[DISCUSSION] Doze power saving on Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100

Search This thread

Trafalgar Square

Jan 7, 2015
Düsseldorf
As discussed many times in a lot of ROM threads, Android Doze power saving comes with Android Marshmallow. But only devices, which have a low power accelerometer can use this Doze mode. Developers can enable Doze in their device tree, but it won't work, because the system can't use the old accelerometer of our Note 2.

Doze requirements

Screenshot:
d02c68ccef9bae993765a5fd4e5a7ce1.jpg

During Doze:

• Apps not allowed network access.
  • App wakelocks ignored.
  • Alarms deferred. Excludes alarm clock alarms and alarms set using setAndAllowWhileIdle() (limited to 1 per 15 minutes per app while in Doze). This exemption is intended for apps (such as Calendar) that must show event reminder notifications.
  • Wi-Fi scans not performed.
  • SyncAdapter syncs and JobScheduler jobs deferred until the next maintenance window.
  • Apps receiving SMS and MMS messages are put on a temporary whitelist so they can complete their processing.
How can I enable Doze in my device tree:
by adding the following to: overlay/frameworks/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml

• bool name="config_enableAutoPowerModes">true</bool>
Statement:

• Note 2 can't use Doze
  • There is no longer batterylife, if doze is enabled in configs
Kind regards
Trafalgar Square

Wi7dOne

Jun 3, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Hey there, sup?

Well i had to read some pages about doze and the conclusion is:

• The device must have sensors to determinate if it's really not in use.
    "That means no moving around and nudging the gyro or other motion sensors, no touching the screen or the buttons and no waving your hand around in front of motion detection and not connected to a charger".
  • The devs need to configure their apps to not abuse priority.
    "Things like phone calls or SMS messages can get through (and thus waking up your dozing phone) as well as any app that declares itself as high-priority.
    To avoid this "...high-priority notifications that aren't part of your carrier network (calls and texts) have to come through a Google Cloud Messaging server."

FYI : "...Of course, people using their phones on a network with a poor connection are still seeing battery drain while idle, because Doze doesn't stop your phone from searching for a better signal to latch onto....A very poor signal will still kill your battery"

Please dont get me wrong...i can do paraphrase what i read, but to make me understandable in english i prefered to quote parts of a good article from here.
I read others articles from different sources but most was about ways for devs to match/check their apps behavior for Doze mode. Like this.

I didnt test anything..but looks like that doze just need to know that your device is really idle regardless "this sensor or that sensor"...if your device can enter in iddle..it can be "dozed".
..."A device enters Doze when the user leaves it unplugged and stationary for a period of time and with the screen off...

Best Regards
Wi7dOne (just a newbie ^^).:D

Last edited:

Mixermachine

Jan 5, 2011
Munich
Strange...
It felt like Doze saved battery on my Note 2 for me after I tweaked it...
I disabled the motion detection completely and send it to sleep after 3 minutes of idle.
Wake up was allowed every 20 minutes

Edit:
... oh my...
About 3 hours ago my Note 2 froze.
I held down the power button and it turned off.
Now it does not turn on.
Even if I connect the charger.

Seems to be a sudden death :(

Last edited:

Wi7dOne

Jun 3, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Strange...
It felt like Doze saved battery on my Note 2 for me after I tweaked it...
I disabled the motion detection completely and send it to sleep after 3 minutes of idle.
Wake up was allowed every 20 minutes

Edit:
... oh my...
About 3 hours ago my Note 2 froze.
I held down the power button and it turned off.
Now it does not turn on.
Even if I connect the charger.

Seems to be a sudden death :(
I hope you can bring it back.
:fingers-crossed:

nishadhot1

Jun 21, 2009
Doesn't seems possible...
I charged it over night and measurde the voltage of the battery directly.
4,2V
So it should work.
The power button should also work.
I reseted my phone with it...
What else can I do???

(sorry for the offtopic)
This has once happened to me, I connected the battery from another note2 and phone sprung back to life.

I had to charge my battery in another phone, and my battery was charging again.

Good Luck Mate!!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Wi7dOne

Jun 3, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Doesn't seems possible...
I charged it over night and measurde the voltage of the battery directly.
4,2V
So it should work.
The power button should also work.
I reseted my phone with it...
What else can I do???

(sorry for the offtopic)

Well..u tried to reinstall stock 4.4.2 ROM from sammy with Odin? If u can put the phone in download mode, maybe u can bring it back.:rolleyes:

Wi7dOne

Jun 3, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Well well...i wish i could say that doze dont works..but hey! Look this...

nv0OHHV.jpg

Look at my Screen ON (Tela Ativada ) state while doze....

:cool:

Update: Sleeping time (1 AM to 9 AM).

0055e626e1.jpg

00609eac93.jpg

Last edited:

Mixermachine

Jan 5, 2011
Munich
Well..u tried to reinstall stock 4.4.2 ROM from sammy with Odin? If u can put the phone in download mode, maybe u can bring it back.:rolleyes:

The Note is dead :/
Even if I plug it to the power adapter. Nothing.
Nö download mode.

The battery is fully charged.
I switched the battery with an other one. Still nothing.

Bought a Note 4. Still thinking about my good old Note 2 (I flashed nearly everything on it...)

Mixermachine

Jan 5, 2011
Munich
Well at last you have a new (and nice) pocket assistent ^^.
Yes the Note 4 is nice :), but I think I paid to much for it...
460 Euro via Amazon Germany.
Note 5 is not available in Germany, so the Note 4 is more expensive here.

The Note 2 of my cousin also died last week.
I tried to flash TWRP but it constantly gives me failes.
The stock recovery also fails.

To the Note 2 users out there:
Do your backup!

edge master

Feb 12, 2013
Dude i have one way to resurrect it.
1. Twrp
2. Format all the internal memory.
(i am pretty sure that s.th has gone wrong with the memory)
3. Of the memory hasn't been fixed. Change the memory hardware.
Thank me later. Try it now then let me know

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As discussed many times in a lot of ROM threads, Android Doze power saving comes with Android Marshmallow. But only devices, which have a low power accelerometer can use this Doze mode. Developers can enable Doze in their device tree, but it won't work, because the system can't use the old accelerometer of our Note 2.

Doze requirements

Screenshot:
    d02c68ccef9bae993765a5fd4e5a7ce1.jpg

During Doze:

• Apps not allowed network access.
    • App wakelocks ignored.
    • Alarms deferred. Excludes alarm clock alarms and alarms set using setAndAllowWhileIdle() (limited to 1 per 15 minutes per app while in Doze). This exemption is intended for apps (such as Calendar) that must show event reminder notifications.
    • Wi-Fi scans not performed.
    • SyncAdapter syncs and JobScheduler jobs deferred until the next maintenance window.
    • Apps receiving SMS and MMS messages are put on a temporary whitelist so they can complete their processing.
    How can I enable Doze in my device tree:
    by adding the following to: overlay/frameworks/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml

• bool name="config_enableAutoPowerModes">true</bool>
    Statement:

• Note 2 can't use Doze
    • There is no longer batterylife, if doze is enabled in configs
    Kind regards
    Trafalgar Square

Hey there, sup?

Well i had to read some pages about doze and the conclusion is:

• The device must have sensors to determinate if it's really not in use.
      "That means no moving around and nudging the gyro or other motion sensors, no touching the screen or the buttons and no waving your hand around in front of motion detection and not connected to a charger".
    • The devs need to configure their apps to not abuse priority.
      "Things like phone calls or SMS messages can get through (and thus waking up your dozing phone) as well as any app that declares itself as high-priority.
      To avoid this "...high-priority notifications that aren't part of your carrier network (calls and texts) have to come through a Google Cloud Messaging server."

FYI : "...Of course, people using their phones on a network with a poor connection are still seeing battery drain while idle, because Doze doesn't stop your phone from searching for a better signal to latch onto....A very poor signal will still kill your battery"

Please dont get me wrong...i can do paraphrase what i read, but to make me understandable in english i prefered to quote parts of a good article from here.
    I read others articles from different sources but most was about ways for devs to match/check their apps behavior for Doze mode. Like this.

I didnt test anything..but looks like that doze just need to know that your device is really idle regardless "this sensor or that sensor"...if your device can enter in iddle..it can be "dozed".
    ..."A device enters Doze when the user leaves it unplugged and stationary for a period of time and with the screen off...

Best Regards
    Wi7dOne (just a newbie ^^).:D