[Discussion] [News] [Help] [Tips & Tricks] [F800L/K/S] Korean Variants

Jesus is God Almighty

Aug 19, 2016
You tried A9 kernel again?

Are you using the latest TWRP? Use 3.4.x.x. Check my AFH account in the Pie Rom folder.

I really think while you are at all this you should just install my new A9 Rom. And I will improve on it with tweaks. It's way better than A8 as it is.. And performance is not the only concern. Apps are likely to be more compatible with A9 meaning some apps that were troublesome on A8 are not on A9.

Then again make up your own mind, but I have the same device as you as I'm pleasantly surprised by the Pie update. Major updates often slow a phone down but not in this case. Clearly software improvements in the system. The only reason I can' think of not to update is if you need the carrier apps which are bloated from my rom.

TB is still active and works the same as it always did. Personally I have always had problems with it but I don't know anything better. Restoring from a major update from a lower one might not go well either. It's good for restoring the apps itself but adding back it's data i.e. your settings, log-in settings, often doesn't go well.
Yes I did try your A9 kernel again and it did not go well, I am back on the old A8 kernel F800K. Seems much safer ;)
I'm using TWRP 3.5.0-9 I think it is called. I think I will stay with me Android 8, I know it from years of use. At least for now I think it will do.

Might just as well buy Titanium Backup and give it a try - and hope the developers come back if they have left it. It seemed to work with the new mobile, although I do not know as it died on me in the process of installing applications with my first minor drop with the mobile.

I have another Application to look into, Lucky patcher, if it can remove the spying from some of the apps and such. Would be nice, I have so many apps that sends info to whatever accordign to TrackerControl.

If anything I would like to try Lineage A10 - that would be close to my new mobile I think in build which also runs A10.

Jesus is God Almighty

Aug 19, 2016
@ezzony

surprisingly my H990N rooted device with Android 8 and your DS Global Kernel is running a lot better then my new used rooted F800K... With TWRP H990.

Had so many issues with the F800K, crashes and fails to backup and such - while the H990N now rooted, does not feel sluggish or unstable. Sure there was a lot of issues and hardship to get the H990N to that point, and unstableness, but when it was a done deal fixing A8 - it feels like it is not rooted at all.

Sadly... it's the broken old mobile of the two. Anyway trying to sort out the F800K if I can figure out something that would make it feel more smooth and firm.

Going to try some different TWRP versions, and at some point try the 6 downloaded Lineage Roms for different models to see if anyone wanna run on it, while most likely quickly going back to stock Rom. Just wanna see which versions might run, and how the sound is. Failed on the other. Really did not like Lineage much, terrible sound, terrible browser, and there was other weird issues. But it did run on the H990N but the Jack phone music was utter horrible with issues.

You know why we are using the us996 version for the F800's? Is it the best version to use overall, closest to the stats of the other variants?

Sad we don't have a supported version for the F800 of TWRP. Anyway... Getting older trying out all these things...

But the K800F does seem stable again, although it does not seem as smooth as the other rooted phone of the H990N.

Might be a problem with flashing with TWRP... Maybe I should flash the kernel from ADB or Fastboot... That must be possible, but I guess one might have variance as well on that being different versions. Like why would anything just work, we are talking about Google Android.

Jesus is God Almighty

Aug 19, 2016
TWRP is another messy thing, I found out some nutty things in that app overall... I might as well learn more on ADB and Fastboot and see if it can backup using some sanity. TWRP takes out things from the internal space when you make a backup or wanna store the whole internal drive with empty space and all... Talk about more Android crazy, total madhouse. A backup is something you use to restore everything, but nope, apparently we can't have a feature like that. We can have 2 nutty options only but not the standard sane way of doing things.
Not to happy with TWRP anymore, sick and tired of nonsense.

But there are some work arounds, apparently... Just sick and tired of needing to do work arounds all the time to make things do normal things that one wanna do as a user. Like this is sickness all over, nor giving the standard tools to the user but wacky wheeling all over with nutness.

Sadly the Pine phone and Librem phone are still far out in the distance for daily use. Root out of the box, that would be amazing, leaving all the nuttiness behind.

But who knows what that will end up with...

Anyway, just deeply frustrated overall... Waiting game, breaking, doing it all over again, test trying different things to see what works - and sometimes doing the exact same thing over getting different results... Like utter madhouse.

I'm now backing up 75 GB for a backup on one mobile, because? It has to save all the empty space to make a full backup of the internal storage... laughable while crying the floor to a river in agony.

ezzony

Jul 4, 2012
Dublin
Whatever is wrong with TWRP I've no idea. All I know is something is wrong. I've never had these problems like you have.

Lineage 18.1 worked brilliantly what I tested it. But you have to flash KDZ to get back to stock, and loose root and root all over again. So don't think you can just flash back a stock twrp backup. It won't work. Don't ask my why, I don't know.

Jesus is God Almighty

Aug 19, 2016
Whatever is wrong with TWRP I've no idea. All I know is something is wrong. I've never had these problems like you have.

Lineage 18.1 worked brilliantly what I tested it. But you have to flash KDZ to get back to stock, and loose root and root all over again. So don't think you can just flash back a stock twrp backup. It won't work. Don't ask my why, I don't know.
Well I think I will pass on Linage 18.1 - Its all good. I have both LG V20 mobiles rooted and running A8. Seems to be pretty stable both of them as well. Although the H990N does seem to run more smooth compared to the F800K - but it is still workable as long as it is not unstable and breaks down. The H990N is running with your Stock Kernel for DS Global, it is running real smooth. At least it as far as my experience goes, and feeling.
I have not had a crash on the H990N when running this setup with stock A8 and your kernel yet. And it is really running smooth, it really feels good even after installing all the apps. But maybe I need to push it more to get into issues of slowing down. Dunno. But compared the other, F800K, it does seems more speedy. Dunno why...

Dec 3, 2020
Since we're discussing Asian V20 variants, here's the status of all mine now. My goal is Lineage 18. I've been at this for A YEAR NOW:
1) F800L: Daily driver in a H990N housing. Don't want to mess with this until I have a replacement.
2) H990N; Identifies as US966 after DirtySanta was successful but somehow couldn't get LineageOS onto it. LGUP dual mode and patched wasn't working before but maybe I'd made a mistake. Wanted to repair with 9008 but couldn't figure out how to set that up with this variant.

3) F800S: This is the one I can tinker with. Flashed F800S, Android7, earliest patch but then couldn't root. Thought it was McAfee. Maybe it wasn't. But then Did just one OTA update, which was still before the Dec patch. After this, managed to get a root prompt. However, then could reboot into FASTBOOT! I still can't boot into fastboot! Not with pwr+vol down+plug or pwr+down+release and repress etc. Only download mode.

Is it true that I won't be able to get into FASTBOOT with a F800S until I cross-flash it with the F800L A7 firmware?

Dec 3, 2020
For going into Recovery mode, hold down volume down and turn the phone with the back button holding it to you see the screen turn on, while still holding the volume down, let off the back button for a second or so and push it again and a sec or so let go. Should take you into a menu
This the problem part for me. This isn't working as expected :-(

@jigahere is no way to fix static screen on Download Mode afaik. It is caused by the engineering aboot.img you flashed when bootloader unlocking. My kernel fixes, as does mk2000, it being there all the time! But not in DL mode.

I had static on my F800S. I used "upgrade" with the same A7 and the static went away.

re: Backup. CalyxOS has a backup feature built in. It doesn't have root though and no full GApps. It's also for the Pixel phones only and the Mi A2. I'm trying to get a new phone just for this kind of stuff. Sad, but true.

@DontReuseUsernames @ezzony

the F800K also comes with McAfee vaccine I think it was called, but that is an application so not sure why you would point that out as a problem - did not have any problem using Dirty Santa.
It may be an app but it's a system app designed to block rooting. Anyway, maybe it was simply that the oldest version of Android for the F800S isn't vulnerable to DirtySanta.

Reactions: ezzony

ezzony

Jul 4, 2012
Dublin
3) F800S: This is the one I can tinker with. Flashed F800S, Android7, earliest patch but then couldn't root. Thought it was McAfee. Maybe it wasn't. But then Did just one OTA update, which was still before the Dec patch. After this, managed to get a root prompt. However, then could reboot into FASTBOOT! I still can't boot into fastboot! Not with pwr+vol down+plug or pwr+down+release and repress etc. Only download mode.

Is it true that I won't be able to get into FASTBOOT with a F800S until I cross-flash it with the F800L A7 firmware?
[/QUOTE]

S won't root using dirty santa method, is well know. You have to crossflash to L using DL Partitions option in LGUP Patched, not upgrade or refurbish.

S/L/K KDZ are interchangeable, no matter what it say on the motherboard any rom will work. They all have the same partition layout and the same modem.

Dec 3, 2020
I've got a temporary root prompt on v10n-OCT2016 and I'm ready to run step2.sh on the F800S. Is it dangerous to try to root or maybe people just never thought to get to v10n-OCT2016 via OTA update?

S won't root using dirty santa method, is well know. You have to crossflash to L using DL Partitions option in LGUP Patched, not upgrade or refurbish.

ezzony

Jul 4, 2012
Dublin
I've got a temporary root prompt on v10n-OCT2016 and I'm ready to run step2.sh on the F800S. Is it dangerous to try to root or maybe people just never thought to get to v10n-OCT2016 via OTA update?
No it's not dangerous. It it fails your phone will just revert to the way it was. Most ppl have to do it a few times before they get it right. I did. Can do it my eyes closed now lol

Dec 3, 2020
Seems I wans't in FASTBOOT mode. I was in recovery mode.
adb reboot bootloader always goes into the o/s. I can't get into anything to flash aboot.img
The same goes for the F800L firmware as well as F800S

S/L/K KDZ are interchangeable, no matter what it say on the motherboard any rom will work. They all have the same partition layout and the same modem.
[/QUOTE]
No it's not dangerous. It it fails your phone will just revert to the way it was. Most ppl have to do it a few times before they get it right. I did. Can do it my eyes closed now lol

ezzony

Jul 4, 2012
Dublin
If the dirty santa method hangs it means you haven't got the required drivers installed, you need the google adb drivers and you need to be able to see the device in device manager.

Dec 3, 2020
If the dirty santa method hangs it means you haven't got the required drivers installed, you need the google adb drivers and you need to be able to see the device in device manager.
Thanks but no. On Mac I can access my other phones in fastboot:

Code:
% adb reboot bootloader
[email protected] Required files % fastboot devices
20200(redacted)    fastboot
But can't get into fastboot with the F800S with F800L firmware or the F800L mainboard with F800L firmware.
I read about this somewhere...

What I don't understand is that there is nothing in step1 and step2 to actually enable the missing fastboot mode so it's doing what's expected anyway

Last edited:

ezzony

Jul 4, 2012
Dublin
Thanks but no. On Mac I can access my other phones in fastboot:

Code:
% adb reboot bootloader
[email protected] Required files % fastboot devices
20200(redacted)    fastboot
But can't get into fastboot with the F800S with F800L firmware or the F800L mainboard with F800L firmware.
I read about this somewhere...

What I don't understand is that there is nothing in step1 and step2 to actually enable the missing fastboot mode so it's doing what's expected anyway
I just had a look at the dirtysanta code, it looks to me the new aboot.img is pushed in step 1. I think that's what applypatch does. So the original aboot does't have fastboot enabled but the new one does and should be available from that point.

So, after step 1, pull the battery and try to get into fastboot using the vol- button and inserting the usb cable from a powered down state. Then proceed from step 3 if your device went into fastboot.

Dec 3, 2020
I just had a look at the dirtysanta code, it looks to me the new aboot.img is pushed in step 1. I think that's what applypatch does. So the original aboot does't have fastboot enabled but the new one does and should be available from that point.

So, after step 1, pull the battery and try to get into fastboot using the vol- button and inserting the usb cable from a powered down state. Then proceed from step 3 if your device went into fastboot.
I appreciate the advice very much but sadly, still no luck :-( It just doesn't go into fastboot and I don't know why :-(
I guess even though I have a root prompt, fastboot isn't being added by DirtySanta for some reason. I guess I'll have to wade through the DirtySanta xdadevs thread to try to find something relevant. Would be nice to be able to search but "fastboot" as a search-term isn't going to help :/

Last edited:

ezzony

Jul 4, 2012
Dublin
I appreciate the advice very much but sadly, still no luck :-( It just doesn't go into fastboot and I don't know why :-(
I guess even though I have a root prompt, fastboot isn't being added by DirtySanta for some reason. I guess I'll have to wade through the DirtySanta xdadevs thread to try to find something relevant. Would be nice to be able to search but "fastboot" as a search-term isn't going to help :/
Can you get into Download Mode using the vol+ method? Oh of course you can if you flashed L KDZ. Just wondering if there might be a hardware fault e.g. the vol buttons, the usb cable, your pc usb port.

I don't know. Do you get a message that the patch was applied? In the PC terminal window or in the Term on the V20? I can't recall what msg feedback you get. Just wonding if the aboot.img is being flashed at all. Can't think of anything else for now.

Dec 3, 2020
The only stuff I get in logcat is the same as in the step1.sh window. I don't think aboot.img is being applied for some reason.

Can you get into Download Mode using the vol+ method? Oh of course you can if you flashed L KDZ. Just wondering if there might be a hardware fault e.g. the vol buttons, the usb cable, your pc usb port.

I don't know. Do you get a message that the patch was applied? In the PC terminal window or in the Term on the V20? I can't recall what msg feedback you get. Just wonding if the aboot.img is being flashed at all. Can't think of anything else for now.
Bash:
% ./step1.sh
dirtysanta: 1 file pushed, 0 skipped. 17.4 MB/s (18760 bytes in 0.001s)
aboot.img: 1 file pushed, 0 skipped. 27.5 MB/s (2097152 bytes in 0.073s)
dirtycow: 1 file pushed, 0 skipped. 5.9 MB/s (9984 bytes in 0.002s)
my-run-as: 1 file pushed, 0 skipped. 17.4 MB/s (13796 bytes in 0.001s)
warning: new file size (13796) and file old size (14360) differ

size 14360

[*] mmap 0x783e122000
[*] exploit (patch)
[*] currently 0x783e122000=10101464c457f
[*] madvise = 0x783e122000 14360
[*] madvise = 0 1048576
[*] /proc/self/mem -2122317824 1048576
[*] exploited 0x783e122000=10101464c457f
warning: new file size (9984) and file old size (165144) differ

size 165144

[*] mmap 0x797ce1f000