[Discussion] Do we really need an antivirus app on android? Attention required.

Search This thread

ShadowLea

Dec 3, 2010
Enschede, The Netherlands
www.aquilasol.com
Only download from the Play store, and people you trust online. If you plan to pirate an app (a paid version for free) which is illegal you will likely get a virus from it. So do not pirate apps and you should be good. Check reviews for a new app on the play store, Google might not of detected it yet.

That's pointless fear mongering. Which hasn't been an effective anti-piracy method since humans grew brains

Piracy only has a (virus) risk of you are a complete and utter moron. (I ought to know, our whole country does it. We even have a law that makes it legal.)

I'm not advertising piracy, quite the contrary. If you like an app, buy it!

The point simply is that there are countries where A, even free apps are blocked because of censorship (yes Americans, there are other countries!), and B, people can't get credit cards. Or C, your credit card doesnt support refunds. (every prepaid one!) And what choice do they have, then? How are you going to test if an app works, if the 15 minute refund does not exist? Fine for 1 euro apps, but Next Launcher is 15,95.. And it didn't work properly!

Send From My Samsung Galaxy S3 Using Tapatalk 2

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
That's pointless fear mongering. Which hasn't been an effective anti-piracy method since humans grew brains

Piracy only has a (virus) risk of you are a complete and utter moron. (I ought to know, our whole country does it. We even have a law that makes it legal.)

I'm not advertising piracy, quite the contrary. If you like an app, buy it!

The point simply is that there are countries where A, even free apps are blocked because of censorship (yes Americans, there are other countries!), and B, people can't get credit cards. Or C, your credit card doesnt support refunds. (every prepaid one!) And what choice do they have, then? How are you going to test if an app works, if the 15 minute refund does not exist? Fine for 1 euro apps, but Next Launcher is 15,95.. And it didn't work properly!

Send From My Samsung Galaxy S3 Using Tapatalk 2

No it is not completely. It has been found that alot of pirated apps have included things like keyloggers and data miners. Also it maybe coming that it may not be an option to pirate apps soon as I am seeing more and more paid apps use encrypted asec files instead of apks to prevent redistribution and editing, so there is not even an apk to share.

U

Username invalid

I don't like my settings and files/folders being messed up. That's why I prefer to flash everything myself manually instead of using ROM Manager, GooManager, etc. And system care apps that claim to increase performance, battery, wifi, etc.

Last edited:

Jaistah

May 12, 2013
No it is not completely. It has been found that alot of pirated apps have included things like keyloggers and data miners. Also it maybe coming that it may not be an option to pirate apps soon as I am seeing more and more paid apps use encrypted asec files instead of apks to prevent redistribution and editing, so there is not even an apk to share.

CRACK APPS may contain malwares or adwares but before you install it, your phone actually ask permission to install it and from there you can distinguish if its fake or not. Problem is with users who can't determine things like that. So I suggest install an anti-virus but don't auto run it. Only activate it when you are about to install something, you can do that via forcestop or greenify.

Sent from my SHV-E300L using xda premium

Reactions: XDguru

XDguru

Mar 4, 2013
Berhampur
CRACK APPS may contain malwares or adwares but before you install it, your phone actually ask permission to install it and from there you can distinguish if its fake or not. Problem is with users who can't determine things like that. So I suggest install an anti-virus but don't auto run it. Only activate it when you are about to install something, you can do that via forcestop or greenify.

Sent from my SHV-E300L using xda premium

Good suggestion.. :D

Sent from my MT11i using xda

Nov 10, 2011
Antivirus is up to you!

I've read some posts here and there, it really is a good question, in fact it's the most problematic question concerning smartphones - let me explain:

Antivirus, as we all know, is a software that is intended to protect our private data to keep them private & possibly to protects our PC (when we want the PC we want it fully functional) - in a general definition.

Antivirus got so popular because of Microsoft "coding monkeys" making stupid security gaps in the most (unfortunately) popular operation system (that is Windows of curse) widely used - will now you know how much I like Microsoft.

Maybe some users are unfamiliar with Linux distros (like Ubuntu, Fedora ...), but these operation system actually don't need any antiviral protection since the teams working behind these OSes are really (really!!) called developers! They always work hard to fix these OSes (operations systems) and make them more secure with their daily updates (and we don't pay them a $, surely not like the amount of $ spent on Microsoft) because they care about us and as they want to feel free filling their computers with private data they want us to feel free too.

The thing is, lots of people have Windows installed as their OS, and they know that antivirus is a must!! (and it's really a must - if you don't have an antivirus in your Windows, then your like Alice in Wonderland, have no idea about whats going on!), that is why when buying a smartphone (smartphone has a continuous internet connection - the "distribution center" of the viruses) they automatically feel the need for an antivirus, and maybe they are right, I bet that there are at least 20 private photos and 2 private movies and God knows what types of email and messages you send via your new smartphone! And that's not including those who actually integrate their phones as a part of their work (they are forced by law to keep any work documents in a safe places).

So, your phones are probably your life! And you need to keep your life safe!

Android is Linux based (thank God it's not Windows), you should be in a real safe hands, and I might add, that the contribution of Google to Android (and Linux) project was a Big Bang for these projects, so the acceleration in their development increased greatly - But be sure to get the updates!

I personally don't use any antivirus software, but this is because I'm deep into the ocean and I know where the sharks are hidden.
Lookout Mobile Security in “Lookout mobile threat report,” August, 2011 said:
85% of smartphones do not employ antivirus protection.
15% of smartphone users that did employ antivirus
protection, 1 in 5 had reported being infected by mobile malware​

There ARE malwares (viruses) for smartphones, don't think they don't exist, but they can't actually do a thing in Android. They are helpless, unless you give them the power to execute as they should, and by this I mean root privileges! All the rooted phones must be aware of the app they download and install in their devices, before installing an app (even if it is from Google Play Store), you should check the list of permissions carefully!! And try not to download any apps from unknown sources. And last but not least, don't EVER give any root permissions to unknown apps.

I am sure that if you follow these directions, you won't be needing any antivirus app in your smartphones, but if you suspect that your going to miss something, and you feel pretty protective for you data and smartphone, I suggest you don't take the risk and apply the needed (and proved!) protection for your device - but expect for some battery drains for it isn't a perfect solution for mobile devices.

teddydude

Mar 4, 2013
San Jose
Hey guys it's quite confusing for me. That do we really need an antivirus on android?

Please submit ur reviews.
If yes,why and which app you suggest.
If no..plese let us know why?

Devs and seniors are mostly welcome and requested..as ur the ones we trust on XDA.

I know I'm waking a dead thread here...but yes, anything connected to www is

Reactions: oziboy

ch4zzy

Jun 24, 2013
I use an antivirus and it protected me from installing some apps with annoying ads. I'm on root now and I prefer to have an av,especially that I install apps from different sources than the Play Market. Althought installing an av for a common user is pointless.

Wysłane z mojego LT22i za pomocą Tapatalk 4

Reactions: oziboy

Dabolx

Mar 18, 2013
Kaunas
I don't think that we need antivirus except for anti-theft. It just draining battery devil that doesn't help in any other way (at least these days, we don't know what will happen in future).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys it's quite confusing for me. That do we really need an antivirus on android?

Devs and seniors are mostly welcome and requested..as ur the ones we trust on XDA.

I have never used or needed one. As long as your careful then your fine.
    Antivirus is up to you!

I've read some posts here and there, it really is a good question, in fact it's the most problematic question concerning smartphones - let me explain:

Antivirus, as we all know, is a software that is intended to protect our private data to keep them private & possibly to protects our PC (when we want the PC we want it fully functional) - in a general definition.

Antivirus got so popular because of Microsoft "coding monkeys" making stupid security gaps in the most (unfortunately) popular operation system (that is Windows of curse) widely used - will now you know how much I like Microsoft.

Maybe some users are unfamiliar with Linux distros (like Ubuntu, Fedora ...), but these operation system actually don't need any antiviral protection since the teams working behind these OSes are really (really!!) called developers! They always work hard to fix these OSes (operations systems) and make them more secure with their daily updates (and we don't pay them a $, surely not like the amount of $ spent on Microsoft) because they care about us and as they want to feel free filling their computers with private data they want us to feel free too.

The thing is, lots of people have Windows installed as their OS, and they know that antivirus is a must!! (and it's really a must - if you don't have an antivirus in your Windows, then your like Alice in Wonderland, have no idea about whats going on!), that is why when buying a smartphone (smartphone has a continuous internet connection - the "distribution center" of the viruses) they automatically feel the need for an antivirus, and maybe they are right, I bet that there are at least 20 private photos and 2 private movies and God knows what types of email and messages you send via your new smartphone! And that's not including those who actually integrate their phones as a part of their work (they are forced by law to keep any work documents in a safe places).

So, your phones are probably your life! And you need to keep your life safe!

Android is Linux based (thank God it's not Windows), you should be in a real safe hands, and I might add, that the contribution of Google to Android (and Linux) project was a Big Bang for these projects, so the acceleration in their development increased greatly - But be sure to get the updates!

I personally don't use any antivirus software, but this is because I'm deep into the ocean and I know where the sharks are hidden.
    Lookout Mobile Security in “Lookout mobile threat report,” August, 2011 said:
    85% of smartphones do not employ antivirus protection.
    15% of smartphone users that did employ antivirus
    protection, 1 in 5 had reported being infected by mobile malware​

There ARE malwares (viruses) for smartphones, don't think they don't exist, but they can't actually do a thing in Android. They are helpless, unless you give them the power to execute as they should, and by this I mean root privileges! All the rooted phones must be aware of the app they download and install in their devices, before installing an app (even if it is from Google Play Store), you should check the list of permissions carefully!! And try not to download any apps from unknown sources. And last but not least, don't EVER give any root permissions to unknown apps.

I am sure that if you follow these directions, you won't be needing any antivirus app in your smartphones, but if you suspect that your going to miss something, and you feel pretty protective for you data and smartphone, I suggest you don't take the risk and apply the needed (and proved!) protection for your device - but expect for some battery drains for it isn't a perfect solution for mobile devices.
    Antdroid antivirus programs are mostly used for

1)Anti-Theft uses

2)To know any issues with settings in the phone (Faulty or unchecked settings)

3)To know which apps are using network, wifi, GPS etc through privacy advisers

4)Will block malicious websites that are suspicious.

5)Provides call/sms blockers.

6)I have seen some virus attacks for few of my friends on their android mobiles even though they had an antivirus app on them. So I don't know why it happened.

So instead of backing off from single drawback use it for several other uses it provides! (My choice Avast! For Rooted phones, it will work best)
    In my experience antivirus apps are just here to scare windows users into giving a company more money.

Sure some of them to have nice anti theft features however there are also plenty of very good (free) apps that do this like prey.

Just do not download random apk's from the internet and blindly install them and you will be fine
    Re: Do we really need an antivirus app on android? Attention required.

Just don't download garbage blindly and u should be fine

Sent from my SGH-I777 running AOKP
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone