[Discussion] T-MOBILE OP8 Update to 10.5.17/20. Signal Service loss..

Josh McGrath

Jan 16, 2013
Guess I'm finally with you guys on missing lots of calls and texts. I am also getting the "mobile network not available" when trying to make calls with full signal too though.

Tmobile testing is a joke.

Mikal2580

Aug 19, 2020
My input here, mine seems to have issue only in lower signal areas from what I can tell, especially when switching to WiFi and back. I put the WiFi calling preference to WiFi first, that seems to have helped. I also swapped out my 2-year old SIM to the new one that came with the OnePlus. Haven't seen much of an issue in the past few days. Just a suggestion to try for those with issue, because I definitely feel I didn't notice this issue at all until the latest update, but alas, T-Mobile "experts" have no reported issues with this (they say).

BookCase

Aug 3, 2009
Philadelphia
getapmobile.com
I am still completely stock and have been getting this update pushed to me daily but, I have not downloaded or installed it because I have been skeptical about the 5G, since my phone keeps reverting back to 4G. Upon reading this thread, I think I need to at least update my SIM card before accepting this update but, I may just hold back and not update until I see some better results/reviews.

I have already received my unlock token from OnePlus but, I have not unlocked my phone, yet.

Attachments

Josh McGrath

Jan 16, 2013
I am still completely stock and have been getting this update pushed to me daily but, I have not downloaded or installed it because I have been skeptical about the 5G, since my phone keeps reverting back to 4G. Upon reading this thread, I think I need to at least update my SIM card before accepting this update but, I may just hold back and not update until I see some better results/reviews.

I have already received my unlock token from OnePlus but, I have not unlocked my phone, yet.

Smart choice. Tmo 5g is a joke anyway. Wait till the next update and you should be good

Josh McGrath

Jan 16, 2013
The 5G coverage here on Long Island (NY) is extensive. I'm pulling up to 300mb/s down and 80mb/s up. Damn good speeds. Far more than you'd ever need on your cellphone.

You're one of the lucky ones, I only managed 120 ONCE but now it's back to 25 to 30, which honestly is good enough but not near the hype of 5g.

Dallas fort worth area here. They must be refarming here still because a local channel was using the 600mhz a couple years ago

jeffsga88

Jan 5, 2016
You're one of the lucky ones, I only managed 120 ONCE but now it's back to 25 to 30, which honestly is good enough but not near the hype of 5g.

Dallas fort worth area here. They must be refarming here still because a local channel was using the 600mhz a couple years ago
It really just depends on location. If you're in an area that t mobile has upgraded, you'll have great 5g service, on the other hand in areas that haven't been upgraded, the 5g service is not usually that great. The big deal will be when your area gets n41 upgrades, the n71 upgrades are good for coverage but not always great for speed. I happen to be in an area they upgraded n71 most of the place and 5g is pretty consistent around me. Speed wise, not always great but also knew not to expect great speeds on n71. So far though, I've only found 1 area with n41 and I'm a bit disappointed with the speeds even though they were about 400 Mbps, 60 MHz of n41 can do much better than that but t mobile backhaul on the site isn't great. Also, I personally wouldn't update to SA yet. I have SA running on my tmo op8 and op8 pro and can only make calls that automatically end after 21 seconds and can't receive calls at all. So, I've disabled SA and force 5g in NSA mode unless I'm doing testing. Even with the new r15 sim cards that they just released, still have the same issues with calls.

Edit: Added some screenshots. First one is of n71 actually having proper backhaul yet the 2nd screenshot is n41 running no where close to optimal because the backhaul on the cell site isn't that great.

Attachments

Last edited:

knightsh

Jun 4, 2012
Is there a trick or tip to send MMS messages? Probably 90% of the time my phone just sits on "sending" forever. Doesn't matter if on WiFi or just data, toggling airplane mode, etc. REALLY annoying.

Mikal2580

Aug 19, 2020
Is there a trick or tip to send MMS messages? Probably 90% of the time my phone just sits on "sending" forever. Doesn't matter if on WiFi or just data, toggling airplane mode, etc. REALLY annoying.
How's the signal in your area? That sounds a bit extreme. I'd contact the carrier if I were in that position.

Furious Froyo

May 29, 2020
What's the benefit of a R15 sim card?

I'll just answer my own question: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/latest-sim-for-great-network-experience#whatyouneed

To note, you need the R15 SIM to take advantage/things to work right. One should have came in the box with your device.
Unfortunately, it's already been confirmed the R15 SIM doesn't resolve the issue.

Which messaging app do you use?

knightsh

Jun 4, 2012
I only use Google apps where possible. Phone, Messages, etc. I'm on T-Mobile. Seems the only way I can send pictures is from within the Photos app. Click on my picture and share. If I try and add from within the Messages app it never sends.

Mikal2580

Aug 19, 2020
As an update, I had the disconnecting from network issue crop up again. Now, I 100% used the SIM that was in the box with the OnePlus 5G, and guess what, the SIM isn't the right one. Doesn't say R15 on the front, starts with TM. Called T-Mobile, they are expedite shipping me an R15 (2020) SIM. We'll see how this does. Basically, carefully check your SIM.

encephalon9986

Jan 7, 2008
Sprint devices aren't compatible with SA 5g yet, according to tmobile
Gotcha. Does anyone have an idea when that is planned to have support. I get 5g, but the best speeds I've gotten was in the 120s for dl but most of the time it's 20 and below. I'm also having issues when I make phone calls it times out after 2 rings and then I call again and it goes strait to voice mail. It takes a couple times to get a phone call to go through