[discussion] reducing risks when trying treble

Search This thread

snoerme

Dec 19, 2016
Hi,
It seems noone so far tryed to flash a treble GSI to the redmi 6. Im courious in doing this, but would like to discuss potential risks. What could go wrong?

After some reading i found the possibility that devices get problems running Google Apps, since they we're not certified.
To prevent this, you can register your Google Services ID in your Google Account.

1) Install the App "device ID" from Playstore, run it and copy the GSF.
2) Open this Page and paste your GSF. Click register, and your done.

Another thing is that there are two types of GSI Updates.
Type A/B and Type A. I ran the App "treble Check" from Playstore and it tells me that the redmi 6 ist treble supported and that I need the Type A GSI

Then it seems necessary to remove magisk/superSu/xposed to have a clean boot Image.

Loosing data is no problem for me.

Anyone any suggestions?

Reactions: MeT4L

bilatche

Dec 7, 2010
Tell us what works and what doesn't work.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

You use the TWRP in test ?

snoerme

Dec 19, 2016
..i will not flash until i'm pretty Sure, nothing will go wrong.
I would like to understand what ist technicaly done.

After what i've read, its a normal fastboot flash, of the system partition. So, am I still able to run TWRP If anything goes wrong?

I guess the way to go, is to do a clean Fastboot flash of the official MiUi10 in advance to make sure my boot/ramdisk is clean. Then I would reflash TWRP and last the GSI.

What do you think?
(beside from 'let others risk their phone')

bilatche

Dec 7, 2010
please, which treble GSI AOSP rom (8.1 or 9.0) advised with the most things working (calls, camera, fingerprint, sound...)??
thanks

anish sk

Jul 7, 2014
i think Android 8.1 gsi rom is more stable as of now.
if u want to flash gsi rom
1. unlock bootloader by official way
2. flash twrp
3. do a factory reset in twrp
4. flash rom.
that's all.

Last edited:

bilatche

Dec 7, 2010
nobody has tested yet?

no feed back on what's working and what doesn't?

Last edited:

vasillek

Jun 4, 2010
Zlín
I think i am gonna test soon, just gotta get some info... i was flashing intesively lot of phones in past, but now i had pause few years... seems lot of things changed - treble?! whaat?!
I just got this redmi 6, although i wanted 5, and seems it was big mistake, but nonetheless im gonna try and see. I dont remember any phone with 0 info and 0 feedback few years back.

TanRayCz

Jul 16, 2018
Opava

After what i've read, its a normal fastboot flash, of the system partition. So, am I still able to run TWRP If anything goes wrong?

I guess the way to go, is to do a clean Fastboot flash of the official MiUi10 in advance to make sure my boot/ramdisk is clean. Then I would reflash TWRP and last the GSI.

What do you think?

I Android world, if you experience like this, always something goes wrong. It's about testing what works, what doesn't. If you do things like these, you can't rely on stability anymore

Tech_Expert

Mar 26, 2019
It seems noone so far tryed to flash a treble GSI to the redmi 6. What could go wrong?
Hey there everyone!
Since there are no custom ROM's currently available for our Redmi 6, i decided to give GSI ROM's a try. I tried los 15.1, and it worked! Wifi, bt, and even camera work. The only problem: The radio's don't work, so you cant make calls / sms /data. Other then that, the ROM is super fast and speedy. Also, there are no GApps and its not certified, so we gotta certify it :) I've tried only Lineage, but you can also try RR, HavocOS etc.

BTW, the Redmi 6 is ARM and A only.

Tech_Expert

Mar 26, 2019
Feedback from GSI Lineage OS

Hey Everyone!
I recently tried Lineage OS 15.1 GSI, and I've made a thread with all you wanna know here:
https://xdaforums.com/redmi-6/how-to/rom-gsi-lineage-os-redmi-6-t3915146

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Tell us what works and what doesn't work.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

You use the TWRP in test ?
Hey there !
Since there are no custom ROM's currently available for our Redmi 6, i decided to give GSI ROM's a try. I tried los 15.1, and it worked! Wifi, bt, and even camera work. The only problem: The radio's don't work, so you cant make calls / sms /data. Other then that, the ROM is super fast and speedy. Also, there are no GApps and its not certified, so we gotta certify it I've tried only Lineage, but you can also try RR, HavocOS etc.
https://xdaforums.com/redmi-6/how-to/rom-gsi-lineage-os-redmi-6-t3915146

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

What do you think?
You don't need to fastboot flash the img, you can use TWRP too. And yes, TWRP works if anything goes wrong and worst case use Mi flash and rescue your phone. I tried los 15.1, here are my thoughts: https://xdaforums.com/redmi-6/how-to/rom-gsi-lineage-os-redmi-6-t3915146

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

please, which treble GSI AOSP rom (8.1 or 9.0) advised with the most things working (calls, camera, fingerprint, sound...)??
thanks
Imo, this (https://xdaforums.com/redmi-6/how-to/rom-gsi-lineage-os-redmi-6-t3915146) boots and works, but no calls :crying: If you want calls you'll need cereus's drivers. Don't expect everything to work with GSI.

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

nobody has tested yet?

no feed back on what's working and what doesn't?

Hey there !
Since there are no custom ROM's currently available for our Redmi 6, i decided to give GSI ROM's a try. I tried los 15.1, and it worked! Wifi, bt, and even camera work. The only problem: The radio's don't work, so you cant make calls / sms /data. Other then that, the ROM is super fast and speedy. Also, there are no GApps and its not certified, so we gotta certify it I've tried only Lineage, but you can also try RR, HavocOS etc.
https://xdaforums.com/red...dmi-6-t3915146

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

I think i am gonna test soon, just gotta get some info... i was flashing intesively lot of phones in past, but now i had pause few years... seems lot of things changed - treble?! whaat?!
I just got this redmi 6, although i wanted 5, and seems it was big mistake, but nonetheless im gonna try and see. I dont remember any phone with 0 info and 0 feedback few years back.

Hey there !
https://xdaforums.com/red...dmi-6-t3915146 Btw, the Redmi 5 is better. Bigger screen, faster Snapdragon gpu, ir blaster etc

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

i think Android 8.1 gsi rom is more stable as of now.
if u want to flash gsi rom
1. unlock bootloader by official way
2. flash twrp
3. do a factory reset in twrp
4. flash rom.
that's all.
Hey which gsi rom is the best in your opinion?

unst4bl3

Jul 3, 2022
Oppo A37
Samsung Galaxy M31
Hi,
It seems noone so far tryed to flash a treble GSI to the redmi 6. Im courious in doing this, but would like to discuss potential risks. What could go wrong?

After some reading i found the possibility that devices get problems running Google Apps, since they we're not certified.
To prevent this, you can register your Google Services ID in your Google Account.

Type A/B and Type A. I ran the App "treble Check" from Playstore and it tells me that the redmi 6 ist treble supported and that I need the Type A GSI

Then it seems necessary to remove magisk/superSu/xposed to have a clean boot Image.

Anyone any suggestions?
Don't know bro, since your post was 5 years old but here it is showing arm32_binder64_ab_system.img or a64_system_ab.img will work fine...
i.e in short Android 13 gsi will definitely gonna work ;)

Reactions: snoerme

snoerme

Dec 19, 2016
Don't know bro, since your post was 5 years old but here it is showing arm32_binder64_ab_system.img or a64_system_ab.img will work fine...
I actually still Use this phone and am happy about your reply. Waited for IT about 5 years ;) These days i will not find time to give it a try, but i will report if this changes.. Hopefully not in 5 years ":)

jinjos

Hi, new here...
And with not so good English, I hope the translation is good enough...
I tried some gsi for Redmi 6 (without sim) aosp 14 and crdroid 10 (android 13)
And they all worked fine for me by and large (can't say about calls, sms and data)
There was only one big thing that bothered me, that the screen flickered a lot and everything was much whiter
Can anyone tell me something about this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Anyone any suggestions?
    Hi,

Anyone any suggestions?