[DISCUSSION] Fastboot on MTK

Search This thread

aureljared

May 2, 2013
dantis.me
Redmi Note 11
So I just revived my brother's dead S4 clone earlier today, and until now I am still flummoxed by how I did it.

It was an S4 from a company called Shengda, running JB 4.2.2 over a 3.4.5 kernel and a baseband that calls itself 'MOLY.WR8.W1315.MD.WG.MP.V1.P8, 2013/07/12 16:41'.

The phone started bootlooping when I changed the Dalvik heap size from 128m to 64m, which seemed to upset the VM as early-boot logs indicate it complaining about a bad heap size.
So naturally I tried to push a fixed build.prop thru ADB, but then I remembered I hadn't approved ADB su requests on the phone before.

I then tried reflashing Android (yes, I was sane enough to take a backup before, thank God) using multiple versions of SP Flash Tool to no avail. It would just slap me with errors, which I can't find fixes for from Googling.

Then I tried recovery, but to nobody's surprise, the phone was using 3e. So no dice on third-party ROMs.

Convinced it was a hopeless case, I decided to just play around with it since I thought there wasn't anything else to lose.

I used ADB to reboot into the bootloader, expecting it to just do a normal boot. @bgcngm himself said this:

3e4emysa.jpg

So you could imagine my surprise when I saw the words "fastboot mode" at the bottom of the screen. I was like, "Impossible!" But there it was, staring at me amidst a black screen.

With euphoria washing over me, I tried "fastboot flash system system.img" with the prepared image I was gonna use for SPFT. Believe it or not, it worked - everything was intact when I rebooted, except for the loss of root. (Still a piece of cake to root.)

So now my question is, who else has seen Fastboot on their MTK device?

Would appreciate it if anyone else chimed in. :thumbsup:

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: chris8189

uboc

Jan 28, 2010
How to use your method on MT6572 S4 clone device if device cannot open, dont go in cwm and only see usb mtk/preloader etc.?

puduraja

Jun 11, 2012
Chennai, India
I have used the fastboot directly to install cwm recovery and boot.img in 6589 Micromax A210
I have ported that in one of my custom Rom port

Sent from my Spice Mi-535

Reactions: aureljared

trevh

Oct 21, 2010
Perth
fastboot is on Elephone P7000 (MTK MT6752 8-core)

My Elephone P7000 definitely has fastboot, but not all of the commands that I have on my Nexus 5. For example fastboot boot recovery recovery.img doesn't work. fastboot devices, flash, etc commands work but I could not load a temporary (ram only) custom recovery from fastboot, like I can on the Nexus 5.Rather a pity, really ... all that 3gb ram and can't use it from fastboot in this instance.

Anyone have any clues whether an update / cutomization is available for the MTK fastboot?

aureljared

May 2, 2013
dantis.me
Redmi Note 11
My Elephone P7000 definitely has fastboot, but not all of the commands that I have on my Nexus 5. For example fastboot boot recovery recovery.img doesn't work. fastboot devices, flash, etc commands work but I could not load a temporary (ram only) custom recovery from fastboot, like I can on the Nexus 5.Rather a pity, really ... all that 3gb ram and can't use it from fastboot in this instance.

Anyone have any clues whether an update / cutomization is available for the MTK fastboot?

Not sure about this, as my MTK device boots from RAM just fine. Maybe you have to unlock bootloader first? I don't know if that will brick your phone, so I don't recommend you do it.

ranchu-panchu

Nov 16, 2016
I have issue with fastboot which get hangs on erasing. Can't it work with mediatek 6572 ?

C:\Users\ransh>fastboot devices
0123456789ABCDEF fastboot

C:\Users\ransh>fastboot flash system system.img
target didn't report max-download-size
erasing 'system'...

And now nothing. It hangs...

Is it the same issue as you've mentioned here ?

Thanks, Ran

Akhil99

Oct 6, 2015
Mysore
Hell yeah...i have fastboot on my mt6582 device! I entered fastboot today while playing around with the vol & power keys.
It Enters Fastboot mode!!! Fastboot On an MTK!!!!!!!!!!!:confused::laugh:

wilk.gr76

Apr 2, 2015
This is quite a bump, but both my MTK devices have fastboot - I have a Lenovo Tab 3 7" Essential (aka TB3-710F) and a ZTE Blade V6 (aka T660). Both have fastboot, but I can't use "fastboot boot" on my ZTE. I haven't tried on my Lenovo.

Reactions: teeve

pradeep kuswaha

Aug 29, 2017
lenovos650

hi, can you please help me how to conenect mtk6582 in fastboot mode . i want to install a custom recovery using fastboot mode
in my lenovo s650 plz help me ......

Matty1993

May 7, 2018
I have issue with fastboot which get hangs on erasing. Can't it work with mediatek 6572 ?

C:\Users\ransh>fastboot devices
0123456789ABCDEF fastboot

C:\Users\ransh>fastboot flash system system.img
target didn't report max-download-size
erasing 'system'...

And now nothing. It hangs...

Is it the same issue as you've mentioned here ?

Thanks, Ran

Hey mate i know its an old post but i noticed your devices serial number was 0123456789ABCDEF is your device an R11 max MT6572_NAND by any chance is it ? :)

If so do you have a security backup at all for it as all R11 Use the same imei 3582089****6228 and serial 0123456789ABCDEF ive lost my radios :crying: imei is still there and is listed as working but not appearing and no sim card showing also deleted the only working backup i had that worked all the previous times,

Ive built a super smooth and really nice rom for it but all i need now is the security backup as ive got no radios in it and its done :(

sorry if not lol

tegnkush

Oct 1, 2015
Who ever you are, i don't care how old this thread is, I LOVE YOU. I've been trying to do this for literally ONE YEAR. THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I just revived my brother's dead S4 clone earlier today, and until now I am still flummoxed by how I did it.

It was an S4 from a company called Shengda, running JB 4.2.2 over a 3.4.5 kernel and a baseband that calls itself 'MOLY.WR8.W1315.MD.WG.MP.V1.P8, 2013/07/12 16:41'.

The phone started bootlooping when I changed the Dalvik heap size from 128m to 64m, which seemed to upset the VM as early-boot logs indicate it complaining about a bad heap size.
    So naturally I tried to push a fixed build.prop thru ADB, but then I remembered I hadn't approved ADB su requests on the phone before.

I then tried reflashing Android (yes, I was sane enough to take a backup before, thank God) using multiple versions of SP Flash Tool to no avail. It would just slap me with errors, which I can't find fixes for from Googling.

Then I tried recovery, but to nobody's surprise, the phone was using 3e. So no dice on third-party ROMs.

Convinced it was a hopeless case, I decided to just play around with it since I thought there wasn't anything else to lose.

I used ADB to reboot into the bootloader, expecting it to just do a normal boot. @bgcngm himself said this:

3e4emysa.jpg

So you could imagine my surprise when I saw the words "fastboot mode" at the bottom of the screen. I was like, "Impossible!" But there it was, staring at me amidst a black screen.

With euphoria washing over me, I tried "fastboot flash system system.img" with the prepared image I was gonna use for SPFT. Believe it or not, it worked - everything was intact when I rebooted, except for the loss of root. (Still a piece of cake to root.)

So now my question is, who else has seen Fastboot on their MTK device?

Would appreciate it if anyone else chimed in. :thumbsup:

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk
    I have used the fastboot directly to install cwm recovery and boot.img in 6589 Micromax A210
    I have ported that in one of my custom Rom port

Sent from my Spice Mi-535
    This is quite a bump, but both my MTK devices have fastboot - I have a Lenovo Tab 3 7" Essential (aka TB3-710F) and a ZTE Blade V6 (aka T660). Both have fastboot, but I can't use "fastboot boot" on my ZTE. I haven't tried on my Lenovo.
    how did you do it? I just can't!
    plug in USB charging cable simultaneously pressing power & vol.down keys.:D