[Discussion] Magisk - The Age of Zygisk.

Search This thread

pndwal

I did not find where it was mentioned but, basically release is the 'lite' version.
The debug version is the 'heavy' version including extra logging and more for debugging the Magisk build. 🙃

I might be wrong but..

Both canary (release) and debug are released at the same time and John does not specify a difference between the two.
They both point back to the latest commit at the time of their release.

Magisk [GitHub] - Release new canary build
magisk-files [GitHub] - Update Canary Channel: Upstream to 9183a0a6
magisk-files [GitHub] - Commit history.​

So I assume the current debug version is still just the debug version of the canary build. ;)

The current Magisk build script.
./build.py --help
Code:
usage: build.py [-h] [-r] [-v] [-c CONFIG] {all,binary,app,stub,emulator,avd_patch,clean,ndk} ...

Magisk build script

optional arguments:
  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  -r, --release         compile in release mode
  -v, --verbose         verbose output
  -c CONFIG, --config CONFIG
                        custom config file (default: config.prop)

actions:
  {all,binary,app,stub,emulator,avd_patch,clean,ndk}
    all                 build everything
    binary              build binaries
    app                 build the Magisk app
    stub                build the stub app
    emulator            setup AVD for development
    avd_patch           patch AVD ramdisk.img
    clean               cleanup
    ndk                 setup Magisk NDK

Cheers. :cowboy:
Close, but not quite right; this is still correct:
Just a minor note: Magisk Canary is now app-release, not app-debug...

If you installed app-debug, you're either on an old Canary build, or you've installed new Debug instead of Canary...

The 'debug version of the canary build' (built with debug build flag) is not now considered 'Canary', but 'Debug', and not suitable for daily use...

The Canary designation has been re-purposed for builds built with release build flag and deemed suitable for daily use...

Previously, only workflow files built with debug build-flags were supplied to Canary ( https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk-files/tree/canary ) repo (although likely files built with release flags were actually produced). Ie. we had:
IMG_20220705_105004.jpg

... We now have:
IMG_20220705_105233.jpg

supplied.

The change is that app-debug.apk has become the package for the new Debug channel (ie. it is no longer 'Canary' per se), and app-release.apk is now the new Canary... John clarified that 'Canary is now built as release'...

Confusion probably comes from the fact that the magisk-files canary-tree repo is still used for both, but this of course makes sense considering they are always synced builds produced in tandem so that Debug is simply the debug build of new Canary releases with a new name. (Actually the notes.md file is shared at present)...

This can also be seen by examining the JSON sets at https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk-files
where canary.json calls app-release.apk and debug.json calls app-debug.apk, but these are the same synced builds hosted at a common URL per commit...

As mentioned, Canary can be used for daily use going forward, but 'Debug builds should only be used if you are actively developing Magisk, or if you want to submit bug reports'. Especially once proposed changes (adding symbols and maybe some sanitizers, and enabling core dumps on debug executables for better debugging and auditing) are made, Debug should not be used daily. 'These changes can be an issue on older devices, and could significantly affect performance'
www.twitter.com/topjohnwu/status/1525753967954628608

😛 PW

Last edited:

angelomb

Jun 4, 2013

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-04-23-00-34-500_io.github.huskydg.magisk.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-04-23-00-34-500_io.github.huskydg.magisk.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_2022-07-04-23-00-27-314_io.github.huskydg.magisk.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-04-23-00-27-314_io.github.huskydg.magisk.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_2022-07-04-23-00-20-791_io.github.huskydg.magisk.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-04-23-00-20-791_io.github.huskydg.magisk.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 80

itt533

Nov 12, 2020
chennai
so far i enabled app hiding feature in magisk, installed denylistunmount (and disabled "enforce denylist") and safetynetfix modules and put banking apps in denylist. Two banking apps seem to work, at least they don't complain. Not yet tried logging and everything... but gpay is showing a blank screen and seems to hang only. G-play says "device is not certified".

Ace_Cole

Jul 5, 2022
I found out on latest update of "App cloner", I couldn't avoid it detecting root.. I updated from magisk TJW 23.0 official to fork magisk delta 25.1 if incase it will work but no way.. root still detected. Check attached snapshots.
Zygisk disabled
Magisk hide enabled
App added on denylist

Attachments

• IMG_20220705_124421.jpg
    IMG_20220705_124421.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20220705_124328.jpg
    IMG_20220705_124328.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20220705_124255.jpg
    IMG_20220705_124255.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 70

huskydg

Feb 17, 2021
I found out on latest update of "App cloner", I couldn't avoid it detecting root.. I updated from magisk TJW 23.0 official to fork magisk delta 25.1 if incase it will work but no way.. root still detected. Check attached snapshots.
Zygisk disabled
Magisk hide enabled
App added on denylist
This is warning from your system security app, not from the app itself

Reactions: J.Michael

Ace_Cole

Jul 5, 2022
And if you press OK and relaunch the app?
It would launch normally and ignore root, but if I unroot my device, it open normally without that screen.. I'm only concern that it still could detect root after hiding it, and installing those other hidden modules.

Also Magisk detector still see su file exist in path and init.rc modified

Any way to know specific means those app uses in getting root? And how to block it?

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
How to solve this? I use Xiaomi Redmi 9 android 10. Thanks 😊
Are you asking about com.miui.securitycenter

Did you add it to DenyList?
See the screenshots

You might need to enable Show System and Show OS apps to be able to see in the Magisk app, Configure DenyList

Alternatively (if it won't show in Configure DenyList), DenyList can be managed through the Terminal:
Code:
su
magisk --denylist ls
magisk --denylist add com.miui.securitycenter
magisk --denylist ls

Attachments

• IMG_20220705_173339.jpg
    IMG_20220705_173339.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20220705_173437.jpg
    IMG_20220705_173437.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 30

Ace_Cole

Jul 5, 2022
Are you asking about com.miui.securitycenter

Did you add it to DenyList?
See the screenshots

You might need to enable Show System and Show OS apps to be able to see in the Magisk app, Configure DenyList

Alternatively (if it won't show in Configure DenyList), DenyList can be managed through the Terminal:
Code:
su
magisk --denylist ls
magisk --denylist add com.miui.securitycenter
magisk --denylist ls
Okay thanks. I'll try that and give feedback.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Okay thanks. I'll try that and give feedback.
But I see now that you started by asking about App Cloner

I don't see App Cloner in the MIUI Security. If that App Cloner is a third party app, then adding Security to DenyList would have no effect/not help

Then I don't know why somebody recommended you to add MIUI Security to DenyList - my previous post was exclusively about adding Security to DenyList (since I remember that with some MIUI version and/or some Magisk version, Security was not showing in DenyList or in MagiskHide and I needed to be added through CLI in Terminal)

Ace_Cole

Jul 5, 2022
But I see now that you started by asking about App Cloner

I don't see App Cloner in the MIUI Security. If that App Cloner is a third party app, then adding Security to DenyList would have no effect/not help

Then I don't know why somebody recommended you to add MIUI Security to DenyList - my previous post was exclusively about adding Security to DenyList (since I remember that with some MIUI version and/or some Magisk version, Security was not showing in DenyList or in MagiskHide and I needed to be added through CLI in Terminal)
Yes..

I was about to post an update because adding MIUI Security Center doesn't help either.

"App cloner" is a third party app. But I can't get it to stop detecting root since the last update. I configured everything but still can't get it to stop bringing the root detected warning before starting.. that's my issue which I hope to get solution from great developers . Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220705_170107.jpg
    IMG_20220705_170107.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 23

aiamuzz

Dec 24, 2011
Hi,

Don't know if this is the right place ... anyways ...

Firstly I don't have a clue why my github issue got closed by a bot.

Secondly I need help to get the Banking app working ...

Any help appreciated.

thanks.

emyaqin

Dec 14, 2016
Tangerang
Hi,

Any help appreciated.

thanks.
Use Shamiko or DenyList Unmount, disable Enforce DenyList

martyfender

Mar 9, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Hi,

Any help appreciated.

thanks.
Please report issues using the latest debug Magisk build (version code: 25101)
Are you on the latest debug build of magisk? You must be to report issues.

Top Liked Posts

Hello friends .
    I have a Redmi 9 (Global) Codename : Lancelot
    Installed magisk via custom recovery (twrp and shrp) and root is sucess , but zygisk doesnt work , when I enable it in settings and reboot , in magisk zygisk : no . I used official MIUI 11.0.4. 11.0.7 11.0.9 12.0.1 12.0.4 Android 10 and zygisk still no success , although it worked on Lineage 18.1 Android 11 and Pixel Experience 12.1 Plus but I want to use MIUI and I want it to be MIUI android 10 to be exact because of some complexity of android 11 in Xiaomi devices I avoid android 11 . now back to MIUI 12.5.6 Android 11 to see if works at all or not , then I'm gonna try EEA or Europe MIUI Roms But before that I'm here to see if others have the same problem with their Xiaomi ? If yes , any fixes yet ?

Edit : Fixed by flashing latest Global MIUI Rom ,for almost a week I was looking for a way around Redmi 9 android 10 zygisk but was not successful . Switch to android 11 and it will work like a charm but I lost TWRP decryption in Android 11 my internal storage is encrypted while in TWRP . Didnt try EEA roms .
    It's of-topic (TWRP and encryption) but:

- Generally, when switching ROMs, it's required to Format Data.
    Don't know what exactly you did but you can try that

- Sometimes it may also help to experiment by switching between pin, pattern and no Android unlock screen setting

- Make sure you use the latest TWRP

- TWRP.me does not support A12 encryption yet. However, there are SKKK TWRP versions (for various Xiaomi models) that do support (beta development stage):
    Hello friends .
    I have a Redmi 9 (Global) Codename : Lancelot
    Installed magisk via custom recovery (twrp and shrp) and root is sucess , but zygisk doesnt work , when I enable it in settings and reboot , in magisk zygisk : no . I used official MIUI 11.0.4. 11.0.7 11.0.9 12.0.1 12.0.4 Android 10 and zygisk still no success , although it worked on Lineage 18.1 Android 11 and Pixel Experience 12.1 Plus but I want to use MIUI and I want it to be MIUI android 10 to be exact because of some complexity of android 11 in Xiaomi devices I avoid android 11 . now back to MIUI 12.5.6 Android 11 to see if works at all or not , then I'm gonna try EEA or Europe MIUI Roms But before that I'm here to see if others have the same problem with their Xiaomi ? If yes , any fixes yet ?

Edit : Fixed by flashing latest Global MIUI Rom ,for almost a week I was looking for a way around Redmi 9 android 10 zygisk but was not successful . Switch to android 11 and it will work like a charm but I lost TWRP decryption in Android 11 my internal storage is encrypted while in TWRP . Didnt try EEA roms .
    I think you just need to Learn to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. 😜 ...

The whole point is:
    You didn't keep the Machine
    a secret; You've told the world!...
    ... all is NOT lost!!!

In case you still want Android 10 w/ root (downgrade again):

Your issue is very similar to this (but root was lost also for some):
    https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/6095

Fix just completed (by Canyie, who incidentally became an adult a few days ago! 😃 ); Affected Redmi Note 4 on A7, Realme 6 on A12, etc...

Root fixed here:
    https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/6095#issuecomment-1207255175
    Zygisk fixed here apparently:
    https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/6095#issuecomment-1207369066

You could try the early test build linked there...

Fix merged in Magisk (still downstream of any releases) here:
    52ba6d1 Don't let remote errors crash Zygisk
    with a further fix merged for Zygisk loading in:
    1735a71 Use ANDROID_DLEXT_FORCE_LOAD to load second stage if possible

You could try the final Actions run trial Magisk build here:
    Use `ANDROID_DLEXT_FORCE_LOAD` to load second stage if possible
    (build in artifacts .zip at end, need to log in to download.)

...Or just wait for next official Magisk release, most likely Canary...

🤠 PW

"I'm afraid I don't understand something. Is the Premier threatening to explode this if our planes carry out their attack?"
    "No sir. It is not a thing a sane man would do. The doomsday machine is designed to to trigger itself automatically."
    "But this is absolute madness, ambassador. Why should you build such a thing?"
    "There are those of us who fought against it, but in the end we could not keep up with the expense involved in the arms race, the space race, and the peace race. And at the same time our people grumbled for more nylons and washing machines. Our doomsday scheme cost us just a small fraction of what we'd been spending on defense in a single year. But the deciding factor was when we learned that your country was working along similar lines, and we were afraid of a doomsday gap."
    "This is preposterous. I've never approved of anything like that."
    "Our source was the New York Times."
    "Dr. Strangelove, do we have anything like that in the works?"
    Latest Official TJW Canary (release) & Debug (debug) Magisk builds:

Magisk (f42c089b) (25102)​

• [MagiskInit] Fix a potential issue when stub cpio is used
    • [MagiskInit] Fix reboot to recovery when stub cpio is used
    • [General] Better data encryption detection
    • [General] Move the whole logging infrastructure into Rust

Diffs to v25.1​

• [MagiskInit] Fix a potential issue when stub cpio is used
    • [MagiskInit] Fix reboot to recovery when stub cpio is used
    • [General] Better data encryption detection
    • [General] Move the whole logging infrastructure into Rust
    https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk-files/blob/8fce25209918072f18b5bb056c43f596f771324d/notes.md

👍 PW
    Is it possible to find out what an app detects? I have Shamiko 0.5.1 installed and somehow a banking app still detects root. This is the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ro.raiffeisen.eToken&hl=ro&gl=US
    I just tried it on my phone (stock rom, Magisk 24.3, Shamiko 0.5.0, USNF).
    Without doing anything, it detects root.
    Adding it to denylist, still detects root.
    Freezing the Magisk app, goes through!
    I just tried it on my phone (stock rom, Magisk 24.3, Shamiko 0.5.0, USNF).
    Without doing anything, it detects root.
    Adding it to denylist, still detects root.
    Freezing the Magisk app, goes through!
    It's now been reported a number of times that freezing the Magisk app helps thwart root detection in many cases.

So ... I now believe that what we need to do is not talk about that publicly too much, so that the banking-and-other-kinds-of-app developers who might check these forums don't catch on to the fact the Magisk app itself doesn't actually provide any run-time Magisk functionality.

This way, those developers will keep thinking that checking for the existence of a non-frozen Magisk app itself is sufficient.

Given the intelligence level of some of the banking people who lamely think that it's important to block root access under Android in order to "protect" their provided banking functionality, this ruse might actually be quite effective in many cases.

After all, anyone who accesses a bank via their desktop computer is doing so on a rooted machine, and those idiotic banking software designers don't even care about "protecting" us against that. And those same banks issue us debit cards that we carry in our stealable wallets, and they don't prohibit us from using those debit cards, either. They go crazy only over trying to protect people against rooted Android devices, which are no more insecure than desktop computers and wallet-borne debit cards.
    How should I hide apps?
    ... its just an addon script that (attempts, as best possible) to hide whatevers in the Deny List
    Just to avoid confusion/ be clear, Shamiko does not hide apps (in denylist or otherwise)...

It's akin to old MagiskHide, and hides traces of root from apps in the list...
    ### Introduction
    Shamiko is a Zygisk module to hide Magisk root, Zygisk itself and Zygisk modules like riru hide.

Shamiko read the denylist from Magisk for simplicity but it requires denylist enforcement to be disabled first.
    @appleman_wp
    If you wish to hide apps detected by banks etc, try the Hide My Applist LSPosed module...
    I don't think Shamiko has a "Settings". I think you use the Magisk Manager app's deny list. If you do not "Enforce Deny List" in Magisk, then Shamiko will use Magisk's Deny List to tell it what to hide [traces of root] from.
    (Edits mine.)

Generally Shamiko is used without settings / extra configuration.
    ### Usage
    1. Install Shamiko and enable Zygisk and reboot
    1. Configure denylist to add processes for hiding
    1. *DO NOT* turn on denylist enforcement

However it can actually be reconfigured (by those game / mavericks 😛) for whitelist mode usage. Note caveats:
    #### Whitelist
    - You can create an empty file `/data/adb/shamiko/whitelist` to turn on whitelist mode and it can be triggered without reboot
    - Whitelist has significant performance and memory consumption issue, please use it only for testing
    - Only apps that was previously granted root from Magisk can access root
    - If you need to grant a new app root access, disable whitelist first

... ts theoretically possible to... bootloop your device... At which point myself and the other senior members will pass around the chalice of your tears and drink heartily from it...
    Sadist! 😜 PW
    Isn't there a way to hide root from Company Intune Portal app? I tried downgrading but it doesn't work... :(
    See this thread
    People are struggling to make it work (including me). Some have manually re-installed the previous version.
    This is a discussion and help thread for the newer versions of Magisk.

The main goal of this thread is to help users migrate to Magisk v24+
    • SafetyNet
      Basic integrity Pass
      CTS profile match Pass
    • Play Protect certification
      Device is certified

Feel free to discuss or give links to other Magisk related issues.
    Fixes for gPay, banking apps and/or other apps and games that detect a 'compromised' Android system.
    Please try to restrain from discussing alternative (unofficial) Magisk builds that include changes that were removed or can not be included in the official Magisk builds. 🙃

Please read John's State of Magisk (medium.com)

Starting with the Magisk 23 (23010) canary builds.
    • MagiskHide is removed.
      MagiskHide masked the sensitive properties of the device to hide it from SafetyNet.
      Renaming (repackaging) the Magisk app is/was not part of MagiskHide.
      You still have the option to Hide the Magisk app under setting.​
    • Magisk Module online Repo is removed.
      The Magisk Module online Repo is still available and can be accessed outside of the Magisk app.​
    • Everything SafetyNet is removed.
      This includes the SafetyNet check that was incorporated into the Magisk app.​
    • Zygisk is introduced.
      Zygote + Magisk = Zygisk​
    • The Deny list replaces the Hide list.
      The Hide list (more or less) hid Magisk from the process on the list.
      The Deny list is similar but instead of hiding Magisk from the process, Magisk is unloaded so there is nothing to hide.​

Starting with the Magisk 23 (23017) canary builds.
    • Magisk supports update channels per module.
      Each module can include it's own update link.​
    • Hide Magisk offline.
      You do not need internet connection to rename (repackage) the Magisk app.​

What does this mean?
    Not much.
    It is just the next step in Magisk's development.
    Zygisk is a big step forward. ;)

Even before these changes in Magisk, the xda family and the Android community have always been active and willing to share. :D

Jump to Post

This is post will be updated once Magisk v24 is released.
    Magisk
    The Magic Mask for Android.

Magisk Links:
    GitHub
    Release Notes

Download Links:
    Stable and Beta releases.
    Canary
    • GitHub
      The notes.md file is the change log.
      The app-debug.apk is Magisk canary.
      Click on app-debug.apk and choose View Raw or click on the Download option.​

Credits:
    topjohnwu
    All who contribute and support this project.
    Modules

MagiskHide Props Config
    This module allows you to add, change and adjust prop values systemlessly using Magisk.​

MagiskHide Props Config Links:

Download Links:

Credits:
    Didgeridoohan

Universal SafetyNet Fix
    It has been a year now since kdrag0n figured out how to 'trick' SafetyNet.
    This 'trick' has been implemented properly into quite a few custom roms.
    For custom roms that do not include it and/or stock roms, he turned it into a module.​

Universal SafetyNet Fix Links:

Download Links:

Credits:
    kdrag0n
    Apps

Fox's Magisk Module Manager
    This app allows you to manage and install Magisk modules.
    Including from an online repo.​

Fox's Magisk Module Manager Links:

Download Links:

Credits:
    Fox2Code

Play Intergrity API Checker
    This app shows info about your device integrity as reported by Google Play Services.
    If any of this fails could mean your device is rooted or tampered in a way (for example you have an unlocked bootloader).​

Development:

Download Links:

Credits:
    1nikolas

YASNAC - Yet Another SafetyNet Attestation Checker
    YASNAC (short for Yet Another SafetyNet Attestation Checker) is an Android app that demonstrates SafetyNet Attestation API.​

YASNAC Links:

Download Links:

Credits:
    RikkaW
    Force Basic Attestation

Newer devices are designed to support hardware attestation.
    Currently there is no way to hide the sensitive device properties when checked using hardware attestation.​

To get around this, kdrag0n figured out how trick SafetyNet that the device does not support hardware attestation.
    SafetyNet will then fall back to check using basic attestation.

Note:
    This method will work for devices that support hardware attestation and devices that do not.
    • Enable Zygisk.
    • Install the USNF module.
    • Reboot

To keep posts short, the instructions are hid by spoiler tags.
    If you have not installed Magisk.
    Follow the installation link in the Magisk post.​

Download the Universal SafetyNet Fix module.
    Download link is in the Modules post.​

1. Enable Zygisk
      • Open the Magisk app.
      • Go to Settings.
      • Scroll down to the Magisk section.
      • Toggle Zygisk on.
      • Go back to the Magisk Home screen.
    2. Go to Modules.
      • Select Install from storage.
      • Navigate to the Universal SafetyNet Fix module zip file and select it.
    3. Reboot.

The USNF module will adjust the sensitive props that are needed to pass SafetyNet.
    Depending on the device and system (ROM) configuration, you might need to adjust a few more.
    See the Adjust Prop values post.​