[DISCUSSION] Google Pixel 2 Camera app port vs Samsung Galaxy s8 stock app

Search This thread

khanvict90

Dec 30, 2010
You can clearly tell that the camera app on the s8 is trash why is it so bad? Cant they optimize the camera?

Just took the pictures with the same settings without flash left one is stock samsung right one is google pixel 2 app port

Attachments

• 20180111_223041.jpg
    20180111_223041.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 2,153
  • IMG_20180111_223025.jpg
    IMG_20180111_223025.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 2,163
Last edited:

Marvinho+

Sep 22, 2017
Well, I wouldn't say that the stock app is "trash". Last year it was one of the best cameras and now it's trash? Probably not :D
Stock Cam still takes great pics in normal situations. And in low light it's better than the Gcam-port, because there is less noise in the stock app. But when taking portrait or HDR pictures... Damn that google cam is good!
By the way: There are some versions of the port, where HDR+ works even better than it does in the version with portrait mode(I'm on Exynos). I'm using "Gcam...1.3dAllinone". You can google this version or just wait one or two weeks until, there is a version, that can do both great.

pogi.paul0119

Mar 14, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
Well, I wouldn't say that the stock app is "trash". Last year it was one of the best cameras and now it's trash? Probably not :D
Stock Cam still takes great pics in normal situations. And in low light it's better than the Gcam-port, because there is less noise in the stock app. But when taking portrait or HDR pictures... Damn that google cam is good!
By the way: There are some versions of the port, where HDR+ works even better than it does in the version with portrait mode(I'm on Exynos). I'm using "Gcam...1.3dAllinone". You can google this version or just wait one or two weeks until, there is a version, that can do both great.
If you can post photos from two cameras .. so we can compare the two..

maderos

Sep 24, 2011
Gcam port is not even better. It's way better than stock Samsung camera apk. Gcam produces more natural pics. Not oversharpened like Sam does. Just try it and judge by yourself. Easy.

Wysłane z S8

MrDanMak

I guess it's subjective how you feel about quality.

Attached are both HDR images, one with the latest stable GCam (without portrait mode) and the other taken with the Samsung camera. Both taken without messing around with any settings other than enabling HDR.

The image with the Samsung camera is much bright and less compressed with an ISO of 200, whereas the the GCam image is darker, way more compressed and an ISO of 349.

I noticed the Samsung camera has a faster shutter speed which is interesting considering how bright the image is.

Anyway I'll let you judge the rest for yourselves.

Attachments

• GCam.jpg
    GCam.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 954
  • SamCam.jpg
    SamCam.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 953

maderos

Sep 24, 2011
What is the size of those pics? With highest settings i got about 11 MB from Gcam and about 4 MB from Samcam. And try to take photos from same position.

Wysłane z S8

MrDanMak

What is the size of those pics? With highest settings i got about 11 MB from Gcam and about 4 MB from Samcam. And try to take photos from same position.

Wysłane z S8

Around 6MB with SamCam and 3MB with GCam.

I have just downloaded the 1.5Beta2 from Arnova so will test this out. Not sure why the image flipped when I uploaded it but they were both same position.

Will post more images after more tests. Probably some outdoor tests.

Reactions: torr310 and maderos

Marvinho+

Sep 22, 2017

I have just downloaded the 1.5Beta2 from Arnova so will test this out. Not sure why the image flipped when I uploaded it but they were both same position.

BTW: HDR is best used in situations, where you have very bright and very dark areas in the same picture. For example taking a photo against the sun. That's where Google's HDR+ really shines. At least in my opinion.

MrDanMak

Wysłane z S8

Ok, much better results with GCam this time round. First pic is the GCam result with the following output:

ISO: 50
Shutter speed: 1/454
File size: 2.7MB

SamCam result output:

ISO: 40
Shutter speed: 1/564
File size: 7.8MB

Really interesting to see better colour with GCam. On closer inspection I see that SamCam produces better detail. Might be to do with B-S-G settings maybe.

My GCam B-S-G:

Config HDR+: Nexus 6 Auto
Model: Pixel 2XL
HDR+ Parameters: Default

Let me know if any changes may produce better results.

Otherwise I'm pleasantly surprised. Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: buzzboy and torr310

MrDanMak

Try to use higher setting for hdr+ mode. I got "high" and 100% output jpg file.

Wysłane z S8

I've now switched cams to the one I've linked to in my GDrive. It allows me to use Pixel 2XL as the Model and Nexus 6 Hdr+ Auto as the Config. HDR+ is set to Super High and Final jpg quality is set to 100%

Camera: MGC_5.1.016_7.0+C2API_v.1.3d_AllinOne.apk

Images are higher quality and higher in size with this version.

More photos to come later :)

squall_kay

Dec 24, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I've now switched cams to the one I've linked to in my GDrive. It allows me to use Pixel 2XL as the Model and Nexus 6 Hdr+ Auto as the Config. HDR+ is set to Super High and Final jpg quality is set to 100%

thanks for sharing.
for HDR+ (not working portrait it's ok), tried from your link above, but can't get it work. any ideas? mine exynos version. only black screen.

for portrait im using from below link and it's work. in fact it's HDR function also works (no portrait from selfie cam yet though).
https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s7/themes/google-camera-hdr-t3687312/post75118407#post75118407

torr310

Mar 26, 2011
Mine results with Galaxy S8 Active T-Mobile

I attached my results using stock and G-Cam. The properties of the pictures are attached too. The G-Cam has an orange basketball mark on the upper right corner.

Both have HDR enabled. I couldn't tell the difference though. ?

Attachments

• 20180113_221304.jpg
    20180113_221304.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 957
  • 20180113_221227.jpg
    20180113_221227.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 943
  • Screenshot_20180113-221814.jpg
    Screenshot_20180113-221814.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 924
  • Screenshot_20180113-221748.jpg
    Screenshot_20180113-221748.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 899

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try to use higher setting for hdr+ mode. I got "high" and 100% output jpg file.

Wysłane z S8

Wysłane z S8

Wysłane z S8

Ok, much better results with GCam this time round. First pic is the GCam result with the following output:

ISO: 50
    Shutter speed: 1/454
    File size: 2.7MB

SamCam result output:

ISO: 40
    Shutter speed: 1/564
    File size: 7.8MB

Really interesting to see better colour with GCam. On closer inspection I see that SamCam produces better detail. Might be to do with B-S-G settings maybe.

My GCam B-S-G:

Config HDR+: Nexus 6 Auto
    Model: Pixel 2XL
    HDR+ Parameters: Default

Let me know if any changes may produce better results.

Otherwise I'm pleasantly surprised. Let me know your thoughts.