt 6 look good and pay well:).
Gingerbread flies on the Xperia Play.

Last edited:

silvacrest

Feb 20, 2010

yeah.....forgive me but i call BS, do you even have a source/link to your low sales claim?

as for the hardware not being good enough? no one here will lie and say the play is using the highest specs available but its good enough for everything gaming related on android right now, i dont know if you have a play (but judging from your above comment, i doubt it) but coming from someone who does, its great, if your only looking at reviews/non-confirmed sales/specs and coming to a conclusion your missing out

why has no one mentioned the playstation Suite? i no its still a long way off but its coming and it will be a great source for android phones in general as well as xperia play games

Unrealwolf

Jan 10, 2007
Saint-Petersburg
yeah.....forgive me but i call BS, do you even have a source/link to your low sales claim?

Nope. I'm only considering overall enthusiasm about this phone on the internet forums. The enthusiasm is more or less non present at all. Of course, there is still a way that A LOT of people are buying it and, before they could even post on XDA, suddenly dying from an endless joy they recieve from playing those top-notch gameloft games, which all (except for, well, one) has been available for iOS for months, but i find it quite unrealistic.
Anyway, to improve the gaming situation this phone should be popular, i mean, POPULAR, like top HTC or Samsung phones are, with all their multimillion sales. And this phone is not. I suppose, it is even less desireable then it's brother Xperia Arc.

as for the hardware not being good enough? no one here will lie and say the play is using the highest specs available but its good enough for everything gaming related on android right now
Right now, this phone is outdated. Hardware is good for 2010, but now it is 2011, and there are already some exclusive games that won't even launch on a single-core CPU smartphone. And Play have to survive in this environment for at least a year. The only hope is that Sony will pay for development of a new games especially for Play.
Phone is ideal for emulators, though.

why has no one mentioned the playstation Suite? i no its still a long way off but its coming and it will be a great source for android phones in general as well as xperia play games
Yep. Let's hope that this thing will really bring something.

johnsongrantr

Aug 10, 2007
Indianapolis
this is the best thing to come to retro console emulation... ever

if you are a retro gaming hobbyist... this is the phone to get period.

I don't know how much more enthusiasm people are wanting. There aren't really any identifiable flaws with it and it has the latest and greatest of everything. I personally think this is the best phone ever.

Is it a revolution for handheld gaming in phone form? I think the idea's been done before so no... but put this up agianst a n-gage and see which one wins ;)