[Discussion] Google Pay Magisk Discussion Thread

Search This thread
Feb 19, 2022
The GPay app technically can launch but when asked to set up contactless Google Play Service launches then crashes. I've cleared Play services data several times now
Magisk is version 24.3. I have Zygisk enabled with the deny list enabled. The GPay SQlite fix module, MagiskHide Props Config, and Universal SafetyNet Fix. Google Play Store says my device is verified as well as YASNAC
Tried out that working solution and that didn't change anything. What am I doing wrong?

borisSweden

May 10, 2021
OnePlus 7T
Is it possible to emulate Android Pie variables just to make Google Pay and Android Pay to work without Gapps? Let say Android 11 with all the Magisk fixes but the Pay app is in a container for Android 9 where the fixes work without Gapps?

73sydney

The GPay app technically can launch but when asked to set up contactless Google Play Service launches then crashes. I've cleared Play services data several times now
Magisk is version 24.3. I have Zygisk enabled with the deny list enabled. The GPay SQlite fix module, MagiskHide Props Config, and Universal SafetyNet Fix. Google Play Store says my device is verified as well as YASNAC
Tried out that working solution and that didn't change anything. What am I doing wrong?

Cant say ive ever had GPay just crash when trying to set up a card, it will usually give an error if anything

Do you only Deny Google Pay, NOT every Google app/service as some people mistakenly do thinking it will "solve everything"...it can break stuff

Have you tried the most common fix:

Clear Play Store & Play Store Services Data & Check Play Store Certification

• Toggle Airplane Mode on
  • Clear data and cache of:
    • Google Play
    • Google Play Services
    • Google Pay (note: may/will remove any cards previously entered)
  • Usually this will be achieved by (exact steps and terminology may change per device or ROM):
    • Opening Settings
    • Going to Apps, choosing Show All Apps
    • Enabling Show System Apps via a menu option
    • Locating the app, tapping it and then finding Storage/Cache
    • Tapping Clear Data
  • Reboot
  • Toggle Airplane Mode off
  • Open Google Play Store, wait 5 minutes, go to Settings and check Certification at bottom, it may take some time for "Certified" to appear, but as long as its not "Not Certified", and just showing version info, you are good to go
You might also consider trying Shamiko, link here with the Deny List NOT enforced (Shamiko requires this) and only enable Deny List for Google Pay, as far as Pay stuff goes

73sydney

Anybody finding that there GPay isnt working any more? Pixel 6 Pro here...
I am unable to keep Google Play Services added to the Denylist. But Google Pay and Google Store do stay.
Play Services is by design not able to be added if using KDragons Universal SafetyNet Module i think from memory (not sure if Magisk does this now by default either), this is by design

Modules i use:

Universal SafetyNet
Shamiko (turn off Enforce Deny List when using this)

Google Pay is the only Google app in my Deny List - (i dont even have Play Store on the Deny List)

Google Pay works fine, you have other issues.

Why do you say it doesnt work, what happens? error messages?

Do you pass SafetyNet? ...dont forget to hide the magisk app. If you do, then try the steps in my last post, 3 posts above here....aka the *almost* universal fix for GPay issues.....

All things new Magisk and passing SafetyNet, including downloads of modules mentioned are here:

Last edited:
Play Services is by design not able to be added if using KDragons Universal SafetyNet Module i think from memory (not sure if Magisk does this now by default either), this is by design

Modules i use:

Universal SafetyNet ()
Shamiko (turn off Enforce Deny List when using this)

Google Pay is the only Google app in my Deny List - (i dont even have Play Store on the Deny List)

Google Pay works fine, you have other issues.

Why do you say it doesnt work, what happens? error messages?

Do you pass SafetyNet? ...dont forget to hide the magisk app. If you do, then try the steps in my last post, 3 posts above here....aka the *almost* universal fix for GPay issues.....

All things new Magisk and passing SafetyNet, including downloads of modules mentioned are here:

@73sydney - Thanks for this - Managed to get it sorted, but I may need to default my phone again with the May firmware release.
I have a few bugs which are linked to the backup the device is pulling from Google1. Items like my lockscreen not always appearing correctly etc
GPay is another one of those, but thanks for the suggestion anyway :)

Reactions: 73sydney

73sydney

@73sydney - Thanks for this - Managed to get it sorted, but I may need to default my phone again with the May firmware release.
I have a few bugs which are linked to the backup the device is pulling from Google1. Items like my lockscreen not always appearing correctly etc
GPay is another one of those, but thanks for the suggestion anyway :)

Well thats a new one, ive never even heard of that happening ...(Ive never used google backup and restore)

Hope you get it sorted out

Fishawy

Mar 26, 2010
Melbourne
OnePlus 9 Pro
FYI, I had a problem - all of a sudden yesterday - with Google Pay on my OnePlus 9 Pro. Tried everything I could, even installing older versions of the apk, no luck for 3 hours. Google Pay kept showing something like "Checking for updates, this may take a few minutes".

Finally, turns out it's the latest version of Google Play Services (I was naive enough to opt in the beta testing program).

If you come across something like that, what worked for me was uninstalling Google Play Services updates, opting out of beta program, then re-applying the usual Google Pay process, and I was good to go.

73sydney

FYI, I had a problem - all of a sudden yesterday - with Google Pay on my OnePlus 9 Pro. Tried everything I could, even installing older versions of the apk, no luck for 3 hours. Google Pay kept showing something like "Checking for updates, this may take a few minutes".

Finally, turns out it's the latest version of Google Play Services (I was naive enough to opt in the beta testing program).

If you come across something like that, what worked for me was uninstalling Google Play Services updates, opting out of beta program, then re-applying the usual Google Pay process, and I was good to go.

didnt even know there WAS a beta program for core google services...i wouldnt have been signing up for that :)

thanks for the heads up and sharing the info for the benefit of others!

fwiw its been a long while since a specific version of Google Pay itself caused any dramas...

rodken

Jan 11, 2010

I too, was naive enough to opt in the beta testing program - and have since dropped it like it was hot.

Fishawy

Mar 26, 2010
Melbourne
OnePlus 9 Pro
fwiw its been a long while since a specific version of Google Pay itself caused any dramas...
The last 2 versions of Google Pay gave us prolonged hard times (months) in trying to add and auto-top-up the Myki public transport card in Melbourne, until they finally resolved it. Of course that's not a global scale problem, but yeah the APKs have been problematic for some.

73sydney

The last 2 versions of Google Pay gave us prolonged hard times (months) in trying to add and auto-top-up the Myki public transport card in Melbourne, until they finally resolved it. Of course that's not a global scale problem, but yeah the APKs have been problematic for some.

no such problem with Opal in Sydney :)

Reactions: pndwal

pndwal

Lived there for years and can confirm the statement, however you can't add Opal to GPay unlike Myki. :D

Either way, minor things really when any form of tap-to-pay works fine.
Just tapped on Opal terminal w/ GPay this morning! - don't need to (probably can't as you say) add Opal to GPay but.

I do have the card I associated with GPay added in Opal Travel app, so see trips both in 'Opal activity' and 'Contactless payment activity'... PW

Reactions: 73sydney

Fishawy

Mar 26, 2010
Melbourne
OnePlus 9 Pro
Just tapped on Opal terminal w/ GPay this morning! - don't need to (probably can't as you say) add Opal to GPay but.

I do have the card I associated with GPay added in Opal Travel app, so see trips both in 'Opal activity' and 'Contactless payment activity'... PW
Yes, that's exactly what I used to do in Sydney. Having Myki on Google Pay is probably the alternative for not being able to tap-and-pay in Melbourne (or I could be wrong).

Glad we have an electronic option regardless.

Reactions: 73sydney and pndwal

73sydney

Just what we need, you cashed up and moving about Sydney :p

Ive never been able to even top up from within the app (i use firefox and the webpage:) )...i just assumed it had some way to detect root i wasnt aware of

If i hit top up it just cycles right back to the main screen....

Also cant add to billing information

So guessing its a root issue, i have it in deny list and HMA as well...

Last edited:

Fishawy

Mar 26, 2010
Melbourne
OnePlus 9 Pro
Just what we need, you cashed up and moving about Sydney :p

Ive never been able to even top up from within the app (i use firefox and the webpage:) )...i just assumed it had some way to detect root i wasnt aware of

If i hit top up it just cycles right back to the main screen....

Also cant add to billing information

So guessing its a root issue, i have it in deny list and HMA as well...
You can do it - and auto top-up too - from the app. Just click the gear icon on the card, then configure it. I didn't have to manually top-up in years.

Or maybe a fresh start, remove and reinstall, then Opal in Deny List and that's it, worked like a charm.

Which reminds me, I have $20 stuck in there with no use since I moved 🤦🏻‍♂️😄

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220506-193357.jpg
    Screenshot_20220506-193357.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

73sydney

You can do it - and auto top-up too - from the app. Just click the gear icon on the card, then configure it. I didn't have to manually top-up in years.

Or maybe a fresh start, remove and reinstall, then Opal in Deny List and that's it, worked like a charm.

Which reminds me, I have $20 stuck in there with no use since I moved 😄

I know how to do all that stuff, but doesnt work for me, cycles back to the menu you launch the option from :(

Only app on my phone i have issues with...

Attachments

• Screen_Recording_20220506-195138_Opal Travel.mp4
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen_Recording_20220506-195100_Opal Travel.mp4
    4.5 MB · Views: 0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Haven't had much time to dig further into issue... Suspect it's an issue with late Canary, but haven't tested... PW
    Still not sure what caused this glitch (likely SafetyNet failure during Magisk setup).

Anyway, I found in Google Pay, Contactless setup
    IMG_20220604_135028.jpg

the Last item said 'Your phone does not meet the security requirements'.

Clearing Google Pay data wouldn't fix.

I am scared to clear data for the several components that appear in applist w/ 'security' as keyword... So next I cleared Google Play Services and Google Play Store data, but now Google Play wouldn't even open, just this (unending):
    IMG_20220604_133229.jpg

Strangely, clearing Google Pay data again had no effect either...

Next, I simply uninstalled Google Pay completely, then reinstalled it from Play Store, and now get 'Your phone meets he security requirements' as shown above. Also:
    IMG_20220604_134358.jpg

so seems I'm good to go again! 😛

I don't know if version changed, but I assume I had latest version before as I auto-update... Some things are a mystery, but Uninstalling and reinstalling did the trick for me where clearing data wouldn't...

For others facing this, clearly you'll need to fix any SafetyNet issues first...

Hope this might alay some anguish. 😜 PW
    Confuzzled, do you mean the usual

* Airplane mode on
    * Wipe data of Play Services, Play Store and Google Pay
    * Reboot
    * Airplane mode off

didnt work...you had to fully uninstall pay as well?
    Didn't do Aeroplane (are you American 😛) mode thing (seldom do), just the wipes and reboot suggested as stated...

Did work!; by 'did this', I mean I did exactly what rodken prescribed (no need nor mention of full uninstalling G Pay again!) 'and it did the trick' for me. 👍

By 'I think the reboot made the difference', I mean my original fix, while allowing Contactless payment to work, was flawed...

If I had also rebooted after wiping G Pay app data, I believe I would have both fixed Contactless Payment setup (security requirement) issue, 'Google Pay is currently updating' would have completed and I should have avoided broken Activity list...

In short, if you get
    IMG_20220604_110358.jpg

and see 'Your phone does not meet the security requirements' in Contactless setup, clearing Google Pay app data won't fix it.

Fix by
    1) Clearing Google Play Services and Google Play Store data.*
    (but now

IMG_20220604_133229.jpg

won't complete...)
    *Clearing Play Store data may (likely) not be required.
    2) Clear Google Pay app data and reboot. (I'm not 100% sure full uninstall / reinstall of G Pay app, which I did, is not necessary here, but I now suspect it isn't).

Now 'Google Pay is currently updating' should complete and you should get
    IMG_20220604_134358.jpg

and, after payments
    IMG_20220607_162612.jpg

👍

...If you're still getting
    IMG_20220607_163018.jpg

for Oreo Double Stuffed Cinnamon Bun bikkies in some vain attempt to scroll back to the 80's & 90's, you really need to re-evaluate your whole approach, get 'with it' (suggest biting ends off TimTams and sucking rum / brandy into them at least) and maybe chuck out that Royal Doulton tea set and the Queen Anne furniture... And why the hankering for American Kraft/Heinz Nabisco Coffee anyway? ... No wonder your spellings all up the shoot!
    😁 PW
    (but now

View attachment 5632207
    won't complete...)
    *Clearing Play Store data may (likely) not be required.
    2) Clear Google Pay app data and reboot. (I'm not 100% sure full uninstall / reinstall of G Pay app, which I did, is not necessary here, but I now suspect it isn't).

Now 'Google Pay is currently updating' should complete and you should get
    View attachment 5632235
    I'm in the same predicament as you were - I cleared Google Pay data, rebooted, and when I started it again, it asked me for the Google account and then I'm back to the 'updating' screen. How long should it take to update?

EDIT: Jumped the gun, tried again after 5 mins and we're good!
    Bummer....Google Services are sometimes a mystery unto themselves
    Especially, with the beta version of Google Play Services.
    Still not sure what caused this glitch (likely SafetyNet failure during Magisk setup).

Anyway, I found in Google Pay, Contactless setup
    View attachment 5630005

the Last item said 'Your phone does not meet the security requirements'.

Clearing Google Pay data wouldn't fix.

I am scared to clear data for the several components that appear in applist w/ 'security' as keyword... So next I cleared Google Play Services and Google Play Store data, but now Google Play wouldn't even open, just this (unending):
    View attachment 5630011
    Strangely, clearing Google Pay data again had no effect either...

Next, I simply uninstalled Google Pay completely, then reinstalled it from Play Store, and now get 'Your phone meets he security requirements' as shown above. Also:
    View attachment 5630017
    so seems I'm good to go again! 😛

I don't know if version changed, but I assume I had latest version before as I auto-update... Some things are a mystery, but Uninstalling and reinstalling did the trick for me where clearing data wouldn't...

For others facing this, clearly you'll need to fix any SafetyNet issues first...

Hope this might alay some anguish. 😜 PW

Thats slightly bonkers, wouldnt think it would be a database issue as a data clear would handle that, maybe some backend Google Pay thingy? The only issue i ever had with Google Pay was one of those rare error codes where you have to contact Google Pay and they reset it from their end..24-48 hour turnaround. In my case it was an issue where the originating bank (my bank) spammed their backend with false data when i was adding my card after a ROM flash

In any event, youve maintained your track record of solving issue sin this thread before i get to them. Your sacrifice is noted...

Ponkles
    The new Google Play services update caused this.

Temporary workaround:

1. Disable Google Pay/Find My Device as Device Administrators in Settings > Security & location > Device Administrators.

2. Search "Google Play services" in the Settings search bar.

3. Press the three dots and press "Uninstall previous updates".

4. Download this update - https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-services/google-play-services-14-7-99-release/
    Pick your needed edition (arm or arm64, etc.), download it and install it.

5. Disable Background data access for Google Play Services and Google Play in their respective App Info pages.

6. Download Google Pay from the Play Store.

7. Set up your cards. Enjoy!

Never EVER update Google Play services manually, until a Magisk update is available that bypasses the upgraded SafetyNet. Note that Google Play services is responsible for adding/verifying the card, not the Google Pay app! Hence why there seems to be an overlay when adding a card/verifying an existing one.

Tested Google Pay versions:

2.79.x-2.83.235070858 - working

Tested Google Play services versions:

14.7.99, 16.0.86 - working with Magisk 18.1

14.8.49-16.x- working with Magisk 18.2 Canary
    Ok. I tried this and it worked on gms 17.1.22, allowing one to add cards and pay in store. Warning YMMV, but this is the process I did to get this working. One caveat is that Google pay does not register the "recent transactions" on the Google pay app. Another caveat is that I suspect users will have to reverse some step if gms is updated and then reapply, but this still needs to be confirmed

Without further ado, here is my process:

1) download a SQL database editor. I used

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomminosoftware.sqliteeditor&hl=en_US

2) download a terminal emulator program. I used terminus but any terminal emulator should work.

3) make sure Google pay is forced close, if it is open.

4) open SQL editor. Navigate to /data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases

5) open dg.db

6) change any value that lists "attest" in the name (first column) to 0 in the third column. Mine was showing a value of 10 in the third column for each of these values. (Column c for sqlite databse editor I used)

7) open the terminal emulator.

8) get root access (su)

9) cd /data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases

10) type: chmod 440 dg.db
    This makes dg.db read only (for owner and group, and no access for world.)

11) reboot

I suspect when gms is updated, one will have to go back to steps 10 and 11 and chmod 660 dg.db to allow new keys to be written to the database, and then go back and redo all these steps to reset the attestation values back to 0.

If there is still an error, verify in sqlite database editor that all attest release keys values in dg.db are 0 when dg.db is read only (owner and group).

Again, YMMV but this worked for me, so I give it back to the community now.

Edit: recent activities did show up soon afterwards for the payment method.

Cheers,
    B.D.
    This thread is inspired by the PoGo Magisk discussion thread. It's meant to keep the clutter of "Google Pay doesn't work" posts out of the main Magisk threads.

Please use this to discuss issues with Google Pay and possible solutions.

There's a working solution here:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/magisk-google-pay-gms-17-1-22-pie-t3929950
    And a Magisk Module for it here:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/ap...7-1-22-pie-t3929950/post79643248#post79643248

For general tips on first getting SafetyNet to pass fully, check here:
    https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk/MagiskHide#hn_SafetyNet
    So here's the app to check fails_attestation value. The source code is available here. I may also implement a quick way to delete the gms data folder if you want.
    All you really need to do to fix this is:
    1. Add Google Services to Magisk Hide (if you're on Magisk 18.1 use "su magiskhide --add com.google.android.gms" in terminal)
    2. Add Google Pay and Google Services Framework to Magisk Hide
    3. Go to data/data and rename com.google.android.gms to com.google.android.gms.bak for example (or delete it altogether, but backing up seems safer)

Reboot and do whatever you like in GPay, it should work now. That's all I've done. I don't think you need to reinstall Magisk.