[DISCUSSION] Android 7.0 Nougat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

khanvict90

Dec 30, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge: February 13, 2017 (Update Received)
Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge: February 24, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Note 5: March 6, 2017
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus: March 13, 2017
Samsung Galaxy A8 / A3 (2016): April 24, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (T818): May 15, 2017
Samsung Galaxy A5 / A7 / A8 (2016): May 22, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (T817): May 23, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Tab (P580): July 13, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Taba (T587): July 19, 2017
Samsung Galaxy A3 / A5 / A7 (2017): July 24, 2017
Samsung Galaxy J7 (2016): July 31, 2017
Samsung Galaxy J7 (2015): August 28, 2017
Samsung Galaxy J5 (2016): September 18, 2017
Samsung Galaxy J5 (2015): October 1, 2017
Samsung Galaxy On7: October 31, 2017

Samsung officially responded to this. According to the information provided, the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 will unfortunately not receive the Android Nougat update. It should be noted here that Samsung has made a special campaign for the S5 and Note 4 owners to pass on to the next generation of devices, while the tests show that their performance for Nougat is inadequate.

According to Samsung official information, the Galaxy E series and the Galaxy Alpha, the forerunner of the A series, will also not receive the Android Nougat update.

Last edited:

ikkeeuu

Feb 22, 2013
Do you find it logic if a computer manufacturer releases a computer with windows 8 after windows 10 have been released?

Windows is not like android. There is one windows 10 version that runs on all pc's. You can't say that about android. You have nougat, then you have the manufacturer's view on nougat (like LG or Samsung), then you have the telecom companies view on nougat (like T-mobile). It's far more complicated on androids side. So that is not a good example to be honest. This is just how android is. I dont like it either.

Ios has a much better update policy, but that is not possible on android i think, because of the countless phones that run on android.

halloo7

May 7, 2015
Some people are saying that Galaxy A5 (2015) will get Nougat too. If this happens, Samsung would have released 3 big updates for that phone... maybe they're changing their update polity now. It would be great if S6 would get 3 ; instaed of 2 big updates too

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

I mean I know S6 is going to get Nougat - I mean it would be great if S6 would get the next version of Android too

khanvict90

Dec 30, 2010
Some people are saying that Galaxy A5 (2015) will get Nougat too. If this happens, Samsung would have released 3 big updates for that phone... maybe they're changing their update polity now. It would be great if S6 would get 3 ; instaed of 2 big updates too

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

I mean I know S6 is going to get Nougat - I mean it would be great if S6 would get the next version of Android too

Samsung officially responded to this. According to the information provided, the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 will unfortunately not receive the Android Nougat update. It should be noted here that Samsung has made a special campaign for the S5 and Note 4 owners to pass on to the next generation of devices, while the tests show that their performance for Nougat is inadequate.

According to Samsung official information, the Galaxy E series and the Galaxy Alpha, the forerunner of the A series, will also not receive the Android Nougat update.

blairo_1226

Oct 27, 2011
Windows is not like android. There is one windows 10 version that runs on all pc's. You can't say that about android. You have nougat, then you have the manufacturer's view on nougat (like LG or Samsung), then you have the telecom companies view on nougat (like T-mobile). It's far more complicated on androids side. So that is not a good example to be honest. This is just how android is. I dont like it either.

Ios has a much better update policy, but that is not possible on android i think, because of the countless phones that run on android.

I don't get your point, pc build are made from a bunch of random parts put together. They get supported by Microsoft all the way. Phone builders should get, like pc, some rules of compatibility (ATX like) ine the hardware vs libraries they use..

sofir786

Feb 10, 2009
Birmingham
I don't get your point, pc build are made from a bunch of random parts put together. They get supported by Microsoft all the way. Phone builders should get, like pc, some rules of compatibility (ATX like) ine the hardware vs libraries they use..
It's because windows architecture is completly different to android, you can't really apply one thing from one os to another, things will not work.

Linkyop

Oct 29, 2016
Gorzów Wielkopolski

Source?

sorinm

Sep 13, 2004

Iphone models have infinite smaller hardware diversity than android phones and for this is easier to have timely updates.
Where Samsung is doing it wrong is in the operators/providers versions. They should not bow to the pressure and just do only one model/one update. The average end user is not using Odin to flash the last country/version released. You can be delayed even 6 months just because your operator is not providing you the latest release or not getting it at all.

ikkeeuu

Feb 22, 2013

Yes, that would be nice! However smartphone manufacterers are not going to want it. The thing that stands out are the hardware AND software. If all manufacturers have the same software, the only thing that would stand out is hardware. All functions throughout all devices would be the same. Some lower powered devices wouldn't run well with some features, so the user wouldn't be happy. And also, why would people buy the flagships if they can have all features on a lower priced device? Reality is far more complicated.

blairo_1226

Oct 27, 2011
Yes, that would be nice! However smartphone manufacterers are not going to want it. The thing that stands out are the hardware AND software. If all manufacturers have the same software, the only thing that would stand out is hardware. All functions throughout all devices would be the same. Some lower powered devices wouldn't run well with some features, so the user wouldn't be happy. And also, why would people buy the flagships if they can have all features on a lower priced device? Reality is far more complicated.
I learned pc architecture and I'm aware of the complexity of compatibility of all hardwares in devices. You said it, hardware will be the only differentiator between builders, but that's not what they're supposed to do, make competitions between them to take the big market? I wish a world full of barbones self build phone to install the packages I need and that's it.

In other subject, "Android is another world, u can't compare to pc", I said " Do you know on what Android in based to be an OS?" Linux! My friend, Linux is based on Unix and it is fully related to a server based big system. Everything is possible, everything can be achieved and improved. You don't have to defend big capitalist cies that only road map on profits.

ikkeeuu

Feb 22, 2013
I learned pc architecture and I'm aware of the complexity of compatibility of all hardwares in devices. You said it, hardware will be the only differentiator between builders, but that's not what they're supposed to do, make competitions between them to take the big market? I wish a world full of barbones self build phone to install the packages I need and that's it.

In other subject, "Android is another world, u can't compare to pc", I said " Do you know on what Android in based to be an OS?" Linux! My friend, Linux is based on Unix and it is fully related to a server based big system. Everything is possible, everything can be achieved and improved. You don't have to defend big capitalist cies that only road map on profits.

I don't defend them, I'm thinking as if I am the head of one ;). Also, your ideas are awesome, but not sustainable. Project ara is an example of modularity on the level of hardware. And this project has been suspended by google. I think modularity on the level of software would have the same fate unfortunatly.

Reactions: blairo_1226

blairo_1226

Oct 27, 2011
I don't defend them, I'm thinking as if I am the head of one ;). Also, your ideas are awesome, but not sustainable. Project ara is an example of modularity on the level of hardware. And this project has been suspended by google. I think modularity on the level of software would have the same fate unfortunatly.
Let me dream fellow realist :)

Off topic : ON. I want to share you something, my old s2 on cyanogen mod 13. I will keep this phone until the car passed away. The proof than an old flagship doesn't worth to be throw in the trashes ;) have a nice day, regards.

Attachments

• 20170216_123133.jpg
    20170216_123133.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 572

ikkeeuu

Feb 22, 2013
Let me dream fellow realist :)

Off topic : ON. I want to share you something, my old s2 on cyanogen mod 13. I will keep this phone until the car passed away. The proof than an old flagship doesn't worth to be throw in the trashes ;) have a nice day, regards.

I like that placement alot!! :D Bringing me on ideas.

Thanks for the healthy discussion. Almost all the time the person is discussing to be right. This time, it was a nice exchange of ideas. Thanks :)

Reactions: blairo_1226
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Samsung Turkey vice president shared an image on Twitter regarding details on updates, I can't share outside links because I have less than 10 posts but I'll explain to you what he wrote;

So to translate, only post S7 models will get AOD because, after conducting severel tests, S6 and Note 5 are deemed not to be doing well in terms of battery performance. He says S7 has a chip on motherboard specially designed for handling AOD tasks which S6 and Note 5 lack, and because of that putting AOD on these models would drain so much battery that end users would feel dissatisfied. AOD won't be optional either. Also he says that tests for S5 and Note 4 for Nougat were underway but ultimately cancelled because of below-expected performance issues on both devices. Lastly, S6 and S6 egde are reported to get nougat 24 February, 10 days from now, Note 5 on 6th of March and S6 Edge+ on 13 March. Other dates are on the graph. Feel free to ask for any translation, I'll be glad to help.

Of course these dates are for Turkey only, but once they're available in Turkey and the firmwares surface on the web you can most probably flash them onto your devices as well.
    Half of people on this thread are focused on, probably, the least useful feature - AOD.

Switching to google smartphones when my 6s dead

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Samsung's policy is the same for years. Why you buy a Samsung?
    Guys i just came over to say goodbye to you all! I finally sold my s6 and bought a nexus 6P :D I feel like I'm in heaven lol it's so f*ckin smooth and quick. Good luck with the s6 and keep waiting for nougat :D maybe one day you'll get it hehe
    haha, it's like exchanging an apple for a watermelon :d
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone