[DISCUSSION] Nexus S Port Discussion Thread

Search This thread

boqonx

Dec 22, 2004
Hong Kong
Teamdouche is in fact working really hard on building CM7 based on GB. Take a look at twitter.com/cmsrc, you'll see a bunch of things have been committed to Gingerbread branch over the past 2-3 days or so.
As far as their planning for CM6 i'm not quite sure, but I'm guessing they might release minor updates for CM6 OR ditch it completely like they did when they went from CM5 to CM6 (Which means that they'll ditch froyo, but we'll never know until we find out if GB is light enough to run on legacy devices like G1 and the likes)

nobugs

Sep 12, 2007
the SGS CM team has ditched CM6 and is fully committed to developing GB on all Galaxy S phones, namely the i9000 and vibrant....

g00ndu

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2008
I see many fan boys here, from different camps. /me sits back, eats popcorns and enjoy the show. Let the show begins..... :D

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

ock

Mar 9, 2010
Looks like the galaxy s needs more developers to focus their efforts on one project instead of many...
Yup, the whole spectrum of developers who port stuff, create new themes etc. Let's not chase them away with nasty remarks.

Not forgetting too that they spend their free time staring at computer screens while we are playing with our devices. Let's be patient and appreciative of their work.

ross_ctr

Jul 12, 2010
Heathfield
Alright, so here's what I understand: both AOSPs and "dumps" are ROMs. The AOSP is a ROM built entirely from Google's Android source, while a "dump" is a ROM dumped from an actual device. Is that it?

With this in mind, what is supercurio building? I understand that he has somehow obtained a Nexus S dump which he then managed to flash it to an i9000 and make it work to some extent. At this point my understanding becomes pretty blurry: (a) he seems, on the one hand, to be pursuing the path of perfecting this dump, so it works fine on the i9000--that is, without having to build everything from scratch (i.e. from Google code); this is the path that makes the most sense, given the many HW similarities b/w the Nexus S and the i9000. Alternatively, he more recently seems to have (b) joined forces with the CM team, but this is where things get weird, as, to my knowledge, the CM guys ain't building Gingerbread, but Froyo(!) AOSP. Why would supercurio suddenly switch to Froyo, when he was doing such promising work with Gingerbread?

Anyway, it could very well be that supercurio is actually pursuing both paths, though he is certainly giving mixed signals in this respect. Also, it could be that CM are building both Froyo and Gingerbread AOSPs, though this sounds to me like a terrible waste of resources.

Anyone care to illuminate us? Perhaps SC 'imself? :)

I think IIRC, I read on the Cyanogen forums, that they will be working on an AOSP build which will help them with CM6.1/7. Correct me if I'm wrong.

codeworkx

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 20, 2010
Bad Neustadt
We've already created a dev-team and are working together.
To communicate we're using a secret forum and a dev only irc channel.
If there are any important news you should know, we'll tell you.

Reactions: spyrale

CroSladi

Oct 21, 2010
We've stopped developing on CM6.1.
I think it's easier to get a fully working gingerbread (because of nexus s sources).
After gingerbread is running fully, we'll do a CM7 port.

AWESOME

Thank you for also contributing in this although you don't have the best memories with xda

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Aqua1ung

Jun 17, 2010
I think it's easier to get a fully working gingerbread (because of nexus s sources).
Well, that's certainly nice to hear. How come you haven't yet announced this in the CM forums though? At least for donors' sake, just so they can stop fretting...

Anyway, I've been asking for this for some time now, and I'm glad to see you're moving in this direction.

codeworkx

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 20, 2010
Bad Neustadt

sztupy

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 21, 2008
Edinburgh
sztupy.hu
We've already created a dev-team and are working together.
To communicate we're using a secret forum and a dev only irc channel.
If there are any important news you should know, we'll tell you.

I don't see the point on building FOSS and similar stuff using secret forums... Unless you tell me a reason not giving RO access is fine.

yubnub

Aug 24, 2010
I just took the plunge and gave this a go.

I was a bit hesitant at first as after all the hype of "froyo" I thought that this may be pointless to try (bearing in mind it is only a demo and not yet functional)

How wrong could I be! - it is so fast and responsive, also the design and interface are really nice also,

Top work again SC (and the team) - I really cant wait for this to be useable as a day to day rom,

thanks!

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009

Amazing , now im finally glad that i went with the galaxy s , thanks guys!

This is what samsung should do, STOP working on froyo and move on to gingerbread

Last edited:

frandromeda

Oct 27, 2010
I don't see the point on building FOSS and similar stuff using secret forums... Unless you tell me a reason not giving RO access is fine.

I agree in principle, but I understand where they're coming from too. No matter how many times you tell people to read the first post, not ask for launch dates, etc, the posts get flooded with thanks, questions, and irrelevant arguments. No one wants to wade through that mess to find the nugget of useful information if you're trying to do development.

It would be nice to see xda have members-only-post threads, where you have to be invited by the OP to be allowed to post, but everyone can read...

dcarr622

Oct 18, 2008
dcarr.io
Would be great to have read-only access to at least track progress of the Gingerbread dev.

How does the progress of Gingerbread on Galaxy S compare to the overall work getting Gingerbread lined up for CyanogenMod?

CroSladi

Oct 21, 2010
Would be great to have read-only access to at least track progress of the Gingerbread dev.

How does the progress of Gingerbread on Galaxy S compare to the overall work getting Gingerbread lined up for CyanogenMod?

+1 for RO or at least a live ticker

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is CM 6.1 done with and you are doing exclusively Gingerbread?

Waiting for the fixed kernel issues ;)
    Will then do all the ROM stuff ;)
    There is no point in making a rom for gingerbread as it is good the way it is and tremendously fast as well.

~Webstar1
    It is actually to get a fully optimized stock Android experience without, Samsung's framework.

Darkyy's Rom is by far the best I have used. I used the Cyanogen Mod Rom from Aery and Coolya and thought that the performance was incredible, but it lacked all the functionality for day to day use.

You get a team together like Darkyy, Supercurio and Aery/Coolya working on a Gingerbread port, then that is a Rom worth paying for. (I'm aware that all their work would be fairly separate, but if they have a shared github, that would be ideal)

Gingerbread will be further optimized than anything at Samsung at the moment and will allow more modifying through a more compartmentalized android framework. I understand that even the notification bar now has it's own APK. Someone like Darkyy could really exploit this and turn the Android experience into their own (then share it).

Once a cleaner ROM is available for the Galaxy S series, it could make for speedier updates within the Dev community when compared with the Carrier controlled updates that are causing us to lash out at Samsung.
    Darky is just a repackager/skinner. He has probably never used github so acting like he is a pro like supercurio is actually funny.

Could you stop flaming against me in every thread?

I never said I'm a coder.
    Darky is just a repackager/skinner. He has probably never used github so acting like he is a pro like supercurio is actually funny.

+1 you cant put darky in the same boat as supercurio.
    Although his work is pretty :rolleyes:

+1 people often mistake these repacker/skinners for real chefs.

So a new thread is created to discuss the gingerbread port and keep the dev thread clean, and now it turns into a *****fest about who is and isn't a chef
    mad.gif

Come on ladies, put the handbags down and keep to the topic intended ;)