[Discussion] ICS On Xperia Play

Search This thread

Red_Kop

May 18, 2011
I never tried that rom , but I attached a few screen shots from cosmicdans miui rom...

...with cosmicdans miui you can have all the best parts of the xperia play with any kindve look and feel that you want it plays most games very well and touhcpads work .. its a win win IMO..

Does OnLive work with cosmicdans miui?

I installed XDARK ICS today and now the hardware buttons don't work but PERVERSELY the touchpads now work in it...it was the other way around in stock.

I hate the touchpads to be honest, I cannot use them properly myself so I'd be interested in getting recommendations for ICS roms that work 100% with the hardware buttons...

216Monster

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
Does OnLive work with cosmicdans miui?

I installed XDARK ICS today and now the hardware buttons don't work but PERVERSELY the touchpads now work in it...it was the other way around in stock.

I hate the touchpads to be honest, I cannot use them properly myself so I'd be interested in getting recommendations for ICS roms that work 100% with the hardware buttons...

The touch pads and hardware buttons all work 100% in the miui builds

and I'm pretty sure they work in markphytons stock ics build as well

Idk about Onlive, I never use it though

Sent from my R800x using xda premium

Red_Kop

May 18, 2011
Thanks...

Just a quickie then since I'm new to custom roms...

I've installed Doom Kernal today...

Can I now just get a miui rom, put it on my SD Card and load the new rom via doom kernal?

Or do I have to use different Kernals for different roms etc?

Thanks

ps. If anyone can test OnLive with miui, I'd appreciate that too.

(30

Sep 28, 2012
hamunahpthra
what about gta 3 on ics for xplay markphyton ics 4.0.4 stock
what ics rom is good to play gta on xperia play ics?

216Monster

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
Thanks...

Just a quickie then since I'm new to custom roms...

I've installed Doom Kernal today...

Can I now just get a miui rom, put it on my SD Card and load the new rom via doom kernal?

Or do I have to use different Kernals for different roms etc?

Thanks

ps. If anyone can test OnLive with miui, I'd appreciate that too.

For miui you will need cosmicdans miui kernel otherwise rom will not boot, it has a very nice expanded data partition of 671mb internal memory and its very nice on battery even at 1.4ghz, ans yes all you will need to do is put the rom on ur sd card and install it. The rom uses a newer aroma installer method with some nice options as well.

D

Deleted member 4932462

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1952220&highlight=cm9

Yeah I know one which is AWESOME, it's name is P.A.C Man and it's creator Wedgess. This rom is a mixture of CyanogenMod, Paranoid, AOKP and MIUI and has the working touchpads and gamepads, but don't expect it to be as good as gingerbread for gaming :D

Here you have the link to the ROM thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1952220&highlight=cm9

crazymonkey05

Apr 1, 2012
stilwell, OK
Does anyone else think that perhaps this is a precursor to a "Xperia Play 2"? Think about it; the physical hardware probably wouldn't change much (same buttons, slider configuration, similar screen size). The main difference would be the hardware "underneath" (quad core, tegra, etc.) and the software. By dropping ICS off for the original Xperia Play, they can turn around and say the new model runs the superior ICS (and will surely get an update to jellybean)

To let you know they did update the play to ICS but only beta if you unlock and download from sonys website, they didn't make it official because of gaming issues

Sent from my GBTweaked v7.1 r800x using Tapatalk 2

kgtau

Nov 18, 2012
hello everybody

what is the stable ICS ROM for Xperia Play with full game support ??

is Stock ICS Xperia Play 4.1.B.0.431 Final + Patch 3 in here is recomended ??

and is it true ICS isn't good as GB for gaming ?

sorry for the noobs question

Thanks before :D

Last edited:

cippi21

Nov 24, 2011
mullingar
I used that as my daily driver and i found it quite good i use to have about 130mb of ram and the battery life was quite good...as for the gameing situation icsi good bu not as good as gb...ics uses more resources than gb and the game compatability is not as good

lris

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S10+
hello everybody

what is the stable ICS ROM for Xperia Play with full game support ??

is Stock ICS Xperia Play 4.1.B.0.431 Final + Patch 3 in here is recomended ??

and is it true ICS isn't good as GB for gaming ?

sorry for the noobs question

Thanks before :D

i used this until now (few Days)

but can't tell you because in this need for speed most wanted runned in black screen, and batery is only for less than 24 Hours (With doomkernel and lopus)

Last edited:

bhavei

Nov 13, 2011
Me im using markpython w/ 480p lupus kernel, battery is good so is gaming, gb games like eternal legacy doesnt work but most new games does work, like The new shadow gun, asphalt 7 and most wanted. Minimum 800mhz and maximum 1.4ghz. My overall gaming experiance? 90% satisfied. I leave the 10 to the gingerbread games. Btw im using the Xperia S messaging contacts and the sony app like album and movie, I even have timescape and facebook. But still as smooth as silk. Another thing, im not using any ram expander. Just as it is.

sent from Xperia PLAY™ via Tapatalk™

smokerman

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 15, 2012
Esposende
smokermanxda.blogspot.pt
OnePlus 8
hi all..i read about it but i cant make it work..is there anyway to flash a ftf based on ICS for locked bootloaders?? and a custom rom? coz i try that and i have black screen..so i flash again with GB firmware..sorry for the noob questions..i just have my xplay since yesterday..and i m loving it.:D:D:D

Shadowcult

Nov 17, 2012
Help..

I flashed my Xperia play with flashtool and selected kernel ( PLAY-ICS-Beta-DooMKernel-v03_boot ) to flash it and it somehow worked but now it keeps on rebooting to the recovery

smokerman

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 15, 2012
Esposende
smokermanxda.blogspot.pt
OnePlus 8
Help..

I flashed my Xperia play with flashtool and selected kernel ( PLAY-ICS-Beta-DooMKernel-v03_boot ) to flash it and it somehow worked but now it keeps on rebooting to the recovery

do you have unlocked bootloader???

if you have locked bootloader like me just flash stock firmware..phone will boot up again.:D

see my sig..it worked for me.

Reactions: iRhyiku

Shadowcult

Nov 17, 2012
do you have unlocked bootloader???

if you have locked bootloader like me just flash stock firmware..phone will boot up again.:D

see my sig..it worked for me.

I just need to install the stock firmware to the phone using the doom kernel problem is I cannot locate the stock firmware within the doomkernel and it just keeps on rebooting.. Tried connecting my phone with USB so I could put the stock firmware into the SD card but it cannot read the sd card anymore after I flashed my phone..

jksell07

Mar 5, 2011
Trapped in the MidWest
I just need to install the stock firmware to the phone using the doom kernel problem is I cannot locate the stock firmware within the doomkernel and it just keeps on rebooting.. Tried connecting my phone with USB so I could put the stock firmware into the SD card but it cannot read the sd card anymore after I flashed my phone..

U can't use flashtool? I might be way off but I think I remember reading about someone in a bootloop being able to get out thru flashtool.

Last edited:

Steikas

Nov 29, 2012

Flash custom kernel via fastboot, then go back to flashtool choose flashmode and select your FW, in right window make sure you checked "exclude kernel" "wipe data" "wipe cache" and click OK

Last edited:

Shadowcult

Nov 17, 2012
HI,

I was able to successfully install ICS in my Xperia Play from Markphyton, I used this guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2020981 from his thread and it helps a lot for noobs like me.

I have a problem though, before I installed the ICS I had a sudden problem with network signal whenever I am indoors, it shows I have signal but I can't send msg or even call, I thought that by installing ICS (noob) would actually resolve the problem but its not so its still the same issue for me.

so in short I still have the signal problem before I installed ICS and even after I installed.. nothing changed..

Is there something I could do to resolve this like install something in it to get signal even indoor?? I've been searching thru the websites and I can't get any useful solution. :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright, here we go:
    I, as a developer of the Xperia PLAY was fully confident an ICS update would be released, and I have just found out it will not be. Not am I only disappointed in Sony, I find their excuses pathetic. They have shafted us here...
    Because of this, I am now not going to buy any other Xperia product, or ANY Sony smartphone.
    You can't promise an OTA, then change your mind. Games on the beta worked fine, it wouldn't take much for the developers to update them...

And now Sony, you have made Android fragmentation worse than it was, and what happens to ICS only games? Do we get them?

Sony, you can't be trusted. You change your mind too much. I should have known after the X10 thing.

After all this, I will still continue development.

Sent from my Xperia Play using Tapatalk 2
    This Thread will be here for all the discussion regarding Sony, Xperia Play, & ICS myself & Techno-update will be monitering it. Keep it clean!

All other threads related to ICS on the Xperia Play & Sony's Stance on updating will be closed & link to this thread.

Pax
    FSM Sony Ericsson Xperia Play
    Alright alright alright...

I will make sure myself, that the Xperia PLAY gets the same kernel/ROM updates as the other 2011 line by porting the ROM across.

Unless Sony change their mind of course....

/end of -#@@@&@&#5%££-£+£ ranting threads please.

Let's start from the beginning. The Play, from a pure hardware view, can run ICS. Sony, HTC and other companies are releasing hardware with ICS and lower specs than the Play (Tapioca, Desire C). We've seen that the beta runs mighty fine in the performance department, and it's obvious that the job can be finished if Sony cares to do so.

However, this is a matter of the gaming ecosystem. In short: the only companies Sony cares about are the big names like EA, Gameloft, Rockstar, etc. as they make the big majority of the Play game sales.

However, with regard to development, the Play is not important to those big names: they see it as "the redheaded stepchild Android", because they have to make extra effort to make it work with the game pads, instead of easily deploying the code in it like they do in the whole different platforms they code for (not only mobile phones, but smart TV's, console-related app stores, Steam and so on). Sony bribed those big developers with a lot of cash (remember all those free EA games and temporary exclusives?) so that the Play remained visible.

Fast forward to now. Gingerbread is present in a good 60% of Android Play Store-running hardware. ICS has only like.a 4%. Android is the best selling platform, with, let's say 500 million active devices. If my numbers are not wrong, that gives 300M GB devices 20M ICS ones. Developing with ICS in mind implies higher development costs, because you have to study the new features and use them. And of course, big name developers target wide audiences: by default they'll program with Gingerbread in mind, so they couldn't care less about ICS right now.

Someone mentioned Windows 7 incompatibility with old games: there is actually a Compatibility mode which was mainly designed for the purpose of using older games. Now Steam has taken care of that, which suits MS fine.

With the ICS upgrade, Sony probably contacted their "partners" and asked them to update their software (basically switch from the Sony custom gamepad framework to Google's standard one which Sony probably contributed themselves) for it to work properly in ICS, like they do in Sony gaming platforms. But unlike the PlayStations, it's those big name developers who are in control now, particularly in Android. Therefore, they showed Sony the middle finger.

Indie developers, on the other hand, are much more careful with their code, since they don't have the ability to port a game to twenty platforms and offset the possible losses of one platform with the other one. That means they produce code which is much better tailored to the platform they work on, and you can see it because most indie games work properly in both GB and ICS (note that I'm not talking about the quality of the game itself, but of its code).

TL;DR this is a power struggle between Sony and the big name game developers. The latter have won here, at the expense of the users. Support independent developers but make sure they don't make the "big name" status, because they'll get the need to control everything and screw users like this.

P.S if someone is so unhappy about not having ICS that they don't want that piece of crap lying around in their home, I offer to pay $50 plus shipping for it :)
    Alright,
    I've decided boycotting Sony isn't something I will do, and after reading through a lot of information, I have decided that Sony actually have a valid reason for not pushing out ICS to the public.

However, I still think they are lazy and they can't be bothered to fix a problem, and because not all people use their phone as a gaming device, they should push all their updates out to the developer community.

They can't expect all games to work out of the box, and what they have done is make android fragmentation worse, and ICS games will never be Xperia PLAY optimized. But, they have avoided what could have been a great mess.

I still hope they include our device into the kernel source code for updates that will follow for other devices.

The touch pads were also implemented badly too, and source code for ROM developers as well as documentation should have been released for the touch pads.

Sony shouldn't care whether a game works on an update, that is the game developers problem, and it is up to the game developer to find a fix.

At least we have CM9, and some great developers working on the PLAY.

Another point that frustrates me:
    CyanogenMod 9 was out before any OEM updated their ROM, this shouldn't be right. CM devs are unpaid, and have other jobs to do. If OEM's focused on updating their devices instead of shoving in laggware and bloatware, and dumped their proprietary UI's, android fragmentation would be very low and app compatibility would be high, and updates will be very quick.

I am expecting something from Sony, if we don't get anything, then its a sad sad story for us.

Keiran