[DISCUSSION] Google Camera dot pattern

Search This thread

sipollo

Jan 4, 2015
Hi, i was wondering about the origin of "dot pattern" noticeable in orange/yellow/blue objects photographed by google camera.
I found out that this does not occur on front camera. With Camera2test i noticed that there is a Camera2 API key "android.sensor.availableTestPatternModes".
His value is "0,1,2,4" for back camera and "0,1,2,3" for front camera. Is there a way to modify this key (with a Magisk module or within the apk) to see if this could be causing this "dot pattern"?
I ask the developers if it's possible to verify this thing.
In this occasion i would like to thank @cstark27 @SerJo87 @Arnova8G2 for their great work.

Reactions: hansen5265

Arnova8G2

Sep 22, 2012
@sipollo, This setting is not used on GCam, this bug is a problem with RAW mode and dual cameras.
Google has to add in its api2 a fix to solve this bug, only the manufacturer could add this code.
Source camera2 api
Code:
    CAM_FORMAT_BAYER_QCOM_RAW_10BPP_GBRG, <---- Used on all API2 but with dots for dual cameras
    CAM_FORMAT_BAYER_QCOM_RAW_10BPP_GRBG,
    CAM_FORMAT_BAYER_QCOM_RAW_10BPP_RGGB,
    CAM_FORMAT_BAYER_QCOM_RAW_10BPP_BGGR,
    /* Ideal raw formats where image data has gone through black
     * correction, lens rolloff, demux/channel gain, bad pixel
     * correction, and ABF.
     * Ideal raw formats could output any of QCOM_RAW and MIPI_RAW
     * formats, plus plain8 8bbp, plain16 800, plain16 10bpp, and
     * plain 16 12bpp */
    CAM_FORMAT_BAYER_IDEAL_RAW_QCOM_10BPP_GBRG,  <--------Works without dots
    CAM_FORMAT_BAYER_IDEAL_RAW_QCOM_10BPP_GRBG,  <--------Works without dots
    CAM_FORMAT_BAYER_IDEAL_RAW_QCOM_10BPP_RGGB,  <--------Works without dots
    CAM_FORMAT_BAYER_IDEAL_RAW_QCOM_10BPP_BGGR,  <--------Works without dots

Benjamin_L

Nov 30, 2010
@sipollo, This setting is not used on GCam, this bug is a problem with RAW mode and dual cameras.
Google has to add in its api2 a fix to solve this bug, only the manufacturer could add this code.
Source camera2 api
Code:
    CAM_FORMAT_BAYER_QCOM_RAW_10BPP_GBRG, <---- Used on all API2 but with dots for dual cameras
     * correction, and ABF.
     * plain 16 12bpp */

Do you know if something changed in Android 9?

Kanazord

Aug 13, 2018
Hello,

This bug seems to only occur with HDR+ for me, and not for HDR+ Enchanced. Is it the case for you too?
Or is it random and I was just lucky in HDR+ Enchanced?

Kanazord

Aug 13, 2018
Try to take a photo of bright yellow object with uniform color, I'm quite sure that you will see dots in both HDR modes.

Ah yes true, I have just tested again with a very bright sky and it did it in both this time! (just had the phone since yesterday, and I noticed this dots thing only on a few shots taken in standard HDR+)

sipollo

Jan 4, 2015
I noticed this and it happens only with v6 mods. v5 mods are not facing this issue.

It happens with all Gcams with hdr+ and hdr+ enhanced.
The only way to reduce them is playing with noise reduction. In several versions there is a menu called "tuning back cam". If you set "custom chroma denoise" to higher values you won't (almost) have dots but quality will be reduced a bit.

ajay9804

Feb 13, 2018
How to fix mi A1 (code name =Tissot) front camera Colortint and grainy photos in all gcam 6.1 version

crazy4jack

Apr 12, 2019
Hi, i was wondering about the origin of "dot pattern" noticeable in orange/yellow/blue objects photographed by google camera.
I found out that this does not occur on front camera. With Camera2test i noticed that there is a Camera2 API key "android.sensor.availableTestPatternModes".
His value is "0,1,2,4" for back camera and "0,1,2,3" for front camera. Is there a way to modify this key (with a Magisk module or within the apk) to see if this could be causing this "dot pattern"?
In this occasion i would like to thank @cstark27 @SerJo87 @Arnova8G2 for their great work.

ive just been testing many almost all Gcam moders mods from arnova to stark etc and all those mods - on arnova less - have teh same issue white on orange or dark on blue pictures dots, ive just bought motorola g7 and ive been searching internet and this is not phone issue just a freaking mods, this ia a joke imho so many amrtphones with same isssues on all gcam mods, i understand none will fix this?

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

It happens with all Gcams with hdr+ and hdr+ enhanced.
The only way to reduce them is playing with noise reduction. In several versions there is a menu called "tuning back cam". If you set "custom chroma denoise" to higher values you won't (almost) have dots but quality will be reduced a bit.

i did that and no change at all

sipollo

Jan 4, 2015
ive just been testing many almost all Gcam moders mods from arnova to stark etc and all those mods - on arnova less - have teh same issue white on orange or dark on blue pictures dots, ive just bought motorola g7 and ive been searching internet and this is not phone issue just a freaking mods, this ia a joke imho so many amrtphones with same isssues on all gcam mods, i understand none will fix this?

The root cause of this dots is a bad camera 2 api implementation by the OEM. The only fix would be that someone modify the required library for your phone adding support for standard camera2 api RAW format. Playing with libpatcher settings on Gcams would only reduce them a bit.

crazy4jack

Apr 12, 2019
The root cause of this dots is a bad camera 2 api implementation by the OEM. The only fix would be that someone modify the required library for your phone adding support for standard camera2 api RAW format. Playing with libpatcher settings on Gcams would only reduce them a bit.

i m testing 3 different mods gcams and what i see for now i have dots on hdr+ mode and flash, or sometimes only on hdr+ only mode, on yellow orange white surface, i have thoise dots to on sky photos to, for now the best gcam mod is for me (has less dots or very blurry dots) GCam_5.200604.2138build-7.3.021

crazy4jack

Apr 12, 2019

so what i understand, oryginal gcam on for example pixel xl dont have this issue? only gcam mods?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Source camera2 api
    Code:
         * correction, and ABF.
         * plain 16 12bpp */