(Discussion) LG G3 Android 5.0 Lollipop Update

When do you think AndroidL 5.0 will be available for LG G3?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

Zerathul

Aug 14, 2013
I've just upgraded my new d855 from 4.4. (10d) to 5.0 (20h) through OTA last evening. So, it is possible to do it without PC and LG suite, and works just fine ;)

Mine on 4.4 was saying that there is no updates and after connecting to lg suit it updated to 5.0. But if it works without thats good.

frankmalta

Oct 19, 2013
Where did you get it? On the play store it says that it is not available for this device.
http://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/htc-blinkfeed-plugins-devices-08-03-2015-t3049438

Make sure u install all files for it to work perfect and the reason i think it wont let u download it from play store is coz they are htc only apps but u ll have all apk files just install them and choose SENSE HOME in DISPLAY settings and get ready for a lag free UI ?

qwerthj

Jul 5, 2005
D855 32GB

A lot of D855 with 32GB storage killed by Lollipop OTA update. No more GSM or WCDMA, only LTE after update. No problem if updated by cable.

WBR
qwerthj

Mistic92

Dec 12, 2010
Warsaw
I just updated my old N4 to 5.1. Guys. G3 is very laggy compared to N4 with 5.1. Even on 5.0.1 nexus 4 was smoother. I hope in 5.1 G3 will show power.

Reactions: onetik

onetik

Jun 29, 2011
Sydney
I just updated my old N4 to 5.1. Guys. G3 is very laggy compared to N4 with 5.1. Even on 5.0.1 nexus 4 was smoother. I hope in 5.1 G3 will show power.

I did the same exact thing and I have the same exact opinion. When playing games like Asphalt 8, the smoothness of the Nexus 4 is on a different league to that of the G3. Its unbelievable how a 2012 device can **** all over a 2014 flagship.

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

PauldUK

Dec 27, 2010
Hi guys. I have the LG-D855 32GB, 3GB RAM model, sim free. When I check for an update to 5.0 it says my phone is up to date. My phone is still running 4.4.2. I am in the UK. Surely there should be the 5.0 update to my phone by now?

Apr 28, 2011
Hi guys. I have the LG-D855 32GB, 3GB RAM model, sim free. When I check for an update to 5.0 it says my phone is up to date. My phone is still running 4.4.2. I am in the UK. Surely there should be the 5.0 update to my phone by now?

I've got the same, and am in the UK. I have 5.0, it updated the day I bought it, a few weeks back now.

Reactions: PauldUK

elmspace

Dec 17, 2014
Hamilton
LG G3 OTA update

Hey, so I have the D852 model and I had the exact same problem. I had to do the update my self, manually. My phone is with Rogers (Canadian), and I waited and waited and nothing. Even recently when I took it back to complete stock, and checked for update it said that my software is up to date, which was 4.4.2. So I think the problem is that the update is pushed by the carriers, so it could be from their end. You could call them up, but 99% sure they wont do anything. There are few things you can do:

- If you don't want to root your phone, then you are stuck on 4.4.2, which is not that bad, trust me 5.0 stock is not that much better.
- Else if you are ok with rooting, you could use the CloudyG3, which is android 5.0 on LG's built. So you get exactly what you get if you updated + some extra stuff.
- Or else, you could download the .tot or .kdz file for the 5.0 version for what ever model you have, this would be from a specific carrier and then use a PC to flash the image. This would give you android 5.0 as carriers intend them to be. (this one is ok, its basic + you would get all carrier crap apps)
- Or you could go with many many different custom ROMs that are out there, CM12, Android Ice cold project, Candy5 and so on. Just make sure they support your model. The good thing about this is that you would get update in the future, so now days we are getting 5.1 and you would get that.

I have tried all the above, just for fun, and let me know if you have any questions.
** One thing to keep in mind, make sure you read up before doing anything, its better to be safe :) last thing you want is to brick your phone.

I hop this helps.

PauldUK

Dec 27, 2010
Hey, so I have the D852 model and I had the exact same problem. I had to do the update my self, manually. My phone is with Rogers (Canadian), and I waited and waited and nothing. Even recently when I took it back to complete stock, and checked for update it said that my software is up to date, which was 4.4.2. So I think the problem is that the update is pushed by the carriers, so it could be from their end. You could call them up, but 99% sure they wont do anything. There are few things you can do:

- If you don't want to root your phone, then you are stuck on 4.4.2, which is not that bad, trust me 5.0 stock is not that much better.
- Else if you are ok with rooting, you could use the CloudyG3, which is android 5.0 on LG's built. So you get exactly what you get if you updated + some extra stuff.
- Or else, you could download the .tot or .kdz file for the 5.0 version for what ever model you have, this would be from a specific carrier and then use a PC to flash the image. This would give you android 5.0 as carriers intend them to be. (this one is ok, its basic + you would get all carrier crap apps)
- Or you could go with many many different custom ROMs that are out there, CM12, Android Ice cold project, Candy5 and so on. Just make sure they support your model. The good thing about this is that you would get update in the future, so now days we are getting 5.1 and you would get that.

I have tried all the above, just for fun, and let me know if you have any questions.
** One thing to keep in mind, make sure you read up before doing anything, its better to be safe :) last thing you want is to brick your phone.

I hop this helps.

Thanks very much for the info. My phone is sim free, so surely I shouldn't have to wait for any carriers to push the update to me?

elmspace

Dec 17, 2014
Hamilton
Thanks very much for the info. My phone is sim free, so surely I shouldn't have to wait for any carriers to push the update to me?

Then I guess you should be getting an update straight from LG. You can try calling them. I dont think they can do much, but I guess it wont hurt.

Stransky

Mar 28, 2011
Newtownabbey
Xiaomi Mi 6
Xiaomi Pad 6
@PauldUK
It very much depends on the Carrier and whether you have the Phone rooted or not. I have both a 16GB G3 D855 with EE and it auto downloaded the Lollipop
Rom, but my 32Gb D855 would not with the EE sim installed, I had to download the KDZ D85520H and install it with the LG Flash tool 2014. I think it is because the
32Gb G3s are international versions and not UK and the carriers do not recognize them as only the 16Gb versions were available in the UK.

Stransky

Reactions: PauldUK

doctorgallo

May 18, 2012

Try to update it via the LG PC Suite on your computer

Skickat från min LG-D855 via Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not waiting anything from LG. I had LG's best phones till now, the Optimus 2x and now the G3. They make awesome and powerful devices but they are crap at software developing. I bought the G3 for its hardware specifications. Now I'm just waiting for the developers to start working on roms, kernels, etc.... They will do a grate job I know it! So be patient and wait for the developers and not LG :D
    In custom roms we trust!:D
    Have you got this update on your G3? Does it come with any other improvements?

It will come first week of february by OTA 149mb with this improvement:

Lollipop stability/performance improvements.
    Knock Code stability enhancements.
    LG G Flex 2 themes.
    Update of GMS applications.
    Backend fixes for Android 5.0.1

This is just rumor coming from Korea...
    Here is my French test of 20A version on D855

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJuxHl9if3c

If you like it click on THANKS button please !
    It's great to see Lollipop on the G3, but I don't fully like LG's approach. Theres too much "old" LG KitKat-software beeing copied and pasted all over the new Android version. Old LG apps that were created for KitKat could use an update with the new fancyness of Lollipop. For example animations for menu dropdowns in LG apps are the old KitKat ones and notifications does not show up on the top of the screen the cool and useable way it does on stock Lollipop. Using volume rocker still gives an annoying "old-style" popup-window in the middle of the screen instead of a discrete one aligned to the top. It's sad but theres many Lollipop improvements and fancy animation styles that has been ripped out and replaced for the worse. I can just hope that LG are still in the works of changing this and bringing us a solid LG user interface that really feels "Lollipop" and fresh. CyanogenMod 12 is a cool option but personally I always return to stock thus it's more optimized and solid in the very end. I hope more users give their opinions about this to LG so we can have a nice future software experience!