[Discussion] Let's Brainstorm a SIM Unlock. (Unlocked Sprint Owners Please Help).

Search This thread

Sapphirerubyxo

Jan 17, 2019
My phone was purchased used off eBay. It said it was unlocked for any carrier. I receive it and popped in my at&t gophone sim. All was fine.

Until...I updated to 8.1. all of a sudden my sim card read invalid. Because it was a Sprint Variant.
Thankfully I fixed it.
I unlocked my bootloader, and installed TWRP, flashed Android Pie and rooted and things are fine now.
However, we had a new ISP installed yesterday and for some reason the 2.4 GHz will not work on my phone. The 5ghz works fine and the 2.4 works on every other device in the house.
Did not have this problem with the old ISP (at&t)
I've cleared my network settings and all that. I'm scared to factory reset as I don't want to go back to possibly having my sim card not work and the wifi issue not be fixed anyway.
Any ideas what it could be?

awireless

Apr 9, 2018
My phone was purchased used off eBay. It said it was unlocked for any carrier. I receive it and popped in my at&t gophone sim. All was fine.

Until...I updated to 8.1. all of a sudden my sim card read invalid. Because it was a Sprint Variant.
Thankfully I fixed it.
I unlocked my bootloader, and installed TWRP, flashed Android Pie and rooted and things are fine now.
However, we had a new ISP installed yesterday and for some reason the 2.4 GHz will not work on my phone. The 5ghz works fine and the 2.4 works on every other device in the house.
Did not have this problem with the old ISP (at&t)
I've cleared my network settings and all that. I'm scared to factory reset as I don't want to go back to possibly having my sim card not work and the wifi issue not be fixed anyway.
Any ideas what it could be?

Read back through the thread im pretty sure someone found out rooting messed up the wifi and they fixed it i think

Sapphirerubyxo

Jan 17, 2019
Read back through the thread im pretty sure someone found out rooting messed up the wifi and they fixed it i think

My wifi has always worked even with being rooted. My wifi still works other places and still works with my old ISP router (they haven't shut it off yet) it's only the new ISP wifi. (the 2.4ghz, the 5ghz works fine). And the 2.4 GHz works on every single device in my house. I'll search through the thread and see if I can find an answer. Thank you.

lifter67

Mar 25, 2009
Quick question, still paying for my Sprint S8+ and it will not be paid off till Aug, I am traveling overseas in March, will using a 3rd party to unlock the phone (unable to payoff early now as I am a furloughed FED at the moment) cause any problems, i.e. not work when im back stateside and back on Sprints network. Thanks.

Vortell

May 27, 2009
Moto E 2015
Hisense Sero 7 Pro
So I'm thinking about buying a ph-1 if I use this method to unlock the phone does it get ota direct from essential or would I still be at the mercy of sprint? Also do custom roms work on sprint version the same as the open version?

bibbin

Apr 24, 2008
Ran the unlock software on my Sprint branded Essential (stock rooted Pie) and it did not unlock, unfortunately. As a matter of fact, it caused a bootloop and forced me to downgrade to 8.1. Thoughts?

sha0skywalker

Jan 24, 2010
If you are unable to complete the unlock tool with your current Pie version, downgrade to 7.1.1 (check out the link in post 631) and run the tool again.

I was getting a 'no command' error using the tool on the April 2019 OTA. Doing the above fixed the issue.

awireless

Apr 9, 2018
If you are unable to complete the unlock tool with your current Pie version, downgrade to 7.1.1 (check out the link in post 631) and run the tool again.

I was getting a 'no command' error using the tool on the April 2019 OTA. Doing the above fixed the issue.

Hey i have seen this error myself i still dont know whats causing it but the solution is to hold power then press volume up button that will get you to recovery mode and wipe data factory reset and reboot the device and continue on with the process. i think it might be a bug with the new update unlocking bootloader.

leopardfist

Aug 25, 2018
Could someone please help me? I ran the unlock tool and got a few errors about not being able to write to a critical partition, but the script advanced sufficiently to ask me to enable usb debugging after the factory reset. However I have lost touch screen ability and have no way to get past the setup screen.

Any ideas? My phone was on a recent Pie build before I tried to unlock it.

I did just read a suggestion to run flashall.bat, but the phone did get downgraded to 7.1 and I need to go back into Settings to enable usb debugging again. I have no touchscreen working. Help?

OKAY [ 0.088s]
finished. total time: 0.088s
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Use the volume buttons to select yes and press power button
Once phone boot's back up go and enable usb debugging
The next step will take a few minutes
Waiting for device
< waiting for any device >
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'nvdef_a' (310 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.101s]
writing 'nvdef_a'...
OKAY [ 0.009s]
finished. total time: 0.110s
sending 'nvdef_b' (310 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.101s]
writing 'nvdef_b'...
OKAY [ 0.010s]
finished. total time: 0.110s
sending 'boot_a' (22009 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.857s]
writing 'boot_a'...
OKAY [ 0.292s]
finished. total time: 1.151s
sending 'boot_b' (22009 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.844s]
writing 'boot_b'...
OKAY [ 0.297s]
finished. total time: 1.156s
erasing 'system_a'...
OKAY [ 48.843s]
sending sparse 'system_a' 1/4 (514048 KB)...
OKAY [ 27.499s]
writing 'system_a' 1/4...
OKAY [ 3.531s]
sending sparse 'system_a' 2/4 (508302 KB)...
OKAY [ 27.536s]
writing 'system_a' 2/4...
OKAY [ 3.935s]
sending sparse 'system_a' 3/4 (512102 KB)...
OKAY [ 29.611s]
writing 'system_a' 3/4...
OKAY [ 3.653s]
sending sparse 'system_a' 4/4 (506199 KB)...
OKAY [ 29.642s]
writing 'system_a' 4/4...
OKAY [ 3.778s]
finished. total time: 178.060s
sending sparse 'system_b' 1/4 (514048 KB)...
OKAY [ 27.454s]
writing 'system_b' 1/4...
OKAY [ 3.578s]
sending sparse 'system_b' 2/4 (508302 KB)...
OKAY [ 28.057s]
writing 'system_b' 2/4...
OKAY [ 4.016s]
sending sparse 'system_b' 3/4 (512102 KB)...
OKAY [ 27.857s]
writing 'system_b' 3/4...
OKAY [ 3.584s]
sending sparse 'system_b' 4/4 (506199 KB)...
OKAY [ 28.641s]
writing 'system_b' 4/4...
OKAY [ 3.701s]
finished. total time: 126.920s
sending 'bluetooth_a' (380 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.094s]
writing 'bluetooth_a'...
OKAY [ 0.016s]
finished. total time: 0.109s
sending 'bluetooth_b' (380 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.109s]
writing 'bluetooth_b'...
OKAY [ 0.000s]
sending 'abl_a' (780 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.125s]
writing 'abl_a'...
FAILED (remote: Flashing is not allowed for Critical Partitions
)
finished. total time: 0.125s
sending 'abl_b' (780 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.109s]
writing 'abl_b'...
)
finished. total time: 0.125s
sending 'dsp_a' (16384 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.609s]
writing 'dsp_a'...
OKAY [ 0.109s]
finished. total time: 0.719s
sending 'dsp_b' (16384 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.609s]
writing 'dsp_b'...
OKAY [ 0.109s]
finished. total time: 0.718s
sending 'modem_a' (87844 KB)...
OKAY [ 2.955s]
writing 'modem_a'...
OKAY [ 0.547s]
finished. total time: 3.517s
sending 'modem_b' (87844 KB)...
OKAY [ 3.390s]
writing 'modem_b'...
OKAY [ 0.547s]
finished. total time: 3.937s
sending 'cmnlib_a' (221 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.094s]
writing 'cmnlib_a'...
)
finished. total time: 0.094s
sending 'cmnlib_b' (221 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.156s]
writing 'cmnlib_b'...
)
finished. total time: 0.547s
sending 'cmnlib64_a' (288 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.094s]
writing 'cmnlib64_a'...
)
sending 'cmnlib64_b' (288 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.172s]
writing 'cmnlib64_b'...
)
finished. total time: 0.625s
sending 'tz_a' (1892 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.158s]
writing 'tz_a'...
)
finished. total time: 0.166s
sending 'tz_b' (1892 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.185s]
writing 'tz_b'...
)
finished. total time: 0.372s
sending 'hyp_a' (252 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.094s]
writing 'hyp_a'...
)
finished. total time: 0.094s
sending 'hyp_b' (252 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.109s]
writing 'hyp_b'...
)
sending 'rpm_a' (228 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.094s]
writing 'rpm_a'...
)
sending 'rpm_b' (228 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.094s]
writing 'rpm_b'...
)
Creating filesystem with parameters:
Size: 109642608640
Block size: 4096
Blocks per group: 32768
Inodes per group: 8192
Inode size: 256
Journal blocks: 32768
Label:
Blocks: 26768215
Block groups: 817
Reserved block group size: 1024
Created filesystem with 11/6692864 inodes and 468189/26768215 blocks
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [ 48.999s]
sending 'userdata' (144263 KB)...
OKAY [ 4.696s]
writing 'userdata'...
OKAY [ 1.211s]
finished. total time: 54.906s
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.018s
Once phone boot's back up go and enable usb debugging
Waiting for phone

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanx to Alu_Potato for nice directions. I have simplified this even more. No need to flash modem files seperately.

Take SIM out.

Pre-Reqs
    1. Install Windows Device Driver for Essential Phone from here: https://storage.googleapis.com/essential-static/Essential-PH1-WindowsDrivers.exe
    2. Install ADB/Fastboot from here: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=746010030569952951
    3. Download my Minimal ADB Fastboot folder, unzip, it includes unzipped build NMK24B & official 8.1beta & platform tools: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pyOlQvkSGQWfrFHot_-avWnLee9r2jGR
    3b. Put entire contents of my minimal adb folder (keeping things looking identical) into your Minimal ADB folder, located under Programs. Overwrite if asked.
    5. Go to settings in your phone>about phone> and tap build number 7x to unlock developer mode.
    5a. Go into developer mode and turn on OEM unlock and USB debugging.

The Process
    1. Connect the phone to the computer.
    2. Authorize the computer for USB debugging on your phone.
    3. Turn phone off. Hold volume down and power simultaneously, until you enter Fastboot Mode.
    4. Go inside your new Minimal ADB folder (in programs), hold shift key and right click (away from items, in white space) select "Open command..."
    4b run "fastboot flashing unlock"
    6. When the phone reboots go through the setup and redo pre-req #5
    7. Repeat step 3.
    8. Run "fastboot flashing unlock_critical"
    9. Repeat steps 6 and 7.
    10. Open Minimal ADB program folder. (Your phone is in Fastboot Mode). Now run the "flashall" file (not flashall.sh) by just double clicking the file. Will reboot when done. Scripts and commands are generating/running.
    ****Not taking flash? Restart bootloader (vol up), Try again****
    10b. You have just flashed NMK24B.
    11. Repeat step 6.
    12. Repeat step 3.
    12b. Hit volume up key until it says "Recovery mode" select power key. You now see a dead Android with his belly open. Next step.
    13. Hold down the power button for a two seconds (keep holding) then press the volume-up button one time. When the menu appears, select Apply update from ADB.
    13b. Open command line in your minimal adb folder. Run "adb devices" See that its recognized.
    13c. Now sideload install by running - adb sideload "location of the Android 8.1 Beta zip" - Important: the quotation marks around the file location need to be there for this to work.
    14a. Find location name by going into Minimal ADB folder. Right click PH1-OTA.zip, select properties, select security tab. *File Path is there at the top next to "object name"
    14b. Type adb sideload "
    14c. Then paste your file name (that you highlighted and copied) and add another " hit enter.

Go thru setup, connect via wifi, phone accepts sim!

***********Connect to WiFi & UPDATE TO OFFICIAL OREO BEFORE LOCKING BOOTLOADER************

Locking Bootloader after taking ota update:
    1. Redo step 9 of "The Process"
    2. Open command line in your Minimal ADB folder. Run "fastboot flashing lock"

That's all
    This process came from hypnz, so give him the credit. Here is a step by step for anyone that needs it. I may have missed some steps with all of the re-enabling of developer options and USB Debugging. Basically, do that every time the phone is erased.

1 Enable Developer Options
    2 Enable USB Debugging
    3 Enable OEM Unlocking
    4 Reboot into bootloader
    a. adb reboot bootloader
    5 Unlock bootloader
    a. fastboot flashing unlock
    6 Reboot
    7 Copy Magisk to phone
    8 ReEnable Developer Options
    9 Enable USB Debugging
    10 Reboot into bootloader
    11 Flash TWRP
    a. fastboot flash boot NMI81C-TWRP.img
    12 Reboot phone
    13 Reboot into recovery
    a. adb reboot recovery
    14 Install Magisk
    15 Reboot phone
    16 Install Partition Backup and Restore from PlayStore
    17 Backup partitions
    18 Copy backups to computer
    19 Reboot to bootloader
    a. adb reboot bootloader
    20 Flash new modemst files
    a. fastboot flash modemst1 modemst1.img
    b. fastboot flash modemst2 modemst2.img
    21 Reboot phone

Stop here if you want to stay rooted and with an unlocked bootloader.

22 Reboot to bootloader
    a. adb reboot bootloader
    23 Run flashall.bat
    24 After reboot enable Developer Options
    25 Enable USB Debugging
    26 Reboot to bootloader
    a. adb reboot bootloader
    27 Lock bootloader
    a. fastboot flashing lock

Here is a link to my dropbox with all of the files.
    https:// www. dropbox. com/sh/oii1j88wa6g7boy/AAC8Yy0W6MxJ8fWelssv9d3Ha?dl=0

If anyone sees a mistake or missed step let me know and I will edit this message.
    I have a few ideas about a possible unlock for the Sprint variant of the Essential Phone.

Summary:
    Basically, it revolves around modifying the value of an item in the nv-data partition that contains the sim lock status.

This method is based on:
    https://xdaforums.com/moto-x/genera...int-xt1056-t2825155/post54338871#post54338871

Possible Solution:
    1. Getting a backup of the nv-data from a locked Sprint phone and an unlocked Sprint phone,
    2. Comparing the items from my locked phone and another locked phone and finding the items that have same value
    3. Comparing the items found in step two to the items from the unlocked sprint phone and possibly finding an item that is different.
    4. Writing the value of the found item to a locked phone and seeing if it becomes unlocked.

How you can help make this solution a reality:
    We need backed up nv-data from at least one locked and one unlocked sprint phone, here is how you can back it up.
    1. Open the dialer and input the secret code *#*#3424#*#*
    2. On this screen enter 000000 and tap confirm (very great for us that essential left the default msl value).
    3. On this screen check the diagnostic mode and close the app.
    4. Download and extract the nv-data reader on a PC [url]http://phonegeek.us/NV-items_reader_writer.rar[/URL]
    5. Connect your phone, in device manager, a new Qualcomm device should appear.
    6. Run the program, in the top bar: select the com port (it should be shown in device manager), check both of the boxes in the top bar, and click connect.
    7. Now in the top bar click read, if the log says "Log message: > SPC is correct. Phone unlocked" you have done everything correctly so far. (The unlocked part has nothing to do with the SIM lock status)
    8. Under "Range (Dec):" enter 0 to 07300 and click read (07233 seems to be the last useful value but a little buffer is good)
    9. Save the file with any name you like and send me a private message with it.
    Anyone an idea why I can’t flash the modem partition although it is unlocked and also critical unlocked ??

I haven't gotten mine ordered yet. Maybe you can be the hero I need and let me know if it works for you. Looking at a local essential non sprint if I hear back otherwise may jump on one of the sprint versions.

I was able to get this to work. Apparently you need to be on a build that allows you to flash the modemst partitions. Read what I did below.

This phone was running the latest 8.1 beta, and I would get stuck at "Flashing is not allowed for modem partitions" after unlocking the bootloader, and running the fastboot flashing unlock_critical command. I did go though the process to root with magisk so I could back up the modem partitions, which I think is a good idea. I grabbed the modemst files from jashenberner's dropbox.

I was able to flash the modemst files by first flashing the NMK24B factory image via fastboot.

This build is toward the bottom of this page: https://www.essential.com/developer/current-builds

Then I sideloaded the lastest beta build via recovery found here: https://www.essential.com/developer/beta-builds

After installing the beta I used this guide to install magisk:
    https://xdaforums.com/essential-phone/how-to/guide-rooting-essential-ph-1-magisk-t3701976

I'm now using T-Mobile with the latest 8.1 beta on a "locked" Sprint PH-1. I can confirm that WiFi works fine as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Could someone please re-upload the unlock tool? The download link on Google Drive isn't working any more.

Sorry my drive was getting full and i didn't think anyone still wanted it

Here is the new link https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1b0RVY7KOcrz0oSk680aILGESBmOIILWb?usp=sharing