[Discussion] Favourite rom and why?

Search This thread

ArdeX

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere
I've been on Phoenix for a while now. First time I flashed, I formatted data, flashed the ROM then gapps nano, booted up, went back to recovery, and flashed magisk 15.3. I have dirty flashed the last 3 updates. For me- the ROM has been flawless. Not 1 bug that I can find aside from the fact that the tweaks app has features that haven't been integrated yet (ones that I wouldn't use anyway). I think it's more of an issue w/ the NOS branch for the 5t. Excellent battery life, very fluid, and very snappy.

My thoughts exactly. Codename: Phoenix runs great, it's the best custom ROM I've ever used - and there have been quite a few on my OnePlus 1, 3, and now 5T.

No issues except for the stock camera, which crashed for me in video mode...but installed Google modded cam and no prob. The only thing I'm missing is center clock, used it for years and it would be nice to have, but it's no biggie in the larger scheme of things. Fling lets me hide the navbar and use navigation gestures that work well (although they're not perfect).

CNP's performance and features are first-class, and the battery life is just insanely good. I'm a big fan of Resurrection Remix, which just came out - so while it's tempting to check out, I think I'll stick with Phoenix for the time being, it just works too well to let go.

Reactions: gleggie

chas123

Oct 29, 2008
My thoughts exactly. Codename: Phoenix runs great, it's the best custom ROM I've ever used - and there have been quite a few on my OnePlus 1, 3, and now 5T.

No issues except for the stock camera, which crashed for me in video mode...but installed Google modded cam and no prob. The only thing I'm missing is center clock, used it for years and it would be nice to have, but it's no biggie in the larger scheme of things. Fling lets me hide the navbar and use navigation gestures that work well (although they're not perfect).

CNP's performance and features are first-class, and the battery life is just insanely good. I'm a big fan of Resurrection Remix, which just came out - so while it's tempting to check out, I think I'll stick with Phoenix for the time being, it just works too well to let go.

Yeah- I mean if it had bugs or something I'd try something else, but there is really no reason too at this point. The ROM is so good that it's almost boring. Makes you forget you're running a custom ROM at all.

Reactions: ArdeX

huangjqiu

Aug 23, 2012
stock rom. because that is completely optimized for the phone. I have 1+3T too and I tried many many custom roms but I always came back to stock rom. so I believe stock rom is the best rom.

But on stock, you have to use Alert Slider to manually change to Do Not Disturb. I need the phone to silence during the night. So I try to find a stable custom rom with such feature. Oneplus 5T is really messing up with this basic feature.

I might just return the phone

matteosaeed

Oct 3, 2012
NY
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

Yeah- I mean if it had bugs or something I'd try something else, but there is really no reason too at this point. The ROM is so good that it's almost boring. Makes you forget you're running a custom ROM at all.

I am running RR, and it has been insanely good. Running Google camera and OOS camera (OOS without portrait mode for some reason). Battery life has been stellar so far. (Just turn live display off) Bluetooth worked fine.had it connected to Android Wear all day yesterday. Here is a screenshot of my battery (at least, this is kind of good battery for me personally. I think I even drained more because I was restarting the phone a lot when I was testing themes etc. )

Attachments

• Screenshot_Settings_20180211-111941.png
    Screenshot_Settings_20180211-111941.png
    139.4 KB · Views: 422

chas123

Oct 29, 2008
But on stock, you have to use Alert Slider to manually change to Do Not Disturb. I need the phone to silence during the night. So I try to find a stable custom rom with such feature. Oneplus 5T is really messing up with this basic feature.

I might just return the phone

I think it's the Chinese. They don't like the do not disturb thing. ZTE Axon 7 was the same way. ZTE strips out other native features as well. Just like OP

cd993

May 8, 2009
London
Quick update from me:

After trying Liquid rom and going back and fourth between Oreo Beta 3, I am now fully settled with Codename Phoenix. This rom is simply perfect! Runs so fluidly, battery life for me is better than both liquid and OB3, feature rich and makes my device an absolute joy to use :)

aleck0112

Jan 5, 2017
Quick update from me:

After trying Liquid rom and going back and fourth between Oreo Beta 3, I am now fully settled with Codename Phoenix. This rom is simply perfect! Runs so fluidly, battery life for me is better than both liquid and OB3, feature rich and makes my device an absolute joy to use :)

Have you tried RR 6.0? How do they compare?

The concern for me with CP is that it seems like it's discontinued and I don't know if the features I needed are in there

azsl1326

Mar 13, 2008
Arizona
OnePlus 8 Pro
OnePlus 8T

The concern for me with CP is that it seems like it's discontinued and I don't know if the features I needed are in there

I tried RR and prefer Phoenix better. It has all the customizations, more than RR. On RR, I wasn't able to get WiFi calling and I can on Phoenix. There are also other minor nuances I didn't really care for on RR. Phoenix is being updated about once a week. I am guessing while there is no feedback direct to the dev, he does read the threads on XDA as some of the updates directly related to items mentioned in the threads.

alewis2k12

Dec 26, 2011
Mississippi Gulf Coast...

I have tried all roms and seems to me it all depends on the user and how you setup and operate your phone... Im running official RR and to me RR with flash kernel is the best... and after that is liquid remix rom and phoenix and crdroid.... you really cant go wrong with either but for me is RR all the way... only bad part about it is I love flashing the phone lol... so now I cant really flash anymore bcuz going to anything else seems like a downgrade...So for me its all Ressurection Remix paired with flash kernel.... But just give them all a try my friend...

aleck0112

Jan 5, 2017
thanks for the replies guys.
Just tried to flash CP and got it all good first time which was not the case with RR. Customization seems to be much better in all aspects (simplier and not overloaded like RR).
Battery life was really good with RR and I expect nothing less with all the feedbacks in this thread.
Happy so far and look like I'm staying for a long time :D

Reactions: alewis2k12

alewis2k12

Dec 26, 2011
Mississippi Gulf Coast...
thanks for the replies guys.
Just tried to flash CP and got it all good first time which was not the case with RR. Customization seems to be much better in all aspects (simplier and not overloaded like RR).
Battery life was really good with RR and I expect nothing less with all the feedbacks in this thread.
Happy so far and look like I'm staying for a long time :D

Sweet like I said you can't really go wrong with any thing on this phone it's so powerful and flies thru everything.... Best phone out imo....

nadejo

Jun 28, 2010
The best rom is still oos open beta3.
The gesture option is just amazing. i know this is possible with a gesture app on custom roms. but its better if its include in the rom i think.
The next point is that on all oreo based custom roms i experienced the huge wake delays. no matter how the flashing procedure was, i allways had a wake delay when i used any kind of lockscreen. the only workaround is to not use any lockscreen at all. means even swipe only lockscreen causes this issue. i had this issue on phoenix, liquid remix, aicp, dirty unicorn, aosip, and now reading that it happens to some using rr aswell. And i think its ignorant to say it´s stable because only some of us is experiencing this issue where as it clearly happens on clean installs aswell. i think it is some kind of setting which gets restored when synching with google.
another issue is that the current custom roms dont notice wather the device is decrypted or not. means you will have to flash the verity file when you want to stay decrypted. on oreo based custom roms you will also need to reflash gapps and magisk each time updating the rom.
other than that i think its generally more secure to use the official firmwares and see no big benefit in using custom roms other than the sound mods and apps like youtube with background playback. i also cannot sacrifice the faceunlock and camera of oos and cannot risk having the possible instability caused by custom roms. ofcourse these are just my opinions.
But If there is no more wake delay issue for 100%, the default gesture navigation method gets imported and if the rom can be flashed on decrypted&encrypted devices without any additional verity file, i will switch back to custom roms for sure. Then my favorite rom would be resurrection remix, because it allways has the most mod options with the least performance sacrifice.

cd993

May 8, 2009
London

Indeed there is no active part forum as such, though there is a telegram discussion thread at the least. I say give it a try as for me, it is simply perfect! The battery usage is amazing, and I mean it when I say this!

I tried RR and prefer Phoenix better. It has all the customizations, more than RR. On RR, I wasn't able to get WiFi calling and I can on Phoenix. There are also other minor nuances I didn't really care for on RR. Phoenix is being updated about once a week. I am guessing while there is no feedback direct to the dev, he does read the threads on XDA as some of the updates directly related to items mentioned in the threads.

Agreed, there are usually weekly updates which I look forward to :)

Hetex

May 6, 2013
The next point is that on all oreo based custom roms i experienced the huge wake delays. no matter how the flashing procedure was, i allways had a wake delay when i used any kind of lockscreen. the only workaround is to not use any lockscreen at all. means even swipe only lockscreen causes this issue. i had this issue on phoenix, liquid remix, aicp, dirty unicorn, aosip, and now reading that it happens to some using rr aswell.

I've this same issue, seems to be caused by magisks, still haven't figured out exactly why. Looks like I'm going back to OB3.

Duncan1982

Feb 6, 2014
I'm still preferring a Stock ROM (The One) with Substratum for theming, Magisk tweaks, Flash Kernel & Xposed for other things. Not taking anything away from other ROMs, once they are developed a bit further then I will most certainly try and preferably if Dual boot works with Stock Primary & Custom as Secondary.

Xtremelyevil

Feb 8, 2012
Belgium
I still can't bring myself to switch to a custom ROM (after using custom ROMs 24/7 on my Moto X) , just because none of them seem to have the face unlock that comes on the stock rom.
WIll this ever be ported?
Stock android face unlock is just way to slow.

aleck0112

Jan 5, 2017
I still can't bring myself to switch to a custom ROM (after using custom ROMs 24/7 on my Moto X) , just because none of them seem to have the face unlock that comes on the stock rom.

Codename Phoenix has face unlock just like OOS, it's a tiny bit slower, nowhere near slow enough to make it uncomfortable though, so I'm loving it so far even though I stayed with OOS (freedomOS) most of my time with the 3T.
Give it a go

OldMid

Feb 5, 2018
Its oneplus proprietary software, porting it wouldn't be very legal...

cd993

May 8, 2009
London
Its oneplus proprietary software, porting it wouldn't be very legal...

For me personally I never got into using face unlock. For the time it takes to wake the screen pressing the power button, the fingerprint sensor in the same time unlocks the screen. Face unlock adds another step in this, but of course each to their own! I'm glad for those that do use it that there is an option at least, albeit not as fast as the OOS one (which when I did try it out was crazy fast and impressive!)

darbylonia

Apr 30, 2011
New York
After reading all the comments, I think I'm going to maybe give Codename Phoenix a go, and then also try OB3. With different kernels too. The only true way to know what the best ROM is for your device is to try it on for size. Once I have time, it's back to Flash City for me! LOL :good:

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone