[ Discussion ] Battery life thread.

Search This thread

lucci_x

Apr 30, 2014
Hi, anyone knows where can I get a original battery of OP3?
Right now I get 2-2:30 SOT...

When I bought it I remember 5-5:30 SOT isn't even a year and the capacity now is less than half...
This has nothing to do with the battery itself. It's due to bad software optimisation. Wait for an update to fix it. There a a few easy steps that help to improve the battery life in the meantime.
Replace Facebook App with friendly and Chrome App with Brave browser.

Masteryates

Apr 30, 2013
London
This has nothing to do with the battery itself. It's due to bad software optimisation. Wait for an update to fix it. There a a few easy steps that help to improve the battery life in the meantime.
Replace Facebook App with friendly and Chrome App with Brave browser.

I've had a similar experience with my OP3 and my Galaxy Tab S2. I've came to the conclusion that Android 7 isn't as good for battery as 6 was. Seems too much of a coincidence that both devices are now running 7 and both have far worse battery. :crying:

TNSMANI

Senior Moderator / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
OnePlus 9 Pro
I've had a similar experience with my OP3 and my Galaxy Tab S2. I've came to the conclusion that Android 7 isn't as good for battery as 6 was. Seems too much of a coincidence that both devices are now running 7 and both have far worse battery. :crying:
I also had the same issue (battery draining faster in 7 than in 6) and went back to 6 for some time. But I found Vertex OS and haven't looked back since. Fantastic battery on 7 but the ROM doesn't have many features, though very fast and smooth. If you would rather have battery than features on 7, go for it.

Droff

Dec 7, 2010
Before you start looking for replacement phone/battery and such, I would recommend to flash a clean rom (preferably an official one with stock kernel and proper firmware) and live with just the bare set of included apps for couple of days monitoring the battery stats. In most cases you would find that the battery is just fine.
In my little research, I found that many apps/configurations/incompatibilities of some sort can really eat up all the juice vary fast. That would be a software issue. Checkout attached images. That's over 3.5 days on battery, 5.5h sot and 40min calls. That's a light use, but result is still very good. In this scenario it is not a fresh installation, location is on all the time, sync is on, no battery saver mode or any tricks, but I have frozen most of the social apps (FB messenger, viber, skype, whatsapp) and some other apps. The problem was that earlier, my battery was being eaten way too fast. Phone had poor deep sleep, too much idle use etc. Cause of the issues is way too difficult to pin point exactly in my experience. I have tried BBS, and Wakelock detector. There was no way to see the cause, so I started playing the elimination game. Many apps I froze using Titanium Backup and checked the progress. Got very good result and I'm currently in the process of unfreezing stuff very slowly. Right now I'm testing Netflix and have a suspicion that there could be a bit of an issue there. If app is installed, it doesn't cause a problem, but when I cast a movie/show to chromecast, it maybe doesn't end session well. I noticed that sometimes I get a battery drain after watching. For now it is just a theory and stuff might get fixed with updates. My suggestion is to make a thread with "possible" broken/problematic apps that are suspected of causing issues, listing rom, kernel and observations. If enough reports are collected, it could be easy to avoid the issue and for developer to fix the problem. I'm not frequent enough on the forums to maintain such thread, but I think it would be very helpful if someone wants to do get it going starting with the most popular apps.

I think that Doze is doing a piss poor job at keeping "bad" apps in line. Some apps are either not optimized correctly or have some incompatibilities that cause the drains. Function calls done through google play services prevent user from tracking down the offender. I remember in time of lollipop it was pretty easy to figure out what caused problems by looking at number of wakelocks from the apps and stoping it. Now it became too difficult to figure out using available tools/stats.

If anyone is interested, my setup: SultanXDA Lineage OS 14.1 (June 7, 2017 - not the latest), sultan's kernel that comes with rom, Magisk 12 in core mode. No optimizations of any kind other than some frozen apps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170616-065853.png
    Screenshot_20170616-065853.png
    224.6 KB · Views: 725
  • Screenshot_20170616-065908.png
    Screenshot_20170616-065908.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 726
  • Screenshot_20170615-094402.png
    Screenshot_20170615-094402.png
    221.8 KB · Views: 719
  • Screenshot_20170615-094423.png
    Screenshot_20170615-094423.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 686

bragih

Feb 19, 2008
Before you start looking for replacement phone/battery and such, I would recommend to flash a clean rom (preferably an official one with stock kernel and proper firmware) and live with just the bare set of included apps for couple of days monitoring the battery stats. In most cases you would find that the battery is just fine.
In my little research, I found that many apps/configurations/incompatibilities of some sort can really eat up all the juice vary fast. That would be a software issue. Checkout attached images. That's over 3.5 days on battery, 5.5h sot and 40min calls. That's a light use, but result is still very good. In this scenario it is not a fresh installation, location is on all the time, sync is on, no battery saver mode or any tricks, but I have frozen most of the social apps (FB messenger, viber, skype, whatsapp) and some other apps. The problem was that earlier, my battery was being eaten way too fast. Phone had poor deep sleep, too much idle use etc. Cause of the issues is way too difficult to pin point exactly in my experience. I have tried BBS, and Wakelock detector. There was no way to see the cause, so I started playing the elimination game. Many apps I froze using Titanium Backup and checked the progress. Got very good result and I'm currently in the process of unfreezing stuff very slowly. Right now I'm testing Netflix and have a suspicion that there could be a bit of an issue there. If app is installed, it doesn't cause a problem, but when I cast a movie/show to chromecast, it maybe doesn't end session well. I noticed that sometimes I get a battery drain after watching. For now it is just a theory and stuff might get fixed with updates. My suggestion is to make a thread with "possible" broken/problematic apps that are suspected of causing issues, listing rom, kernel and observations. If enough reports are collected, it could be easy to avoid the issue and for developer to fix the problem. I'm not frequent enough on the forums to maintain such thread, but I think it would be very helpful if someone wants to do get it going starting with the most popular apps.

I think that Doze is doing a piss poor job at keeping "bad" apps in line. Some apps are either not optimized correctly or have some incompatibilities that cause the drains. Function calls done through google play services prevent user from tracking down the offender. I remember in time of lollipop it was pretty easy to figure out what caused problems by looking at number of wakelocks from the apps and stoping it. Now it became too difficult to figure out using available tools/stats.

If anyone is interested, my setup: SultanXDA Lineage OS 14.1 (June 7, 2017 - not the latest), sultan's kernel that comes with rom, Magisk 12 in core mode. No optimizations of any kind other than some frozen apps.

Could you keep us updated? Even if you don't do so very often it would be very helpful!

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9

I have found doze itself to be a bit of an issue. Mainly now that Google set it to happen when you turn the screen off. For someone that turns there screen off and on a lot during the day will see a huge drain. Not sure what Google was thinking there.

Droff

Dec 7, 2010
Could you keep us updated? Even if you don't do so very often it would be very helpful!

OK, here is the update.
In my case I still suspect an issue related to chromecast casting. I think the issue was quite severe on SultanXDA Lineage OS 14.1 (June 7, 2017) that I was using. I noticed and sometimes I had several hours of phone being awake after casting (Netflix and some other apps). Later I have switched to Freedom OS (currently on 2.10 version). In regards to "sleeping", I think it behaves better. Even after casting sessions, it usually sleeps fine. It's not perfect though, because from time to time I do notice awake time being several times more than expected, but not as bad. This doesn't happen often and not easy for figure out. Again when checking for wakelocks, I couldn't see anything pointing to specific issue, but I still suspect casting problem. So to combat this I currently switched to "deep clear" options in recents (FreedomOS) and clear all recents once a day (sometimes once in 2-3 days). Not a perfect solution, but I do it before going to bed and fast app start up in the morning makes it sort of a fresh start that I don't mind too much. I would prefer not to clear recents, just because I think OS should be able to manage everything automatically, but I believe that "deep clear" does help to resolve issues with phone being awake when it shouldn't.

EDIT/UPDATE: Turns out that "deep clear" does too much "clearing" for my linking. I noticed that I was missing some notifications from app. Switched to "normal clear". Phone being awake after casting is still a bit of an issue (I think), but it is not as bad as it was on Lineage OS.

I restored/unfrozen pretty much all of the apps that I use. I keep frozen only apps that I use once a month or even less (for example Uber).
So far I haven't seen or been able to pinpoint any issues in following social apps: Instagram, FB Messenger, Whatsapp, Viber, Skype. I use browser for Facebook instead of an app (been doing it for a while now). I do not use Snapchat.
I'm on a fence about Tasker and profiles that I'm using. I have started using it again not long time ago and still trying to figure out if I can see any pattern related to sleep/awake time and battery performance.
As far as the ROM, with my kind of use, I think Sultan's Lineage OS 14.1 from June 7, 2017 (and supplied kernel) is a bit better optimized in terms of battery performance, but it is less consistent than Freedom OS (and stock kernel that comes with it), so I decided to stay on Freedom OS for a while. Later will try again some other kernels.
I have Magisk 12 in core mode. I believe some modules can cause issue, though I didn't test much thoroughly. Once there will be a stable release of 13, I will try several modules again. I hope my usage and awake/sleep behavior will keep being consistent enough to notice any unusual patterns.
Still hoping for lower lever solution that can more accurately pinpoint what's keeping phone awake in some cases. Until a better solution, I think statistics gathering is a best way to see what could be the problem with performance.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 AM ----------

This hardly helps, because your screen time equals awake time. Very rarely people have display on for 4 hours straight and in those cases performance solely depends on what exact app you're using during these 4 hours (for example 3D gaming vs reading a book) and screen brightness. It is fairly easy to achieve 7+ hours of SOT in 12-18 hours. Try using your phone for 2-3 days without a charge and see if you can get 5+ SOT. The more screen ON/OFF cycles you have, the more difficult it is to get a good SOT. Ideally phone would go to sleep fairly fast after screen is OFF and won't be awake often or for long, so you can use phone without a charge for a long time.

Last edited:

API182

Jul 6, 2008
Aberystwyth
I'm sure it's been asked before but...

Anyone SUCCESSFULLY put a OnePlus 3T battery in the 3 and made use of the additional capacity?

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but it doesn't feel like one considering there doesn't seem to be any concrete answers anywhere (other than from OnePlus) - OnePlus said no, it won't fit, they are different but of course they would say that wouldn't they, they don't want people going nuts as to why it didn't have the 3400mAh in the first place...

I've looked all through YouTube too thinking someone would show it being done as a tutorial type thing but I couldn't find anything!

Anyone?

Againstt

Apr 10, 2017
Linköping
I'm sure it's been asked before but...

Anyone SUCCESSFULLY put a OnePlus 3T battery in the 3 and made use of the additional capacity?

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but it doesn't feel like one considering there doesn't seem to be any concrete answers anywhere (other than from OnePlus) - OnePlus said no, it won't fit, they are different but of course they would say that wouldn't they, they don't want people going nuts as to why it didn't have the 3400mAh in the first place...

I've looked all through YouTube too thinking someone would show it being done as a tutorial type thing but I couldn't find anything!

Anyone?

IRC it was posible and then they blocked it but there might be a get around. Either way the phone just used 3000 mAh and to utilize full capacity there would have to be made new software specificly for this. I think this is where we are at right now, might be wrong though.

There is a whole thread on this over here: https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-3/accessories/placing-3400-mah-oneplus-3t-oneplus-3-t3510883

Yash Doctor

May 11, 2012
Gujarat
Hey Guys Please Check Attached Screenshot and tell me how can i calibrate my battery accubattery shows that battry capicity is 2600mah :confused: please help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170809-004929.jpg
    Screenshot_20170809-004929.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 337

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Mostly used Web browser, Tapatalk, YouTube, digg reader. Also spotify, few minutes of calls on speakerphone, twitter Facebook, messenger.
    Achieved a new personal record - 9h 24m :victory: Light usage - mostly light gaming (card games, Atomas, Temple Run ...), some text messages, no WiFi, only GSM network, screen on auto brightness (slider at 30%) indoors, battery saver kicks in at 5% so it's basically negligible.
    Was using the phone until it died, then charged it while off and took screenshots right after it turned on.

Sent from my OnePlus3 using XDA Labs
    charge anytime it falls below 50% ?? what kind of logic is that and ? Do you have any facts/articles to support it or just making your theory?

Absolutely. It's quite technical but by all means you should study up on battery tech.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, the depth of discharge (DoD) determines the cycle count of the battery. The smaller the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine. There is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life. The exception may be a periodic calibration of the fuel gauge on a smart battery or intelligent device. (See BU-603: How to Calibrate a “Smart” Battery)

Here is more:
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/bu_808c_what_the_user_can_do

If you want to get extremely technical, you should NOT charge to 100% either. The optimal charge is between 50% and 80%. If you school/work right next to a plug and can charge, it's best to plug in for a bit when it reaches 50% and charge to no more than 85%. Unplug before 85%. If you keep your charging cycle like this, your battery will definitely outlast 90% of the user base out there. But it's not that practical. So my more practical advice is to charge when your phone battery to drops to 50% and let it charge to full. But if you want extreme battery life performance over the lifetime of your battery, disconnect from charger at 85% or less.

More: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/bu_808b_what_causes_li_ion_to_die

Similar to an EV, Li-ion in satellites must also endure a lifespan of 8 years and more. To achieve this, the cells are charged to only 3.90V/cell and lower. An interesting discovery was made by NASA in that Li-ion dwelling above 4.10V/cell tend to decompose due to electrolyte oxidation on the cathode, while those charged to lower voltages lose capacity due to the SEI buildup on the anode.

NASA reports that once Li-ion passes the 8 year mark after having delivered about 40,000 cycles in a satellite, cell deterioration caused by this phenomenon progresses quickly. Charging to 3.92V/cell appears to provide the best compromise in term of maximum longevity, but this reduces the capacity to only about 60 percent. (See BU-808: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries)

The talk of % is really for lay-people. In the battery industry, it's all about the voltage. Charge your phone to 3.9V, not 4.2V or 4.3V for optimal long run battery life.
    Really happy with how doze kicks in. Device deep sleeps so well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using XDA-Developers mobile app
    4a3eb4b344bdbfb6dc5e8719147fd088.jpg
    31d51364e2c82bd8e1fd691891085a1b.jpg
    f5b56f512bf85faded810875fe81100d.jpg