[Discussion] T-MOBILE OP8 Update to 10.5.17/20. Signal Service loss..

jeffsga88

Jan 5, 2016
Looks like T-MOBILE OP8 got an update today...

Interesting that it's asking the user to "backup data".
Are you rooted? Mine shows up to date and I'm on 10.5.10. Might have to use MSM tool and then update and root afterwards unless someone can get the full firmware link.

iKevin

Mar 11, 2007
Are you rooted? Mine shows up to date and I'm on 10.5.10. Might have to use MSM tool and then update and root afterwards unless someone can get the full firmware link.
Mine is rooted as well and is on 10.5.10.IN55CB. No updates. Maybe I have to uninstall Magisk to see if the updates show up!

rekman

Apr 16, 2013
I just flashed the global rom the other day... Any ideas if the global will get the update to allow 5g SA at some point?

iKevin

Mar 11, 2007
I just flashed the global rom the other day... Any ideas if the global will get the update to allow 5g SA at some point?
It sucks that without the 5G SA, Tmo 5G feels like 3G or 4G in some areas... :(
The 5G SA might be just the modem firmware so if someone can back up his 5G SA modem file and provide to us then maybe we could store it to the global rom.

bkeaver

Dec 10, 2006
Dayton, Ohio
You know out side of speed the new update made my phone calls more stable. Between Cincinnati and Dayton I continually used to get dicey connections where you could only understand every other syllable and it was always in the same spots. Today not one time did the call waver, it was solid. Was pretty impressed, hopefully it stays that way.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

ruvy01

Oct 29, 2010
Oregon, PNW
Interesting I am only getting 25-30 Mbps download on standalone and get 120 - 170 Mbps download on LTE+NR
I'm the opposite, these are the speeds with good reception, somewhere in between Wilsonville and Aurora Oregon.

Attachments

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2007
Fargo
www.scottcrosler.com
I think when the bootloader is unlocked on the T-Mobile variants you wont get the update and if you do it will fail to install. At least that's the way it was on my 6T. BUt that seemed so much more simple to convert to international so I just never worried about it.

Whats also lame is the lack of download support for the T-Mobile device. I really dont like that but as you said, MSM back to original and update from there. Thats always quick, easy and fun.

need someone to fastboot twrp before the convert
Huh?

ecompton59

Jan 9, 2015
Lexington,sc
I think when the bootloader is unlocked on the T-Mobile variants you wont get the update and if you do it will fail to install. At least that's the way it was on my 6T. BUt that seemed so much more simple to convert to international so I just never worried about it.

Whats also lame is the lack of download support for the T-Mobile device. I really dont like that but as you said, MSM back to original and update from there. Thats always quick, easy and fun.

Huh?
If someone has stock rooted pull modem or find the update in a temp file on your device I know tmobile does updates differently

mammothjojo88

Apr 26, 2011
San Antonio
I am not rooted, so I'm not sure how it works on that end. I did factory reset after taking the update. The "backup data" suggest that there might be a modem update as well. I am however still having issues with text and calls. I notice if I leave my phone on wifi my service data signal and reception show an X by it. I had to also switch to LTE or 5G to send messages. No support for wireless buds yet though. Oh well. Calls do hold stronger as some of you have mentioned so, that's a right step in the right direction?

jeffsga88

Jan 5, 2016
Interesting I am only getting 25-30 Mbps download on standalone and get 120 - 170 Mbps download on LTE+NR
That's to be expected. SA means you're only using 1 band of NR (usually N71). It doesn't aggregate with LTE in standalone mode, therefore speeds will be less. The benefits is that since it's only connecting to 5G, the ping will be less (my ping is around 15ms on SA while 25-30ms on NSA) and signal for NR goes further as it's not connecting to LTE.

I'm the opposite, these are the speeds with good reception, somewhere in between Wilsonville and Aurora Oregon.
You're speedtest are from using NSA mode (NR + LTE) not SA mode. Most of the time you'll connect to NSA instead of SA for now unless you manually lock on to SA in settings, although I don't recommend doing that if it's your main phone as you won't be able to receive or make phone calls. Generally the max on N71 SA will be around 50mbps if on 10mhz and 100mbps if on 20mhz. Also ping times will be in the teens usually 12-18ms ping times on SA.

Yeah, to get the update I ended up having to use MSM tool and then update and re-root my phone. That was fun since MSM broke fingerprint reader (although knowing it was possible I used the readback function of MSM to save my persist partition). Thankfully fastboot flashing my persist fixed my fingerprint afterwards. I really hate that t mobile version gets rid of local upgrade option, don't understand why OnePlus agreed to remove that feature for t mobile.

Yeah , had to do the same, I would try to make a phone call and will state no signal, with all bars full. Also ppl kept calling me and going to VM.
Sounds like you were locked on to 5G SA. I've been doing testing and when locked on to 5G SA I wouldn't receive calls, but when I tried to make calls it would drop back to NSA or LTE to do the call over voLTE without an issue. If I manually selected NR only in settings, I couldn't make or receive calls, although that's expected as there is no voNR currently (not until next year devices using the x60 modem).

How do you know when you're on standalone?
Only way to know is if you manually force it in settings or use Network Signal Guru (although root is required as well as a license). Other Android apps aren't currently showing NR information. If you want to force it go in dialer and type:
Code:
*#*#4636#*#*
Then change to NR only for preferred network type. Again, I don't recommend doing so if it's your main device as in NR only mode you won't be able to make or receive calls.

shaneg79

Sep 10, 2009
That's to be expected. SA means you're only using 1 band of NR (usually N71). It doesn't aggregate with LTE in standalone mode, therefore speeds will be less. The benefits is that since it's only connecting to 5G, the ping will be less (my ping is around 15ms on SA while 25-30ms on NSA) and signal for NR goes further as it's not connecting to LTE.

You're speedtest are from using NSA mode (NR + LTE) not SA mode. Most of the time you'll connect to NSA instead of SA for now unless you manually lock on to SA in settings, although I don't recommend doing that if it's your main phone as you won't be able to receive or make phone calls. Generally the max on N71 SA will be around 50mbps if on 10mhz and 100mbps if on 20mhz. Also ping times will be in the teens usually 12-18ms ping times on SA.

Yeah, to get the update I ended up having to use MSM tool and then update and re-root my phone. That was fun since MSM broke fingerprint reader (although knowing it was possible I used the readback function of MSM to save my persist partition). Thankfully fastboot flashing my persist fixed my fingerprint afterwards. I really hate that t mobile version gets rid of local upgrade option, don't understand why OnePlus agreed to remove that feature for t mobile.

Sounds like you were locked on to 5G SA. I've been doing testing and when locked on to 5G SA I wouldn't receive calls, but when I tried to make calls it would drop back to NSA or LTE to do the call over voLTE without an issue. If I manually selected NR only in settings, I couldn't make or receive calls, although that's expected as there is no voNR currently (not until next year devices using the x60 modem).

Only way to know is if you manually force it in settings or use Network Signal Guru (although root is required as well as a license). Other Android apps aren't currently showing NR information. If you want to force it go in dialer and type:

Then change to NR only for preferred network type. Again, I don't recommend doing so if it's your main device as in NR only mode you won't be able to make or receive calls.
Then why did TMobile lie and say it would be 20-30% faster than LTE with lower ping?