[Discussion] Favourite rom and why?

Search This thread

tonni3

Mar 20, 2017
Is downgrade Oreo -> Nougat possible?

I'd like some cool features of custom roms, but I also like some cool bloatwire from Hydrogen OS, like magic parsing of SMS authorisation and built-in apps for banks and such.

So I'd like to try custom Oreo, and if it turns out to be inconvenient, I want to return to the last Hydrogen.

Is it possible? Doesn't Oreo somehow irreversibly patch the firmware, making Nougat crash?

---------- Post added at 03:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

Also, how do custom ROMs deal with safetynet/dm-verity?

Hydrogen passes the safetynet check if it manages to connect to Google. [VPN is needed]

Which custom roms pass this check? Does disabling dm-verity mean failing the check?

I think using unbrick tool can put you back on 4.7.4. Check out another thread.

janis_dschi

Jan 14, 2014
I think using unbrick tool can put you back on 4.7.4. Check out another thread.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5t/how-to/how-to-revert-to-oos-oreo-8-1-t3730952/page4

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

Is downgrade Oreo -> Nougat possible?

I'd like some cool features of custom roms, but I also like some cool bloatwire from Hydrogen OS, like magic parsing of SMS authorisation and built-in apps for banks and such.

So I'd like to try custom Oreo, and if it turns out to be inconvenient, I want to return to the last Hydrogen.

Is it possible? Doesn't Oreo somehow irreversibly patch the firmware, making Nougat crash?

---------- Post added at 03:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

Also, how do custom ROMs deal with safetynet/dm-verity?

Hydrogen passes the safetynet check if it manages to connect to Google. [VPN is needed]

Which custom roms pass this check? Does disabling dm-verity mean failing the check?
https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5t/how-to/how-to-revert-to-oos-oreo-8-1-t3730952/page4

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5t/how-to/how-to-revert-to-oos-oreo-8-1-t3730952/page4[/QUOTE]

Reactions: bitbull

iamterence

Feb 10, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
I've been using the Open Betas for a little while now and they've been absolutely stellar.

But honestly?

Once PA drops for us, it's a wrap. That's all I'm gonna use.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

iamterence

Feb 10, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
Is PA according to you, feature packed or feature lean?
I am eventually looking for AOSP leanest ROM.
Thanks
Recently it's been lean. Not too many features, just a lot of under-the-hood stability changes and fixes. It is truly the best. Everybody misses the feature packed PA ROMs, but the new leaner ones have been the best experience by far. Because all the features that people used to flash ROMs for back then, are part of stock Android now.

Reactions: Dior DNA and dajj

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
But honestly?

Once PA drops for us, it's a wrap. That's all I'm gonna use.

That's how I've felt about Resurrection Remix for the last few years.
Everyone has their own preferences though.
Mine is for the ROM that has the most possible customization options.
And PA never has any cool options.
But on the flip side, it's a popular base for other custom ROM's.

I'm looking forward to trying some new ROM teams out after I get my OP5T in the mail tomorrow.
Especially Liquid, since it was my fave ROM back on the old Galaxy S3 or S4 and then the team went bust not long afterwards.

Anything I go with though, *must* have Slim Recents.
I abor any other Recents options.
Omni is better than stock, but still not what I myself like to use.

gleggie

Jan 13, 2013
PA on the OP3 was night an day the best ROM. Very stable, incredibly optimized, so battery life and performance were top notch. I personally like the newer philosophy of PA where the features are more minimal and they focus mainly on stability, battery, and performance. Hopefully the 5T PA will receive a custom camera HAL like the OP3 received, because it also had camera quality comparable to stock OOS

SlyUK

May 13, 2015
That's how I've felt about Resurrection Remix for the last few years.
Everyone has their own preferences though.
Mine is for the ROM that has the most possible customization options.
And PA never has any cool options.
But on the flip side, it's a popular base for other custom ROM's.

I'm looking forward to trying some new ROM teams out after I get my OP5T in the mail tomorrow.
Especially Liquid, since it was my fave ROM back on the old Galaxy S3 or S4 and then the team went bust not long afterwards.

Anything I go with though, *must* have Slim Recents.
I abor any other Recents options.
Omni is better than stock, but still not what I myself like to use.

Apparently Liquid Remix is pretty solid with nice customisation and it has Franken kernel included, which is also excellent.

MsuatafaKhatab

Sep 15, 2013
PA on the OP3 was night an day the best ROM. Very stable, incredibly optimized, so battery life and performance were top notch. I personally like the newer philosophy of PA where the features are more minimal and they focus mainly on stability, battery, and performance. Hopefully the 5T PA will receive a custom camera HAL like the OP3 received, because it also had camera quality comparable to stock OOS
Can I install Dolby on Oreo

chas123

Oct 29, 2008
Edit. Please delete

I've been on Phoenix for a while now. First time I flashed, I formatted data, flashed the ROM then gapps nano, booted up, went back to recovery, and flashed magisk 15.3. I have dirty flashed the last 3 updates. For me- the ROM has been flawless. Not 1 bug that I can find aside from the fact that the tweaks app has features that haven't been integrated yet (ones that I wouldn't use anyway). I think it's more of an issue w/ the NOS branch for the 5t. Excellent battery life, very fluid, and very snappy.

Reactions: gleggie

jim262

Jul 17, 2015
I am running a modified version of stock. I have removed apps /features I don't want or need and added those I do. I have added Adaway, Magisk, Root Essentials, Nova Launcher, Nova Companion and Substratum. I now have a fully themed device, plus all the goodies OOS offers, like the camera, face unlock and reading mode. Plus with Magisk, I can still been able to use Android Pay.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobandar

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone