[Discussion] Google Pay Magisk Discussion Thread

Search This thread

Fishawy

Mar 26, 2010
Melbourne
OnePlus 9 Pro
I know how to do all that stuff, but doesnt work for me, cycles back to the menu you launch the option from :(

Only app on my phone i have issues with...
Wish I was still there, we would've met for coffee and figured this out. I've learned that when it comes to stuff like this, 2 minds are always better than one.

Maybe @pndwal can do that coffee thing if both of you are up for it 😄

Reactions: 73sydney

73sydney

Wish I was still there, we would've met for coffee and figured this out. I've learned that when it comes to stuff like this, 2 minds are always better than one.

Maybe @pndwal can do that coffee thing if both of you are up for it 😄

Its not pebkac......

I catlogged it just now

and theres several weird errors....

my personal favourite is the line where it says zygote is sending signal 9 (which is SIGKILL = vewwy bad) to the process whenever the top up activity fires...

theres no obvious "root detected" status in the entire log.

and im not sure @pndwal wants to chance being seen with me...he knows why :)

Fishawy

Mar 26, 2010
Melbourne
OnePlus 9 Pro
FYI, Google Wallet is soon to - maybe - replace Google Pay here in Australia (and possibly worldwide).

pndwal

Pasting this from Magisk General Discussion. (Now fixed. Details following.):
I installed the Magisk update today and then my Google Pay detected root. I unrooted and tried installing the old Magisk canary I had working before and it didn't work, tried installing latest again, still didn't work. Am I the idiot or is this a problem for other people too? YASNAC reports clean before I launch Google Pay, and then it reports CTS profile match fail. (Pixel 6)
I've actually had the same / similar issue for last 3 days; Contactless failed, removed and set up cards again etc. (Redmi Note 8T)

I haven't had any SafetyNet failure however...

Haven't been able to put my finger on the exact issue; above card image I have
IMG_20220604_110358.jpg

- Wasn't sure if it meant card removed, but I called bank and was told cards were set up and fine for GPay on their end...

Since GPay itself is working / not complaining about root, it seems something is simply breaking Contactless function or NFC detection or hardware..

Does this match your experience?

Haven't had much time to dig further into issue... Suspect it's an issue with late Canary, but haven't tested... PW

Last edited:

pndwal

Haven't had much time to dig further into issue... Suspect it's an issue with late Canary, but haven't tested... PW
Still not sure what caused this glitch (likely SafetyNet failure during Magisk setup).

Anyway, I found in Google Pay, Contactless setup
IMG_20220604_135028.jpg

the Last item said 'Your phone does not meet the security requirements'.

Clearing Google Pay data wouldn't fix.

I am scared to clear data for the several components that appear in applist w/ 'security' as keyword... So next I cleared Google Play Services and Google Play Store data, but now Google Play wouldn't even open, just this (unending):
IMG_20220604_133229.jpg

Strangely, clearing Google Pay data again had no effect either...

Next, I simply uninstalled Google Pay completely, then reinstalled it from Play Store, and now get 'Your phone meets he security requirements' as shown above. Also:
IMG_20220604_134358.jpg

so seems I'm good to go again! 😛

I don't know if version changed, but I assume I had latest version before as I auto-update... Some things are a mystery, but Uninstalling and reinstalling did the trick for me where clearing data wouldn't...

For others facing this, clearly you'll need to fix any SafetyNet issues first...

Hope this might alay some anguish. 😜 PW

Last edited:

73sydney

Still not sure what caused this glitch (likely SafetyNet failure during Magisk setup).

View attachment 5630005

I am scared to clear data for the several components that appear in applist w/ 'security' as keyword... So next I cleared Google Play Services and Google Play Store data, but now Google Play wouldn't even open, just this (unending):
View attachment 5630011

Next, I simply uninstalled Google Pay completely, then reinstalled it from Play Store, and now get 'Your phone meets he security requirements' as shown above. Also:
View attachment 5630017

I don't know if version changed, but I assume I had latest version before as I auto-update... Some things are a mystery, but Uninstalling and reinstalling did the trick for me where clearing data wouldn't...

For others facing this, clearly you'll need to fix any SafetyNet issues first...

Thats slightly bonkers, wouldnt think it would be a database issue as a data clear would handle that, maybe some backend Google Pay thingy? The only issue i ever had with Google Pay was one of those rare error codes where you have to contact Google Pay and they reset it from their end..24-48 hour turnaround. In my case it was an issue where the originating bank (my bank) spammed their backend with false data when i was adding my card after a ROM flash

In any event, youve maintained your track record of solving issue sin this thread before i get to them. Your sacrifice is noted...

Ponkles

• Haha
Reactions: pndwal

pndwal

Thats slightly bonkers, wouldnt think it would be a database issue as a data clear would handle that, maybe some backend Google Pay thingy?...

In any event, youve maintained your track record of solving issue sin this thread before i get to them. Your sacrifice is noted...

Ponkles
Just got back from Bunnings and Macca's (treat for my son, not me 😜...), and GPay's working fine... Went to check the purchases in Activity, and this:

IMG_20220604_202359.jpg

... WHY??? 😳 PW

It's a human sign
When things go wrong
But it's no sacrifice
No sacrifice
It's no sacrifice at all

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 73sydney

73sydney

Just got back from Bunnings and Macca's (treat for my son, not me 😜...), and GPay's working fine... Went to check the purchases in Activity, and this:

View attachment 5630149

... WHY??? 😳 PW

It's a human sign
When things go wrong
When the scent of her lingers
And temptation's strong
Into the boundary
Of each married man
Sweet deceit comes calling
And negativity lands
Cold cold heart
Hard done by you
Some things look better, baby
Just passing through
And it's no sacrifice
Just a simple word
It's two hearts living
In two separate worlds
But it's no sacrifice
No sacrifice
It's no sacrifice at all

Im not sure if there isnt a delay before it shows up there?

Last time i went to Bunnings (Alexandria) my activity looked like this (big spender):

pay1.jpg

Went to Woolies this arvo, and the detail for that is even betterer, shows the location:

pay2.jpg

And yes, some of that $59 was Oreo Double Stuffed Cinnamon Bun bikkies,
closest thing to the old Nabisco Coffee Scroll bikkies from the late 80's/90's
- people have tried petitioning to have them reborn, but no...

73sydney

Maybe... Still nout but... Wait; I'll restart... PW

Edit: Still no dice...
One should always spend more at bunnies than woollies... with ones Sammy...

Bummer....Google Services are sometimes a mystery unto themselves

Not much you can do with a single room you dont own, hence Bunnings bills always low. Im not Scomo building chicken coops :)

• Love

pndwal

Re:
Just got back from Bunnings and Macca's, and GPay's working fine... Went to check the purchases in Activity, and this:

View attachment 5630149

... WHY??? 😳 PW
Solved:
After you were able to get GPay to behave utilizing the uninstall method - rewipe Google Play Services, Play Store and Google Pay data [of course reboot].

It usually sorts itself out after a few hours [1 - 24] of your device hand-shaking with the servers.
Did this, and can confirm it did the trick 👍 ... I think the reboot made the difference; without it
IMG_20220604_133229.jpg

never completes (and after circumventing this by uninstalling / reinstalling previously, Activity wouldn't update despite payments working fine).

Many thanks! PW

Last edited:

pndwal

Confuzzled, do you mean the usual

* Airplane mode on
* Wipe data of Play Services, Play Store and Google Pay
* Reboot
* Airplane mode off

didnt work...you had to fully uninstall pay as well?
Didn't do Aeroplane (are you American 😛) mode thing (seldom do), just the wipes and reboot suggested as stated...

Did work!; by 'did this', I mean I did exactly what rodken prescribed (no need nor mention of full uninstalling G Pay again!) 'and it did the trick' for me. 👍

By 'I think the reboot made the difference', I mean my original fix, while allowing Contactless payment to work, was flawed...

If I had also rebooted after wiping G Pay app data, I believe I would have both fixed Contactless Payment setup (security requirement) issue, 'Google Pay is currently updating' would have completed and I should have avoided broken Activity list...

In short, if you get
IMG_20220604_110358.jpg

and see 'Your phone does not meet the security requirements' in Contactless setup, clearing Google Pay app data won't fix it.

Fix by
1) Clearing Google Play Services and Google Play Store data.*
(but now

IMG_20220604_133229.jpg

won't complete...)
*Clearing Play Store data may (likely) not be required.
2) Clear Google Pay app data and reboot. (I'm not 100% sure full uninstall / reinstall of G Pay app, which I did, is not necessary here, but I now suspect it isn't).

Now 'Google Pay is currently updating' should complete and you should get
IMG_20220604_134358.jpg

and, after payments
IMG_20220607_162612.jpg

👍

...If you're still getting
IMG_20220607_163018.jpg

for Oreo Double Stuffed Cinnamon Bun bikkies in some vain attempt to scroll back to the 80's & 90's, you really need to re-evaluate your whole approach, get 'with it' (suggest biting ends off TimTams and sucking rum / brandy into them at least) and maybe chuck out that Royal Doulton tea set and the Queen Anne furniture... And why the hankering for American Kraft/Heinz Nabisco Coffee anyway? ... No wonder your spellings all up the shoot!
😁 PW

73sydney

Didn't do Aeroplane (are you American 😛) mode thing (seldom do), just the wipes and reboot suggested as stated...

Did work!; by 'did this', I mean I did exactly what rodken prescribed (no need nor mention of full uninstalling G Pay again!) 'and it did the trick' for me. 👍

By 'I think the reboot made the difference', I mean my original fix, while allowing Contactless payment to work, was flawed...

If I had also rebooted after wiping G Pay app data, I believe I would have both fixed Contactless Payment setup (security requirement) issue, 'Google Pay is currently updating' would have completed and I should have avoided broken Activity list...

In short, if you get
View attachment 5632189
and see 'Your phone does not meet the security requirements' in Contactless setup, clearing Google Pay app data won't fix it.

Fix by
(but now

View attachment 5632207
won't complete...)
2) Clear Google Pay app data and reboot. (I'm not 100% sure full uninstall / reinstall of G Pay app, which I did, is not necessary here, but I now suspect it isn't).

View attachment 5632235
and, after payments
View attachment 5632237
👍

View attachment 5632241
for Oreo Double Stuffed Cinnamon Bun bikkies in some vain attempt to scroll back to the 80's & 90's, you really need to re-evaluate your whole approach, get 'with it' (suggest biting ends off TimTams and sucking rum / brandy into them at least) and maybe chuck out that Royal Doulton tea set and the Queen Anne furniture... And why the hankering for American Kraft/Heinz Nabisco Coffee anyway? ... No wonder your spellings all up the shoot!
😁 PW

The airplane mode thing in what i call the "standard" Google Pay Fix, was always to me to avoid Google Play Store reconnecting before the reboot

Im a secret American

tangcla

Sep 10, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
www.tangcla.com
(but now

View attachment 5632207
won't complete...)

View attachment 5632235
I'm in the same predicament as you were - I cleared Google Pay data, rebooted, and when I started it again, it asked me for the Google account and then I'm back to the 'updating' screen. How long should it take to update?

EDIT: Jumped the gun, tried again after 5 mins and we're good!

Reactions: pndwal and 73sydney

Ryoncz

Dec 7, 2014
Strakonice

View attachment 5630005

View attachment 5630011

View attachment 5630017

Thank you, this help me a lot. ❤️

varunpilankar

Jul 8, 2012
Sony Xperia SP
Moto X
Things to try?

1) Make sure you do not have a visible TWRP folder on internal memory - if you do and have a backup in there, rename the folder until you need it, or alternately move it off device

2) Make sure you are using the most up to date Magisk your device supports, and set MagiskHide or Zygisk (dependent on Magisk version) and relevant apps set to hide (do not hide all apps like an insane person). Consider installing Shamiko if using current Magisk 24.x with Zygisk

All details here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/discussion-magisk-the-age-of-zygisk.4393877/

3) Make sure you do not have any of the known apps/modules that are known to cause issues, this include "tweak" apps/scripts like FDE.AI or (badly configured) EdXposed (on older Magisk) - which are noted here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...s-of-gms-17-1-22-on-pie.3929950/post-79643248

4) If you have any magisk modules installed, try toggling them off and retrying (you;d be surprised what will give up root, something as benign as a font module will betray you)

5) And despite having a SafetyNet pass and certification in Google Play, and perhaps after 4) above, i would still give the standard troubleshooting steps of clearing data as in the three posts above this one ↑ a go....

6) Consider running RootBeer to see what may be triggering root detection, if at all

As always, i prolly try these things in this order for a possible "quick fix":

1, 5 and 6 - 5 has solved an awful lot of issues by itself...

And sometimes it will just resolve itself after a few days...GPay is sometimes a weird beast....
I tried this but still no luck..

Any other way around?

simika

May 19, 2012
Rome
Amazon Fire TV

In short, if you get
View attachment 5632189

Fix by
(but now

View attachment 5632207
won't complete...)

View attachment 5632235
and, after payments
View attachment 5632237
👍

View attachment 5632241
😁 PW
yes, this worked for me :) thank you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

IMG_20220604_135028.jpg

IMG_20220604_133229.jpg

IMG_20220604_134358.jpg

Confuzzled, do you mean the usual

* Airplane mode on
    * Wipe data of Play Services, Play Store and Google Pay
    * Reboot
    * Airplane mode off

didnt work...you had to fully uninstall pay as well?

In short, if you get
    IMG_20220604_110358.jpg

Fix by
    (but now

IMG_20220604_133229.jpg

won't complete...)

IMG_20220604_134358.jpg

and, after payments
    IMG_20220607_162612.jpg

👍

IMG_20220607_163018.jpg

😁 PW
    (but now

View attachment 5632207
    won't complete...)

View attachment 5632235
    I'm in the same predicament as you were - I cleared Google Pay data, rebooted, and when I started it again, it asked me for the Google account and then I'm back to the 'updating' screen. How long should it take to update?

EDIT: Jumped the gun, tried again after 5 mins and we're good!
    Bummer....Google Services are sometimes a mystery unto themselves
    Especially, with the beta version of Google Play Services.

View attachment 5630005

View attachment 5630011

View attachment 5630017

Thats slightly bonkers, wouldnt think it would be a database issue as a data clear would handle that, maybe some backend Google Pay thingy? The only issue i ever had with Google Pay was one of those rare error codes where you have to contact Google Pay and they reset it from their end..24-48 hour turnaround. In my case it was an issue where the originating bank (my bank) spammed their backend with false data when i was adding my card after a ROM flash

Ponkles
    The new Google Play services update caused this.

Temporary workaround:

1. Disable Google Pay/Find My Device as Device Administrators in Settings > Security & location > Device Administrators.

2. Search "Google Play services" in the Settings search bar.

3. Press the three dots and press "Uninstall previous updates".

4. Download this update - https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-services/google-play-services-14-7-99-release/
    Pick your needed edition (arm or arm64, etc.), download it and install it.

5. Disable Background data access for Google Play Services and Google Play in their respective App Info pages.

6. Download Google Pay from the Play Store.

7. Set up your cards. Enjoy!

Never EVER update Google Play services manually, until a Magisk update is available that bypasses the upgraded SafetyNet. Note that Google Play services is responsible for adding/verifying the card, not the Google Pay app! Hence why there seems to be an overlay when adding a card/verifying an existing one.

Tested Google Pay versions:

2.79.x-2.83.235070858 - working

Tested Google Play services versions:

14.7.99, 16.0.86 - working with Magisk 18.1

14.8.49-16.x- working with Magisk 18.2 Canary
    Ok. I tried this and it worked on gms 17.1.22, allowing one to add cards and pay in store. Warning YMMV, but this is the process I did to get this working. One caveat is that Google pay does not register the "recent transactions" on the Google pay app. Another caveat is that I suspect users will have to reverse some step if gms is updated and then reapply, but this still needs to be confirmed

Without further ado, here is my process:

1) download a SQL database editor. I used

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomminosoftware.sqliteeditor&hl=en_US

2) download a terminal emulator program. I used terminus but any terminal emulator should work.

3) make sure Google pay is forced close, if it is open.

4) open SQL editor. Navigate to /data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases

5) open dg.db

6) change any value that lists "attest" in the name (first column) to 0 in the third column. Mine was showing a value of 10 in the third column for each of these values. (Column c for sqlite databse editor I used)

7) open the terminal emulator.

8) get root access (su)

9) cd /data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases

10) type: chmod 440 dg.db
    This makes dg.db read only (for owner and group, and no access for world.)

11) reboot

I suspect when gms is updated, one will have to go back to steps 10 and 11 and chmod 660 dg.db to allow new keys to be written to the database, and then go back and redo all these steps to reset the attestation values back to 0.

If there is still an error, verify in sqlite database editor that all attest release keys values in dg.db are 0 when dg.db is read only (owner and group).

Again, YMMV but this worked for me, so I give it back to the community now.

Edit: recent activities did show up soon afterwards for the payment method.

Cheers,
    B.D.
    This thread is inspired by the PoGo Magisk discussion thread. It's meant to keep the clutter of "Google Pay doesn't work" posts out of the main Magisk threads.

Please use this to discuss issues with Google Pay and possible solutions.

There's a working solution here:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/magisk-google-pay-gms-17-1-22-pie-t3929950
    And a Magisk Module for it here:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/ap...7-1-22-pie-t3929950/post79643248#post79643248

For general tips on first getting SafetyNet to pass fully, check here:
    https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk/MagiskHide#hn_SafetyNet
    So here's the app to check fails_attestation value. The source code is available here. I may also implement a quick way to delete the gms data folder if you want.
    All you really need to do to fix this is:
    1. Add Google Services to Magisk Hide (if you're on Magisk 18.1 use "su magiskhide --add com.google.android.gms" in terminal)
    2. Add Google Pay and Google Services Framework to Magisk Hide
    3. Go to data/data and rename com.google.android.gms to com.google.android.gms.bak for example (or delete it altogether, but backing up seems safer)

Reboot and do whatever you like in GPay, it should work now. That's all I've done. I don't think you need to reinstall Magisk.