[Discussion] HTC One M8 - Updates

Search This thread

10rdan

Sep 3, 2013
Well I think HTC has made a big mistake in not updating M8 with 5.1.

I know they need to concentrate on M9 and try to turn around its lack of sales, but one of the main reasons it isn't selling is because the M8 is probably, in the real world, just as good. So, anyone with an M8 is goin to be hacked off about no 5.1 update, especially as it was announced it was goin to get it, and those folk may well feel let down and NOT buy an HTC handset again.

Basically, it could further damage future HTC sales.

Just my opinion.

Neo XL

Feb 24, 2006
Kassel
OPPO Reno 10x Zoom
This is exactly, what i think about HTC. It´s a big mistake, to annoy the users of the M8, because they are the buyers of tomorrow. M9 was not a big deal - too expensive, in the specs to near by the M8, much trouble at the MWC, service problems and not enough optical innovations. M10 will not be selled only by new customers.

Angry old customers look around at other manufacturers - i think, there is no light in the sky for HTC, if they will go on in this way. For me M8 was my last HTC after 13 years with around 30 HTC devices (some twice), because i´m very upset about updates and i have made an extremely bad experience with the support in this year.

Last edited:

woodydog

May 19, 2012
OHIO
I feel the same as the other 2 posters. This is my 4th htc phone and the lack of updates this year is upsetting. Now you know how they are going to update the m9 next year. So why would I buy a m10. Im ditching htc when the LG nexus drops

Reactions: Neo XL

Neo XL

Feb 24, 2006
Kassel
OPPO Reno 10x Zoom
The problem with updates is this: What HTC announces today, is the disclaimer of tomorrow - look at the promises they made to the owners of the minis... now they don´t get the update to lollipop - Mini2 is also one year old. In a few month you may read, that the hardware of the m8 is not able to get the update to 6.0, as they´ve done it many times in the last years. The developers here on XDA showed, that this wasn´t the truth. HTC cheats their customers, when they buy a new device. Updates for two years, but they don´t tell, how many updates in this time. The actual market situation is self-inflicted.

Last edited:

high_voltage

Jun 7, 2011
He says they will update directly to 6.0, so no big deal for me...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

They also said early this year that sense 7 will come with 5.1 in the summer. HTC stated that numerous times. Summer comes and bam - no 5.1 and 6.0 somewhere in the future. They don't even give some timeframe(not like they keep that too). Now put in consideration HTC current financial state and how that will affect the software development. :)

Yes, maybe M8 will get some half-baked bad update that our trusty devs will try desperately to bring to some useful state, but it will be next year and God's knows when as they will put all the working force to m9 and now new phones comes from them as aero. HTC is just awful at updating their phones(oh, I know that, I had 3 of them - desire hd, htc one x, M8 currently) and that was when they had money, now? Also let's not forget that every decent developer working in htc will run away to more secure working environment + where they pay bonuses. And last, but not least - when we get sense7 there will be sense8 out ;). Just my opinion and I really hope I am wrong.

The problem with updates is this: What HTC announces today, is the disclaimer of tomorrow - look at the promises they made to the owners of the minis... now they don´t get the update to lollipop - Mini2 is also one year old. In a few month you may read, that the hardware of the m8 is not able to get the update to 6.0, as they´ve done it many times in the last years. The developers here on XDA showed, that this wasn´t the truth. HTC cheats their customers, when they buy a new device. Updates for two years, but they don´t tell, how many updates in this time. The actual market situation is self-inflicted.

Still remember their lies about desire hd and ICS :D

Actually HTC is the worst more notable phone manufacturer about updating their phones. Low budget phones --->really bad support from all, but most of the others keep up to date their mid range phones for some time and all of them update their old flagship phones. Ha, even some update 2y+ old models.

Badelhas

Aug 12, 2012
Braga
They also said early this year that sense 7 will come with 5.1 in the summer. HTC stated that numerous times. Summer comes and bam - no 5.1 and 6.0 somewhere in the future. They don't even give some timeframe(not like they keep that too). Now put in consideration HTC current financial state and how that will affect the software development. :)

Yes, maybe M8 will get some half-baked bad update that our trusty devs will try desperately to bring to some useful state, but it will be next year and God's knows when as they will put all the working force to m9 and now new phones comes from them as aero. HTC is just awful at updating their phones(oh, I know that, I had 3 of them - desire hd, htc one x, M8 currently) and that was when they had money, now? Also let's not forget that every decent developer working in htc will run away to more secure working environment + where they pay bonuses. And last, but not least - when we get sense7 there will be sense8 out ;). Just my opinion and I really hope I am wrong.

Actually HTC is the worst more notable phone manufacturer about updating their phones. Low budget phones --->really bad support from all, but most of the others keep up to date their mid range phones for some time and all of them update their old flagship phones. Ha, even some update 2y+ old models.
Your right. Motorola, for instance.

navid0308

Oct 14, 2012
Dhaka

I often see frustrated customers because their damage isn't covered under warranty! I think HTC is nitpicking to even avoid providing warranty :\ and given their current state, I don't think M8 will get sense 7 anytime soon. Can't wait to go back to iPhone! No delays with updates, the 4/4s are still getting updates :\

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
If i dont get update who fix this battery Life until December, last HTC phone, and i will unlock it

Unlock it now, and fix your battery life problem. I'm getting close to KitKat levels of endurance, but it did require a bit of effort and tools that require root.

As for the other, the M8 is my first HTC device - I was a Samsung user before that. I switched to the HTC camp over Knox and encrypted bootloaders, and the resultant anemic dev community. I really hate to switch at this point, especially now that so many phone manufacturers are dropping SD cards and not offering bootloader unlocks.

woodydog

May 19, 2012
OHIO
Unlock it now, and fix your battery life problem. I'm getting close to KitKat levels of endurance, but it did require a bit of effort and tools that require root.

As for the other, the M8 is my first HTC device - I was a Samsung user before that. I switched to the HTC camp over Knox and encrypted bootloaders, and the resultant anemic dev community. I really hate to switch at this point, especially now that so many phone manufacturers are dropping SD cards and not offering bootloader unlocks.

Yeah you're in good shape if you came from Samsung. I was with the s3 and first thing I did was root to get rid of touch jiz and flash aokp. Not the same with htc. I've been very happy with sence till the long spell of no updates. It's happening with the m8 now. Look in the development section almost all the action is in asop an cm roms now sence is dying out. If I got to run asop or cm I'm going nexus

Firehawk989

Sep 23, 2013
This is exactly, what i think about HTC. It´s a big mistake, to annoy the users of the M8, because they are the buyers of tomorrow. M9 was not a big deal - too expensive, in the specs to near by the M8, much trouble at the MWC, service problems and not enough optical innovations. M10 will not be selled only by new customers.

Angry old customers look around at other manufacturers - i think, there is no light in the sky for HTC, if they will go on in this way. For me M8 was my last HTC after 13 years with around 30 HTC devices (some twice), because i´m very upset about updates and i have made an extremely bad experience with the support in this year.

Not sure about the other big manufacturers, but Samsung is way worse with updates, (My flagship Note 10.1 2014 is still stuck on Lollipop) plus they have all that Knox and encrypted bootloader nonsense.

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
Yes, my bad! My brain is in a bad place right now from a carrier provided firmware update for my M8 that is giving me no end of trouble. About to run an RUU to try and fix it since all other attempts at downgrading the firmware have failed. :mad:

Unless you are on a CDMA carrier, I would suggest getting off the carrier supplied BS train. I'm on AT&T, so I went with the Developer Edition (virtually the same ROM/FW). For other variants, the WWE seems to be the go-to non-carrier version of choice. I sleep better at night knowing the only thing AT&T on my phone is the network indicator and tramp stamp on the back.

Reactions: JellyKitkatLoli

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OTA ZIP COLLECTION

HAS MOVED HERE
    Ota is in sdcard/Download. Can share right on the cloud from phone so devs can cook in a few hrs [emoji12]

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

No, OTA in /cache/update.zip
    Here uploaded to androidfilehost.com
    HTC_ONE_M8_GPE_5_07_1700_6_MRA85K_H6.zip
    Good luck!
    I totally fail to understand why people think they can tell other people to get a life instead of waiting for the MM update.

We are all here on XDA because we are interested in mobile phones, interested highly above average. We like what they can do and how they look. Getting a major OS update makes the phone feel like almost a new device. I for one look forward to what MM brings, like Android pay, better app permissions control en hopefully better battery life. I like updates to my device that make it better. Of course I want that as soon as possible, of course I'm eager and very curious. If you couldn't care less about that, what are you doing in this thread and on XDA anyway?

And stop saying we shouldn't expect anything from HTC or be happy with whatever they do. They sell us expensive phones they will support for two years. MM has come out so it's completely logical they bring it to the 2014 HTC One M8. That's not charity from their part, that's their obligation. If you ask me, all brands' support for their products is very poor anyway. Millions of people are walking around with unpatched devices vulnerable to many attacks, that you really can't call old.

Having said all that, that doesn't mean we should all complain or whine about it. But please understand that people's enthousiasm about the coming update leads to disappointment when they don't even make it in the announced 2 weeks since the dec 3rd announcement for North America. Is there any logical reason why there should be any difference in launch dates between parts of the world? This shouldn't be about bugs begin squashed, you don't use one continent as beta testers for the other continent. You should have a beta test group for that.
    I personally still don't have a clue why many people in general are so hyped up and even bashing HTC about the updates and why it's not released for all regions at once. we get the update that's fair enough.

HTC should be wise and don't say a single word about updates and an eta. It would be the best for many users. And it would be better for the xda servers because it would contain less spam !

lol

:)
    ANNOUNCEMENT

Lol got your attention?:D:D:D

Shortly I will be taking over the Collection of stock backups thread and the awesome work that the good @Mr Hofs has done to date. I plan to move the OTA collection into there so Nand backups and OTA files are in once place

This means that if you need to restore and update on stock and have any issues getting OTA files over the air. everything that you need will be in one place.

WHAT DO WE RECKON PEEPS???

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

HTC_621
    OTA_M8_UL_K444_SENSE60_MR_hTC_Asia_TW_3.28.709.6-3.28.709.5_release_400843m59k8z7s9vk0sv1g

Here you go m8: http://d-h.st/iGNq

Updated, cheers dude :)