[ Discussion ] Battery life thread.

Search This thread

Imotep95

Sep 14, 2012
Belgrade
OOs 5.0
4G most of the day, wifi later at night home. Looks good to me. Screenshot_20171124-171601.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Before you start looking for replacement phone/battery and such, I would recommend to flash a clean rom (preferably an official one with stock kernel and proper firmware) and live with just the bare set of included apps for couple of days monitoring the battery stats. In most cases you would find that the battery is just fine.
    In my little research, I found that many apps/configurations/incompatibilities of some sort can really eat up all the juice vary fast. That would be a software issue. Checkout attached images. That's over 3.5 days on battery, 5.5h sot and 40min calls. That's a light use, but result is still very good. In this scenario it is not a fresh installation, location is on all the time, sync is on, no battery saver mode or any tricks, but I have frozen most of the social apps (FB messenger, viber, skype, whatsapp) and some other apps. The problem was that earlier, my battery was being eaten way too fast. Phone had poor deep sleep, too much idle use etc. Cause of the issues is way too difficult to pin point exactly in my experience. I have tried BBS, and Wakelock detector. There was no way to see the cause, so I started playing the elimination game. Many apps I froze using Titanium Backup and checked the progress. Got very good result and I'm currently in the process of unfreezing stuff very slowly. Right now I'm testing Netflix and have a suspicion that there could be a bit of an issue there. If app is installed, it doesn't cause a problem, but when I cast a movie/show to chromecast, it maybe doesn't end session well. I noticed that sometimes I get a battery drain after watching. For now it is just a theory and stuff might get fixed with updates. My suggestion is to make a thread with "possible" broken/problematic apps that are suspected of causing issues, listing rom, kernel and observations. If enough reports are collected, it could be easy to avoid the issue and for developer to fix the problem. I'm not frequent enough on the forums to maintain such thread, but I think it would be very helpful if someone wants to do get it going starting with the most popular apps.

I think that Doze is doing a piss poor job at keeping "bad" apps in line. Some apps are either not optimized correctly or have some incompatibilities that cause the drains. Function calls done through google play services prevent user from tracking down the offender. I remember in time of lollipop it was pretty easy to figure out what caused problems by looking at number of wakelocks from the apps and stoping it. Now it became too difficult to figure out using available tools/stats.

If anyone is interested, my setup: SultanXDA Lineage OS 14.1 (June 7, 2017 - not the latest), sultan's kernel that comes with rom, Magisk 12 in core mode. No optimizations of any kind other than some frozen apps.
    Mostly used Web browser, Tapatalk, YouTube, digg reader. Also spotify, few minutes of calls on speakerphone, twitter Facebook, messenger.
    Achieved a new personal record - 9h 24m :victory: Light usage - mostly light gaming (card games, Atomas, Temple Run ...), some text messages, no WiFi, only GSM network, screen on auto brightness (slider at 30%) indoors, battery saver kicks in at 5% so it's basically negligible.
    Was using the phone until it died, then charged it while off and took screenshots right after it turned on.

Sent from my OnePlus3 using XDA Labs
    charge anytime it falls below 50% ?? what kind of logic is that and ? Do you have any facts/articles to support it or just making your theory?

Absolutely. It's quite technical but by all means you should study up on battery tech.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, the depth of discharge (DoD) determines the cycle count of the battery. The smaller the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine. There is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life. The exception may be a periodic calibration of the fuel gauge on a smart battery or intelligent device. (See BU-603: How to Calibrate a “Smart” Battery)

Here is more:
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/bu_808c_what_the_user_can_do

If you want to get extremely technical, you should NOT charge to 100% either. The optimal charge is between 50% and 80%. If you school/work right next to a plug and can charge, it's best to plug in for a bit when it reaches 50% and charge to no more than 85%. Unplug before 85%. If you keep your charging cycle like this, your battery will definitely outlast 90% of the user base out there. But it's not that practical. So my more practical advice is to charge when your phone battery to drops to 50% and let it charge to full. But if you want extreme battery life performance over the lifetime of your battery, disconnect from charger at 85% or less.

More: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/bu_808b_what_causes_li_ion_to_die

Similar to an EV, Li-ion in satellites must also endure a lifespan of 8 years and more. To achieve this, the cells are charged to only 3.90V/cell and lower. An interesting discovery was made by NASA in that Li-ion dwelling above 4.10V/cell tend to decompose due to electrolyte oxidation on the cathode, while those charged to lower voltages lose capacity due to the SEI buildup on the anode.

NASA reports that once Li-ion passes the 8 year mark after having delivered about 40,000 cycles in a satellite, cell deterioration caused by this phenomenon progresses quickly. Charging to 3.92V/cell appears to provide the best compromise in term of maximum longevity, but this reduces the capacity to only about 60 percent. (See BU-808: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries)

The talk of % is really for lay-people. In the battery industry, it's all about the voltage. Charge your phone to 3.9V, not 4.2V or 4.3V for optimal long run battery life.
    Really happy with how doze kicks in. Device deep sleeps so well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using XDA-Developers mobile app
    4a3eb4b344bdbfb6dc5e8719147fd088.jpg
    31d51364e2c82bd8e1fd691891085a1b.jpg
    f5b56f512bf85faded810875fe81100d.jpg